2024 Cincinnati Bengals

Drafting for need has proven time and time again led to teams picking the wrong player because they are shoehorned into taking only players in positions of need. Use FA to fill the holes, draft best available

Yep, signing Brown allowed them to take Mims and not have to trade up.

Biggest holes coming into the draft were:

OL depth
DT depth
CB depth

You can argue they should have taken one of the corners over Mims, but it’s tough to pass on a top 5-10 physical talent sitting there at 18 just because he’s inexperienced.

Drafting for need has proven time and time again led to teams picking the wrong player because they are shoehorned into taking only players in positions of need. Use FA to fill the holes, draft best available
That’s why smart teams to trade out of their spots in the draft. JTK made a good point about not moving up to get Murphy. Plus, you can find quality RTs in R2. Round 1, you need a plug & play guy.

Bengals last 6 first rounders (not counting Burrow) have been younger than 22.

They very much like young players who haven’t peaked yet.
And how many have proven to be productive players? One, Jamar Chase. Hell, if they’re last 10 1st round picks, only Burrow & Chase hit. Now, those two hit big and that shouldn’t be ignored but then you look at the rest:

Darquez Dennard
Cedric Obeghui
William Jackson
John Ross
Billy Price
Jonah Williams
Dax Hill
Myles Murphy

Yep, signing Brown allowed them to take Mims and not have to trade up.

Biggest holes coming into the draft were:

OL depth
DT depth
CB depth

You can argue they should have taken one of the corners over Mims, but it’s tough to pass on a top 5-10 physical talent sitting there at 18 just because he’s inexperienced.
So you signed an injury prone vet and spent your first round pick on his back up? In what world does that make sense? And they need an Edge rusher with Hendrickson wanting out.

When has a 1st round pick that wasn’t a QB, sitting on the bench his 1st yr, panned out? This reminds me of Obeghui all over.

That’s the last 1st Round OL drafted without expecting him to start.

That may be the only similarity.

Mims is a far superior athletic and physical specimen, with far better film. Ogbuehi was also considered a massive reach unlike Mims.

Mims is also well ahead in his technique.

Mims was a potential top 5 pick next year if he stayed in school. He has all of the physical traits NFL coaches drool over.

Also, while I don’t expect it, I won’t be shocked if Mims is starting sooner rather than later. Many think he’s already Pro ready in pass pro. It’s run blocking that he needs to refine the most.

Being able to keep Joe Burrow upright is the single biggest factor in the Bengals trajectory over the next several years.

This is always priority number 1.

Even with Mims, the Bengals oline depth and future is not great.

I don’t expect it, but I’d be in favor of another OL in round two if JPJ or Frazier are there. Beebe as well.

They have other needs for sure, but the Bengals adding top tier OL talent will never be a bad choice.

This whole argument honestly baffles me. The Bengals haven’t had a good oline in almost a decade (2015).

Just took the best Oline prospect they’ve taken in at least 15 years (Andre Smith, tho IMO Mims is a better prospect than Smith,But we’ll stop here for arguments sake. the true answer is probably Whit in 2006).

And people are complaining.

You wanted to draft another OL that won’t start next yr?

You don’t seem to understand how football works. You fill immediate needs in free agency and you build your team long term in the draft. No team ever wants to or should ever want to have to pick for need in the draft. You fill your needs in free agency so that in the draft you can take the best players available and build long-term depth for your team.

There is no more important long term goal than to protect Joe Burrow.

Ted Karras, as much as I love him is on the wrong side of 30 and in a contract year.

The Bengals also have crap for interior OL depth as well and have been supremely lucky Karras has stayed healthy.

Gridiron Grading

Kris Jenkins had the #1 run production score out of the 59 iDL we graded in this class.

He was the #43 prospect on this years board with a high 2nd round grade.

22 years old and a 90th percentile athlete.

This is another good pick. Love this start to the draft for the Bengals.

You don’t seem to understand how football works. You fill immediate needs in free agency and you build your team long term in the draft. No team ever wants to or should ever want to have to pick for need in the draft. You fill your needs in free agency so that in the draft you can take the best players available and build long-term depth for your team.

There is no more important long term goal than to protect Joe Burrow.

Ted Karras, as much as I love him is on the wrong side of 30 and in a contract year.

The Bengals also have crap for interior OL depth as well and have been supremely lucky Karras has stayed healthy.
You don’t seem to understand how football works. High round draft picks are supposed to contribute immediately. Spending your first 2 picks on players that would sit on the bench, is beyond regarded.

You don’t seem to understand how football works. High round draft picks are supposed to contribute immediately. Spending your first 2 picks on players that would sit on the bench, is beyond regarded.

Go look at the top drafting teams. Your perennial playoff teams. They stay on top because they draft BPA and don’t reach for needs. They also put themselves in position to not have to start rookies because they build their roster well.

Outside of maybe corner, there was no player at 18 starting for the Bengals opening day.

Torn on the Jermaine Burton pick.

First round talent that fell due to maturity concerns.

If he grows up, he’s the steal of the draft.

Wish they took him at 97 instead of 80.

Go look at the top drafting teams. Your perennial playoff teams. They stay on top because they draft BPA and don’t reach for needs. They also put themselves in position to not have to start rookies because they build their roster well.

Outside of maybe corner, there was no player at 18 starting for the Bengals opening day.
Where are these teams sitting their first 2 draft picks?

PFF's Steve Palozzolo: I think Jermaine Burton is the 4th best WR in the draft class. He fell for off-field reasons, but he's an awesome football player. He's fast, can track the ball, catches everything, and came up big in big games.

Steve LOVES Burton, but mentions a lot of teams had him off their board.

Dane Brugler on Jermaine Burton: They're taking a chance. If everything else was clean, we're talking about a first round pick.

Nate Tice: Maybe best hands

Brugler: It's funny how many texts I got asking "how bad is it" (about Burton) because the tape is off the charts.

Gridiron Grading

Holy cow. Welcome to Bengals new WR Jermaine Burton.

He scored #1 in our explosiveness ranking that we added to our board this year that has been predictive of tons of future NFL WR1s.

An absolutely phenomenal deep threat.

Man, they are having a hell of a draft.
This rocks.