2023 Southwestern Buckeye League

You're right. Carlisle can't compete with the big boys. They don't have the numbers for that. Carlisle has won playoff games fyi. Not many, but they have won. Until we start seeing these numbers climb, it will be a tough road for Carlisle for a long time. Can you honestly say that kids want to play on a team where the sole objective is to just run the ball 99% of the time. These kids nowadays want high flying action and big plays. Obviously that's not what it's all about but something has to give here. These kids have to buy in what you're selling at all times and it starts in pee wee. Look at VV....Niswonger built a legacy there. It has to start somewhere. That somewhere has yet to be found.
Which of these past coaches won the playoff games they have won? Was it under the Jewell regime? I have no clue. Numbers do not mean wins. Numbers do help but it is not as important as some think IMO.

Which of these past coaches won the playoff games they have won? Was it under the Jewell regime? I have no clue. Numbers do not mean wins. Numbers do help but it is not as important as some think IMO.
Like someone said earlier, most of the teams in the SWBL run old school offenses. It comes down to winning. If you win you can do what you want. If not, people say the offense is outdated. No win situation.

Don’t hold me to all of this but off the top of my head as memory serves. Jewell won in 09 him and Brown both was a top 4 seed in region getting a home playoff game. 2010 when a couple posters eluded to all the transfers and they did take a pretty sound thrashing by kenton then in 2016 lost on an extra point for the win score 20-21 but they played without like 5 starters and Geeneview lost to the 4 time defending state champ Coldwater the next week by a fg. You hear a lot about the 2010 team but 2016 to me was the most talented but they played 9 players both ways and they was beat up and hurt every week. They lost 3 games by a combined 7 points. 3 points game 1 against one of Franklin historically best if not best teams. Carlisle 2016 i think all their seniors went on to play college ball had 5 All State players. I also enjoyed Coach Cox 84 team tough kids lost a good game to Mcnick. 1980 also tough team. Roberts took a good one before argood. One team people forget about 89 was 9-1 lost last game to Brookville for the playoff spot powers was the coach. Now these teams was all under the old format coach clod wouldn’t have qualified for the playoff then with the teams he’s went with. But he did come into a cupboard is bare situation but that was also Browns last season freshman on the field out of necessity but clod benefited because his best season was their senior year. I don’t know what the answer is but I’ve seen a lot of talented football players play for the Indians in 5 decades I’ve been watching. I think they have been good at football and can be again.

Last edited:
Madison vs National Trail-Mohawks improve to 4-0 with another easy one
Brookville vs Waynesville-Brookville by a couple of scores but Waynesville could keep it close in the first half
Valley View @ Carlisle-VV by a bunch
Franklin vs CJ-CJ by a couple of scores
Hughes @ Monroe-Hughes has some athletes, but I think the Hornets win this one pretty easily
Eaton @ Oakwood-I'll take the Jacks in a close, not sure Eaton is as good as their 3-0 record, but I could be wrong
Bellbrook @ Ponitz Tech-This will be a massacre
Ross vs Wilmington-Rams by a couple of scores
Edgewood @ Talawanda-Talawanda shows up on the Edgewood schedule right on time. Cougars win big.

Brookville vs Waynesville-Brookville by a couple of scores but Waynesville could keep it close in the first half
Hughes @ Monroe-Hughes has some athletes, but I think the Hornets win this one pretty easily
Eaton @ Oakwood-I'll take the Jacks in a close, not sure Eaton is as good as their 3-0 record, but I could be wrong
Edgewood @ Talawanda-Talawanda shows up on the Edgewood schedule right on time. Cougars win big.
The only pick I would flip is Eaton/Oakwood. I think Eaton wins but it should be a close game.

Agree with these although I still expect Eaton to beat Oakwood. It should be a more competitive game though. Madison and National Trail should be competitive for a while, but I do see Madison winning. I'm also interested in Brookville/Waynesville as it's a R20 playoff potential preview.

