Central Buckeye Conference (CBC) 2023

Secondary has struggled…not a lack of talent! just break down in coverage. The outside linebackers are both all league players so I dont know if your linebacker statement is true. They do miss Caudill but the younger brother is pretty tough. Dline is big. Chiefs get a two score lead in 2nd half it could be enough
I have to disagree the secondary is not even close to being at the same level as last years.
Don’t be shocked if London doesn’t test the secondary.
We will see just how good the Lbs are this week at stopping the run.

I have to disagree the secondary is not even close to being at the same level as last years.
Don’t be shocked if London doesn’t test the secondary.
We will see just how good the Lbs are this week at stopping the run.
Certainly a big test for the front 7. DLine has to play well or that can make a tough night for those LBs. Chiefs have a big dline but can they make plays in that chaos?

It doesn't matter that Bellefontaine's secondary is a mess considering that London doesn't know what a forward pass is lol.

Big divergence of styles between the two. Probably comes down to if London can control the line of scrimmage and time of possession. Chiefs defense has to be able to get off the field and not let them consistently run for 5-6 yard chunks.
Well said if London controls the clock it’s a long night for the chiefs 💯

London seems to have thrown the ball more than previous seasons. However, I’m not sure how that’ll shake out in a close game against better competition. Like it’s been said, they have to control the clock with long sustained drives and finish those off with touchdowns. London’s defense looked pretty darn good overall. What worried me was their O-line. How will that rushing attack be without their bruiser and a worse line than previously.

Usually, @Gamma Gobbler has the prediction post up by now. Guess I will start that. Start of conference play, things are about to get interesting!

First and foremost, I hate when people have Friday night weddings in the fall. Stupid family, lol. I really wanted to catch the Bellefontaine/London game!

KT
London at Bellefontaine - 2 different attacks, London on the ground, Bellefontaine in the air. I have to go with Bellefontaine here. I love how London controls the game with their run game but St. Clair is always a threat.

Urbana at Jonathan Alder - Welcome to the Kenton Trail Urbana. 5-0 and rolling is a great way to go into conference play. But, as mentioned in previous posts, their opponents have been below average. JA is a one trick pony, again. If the Hillclimbers can stop Cam Jewell, they have a chance. But I think they come up short ... barely

Tecumseh at Kenton Ridge - Tecumseh is struggling with low numbers on the team. But they are still a better team than Kenton Ridge, in my opinion. Close, physical game and Tecumseh comes out victorious

MR
Shawnee at North Union - Welcome to the Mad River Shawnee. Different feeling than Urbana though. Shawnee has a really good chance of taking the MR by storm. Shawnee wins over a struggling, down year at North Union.

Indian Lake at Graham - Graham is very young and not very competitive, this year. Indian Lake should take this one fairly easily. Not going to be a lot of excitement during this game.

Ben Logan at Northwestern - Thankfully for Ben Logan, they are through the worst CBC crossovers of any team. Bellefontaine followed by JA is rough, only thing more difficult would have been a mix of Bellefontaine and London. Northwestern is better than Ben Logan, and that will show, Northwestern for the win.

Thanks @FballFan91 for the reminder, lol. I am running a bit behind schedule while squeezing in some good weather fishing and putting the computer aside. I think there is a decent balance to the league this year and a slim possibility to have a Co-Champ in the KT with the Raiders or Chefs tripping up on Alder. There is a grassy knoll shot the MR has a Co/Tri-Champ with North Union, Northwestern and/or Indian Lake being the shart in the Shawnee shorts while those teams battle it out to stay in the running...

KTD
London (5-0) at Bellefontaine (4-1): Last year Fogan was invisible in this game, injury??? I think most can agree with Fogan getting touches and yardage the Chefs are very dangerous. London is a next man up with Sollars being injured and last week, that looked like a freshman stepping into the roll but the Jones kid may be getting the lion's share of carriers tonight. This game may come down to special teams play. My math says London in a tight one but I'll have to go with my preseason pick, Chieftains, 31-27.

