2012 Water Polo

The officiating in the Sycamore/St. Francis semi-final was awful. It was very one-sided. The same two officials officaited the 3rd/4th place game, and it was much more evenly officiated. Afterward, we our finding out that one of the officials is a Sycamore graduate and plays in a polo league with the Sycamore coach. The fact that he did not remove himself from officiating the Syc/SFS game is just plain wrong.

Because SFS being down 8-1 at half is the ref's fault, right? Blame reffing all you want, but sounds to me like the better team won.

The officiating in the syc/stf game went both ways but either way syc was playing inspired on the 20th birthday of their fallen teammate Jose cerda and they were not going to lose and honestly there should have been more kick outs on stf as syc players could not reach for the ball inside without getting chopped at and held onto

I never blamed the officials for the reason that St. Francis lost to Sycamore. People were discussing the need to improve the officiating in water polo and I was commenting on the fact that the two officials who officiated both St. Francis games were the same, and both games were officiated very differently. Then, to find out that one of the officials has personal ties to Sycamore and the coaches is just wrong that he officiated the Sycamore game, or any Sycamore game.

The officiating in Ohio is not horrible but is not consistent so I agree with you there but the officials have the professionalism to not take feeling into the games and you can see that in just how other games they officiate go for those same schools

Had a few major changes made over the weekend.

1. States will now feature 6 teams. 3 north / 3 south.
2. Regionals is now set up that you don't have the 2&3 place game. Championship game participants auto make states. Then the game to make the 2nd/3rd place game is now an elimination game / qualifier game.

There was more - but those are the major changes. Thoughts?

Had a few major changes made over the weekend.

1. States will now feature 6 teams. 3 north / 3 south.
2. Regionals is now set up that you don't have the 2&3 place game. Championship game participants auto make states. Then the game to make the 2nd/3rd place game is now an elimination game / qualifier game.

There was more - but those are the major changes. Thoughts?

So does that mean the champs from the North & South get a bye? Not sure the logic of this from a competitive point of view. I suppose adding teams will increase the number of spectators paying to get in. I realize that we have added teams in recent years, but it hasn't seemed that sending the top two has resulted in a deserving team being left out. What was the argument for expansion?

in my mind adding teams to states is completely ridiculous and a result of a cincinnati block of voting, to help them get more teams there, because the rest of the state has had much more representation, ridiculous that almost half the teams in the state will make the tournament, coaches can't get there the old way so they change the rules to get in the back door!

So does that mean the champs from the North & South get a bye? Not sure the logic of this from a competitive point of view. I suppose adding teams will increase the number of spectators paying to get in. I realize that we have added teams in recent years, but it hasn't seemed that sending the top two has resulted in a deserving team being left out. What was the argument for expansion?

The regional champion will get a bye.

The North 2 plays the South 3 / South 2 vs. North 3

Winner of N2S3 vs South 1 / Winner of S2N3 vs. North 1

Winners to title game
losers to 3rd/4th
1st round losers to the 5th/6th

There are a few reasons for expansion and keeping status-quo. The expansion might be a little premature with the numbers we are seeing, but we are growing as a state and adding a team from the north and south is something that would be done in the future at some point. It will help with preventing a deserving team (in either a north or south talent heavy year) from missing states.

If you compare the number of teams in Michigan to how we do it in Ohio - 50% of each round of playoffs qualify for the next round. Taking 3 of 8 is under that mark (south), and 3 of 7 (north) is under that mark. They have 3 rounds of playoffs, we only have 2, but with the growth we're seeing, its not a bad thing. Just might be a little early.

All that said - If you're going to win a state title - it changes nothing. You still have to win to win. A 1 seed at regionals still has a minimum of 4 wins to get to a title. A 2 seed has minimum of 5 wins (same as it was).

in my mind adding teams to states is completely ridiculous and a result of a cincinnati block of voting, to help them get more teams there, because the rest of the state has had much more representation, ridiculous that almost half the teams in the state will make the tournament, coaches can't get there the old way so they change the rules to get in the back door!

After a conversation herd over the weekend on a pool deck between two coaches at a swim meet by swimmers / water polo players I understand that now "Glen Oak" is moving to "North" regional and no team is moving to the "South". That means that half the teams in the "South" (boy's) will now advance to the "States", that seems a bit fishy to me. I also understand that the girl's side is complaining that AMDG is ngetting to good and beating some teams so they want them to split up. Sound familiar (Worthington)?????? Also hear that the Worthington girl's teams are looking for a new coach, has anyone else picked up on that one and know anything?

After a conversation herd over the weekend on a pool deck between two coaches at a swim meet by swimmers / water polo players I understand that now "Glen Oak" is moving to "North" regional and no team is moving to the "South". That means that half the teams in the "South" (boy's) will now advance to the "States", that seems a bit fishy to me. I also understand that the girl's side is complaining that AMDG is ngetting to good and beating some teams so they want them to split up. Sound familiar (Worthington)?????? Also hear that the Worthington girl's teams are looking for a new coach, has anyone else picked up on that one and know anything?

Moose is intending on adding a team to the south this year. Hopefully both boys and girls.

Oak wood will be in regionals this year too - or at least that was the plan.

No rumblings on AMDG splitting. But rather the idea is that once you get enough kids from 1 school to make a team - they become their own team. It's about growing the sport.

Nothing fishy about adding a team for states. As posted earlier its a change that a majority of the coaches wanted. We will expect on having 8 boys teams in the south next year. Mason, Milford, Moose, Oakwood, Princeton, St X, Sycamore, and UA. That's 3 new teams in 3 years. There is growth occurring here, and it's pretty exciting to be on the forefront of it.

Worthington girls, at last I knew, was looking for a girls coach. OhioWP tweeted about it, as have other programs with people putting the word out in the polo circles.