2020 MVL Football

Vandalia just plum stinks at football these days. I don't think it's coaching that is bringing them down. The numbers are a big part of that. 40 kids isn't good, especially going against teams like Troy and Xenia who dress close to 100. Numbers win. Engagement is probably an even bigger piece of the equation. That's what is happening at Tipp. They are small but mighty when it comes to engagement and work ethic. It just means more to those kids, and to that community and it shows. I think Vandalia has great coaching and the addition of OC Tyler Wright should he HUGE for a Vandalia offense that has really struggled. But the community is BLAH and doesn't create the atmosphere that they did 20 years ago. The place was always packed and we as parents made sure the boys were ready to go. I remember when Larry Taylor donated shoes to our kids for the playoff games on what was known as "astro-turf" back then. (My youngest still has them) It's just not the same and hasn't been since Pel.
That team last year could have easily been .500 or better. They could have beat Greenville Piqua Stebbins. All were losses by less than a touchdown.

That team last year could have easily been .500 or better. They could have beat Greenville Piqua Stebbins. All were losses by less than a touchdown.
The game at Stebbins was wild!! SHS scored late in the first quarter to go up 7-0. then there was nothing until the last 5 mins of the crazy 4th quarter. The long Butler TD pass that should have tied the game at 14, but then the XP was wide. Then of course the run by SHS QB Keller (who will likely get his third year as QB1 as a Junior this season) to ice the game (21-13).
Almost as fun a game as the heartbreaking 2016 game in Vandalia. Though I imagine that comeback was much more enjoyable for the Butler fans.

Well definitely sad that nobody but family will be able to watch games this year. I’m sure Vandalia won’t have any live stream. It stinks that they are limiting capacity to 600 because the only sport that suffers is football. Soccer and volleyball couldn’t draw 600 fans combined if they wanted to in any circumstance so it’s business as usual for that fan base.

Stebbins got it stuck to them. Butler got a good draw but I was hoping to get another shot at Stebbins this year.

Actually, I believe Butler got one of the tougher crossover draws with Fairborn & WC. Fairborn is returning nearly all of their starters & a defense that finished 2nd in the MVL only to Xenia, led by an All State LB that was named SW Ohio DPOY. If it is true that West Carrollton picked up a half dozen or more Trotwood players then the Pirates may have the most talented team in the MVL this year. They were already returning two studs on college recruiting boards. Their dual threat QB who led the MVL last year in passing & averaged 6.7 yds per rush who has an offer from Toledo, and their Sophomore RB who Iowa is looking at. If true about the Trotwood players, I think WC, Troy, Xenia, Piqua, & Fairborn are probably your top 5 teams to beat this year, but that doesn't mean they will have the 5 best final records. That will depend a lot upon schedules & possible team quarantines. Fairborn opens with Xenia & WC which are both going to be hard to beat. Xenia has some real studs returning even though they lost a bunch. As long as Smitherman is there running that offense Xenia will be a league contender. Troy returns some studs & both Xenia & Troy always have the numbers & size. That makes a difference in preparation, especially this year with teams only allowed to scrimmage against themselves before opening game.

Last edited:
They had two players and one was a kicker. tell me about the talent at Stebbins and Fairborn you skipped those two.

Fairborn only lost 3 starters to graduation & they told the coach they did not want to attempt college ball. Only the 2nd year in the last two decades or more that Fairborn has not sent multiple players on to play college ball at some level of play.

Last edited:
Fairborn only lost 3 starters to graduation & they told the coach they did not want to attempt college ball. Only the 2nd year in the last two decades or more that Fairborn has not sent multiple players on to play college ball at some level of play.
That is one thing some of the smaller school fans dont realize when you get into DI or even DII, every body has college players. Even teams wtih sub 500 records have guys go one to play in college. If you dont have a couple of legit college players , does not matter who the coach is, you will struggle.

I took a look through the new schedule and this is what I've got: Troy goes 6-0 and the winner of the Fairborn-West Carrollton game is also 6-0 (with the other 5-1). That should help get all three seeded well in the wacky 2020 playoff format.
Troy 6-0
WC 6-0
Fairborn 5-1
Piqua 3-3
Greenville 3-3
Xenia 3-3
Tipp 2-4
Sidney 1-5
Butler 1-5
Stebbins 0-6

Here is how I see each team with a "best case/worse case" scenario based on schedules & WC adding any Trotwood players if rumor is true. Of course this would be dependent upon no games being canceled due to quarantines.

