2024 Cincinnati Bengals

It would be a good free agency if the Bengals could pick up a serviceable RT and DT yet. I assume they will pick up a mid-tier one after the first wave is over.

Sheldon Rankins expected to sign with the bengals. A good get. Now Double dip and re-sign Reader. Rankins is a pass rushing DT but can’t stop the run to save his life.

Appears the Bengals will be drafting a RT in the 1st rd. Glad Burrow will finally have an NFL TE to throw to in Gesicki.

Gesicki is an athletic TE and will definitely help in the passing game, especially in the red zone. As for blocking, not so much.

Looking like the Bengals will go with a rookie at RT and hope he can block Garrett, Watt, Highsmith and whoever the Ravens go with at Edge rusher…..a very, very risky move to say the least.

Gesicki is an athletic TE and will definitely help in the passing game, especially in the red zone. As for blocking, not so much.

Looking like the Bengals will go with a rookie at RT and hope he can block Garrett, Watt, Highsmith and whoever the Ravens go with at Edge rusher…..a very, very risky move to say the least.
Gesicki is much like another Penn St TE playing for the Steelers.

Gesicki is much like another Penn St TE playing for the Steelers.
Gesicki is a better athlete but Friermuth has been a more productive pro despite missing 5 games last year.

* Gesicki: 6 years, 260 rec, 2861 rec yards, 20 tds
* Friermuth: 3 years, 155 rec, 1537 rec yards, 11 tds

Gesicki now has a great qb in Burrow. If Gesicki does not have a good year this season he could have one foot out of the NFL. I think the Steelers would be willing to extend Friermuth despite coming off an injury ridden & disappointing season last year due in large part to poor QB play.

Gesicki was franchised in 2022 by the Dolphins (just 32 receptions in 22), last year signed a 1-year deal with NE for 9 mill and only had 29 receptions but NE had bad QB play. Hopefully playing with Burrow he will return back to 2021 form.

Bengals signing OT Trent Brown to a 1 year deal.
From NFL.com:

Brown is spending Tuesday visiting Cincinnati, where he will step in as Joe Burrow's new right tackle following Jonah Williams' departure.
Brown brings with him nine years of playing experience in a career that began as a seventh-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers, included a trade to New England, a handsome four-year deal with the Raiders and a return to the Patriots. He's filled a number of roles with the Patriots, but has struggled to remain available for most of the last half-decade, falling short of 600 snaps in four of his last five seasons.

Fingers crossed he can stay healthy.

If he can at least play most of the first half, you would hope the rookies may be ready to step up by then. Sign a run stopping DT and the Bengals will be ready for the draft

9 months ago! It’s not like this was signed 3 years ago.

Hendrickson simply over performed his contract with the 2nd best in the league 17.5 sacks in 2023. If Hendrickson had a poor 2023 season (say 3.5 sacks), would the Bengals have gone to him with a pay cut? They did with Joe Mixon last year.

I agree with a contract signed just 9 months ago, it’s a tough pill to swallow to see the guy wanting a new deal. Outside of the guaranteed $$$, NFL contracts are worth about as much as the paper they are written on.

9 months ago! It’s not like this was signed 3 years ago.
he should have asked for more $$$ then? his agent said its about an extension not the money? looked at a few mocks today and they already have the bengals taking another edge guy, so hopefully tonight is interesting.

jtk
()

Hendrickson simply over performed his contract with the 2nd best in the league 17.5 sacks in 2023. If Hendrickson had a poor 2023 season (say 3.5 sacks), would the Bengals have gone to him with a pay cut? They did with Joe Mixon last year.

I agree with a contract signed just 9 months ago, it’s a tough pill to swallow to see the guy wanting a new deal. Outside of the guaranteed $$$, NFL contracts are worth about as much as the paper they are written on.
I thought this was a good signing when they picked him up last year. I feel like its par for the course that he wants to get more money. A lot of people are giving the player grief in this circumstance, but if he would have came out and sucked, the would have gotten released, traded, or asked to take a pay cut. If players are expected to stick to their contracts, so should the organizations who make money off of them. Plus, if I were Hendrickson and I signed with the Bengals to play with a contender and then they laid an egg last season, I would be upset too.

Bengals once again swing and miss on getting an impact Day 1 starter in the first round.

The defense appears likely to be a disaster again next year, thanks in large part to whiffing on Dax Hill and Myles Murphy in recent years, unnecessarily extending Sam Hubbard and Germaine Pratt, and whiffing on past first and second rounders like John Ross and Billy Price and Drew Sample when those could have been impact picks elsewhere.

Bengals once again swing and miss on getting an impact Day 1 starter in the first round.

The defense appears likely to be a disaster again next year, thanks in large part to whiffing on Dax Hill and Myles Murphy in recent years, unnecessarily extending Sam Hubbard and Germaine Pratt, and whiffing on past first and second rounders like John Ross and Billy Price and Drew Sample when those could have been impact picks elsewhere.
The defense was a disaster because the safety play was terrible. That was corrected in free agency. If they can get a DT in the 2nd or 3rd, the defense will at least be ranked somewhere in the middle at worst.

Mims is inexperienced, but he can and will start this year. Time will tell whether it works out.

The defense was a disaster because the safety play was terrible. That was corrected in free agency. If they can get a DT in the 2nd or 3rd, the defense will at least be ranked somewhere in the middle at worst.

Mims is inexperienced, but he can and will start this year. Time will tell whether it works out.
The Bengals have only one player who can consistently get to the QB — and he just requested a trade! — and the entire run defense was an embarrassment all year long, even when Reader was healthy. Also, do you really feel confident in DJ Turner as starting CB #2? This defense has A LOT of work needed.

Think I would have rather had Mitchell, Arnold or Newton there. Really really wish Murphy had fallen 1 more spot or the Bengals had moved up a couple of picks.

Starting to talk myself into it though. NEED him to stay healthy though, he less than 700 total snaps in 2022 and 2023 - CB4 has averaged 858 snaps a year in the Zac Taylor era. But man he is technically sound and has the measurables to be elite.

Bengals are lousy at thinking out of the box. Should have traded Higgins, for draft picks than need be could have moved up to get Murphy. Have no problem drafting a lineman to protect burrow but Mims is injury prone can't stay healthy in college expect him to be healthy in NFL? Maybe. Now you have a player in Hendrickson who wants traded - not a fan of keeping players that don't want to be part of the team. Could havetraded Hendrickson for draft collateral.