Urbana (5-0) at Alder (4-1): Not a good optic for the Climbers to give up 330 rushing yards to North Union last week at 230 to Graham the previous week, since Jewell can do that alone. Gritty win for the Climbers last week but they are now at the big boy table with some tough meat to chew on. Does not appear the Pioneers are going to offer anything other than their rushing game and probably wont need to tonight. Alder clocked NU a couple of weeks ago and I suspect that will happen tonight. The Pioneers take this one 48-14.

Tecumseh (2-3) at Kenton Ridge (3-2): Reality has set in for both teams and both need this game to maintain some hope for the playoffs. The Arrows are the only team in the KT to have an upside down point diff but KR isn't exactly a world beater in that category either. Honestly, I think this will be a good game and a struggle for both teams to establish a momentum but that will keep the fans in the stands until the end. I'm going with my stats and taking KR 28-21 in OT.

MRD
Indian Lake (3-2) at Graham (0-5): I think the Lakers have exceeded many expectations with their schedule. They aren't lighting up the stats sheet but they have a QB on track for a 1600 yard passing year and a RB with a 800 yard rushing year and when the rush/pass is a balanced split (yes, 2/1 is balanced in my mind's eye), there are good things happening. The only other team to have a tougher schedule than the Lakers are the Falcons and they have a couple of kids in the top three for tackles in the conference. They are totally upside down in the points diff but they did shown improvement against the U on offense, which could be relevant this week. This game may be closer than the stats indicate but ultimately the Lakers will take this one 35-18.

Shawnee (4-1) at North Union (1-4): The Braves are the clear favorite to take the MR and possibly a R16 finals team but they were shut down hard against London's power offense and stingy defense. They look to be a two headed snake in the rushing attack that can take over a game quickly; however, their passing game seems to be a question and they may need it tonight. The Wildcats are kind of a mystery to me, they had a showing against the U and put up good rushing numbers, yet their passing game is suspect as well. This can either be a blow out or a competitive game, duh. As far as I can tell, this is the first meeting between the two schools and I am going with a competitive inaugural game with the Braves winning 31-14.

Ben Logan (0-5) at Northwestern (2-3): I love the Warriors and their fighting nature, they had a big win last week over the Arrows, for the first time since...this century or EVER? (idk). They have three or four kids that could be McDonald's All Conference Players while Ben Logan has three or four kids that have eaten at McDonald's...who knows what the Raiders have, they are playing it close to the chest in their stat postings. NW, Smith, takes this game over rushing and passing and the Warriors celebrate a great Friday night with a 32-14 victory.

Stats may not all be completed (especially for defense) but based on what I see, here are my front runners for end of year awards.
KT OPOY: St. Clair (BHS), Jewell (JAHS), Donahoe (UHS)
KT DPOY: Boeckl (JAHS), Manns (BHS), Settle (UHS)
I'm thinking I need a London kid in here but not sure, Jones?

MR OPOY: Meeks (SHS), Smith (NWHS), Lillard (ILHS)
MR DPOY: Strader (GHS), Smith (NWHS)

Everyone is (0-0). Good luck to all tonight and enjoy the great football weather.

OH! BTW....Here come the Irish! Crack a Nut!!!. Notre Dame 31, OSU 27.

Last edited:
London up 14-0 in second quarter.
Shawnee not having any trouble so far. Lower score than expected though.

Alder 27, Urbana 14 late 2nd

Alder had failed to score from the 2 and the 10…Urbana had benefited from a few horrendous calls…this shouldn’t be this close

London all over Bellefontaine at the half 28-6 😳😳
Tough to have a good half when a team commits 3 unsportsmanlike/personal fouls in a half and get manhandled up front. Offensively the only productions is when the QB and WR make spectacular plays. That offense needs to turn ordinary plays into positive results. You just cannot wait foe the stars to make great plays.