Troy 6-0/5-1
WC 6-0/4-2
Piqua 5-1/4-2
Fairborn 5-1/3-3
Xenia 5-1/3-3
Tipp 4-2/2-4
Greenville 2-4/1-5
Sidney 2-4/1-5
Butler 1-5/0-6
Stebbins 1-5/0-6

Last edited:
Actually, I believe Butler got one of the tougher crossover draws with Fairborn & WC.
I think you are correct. Based on my quick power ranking and looking at who plays each I get the following from toughest to easiest (best team in my power rank counts as 1 point, second as 2 points, and so on. Lower number means stronger schedule). For reference, if you played the 6 toughest teams you'd have 21 points. if you played the 6 weakest teams you'd have 45 points.
t1 Stebbins (23pts)
t1 Butler (23pts)
3 Tipp (28pts)
4 Sidney (30pts)
t5 Greenville (31pts)
t5 Xenia (31pts)
t7 Piqua (41pts)
t7 Troy (41pts)
t7 Fairborn (41pts)
t7 W Carrollton (41pts)

Last edited:
I think you are correct. Based on my quick power ranking and looking at who plays each I get the following from toughest to easiest (best team in my power rank counts as 1 point, second as 2 points, and so on. Lower number means stronger schedule). For reference, if you played the 6 toughest teams you'd have 21 points. if you played the 6 weakest teams you'd have 45 points.
t1 Stebbins (23pts)
t1 Butler (23pts)
3 Tipp (28pts)
4 Sidney (30pts)
t5 Greenville (31pts)
t5 Xenia (31pts)
t7 Piqua (41pts)
t7 Troy (41pts)
t7 Fairborn (41pts)
t7 Xenia (41pts)
You have Xenia in your schedule power rankings twice. One of those has to be West Carrollton.

That is one thing some of the smaller school fans dont realize when you get into DI or even DII, every body has college players. Even teams wtih sub 500 records have guys go one to play in college. If you dont have a couple of legit college players , does not matter who the coach is, you will struggle.

Yep. Fairborn has 5 on college rosters right now and several that just finished their college careers. Have had several also over the last few years that had offers but chose not to play at the college level.

Last edited:
Here is how I see each team with a "best case/worse case" scenario based on schedules & WC adding any Trotwood players if rumor is true. Of course this would be dependent upon no games being canceled due to quarantines.

Troy 6-0/5-1
WC 6-0/4-2
Piqua 5-1/4-2
Fairborn 5-1/3-3
Xenia 5-1/3-3
Tipp 4-2/2-4
Greenville 2-4/1-5
Sidney 2-4/1-5
Butler 1-5/0-6
Stebbins 1-5/0-6

Predictions for Week 1:

Sidney over Greenville

Troy over Piqua

Butler over Tipp

WC over Stebbins

Fairborn over Xenia

Feel free to disagree, interested to see what everyone else thinks

Predictions for Week 1:

Sidney over Greenville

Troy over Piqua

Butler over Tipp

WC over Stebbins

Fairborn over Xenia

Feel free to disagree, interested to see what everyone else thinks
My picks are similar to yours, just two differences. I think there will be strong consensus on Troy and WC, but the other three games, I could be convinced either way.
Greenville over Sidney
Tipp over Butler
Troy over Piqua
W Carrollton over Stebbins
Fairborn over Xenia

My picks are similar to yours, just two differences. I think there will be strong consensus on Troy and WC, but the other three games, I could be convinced either way.
Greenville over Sidney
Tipp
over Butler (Ugh, shut it TIG)
Troy over Piqua (UPSET!@)
W Carrollton
over Stebbins (League champion??)
Fairborn over Xenia

One might say that Sidney is socially distancing themselves in the contest.

(Come on, somebody had to make the joke at some point. Might as well get it out of the way.)

It’s definitely not cause Sidney is that good, Greenville is very bad sorry. And to make matters worse Sidney comes 2nd half with the starters and throwing the ball wtf is doenges trying to prove