Agree with these although I still expect Eaton to beat Oakwood. It should be a more competitive game though. Madison and National Trail should be competitive for a while, but I do see Madison winning. I'm also interested in Brookville/Waynesville as it's a R20 playoff potential preview.
I wonder if Waynesville will be able to handle Brookville's physicality.

Jewell - Beat North College Hill 21-13 but lost to state champ Alter
2021 - Beat Reading 34-23 - Reading 4 seed vs Carlisle 13 seed.

They have made the playoffs quite a bit over the years but just can't get over the hump.

The 10-0 year we got Kenton with Maty Mauk - One of the best HS teams i have ever watched from the sidelines. I'm 6 feet tall and those corners they had out there were huge.

They have made the playoffs quite a bit over the years but just can't get over the hump.

The 10-0 year we got Kenton with Maty Mauk - One of the best HS teams i have ever watched from the sidelines. I'm 6 feet tall and those corners they had out there were huge.
Reading was 8 top 4 seeds didn’t play round 1 that was 1st year Covid format or maybe the year everybody got in.

Don’t hold me to all of this but off the top of my head as memory serves. Jewell won in 09 him and Brown both was a top 4 seed in region getting a home playoff game. 2010 when a couple posters eluded to all the transfers and they did take a pretty sound thrashing by kenton then in 2016 lost on an extra point for the win 20-21 but they played without like 5 starters and Geeneview lost to the 4 time defending state champ the next week by a fg. You hear a lot about the 2010 team but 2016 to me was the most talented but they played 9 players both ways and the was beat up and hurt every week. They lost 3 games by a combined 7 points. 3 points game 1 against one of Franklin historically best if not best teams. I think all their seniors went on to play college ball 5 All State players. I also enjoyed Coach Cox 84 team tough kids lost a good game to Mcnick. 80 also tough team. Roberts took a good one before argood. One team people forget about 89 was 9-1 lost last game to Brookville for the playoff spot. Now these teams was all under the old format coach clod wouldn’t have qualified for the playoff then with the teams he’s went with. But he did come into a cupboard is bare situation but that was also Browns last season freshman on the field out of necessity but clod benefited because his best season was their senior year. I don’t know what the answer is but I’ve seen a lot of talented football players play for the Indians in 5 decades I’ve been watching. I think they have been good at football and can be again.
I agree they can be good again. I do think the new conference alignment really really hurts them though. Being the smallest school is not great for winning or confidence. Sounds like you know your history.

Reading was 8 top 4 seeds didn’t play round 1 that was 1st year Covid format or maybe the year everybody got in.

Reading was the 4 seed and Carlisle 13 in 2021. The covid year was 2020 where everyone got in.

Attachments

• Joe Eitel.JPG
    Joe Eitel.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 30
Was the Covid year when the top 4 seeds didn’t play?
Not quite sure. 2020 Carlisle won a playoff game against Summit Country Day as well. We lost to Roger Bacon that year but that was the year teams could play on. Some teams decided not to.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 31
Not quite sure. 2020 Carlisle won a playoff game against Summit Country Day as well. We lost to Roger Bacon that year but that was the year teams could play on. Some teams decided not to.
Yes that had to have been it I think Carlisle and Summit was both 4-4

I agree they can be good again. I do think the new conference alignment really really hurts them though. Being the smallest school is not great for winning or confidence. Sounds like you know your history.
Believe it or not, Franklin had about 70 more total yards last week against Big Walnut and lost 41-14. The Cats had about 380 yards. Time after time they would have False start or off-sides. Very frustrating. They will win 2 or 3 games if they fix this.

Believe it or not, Franklin had about 70 more total yards last week against Big Walnut and lost 41-14. The Cats had about 380 yards. Time after time they would have False start or off-sides. Very frustrating. They will win 2 or 3 games if they fix this.
Talking with some of those Franklin guys there are some really good players that are injured and some good younger guys who are ready to step in , but the head coach and coaching staff seems to be set in his ways. QB play as well as line play seem to be the issues they complain about most

Talking with some of those Franklin guys there are some really good players that are injured and some good younger guys who are ready to step in , but the head coach and coaching staff seems to be set in his ways. QB play as well as line play seem to be the issues they complain about most
I know the injury bug has hurt them but we will be getting a couple of them back this week.