London milks the clock that's for sure. If Bell cannot come up with some big play quick TDs this may not end well.
But we saw what they did vs the Cowpokes in week.2 in the second half so it is Def doable.

Till the Last Shots Fired.

Tough to have a good half when a team commits 3 unsportsmanlike/personal fouls in a half and get manhandled up front. Offensively the only productions is when the QB and WR make spectacular plays. That offense needs to turn ordinary plays into positive results. You just cannot wait foe the stars to make great plays.

London milks the clock that's for sure. If Bell cannot come up with some big play quick TDs this may not end well.
But we saw what they did vs the Cowpokes in week.2 in the second half so it is Def doable.

Till the Last Shots Fired.
London is the real deal and they don’t even have their big running back 😮

Shawnee’s offense struggles so much without Cordle at QB. They’re not playing all that great tonight.

Bellefontaine got throttled on offense and defense.
Bellefontaine isn’t a good as what people have them hyped up to be. I’m sure some will have excuses for them. But it was a flat out butt whippin that could have been worse.
Some teams/programs are happy to make the playoffs and some teams/programs expect to be in the playoffs and win. It was quite evident tonight who is who.

Bellefontaine got throttled on offense and defense.
Bellefontaine isn’t a good as what people have them hyped up to be. I’m sure some will have excuses for them. But it was a flat out butt whippin that could have been worse.
Some teams/programs are happy to make the playoffs and some teams/programs expect to be in the playoffs and win. It was quite evident tonight who is who.
Did the AA QB play for Bell.

London seems to have thrown the ball more than previous seasons. However, I’m not sure how that’ll shake out in a close game against better competition. Like it’s been said, they have to control the clock with long sustained drives and finish those off with touchdowns. London’s defense looked pretty darn good overall. What worried me was their O-line. How will that rushing attack be without their bruiser and a worse line than previously.
O-line looked dominant and they are deep at RB. Definitely hurts to lose Sollars but no lack of ball carriers in the London program.

O-line looked dominant and they are deep at RB. Definitely hurts to lose Sollars but no lack of ball carriers in the London program.
Glad the line dominated! They looked a little iffy against Shawnee, might’ve been the rain. Hopefully they can keep improving and go deeper in the playoffs this year!

Was disappointed in Shawnee tonight. Struggling against a 1-4 team doesn’t bode well for a playoff run. When they’re clicking they’re pretty good. Just can’t continue to play like that.

Eh, North Union's not bad. 4 of their 5 losses are by 6 points or less to teams that are 4-2 or 5-1.

I wouldn't be surprised if they win out. Their only remaining game that they might lose is to Indian Lake.

Go to sleep early and wake up early and seeing the scores kind of set me a back a little.

I figured Shawnee and NU would be a good game but I thought the Braves would pull away in the end and obviously that did not happen. Lucy has some splain'n to do. NU still has a shot at a Co-Champ year, win out and wait for the Braves to scalp themselves.

Congrats to Ben Logan with a good win while keeping their title hopes alive. I wish there was more published on their players and stats while I apologize for the bad things I have said. I promise to show more respect.

Indian Lake about what I expected and at 4-2 have exceeded my pre-season expectations (I think). But being head to head with Coldwater in R18 as it stands now, well....

Tecumseh looks to be a dumpster fire to get blown out. KR stepping up and taking care of business, good win for them and they needed this for those precious points.

Alder, what in the world happened? I have been high on the U but never expected them to keep it this close. Survive and advance.

London, what a machine, wow. Solidly #2 in R11 behind Watterson. I shall eat my roasted crow for doubting them. Chefs, well, they may not even be the third best team in the CBC. There may be some wheels on the side of the road that fell off the cart.

Next week we have:

Alder @ London for the KT title
Bellefontaine @ Tecumseh
KR @ Urbana

Indian Lake @ Ben Logan
North Union @ Northwestern
Graham @ Shawnee

Go to sleep early and wake up early and seeing the scores kind of set me a back a little.

