CBC 2019. Who you got?

Shawnee is very physical up front and doesn't do much to hurt their own cause. They might give some of the top KT teams a run for their money.

NW squandered 2-3 prime scoring opportunities by not finishing plays and with untimely penalties, and the Braves made them pay multiple times for not finishing. The 3rd string QB threw a pick-6 at the end for the exclamation point. This very well could have been a 1-2 score game, but it wasn't for good reason. The Warriors have potential to be pretty good, but they aren't there yet. Shawnee is good.

Next week against KR could be interesting depending on the QB situation. Within a handful of plays in the last few minutes Thomas got dinged up with what seemed to be a hand injury and did not return. A couple snaps later the backup had his helmet ripped off and took a shot for a targeting penalty and did not return.

The Thomas kid for NW has improved tremendously over the last few weeks. Assuming he's alright, he's going to give some teams headaches if he can continue to improve with decisiveness. When he's reactive and makes decisive throws or quickly plants to take off, he shows flashes of being pretty good.

It was 34-7 at halftime. London returned a pick and a punt for TDs in the 1st half.

North Union scored on a pick-6 late in the 1st half, and they scored on a long drive late in the game with a running clock. It sounds like they struggled offensively all night.

NU moved the ball on certain drives but had a couple turnovers and a bunch of penalties. I don’t expect it to be much better against JA next week so I’m just looking forward to MR Division play.

Bellefontaine got the win but it wasn’t pretty. Mark my words Bellefontaine plays like this against IL they will get beat.

Bellefontaine’s secondary is not good. Everything BL was able to do was big passing plays from either wide open WRs or Bellefontaine’s misjudgments on trying to get an int. 3/4 or more of BL passing yards came on 4th down and BL running for his life and throwing balls up. This has been a problem for Bellefontaine on defense all year so far.

Intentional or unintentional the offensive play calling was suspect for Bellefontaine. BL sold out to stop the run up the middle. Bellefontaine’s success was out in space on the edges.

Bellefontaine got the win but it wasn’t pretty. Mark my words Bellefontaine plays like this against IL they will get beat.

Bellefontaine’s secondary is not good. Everything BL was able to do was big passing plays from either wide open WRs or Bellefontaine’s misjudgments on trying to get an int. 3/4 or more of BL passing yards came on 4th down and BL running for his life and throwing balls up. This has been a problem for Bellefontaine on defense all year so far.

Intentional or unintentional the offensive play calling was suspect for Bellefontaine. BL sold out to stop the run up the middle. Bellefontaine’s success was out in space on the edges.
Bell will need to play better to beat IL. Lakers have a lot of confidence and a very, very good QB.

I wouldn’t say there not good. I mean you have to give credit to benlogan for making those plays but I agree they need to figure out a way to make a play on 4th down that’s honestly the chieftains only weakness on defense they get after the QB and he chucks it up for a score

The thing that blows my mind about the Bellefontaine/Ben Logan game is, how did Bellefontaine only score 28? I knew Ben Logan would score, as a matter of fact earlier in this thread I was ridiculed for saying that Ben Logan wasn’t that bad and had a lot of young talent.

But Ben Logan’s defense is not good. And their best defensive player is out. I think I’d be more concerned about the Chieftain offense at this point than I would about the secondary who gave up some plays to a pretty good offense.

The thing that blows my mind about the Bellefontaine/Ben Logan game is, how did Bellefontaine only score 28? I knew Ben Logan would score, as a matter of fact earlier in this thread I was ridiculed for saying that Ben Logan wasn’t that bad and had a lot of young talent.

But Ben Logan’s defense is not good. And their best defensive player is out. I think I’d be more concerned about the Chieftain offense at this point than I would about the secondary who gave up some plays to a pretty good offense.
boysel played and was a big factor kids a hell of a player. Chieftains has close to 400 yards of offense but they just couldn’t pass the ball and benlogan had 7-8 guys in the box and they were coming every play. Also doesn’t help gross went down.

boysel played and was a big factor kids a hell of a player. Chieftains has close to 400 yards of offense but they just couldn’t pass the ball and benlogan had 7-8 guys in the box and they were coming every play. Also doesn’t help gross went down.

Ok, I stand corrected - I was told he was done for the year. He is special for sure

Ok, I stand corrected - I was told he was done for the year. He is special for sure

If he is actually out for the season, Bellefontaine is going to have a rough finish. It’s also going to hurt Wapakoneta for points as they had a win over a potentially 9-1 football team, which will probably now fish 6-4/5-5 without Gross.

If he is actually out for the season, Bellefontaine is going to have a rough finish. It’s also going to hurt Wapakoneta for points as they had a win over a potentially 9-1 football team, which will probably now fish 6-4/5-5 without Gross.
Gross isn’t down for the year

What’s the story on this game? I expected London to win, but that’s a little more lopsided than I expected
Really?! NU’s offense was non-existent. Threw a pick six and gave up a safety. Their special teams was awful at best as they also gave up a punt return for a TD. They’ll lose next week as well. 7-3 at best.

