Search results

1. Z

DIII Toledo Central Catholic vs Bishop Watterson Updates (12/01/23)

Nope his dad played at Centerville
  2. Z

Blowout games

It started with more passing, bad teams stop the clock more and thus drives are short giving the better team the ball back more. It snowballs and thus you then have a blow out on your hands. Many teams should not be passing as much as they do. Many do not do it well but think they have to a...
  3. Z

8 Texas high school football players hospitalized

We had some crazy ones, 400 push-ups in a hour doesn't seem to bad, unless there were some crazy rules like: all perfect or starting over if someone screws up. We had to start over if not everyone finish conditioning in certain times for certain position groups. As in that rep did not count and...
  4. Z

Too Many Teams in the Playoffs?

Do you guys say this about every other sport that to many teams make it?
  5. Z

Why a 10 game season?

I want as much football as possible, never hear anyone moan about the other sports and all of the teams making it. I would rather basketball have 16 teams per region make it and go from there, basketball season is all ready to long, the season should be from 12/1 to 2/28 and be over.
  6. Z

First two weeks of football playoffs to be played on Friday nights this season

Ok as a player hated playing Saturday, why because that is college football day and I wanted to watch it. Now as an official I block all Saturdays before the season and open any up if the OSU game is 330 or later. Come post week 10, I block all Saturdays, if that means I don't get a playoff...
  7. Z

Obscure Free Catch, Free Kick Rule

Not sure why the officials were confused and had to meet for a few minutes. It is a basic rule they all should know. The first I ever saw this was in like 2000 or so, when St. X played UA at Welcome Stadium in the playoffs and St. X did this at the end of the 1st half.
  8. Z

Best and worst offenses in HS football (scheme not team)

My take from officiating games is that 90% of teams that run the spread should not be running it.
  9. Z

Ohio Referee Shortage - could force games...

Like I pointed out before, I will do JV games as I need to be on the field 20 minutes before game time. If I also added a varsity game on those two days I am adding close to 2 hours per day for the game as I have to be there so early. Then if you observed it can anywhere from 15 to an hour after...
  10. Z

Guys on my crew are friends with a guy that used be to an Ohio official but is now in Florida. Down there they do not have set crews and positions for varsity games. So, he does more varsity games a week and they make more a game (I think over 100). Ohio is crew based for varsity which adds...
  11. Z

I hate to say it, but I won't do Saturday games as an official. That day is for me to watch College football, maybe if the game started at 9 am I would. I will do JV games in the morning but not Saturday afternoon or night. Thursday night would be hard for me to do Varsity as well, the reason...
  12. Z

Ask The Ref?

Yes, the punting is a mess and hope no one wants to do the new rule till inside the 40 to 50 is clarified.
  13. Z

Ask The Ref?

OHSAA, I umpire on Friday nights. Last week neither coach asked about the rule and we only had one sack, and no plays that came close to make a call. I am sure this week we might be asked before the game, but have not had a spread team yet and won't this week. So from everything I have read and...
  14. Z

Ask The Ref?

Hit in the act of throwing is different from being hit then throwing it away. The first should use but the second fundamentally changes the game to give the offense a clear advantage.
  15. Z

Ask The Ref?

So there will never be a sacks again as all you have to do after being hit is just throw it? I am fine with contact while throwing but if a defender gets you to in the FBZ and you have not started to throw the ball and he goes to tackle the passer, the passer should not get a free pass to just...
  16. Z

Ask The Ref?

If he was being grabbed before the act of trying to throw it, it is grounding in that situation. The contact must be when he is in the act like it always has been. Trying to throw after the hit or grab or pull down and not outside the free blocking zone is still grounding. Now if still in the...
  17. Z

80s-90s Fostoria Redmen

Sounds like the ones I knew from Otterbein that played football.
  18. Z

Springfield vs marysville division 1 region 2 regional final

Yes Centerville had some down years then after Ryan Hawk left, but the program over all was a lot better then than it is now. Yes they lost to good teams in the playoffs but now they get rolled by a Witmer team that looked out classed by an average Jerome team and a good slow Marysville team, I...
  19. Z

In the 2000-2010 time period Centerville was blowing teams out in league, yes not Wayne, Northmont, or Springfield. There were seldom close games against Fairmont, Beavercreek, Miamisburg, but in the last 10 years a lot more close games versus those teams. Yes Springfield has gotten a lot better...
  20. Z

Your not going to change my mind on Centerville, they are nowhere close to their teams of 10 years ago. Who cares if they have a good QB they are not tough and can't run when they need to any more. I have said my thoughts years ago on Centerville and it will not get better or change in the long...