I figured Shawnee and NU would be a good game but I thought the Braves would pull away in the end and obviously that did not happen. Lucy has some splain'n to do. NU still has a shot at a Co-Champ year, win out and wait for the Braves to scalp themselves.

Congrats to Ben Logan with a good win while keeping their title hopes alive. I wish there was more published on their players and stats while I apologize for the bad things I have said. I promise to show more respect.

Indian Lake about what I expected and at 4-2 have exceeded my pre-season expectations (I think). But being head to head with Coldwater in R18 as it stands now, well....

Tecumseh looks to be a dumpster fire to get blown out. KR stepping up and taking care of business, good win for them and they needed this for those precious points.

Alder, what in the world happened? I have been high on the U but never expected them to keep it this close. Survive and advance.

London, what a machine, wow. Solidly #2 in R11 behind Watterson. I shall eat my roasted crow for doubting them. Chefs, well, they may not even be the third best team in the CBC. There may be some wheels on the side of the road that fell off the cart.

Next week we have:

Bellefontaine @ Tecumseh
KR @ Urbana

Indian Lake @ Ben Logan
Graham @ Shawnee
Me too. I’m glad I have BBQ sauce handy to go with that crow. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣London showed us something last night.

Bellefontaine @ Tecumseh
KR @ Urbana

Indian Lake
@ Ben Logan
Graham @ Shawnee

I was really surprised last week.
London going to Bellefontaine and man handling the Chieftains.
The Hillclimbers going to JA and giving the Pioneers all they could handle.
The Cougars taking the visiting Arrows behind the woodshed.
The Wildcats giving the visiting Braves fits. The Wildcats are the best 1-5 team in Region 18 dag gum it!
The Raiders coming up with a big win over the Warriors. Que: (Beer bottles rattling against each other by the fingers tips) "Warriors, come out and play". I loved that movie. LOL!

I was really surprised last week.
London going to Bellefontaine and man handling the Chieftains.
The Hillclimbers going to JA and giving the Pioneers all they could handle.
The Cougars taking the visiting Arrows behind the woodshed.
The Wildcats giving the visiting Braves fits. The Wildcats are the best 1-5 team in Region 18 dag gum it!
The Raiders coming up with a big win over the Warriors. Que: (Beer bottles rattling against each other by the fingers tips) "Warriors, come out and play". I loved that movie. LOL!
Careful ;) . Lake is 1-5 in R18 and have lost to some very good teams and a tough row to hoe from here on out. They could beat up on the Wildcats. NU is a quality 1-5 in the CBC and may be the Co-Champs if the Braves fall asleep in week 8. NU could be 5-5 and split the division with an 8-2 Shawnee....wow.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Careful ;) . Lake is 1-5 in R18 and have lost to some very good teams and a tough row to hoe from here on out. They could beat up on the Wildcats. NU is a quality 1-5 in the CBC and may be the Co-Champs if the Braves fall asleep in week 8. NU could be 5-5 and split the division with an 8-2 Shawnee....wow.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
You're right about those Lake Flyers, but they've been blown out by a few times. Granted by 5-1 R8 teams. But we all know the Cavaliers are top dog in R18. LOL! Speaking of that, I think that head to head needs to somehow be in the Harbins. The Flyers smoke the Northwood Rangers, yet the Rangers are 19 and the Flyers are 21 in R18. Just doesn't seem right.

You're right about those Lake Flyers, but they've been blown out by a few times. Granted by 5-1 R8 teams. But we all know the Cavaliers are top dog in R18. LOL! Speaking of that, I think that head to head needs to somehow be in the Harbins. The Flyers smoke the Northwood Rangers, yet the Rangers are 19 and the Flyers are 21 in R18. Just doesn't seem right.
I did a really, really quick number crunch and I think if NU wins out, they sneak in at 16 in the region. I anticipate Delta, Ostego and Port Clinton to drop considering their remaining schedules while Lake could be the stinker in the region for them keeping them out. I love the Cavs but Liberty Center may be the cats meow in that region.