Blowout games

Myron

I was golfing with a friend—retired coach—this past week, discussing HS football. He made a comment to me that “it just seems every game is a massacre; there are no good games any more.“ While I’m sure he’d Confess that his statement was a broad stroke generalized stereotype, especially about the ‘No good games,’ I did have a slow morning to run through last evening’s games.

1) 171/333 games (51.3%) were decided by 27+ points (four TDS and three successful kicks).
1*) I have no life early on Saturday mornings 😂
2) I eyeballed several other games between 24-26 points, but left the ‘blowout’ at the approximate four TDs Threshold
3) Look through the scores and there were some pretty big name teams losing by 27+
4) That all said, some real competitive, certainly enthralling games played in Ohio—many seem focused on Columbus and Cincinnati big school game—-but close to 60% are essentially foregone conclusions.

Last edited:

It started with more passing, bad teams stop the clock more and thus drives are short giving the better team the ball back more. It snowballs and thus you then have a blow out on your hands. Many teams should not be passing as much as they do. Many do not do it well but think they have to a spread or throwing team. I have been an official in many games and most teams are not good at throwing but try to throw all game.