Where did you find those stats? I’ve been waiting all week for them to post on the SWBL site and still haven’t posted their rushing yards.

I think that Carlisle team from 2010 is the most overhyped team to come through the SWBL aside from all the transfers and all league players that transferred in that year the league was in a very down year. They beat us by 3 on a last second hail Mary and we was a 6-4 team that year and a 2-8 the next Franklin was 3 win team. The best team they beat was waynesville which could have went either way then got smoked by kenton 42 points could have been 80 if they wanted that should have been enough to show who they was. I came through in the 80s and I doubt they would have got past those teams and my youngest boys played against the 2016 and 2017 teams growing up those kids was legit and talented. Without the transfers 2009-2010 team is 6-4 or 5-5 they wouldn’t have beat us also. But they dodged a scheduling bullet by not seeing eaton they was the best team in the league they beat us by 4 scores.

Last edited:
I think people need to be careful what they read into Franklin the schedule is brutal I don’t think they are a threat to the top teams in the SWBL by any means but will beat down a couple of the lower teams once they get a few things ironed out. But also Franklin always talking about someone injured when they lose welcome to our world only difference is on a smaller school you usually lose a 2 way starter.

I think that Carlisle team from 2010 is the most overhyped team to come through the SWBL aside from all the transfers and all league players that transferred in that year the league was in a very down year. They beat us by 3 on a last second hail Mary and we was a 6-4 team that year and a 2-8 the next Franklin was 3 win team. The best team they beat was waynesville which could have went either way then got smoked by kenton 42 points could have been 80 if they wanted that should have been enough to show who they was. I came through in the 80s and I doubt they would have got past those teams and my youngest boys played against the 2016 and 2017 teams growing up those kids was legit and talented. Without the transfers 2009-2010 team is 6-4 or 5-5 they wouldn’t have beat us also. But they dodged a scheduling bullet by not seeing eaton they was the best team in the league they beat us by 4 scores.
Carlisle had to get the monkey off their backs somehow. VV ran all over Carlisle for years and it was an exciting time to see them get one on VV. I remember the Jarbo kid coming over to VV and made a huge difference for them. For us to battle back from 17 points down was huge for us. Take it for what it's worth and say what you will but to go 10-0 is tough no matter how you see it. Kenton on the other hand was impressive. It was very fun but frustrating to watch at the same time.

Carlisle had to get the monkey off their backs somehow. VV ran all over Carlisle for years and it was an exciting time to see them get one on VV. I remember the Jarbo kid coming over to VV and made a huge difference for them. For us to battle back from 17 points down was huge for us. Take it for what it's worth and say what you will but to go 10-0 is tough no matter how you see it. Kenton on the other hand was impressive. It was very fun but frustrating to watch at the same time.
That’s fair enough and true. We have had our share of move ins also just not that ridiculous amount at once. Think Brock originally was a Carlisle kid before springboro and then fenwick. Speaking of jarbos I believe it was wrong to take his brother I think austin was his name Qb senior year. That was wrong by Ohsaa in my opinion. You guys would have been a force with him jarbos could play!

Madison
Brookville
CJ
Carlisle 😂 just kidding 5 scores VV
Monroe big
Idk toss up eaton or oakwood I’ll go eaton close one
Bellbrook
Ross
Edgewood last 3 easily

I too believe Franklin will win some games this year. The schedule is insane. They will beat up on Carlisle and couple other teams as well and probably have a shot of winning a playoff game.

I am going to miss VV and Franklin playing each other the next few years. Our current 9/10th grade classes were really good and got beat by Franklins teams the past couple years. I was looking for that match up over the next few seasons as those kids got olderbit looks like it will have to wait

I am going to miss VV and Franklin playing each other the next few years. Our current 9/10th grade classes were really good and got beat by Franklins teams the past couple years. I was looking for that match up over the next few seasons as those kids got olderbit looks like it will have to wait
I believe they play week 2 starting next year.