Block buster Transfers to Canton McKinley

Nothing personal against coach Filtz, but he just seemed overwhelmed while at Canton McK. He wasn't going up against DIII and DIV teams, as the Big Red typically plays, and the Maple Heights football schedule is not exactly filled with solid DI and DII programs, back then and now. If Dan Reardon had stuck it out in Canton, the McK football program might be further along. Actually, the Bulldogs haven't had solid coaching staffs since the 1990s. In recent years it consistently shows up in "big games" where they get out-coached and out-schemed. With all of these alleged "star transfers" coming in it will be interesting to see how they develop and contribute to advancing the program. Twenty years ago, and prior, any coach who had three consecutive losses to Massillon, including an embarrassing shut-out, along with an unacceptable loss to GlenOak, would be fired. But everyone knows that A. Hall isn't going anywhere, so it is what it is. :unsure:
He took D2 Maple Heights to 2 state title games winning one of them. They were miserable before his arrival. Using your reasoning, only a guy who has coached a D1 program should get D1 jobs. There’s a heck of a lot more winning going on down in Steubenville than there is in Canton

He took D2 Maple Heights to 2 state title games winning one of them. They were miserable before his arrival. Using your reasoning, only a guy who has coached a D1 program should get D1 jobs. There’s a heck of a lot more winning going on down in Steubenville than there is in Canton
And there was a heck of a lot of winning still going on when Filtz wasn't around Steubenville. If he leaves does the program fall apart? Seems like a fella who wins a state championship, gets a high profile job and then just goes home to be an assistant for the bulk of his remianing career lacks ambition.

There seemed to be a higher rate of off the field issues under Filtz. That seemed to be the reason why they parted ways.
There were a whole lot of issues he had to correct and he wanted no part of it and he showed his colors...BAM!

McKinley 2024 Football season

It is conceivable with the 18+ transfers from around the country and the county.

In light of this it is very possible that the entire starting lineup could be all new players that played for other schools last fall.

They picked up 4 kids from Houston Texas and further west in Phoenix Arizona 6 kids.

From Stark County they picked up 3 from Canton South and 3 from Lake.

2 are confirmed that are coming from Akron Hoban with a potential of 2 more.

There are 9 others considering from across the country including 2 brothers from Valdosta Georgia.

according to several media outlets this is legitimate
Are there no rules regarding creative player acquisitions in Ohio? Asking for a friend!

As an aside, I do believe that J.T. Daniels still has one year of high school eligibility left. Leave NO stone unturned.

Are there no rules regarding creative player acquisitions in Ohio? Asking for a friend!

As an aside, I do believe that J.T. Daniels still has one year of high school eligibility left. Leave NO stone unturned.
OHSAA Bylaw 4-9 Recruiting. Not sure how this situation will escape scrutiny, seems pretty blatant. The new OC comes here from Houston and the next season there are four transfers from Houston on the roster?

Last edited:
Maybe a situation like 1962 on this one.
lq5DlW0OUGjJkEXQht.gif

Last edited:
What smell test? Why do you (or anyone for that matter) have a smell test for kids that aren’t yours? I’ll never understand this.
I get the “smell test” analogy. BUT, the caveat to me is, nobody knows what’s best for their children other than the parents. And evidently those kids parents think that moving to canton and enrolling their kids at McKinley is best for THEIR family. NOBODY is a better position to say so than them. And the “recruiting” word doesn’t hold up here. If they simply wanted their kids out of a particular school district whether it is for football, academics or both, there are a million other schools in Texas that have powerful football programs and solid academics they could send their kids to. There is something else to this story and simply recruiting them to play football in Canton Ohio is not part of the story

I get the “smell test” analogy. BUT, the caveat to me is, nobody knows what’s best for their children other than the parents. And evidently those kids parents think that moving to canton and enrolling their kids at McKinley is best for THEIR family. NOBODY is a better position to say so than them. And the “recruiting” word doesn’t hold up here. If they simply wanted their kids out of a particular school district whether it is for football, academics or both, there are a million other schools in Texas that have powerful football programs and solid academics they could send their kids to. There is something else to this story and simply recruiting them to play football in Canton Ohio is not part of the story
I see parents make the wrong move for their kid and their family all the time. But I get your point and agree with your premise.

Seriously, his was a family decision based on safety, education and quality of life. Oh, and not losing to canton since he was in 3rd grade.

I see parents make the wrong move for their kid and their family all the time. But I get your point and agree with your premise.
I hear ya, there are bad parents out there. But would you agree that 4 kids from Houston Texas moving to Canton Ohio means the story is bigger than football? It could be completely unrelated. As an example Maybe a big business closed down and gave affected employees an option to transfer to a facility in or near canton. Just an example but bottom line is no one on here knows why. IF ITS EVEN TRUE

I'm not sure if the fact that McKinley threads are 10% McKinley fans defending McKinley, 90% Massillon fans flaming McKinley, and 10% 3rd party people who are interested reflects more poorly on the lack of McKinley fans, or the lack of lives of Massillon fans. I'm gonna say both can be true

Hey, it's the off-season, what do you want! Massillon fans love canton as much as they love us. It's mutual assured dislike.

I'm not sure if the fact that McKinley threads are 10% McKinley fans defending McKinley, 90% Massillon fans flaming McKinley, and 10% 3rd party people who are interested reflects more poorly on the lack of McKinley fans, or the lack of lives of Massillon fans. I'm gonna say both can be true
LMAOOOOOO this is true AF.

What I’ve found rather interesting is the lack of outrage from the Fed fans. They freak out every year when Massillon gets a transfer but not a peep when the biggest school in their own league, who already generally dominates them in football is loading up on transfers….very odd lol