Frankly, North Union did better on the scoreboard than what I expected. I imagine they will lose decisively to Alder this week, but after that I'm increasingly confident they'll sweep divisional play to finish 7-3.

Columbus Academy is a pretty solid D5 team, and just look at statistically how they fared against London compared to what North Union did. There is no comparison. North Union played much better, especially defensively against the run. The other Mad River teams are in trouble.

Bellefontaine’s QB isn’t very good. The bad part is he actually is a pretty decent linebacker but only plays a limited amount of snaps on defense.

Mark my words QB position will be the reason 2 years in a row if Bellefontaine doesn’t make the playoffs. It’s daddy ball players on the team will tell you that. If Bellefontaine doesn’t make the playoffs this year the chirping is going to start for Smiths job.

Bellefontaine’s QB isn’t very good. The bad part is he actually is a pretty decent linebacker but only plays a limited amount of snaps on defense.

Mark my words QB position will be the reason 2 years in a row if Bellefontaine doesn’t make the playoffs. It’s daddy ball players on the team will tell you that. If Bellefontaine doesn’t make the playoffs this year the chirping is going to start for Smiths job.
Think IL has a shot next week vs Bell? Their QB is very talented.

I’ve known coach smith for nearly 25 years (damn that makes me feel old), and I’m going to give my opinion on this situation with an emphasis on it being “my opinion.” I know with the Bellefontaine faithful it will not be popular.

I do not believe for one second that coach smith would purposely start a kid in a position as important as QB (let alone any position) because of preferential treatment - his own son or not. I do not believe he would put a win, or his team in jeopardy unless he believes he has the best players in the best position to win. He’s stubborn, he’s bullheaded - but he has also proven over 20 years of being a head coach that he knows what he’s doing.

Bellefontaine is 3-1, with their lone loss coming to a state contender in Wapak. Many have said in this thread alone that Bellefontaine is a contender for the CBC title. Wapak fans have come on here and complimented Bellefontaine. I don’t get why people are coming here to sling mud after 3 straight wins, even if the last one wasn’t pretty. Let the Chieftains play their games, have some faith in your head coach, staff and the system in general; and at the end of the year, then reflect (negatively or positively, whichever is earned).

wis_color-- Sounds like somebody has an ax to grind?

It’s a common topic of conversation around Bellefontaine. Frankly, I’m surprised it’s taken this long to be posted on Yappi. Tough day and age to be a public figure, even if it’s a high school football coach.

I think the results pretty much speak for themselves if you look at the seven years that Smith has been at Bellefontaine vs. the previous seven years before he arrived. Bellefontaine is clearly better for having him and his decision making at the helm.

I have no axe to grind. Just stating what is clearly holding Bellefontaine back on offense. Stats don’t lie and it no secret around town.

Have no sides on this but the perception of favoritism will hurt the program even if not true. Right or wrong parents will grumble and the kids will hear and other fans and it will hold back a program.

Played with sons (one a year ahead and one a year behind) of my head coach at a school similar size as North Union. They were athletes and probably the best in their positions but when he was fired after I graduated that was a driver.

What stats?
I guess I’m not following something here.

Smith wins 63-64% of the time. They compete at a high level when they make the playoffs.

They won about 45% of the time the 10 years prior to him, and the couple times that they had good teams they got embarrassed week 11.

Those are the stats that matter. Some will always find something to nitpick or complain about, especially if it involves a coach's kid.

I’ve known coach smith for nearly 25 years (damn that makes me feel old), and I’m going to give my opinion on this situation with an emphasis on it being “my opinion.” I know with the Bellefontaine faithful it will not be popular.

I do not believe for one second that coach smith would purposely start a kid in a position as important as QB (let alone any position) because of preferential treatment - his own son or not. I do not believe he would put a win, or his team in jeopardy unless he believes he has the best players in the best position to win. He’s stubborn, he’s bullheaded - but he has also proven over 20 years of being a head coach that he knows what he’s doing.

Bellefontaine is 3-1, with their lone loss coming to a state contender in Wapak. Many have said in this thread alone that Bellefontaine is a contender for the CBC title. Wapak fans have come on here and complimented Bellefontaine. I don’t get why people are coming here to sling mud after 3 straight wins, even if the last one wasn’t pretty. Let the Chieftains play their games, have some faith in your head coach, staff and the system in general; and at the end of the year, then reflect (negatively or positively, whichever is earned).
Bellefontaine is not winning the CBC.

I think Smith is doing a good job here. I think he got the raw end of the deal on his suspension.
I think the qb is the weak spot in the offense.Hence me stating the stats don’t lie.
But I don’t personally think he is playing daddy ball. But a bunch of people including players think he is and the voices get louder each week.
I do think that if Bellefontaine as an entire team plays like they did against BL they will struggle even worse against IL.