First two weeks of football playoffs to be played on Friday nights this season

I get that everyone has issues with Saturday from a team perspective.... but we're playing state finals at 10am on a Friday morning.

It's done because it's the championships and they're all at one place and you don't want overlap. A very minor issue is during the rest of the playoffs trying to keep games opposed from eachother and get more tickets sold.

Let's say, even 5% of tickets sold are to fans that are going just to go to a game, regardless of rooting interesting. Why wouldn't you want that 5% to buy two tickets a weekend instead of one? And I know it's a lot more than 5% at most playoff games.
Having played all my HS home games on Saturday nights (shared field), as a player I much preferred playing on Friday nights.
There were a few perks to playing on Saturday (interest from other league opponents), but for the most part the adverse affects of playing Saturday night games outweighed the perks.

Weeks with a Saturday game meant one more additional day of full practice (yes, Friday was a walk-through, but Thursday was a walk-through in weeks with a Friday game). Saturday was pretty much consumed with staying rested and getting ready for the game; it prevented attending an OSU game, or picking up a basketball for that next season, and it ruled out a date/movie for the weekend (team rules for night before a game). Saturday night games left only Sunday to rest/recover with a run/lifting session. Even the NFL gets a day off; HS players are in class all day Monday-Friday, even if a coach were to consider giving a day off from practice during the week. I always felt better physically and mentally the week following a Friday game in comparison to a Saturday game. It was infinitely easier to play Friday, get in a run and lift session Saturday morning, have fun with a girlfriend Saturday evening and get rest on Sunday. When we played Saturday night games, that run/lift session on Sunday morning was sometimes cancelled because A. rest was more important certain weeks, and/or B. some pastors (and parents) were not happy about Sunday morning run/lift sessions (given that we were a Catholic HS).

From a fan's perspective, I understand the desire for Friday/Saturday split of games - more football to watch and possibly more gate revenue for HS football. At this point in my life, I like watching as many games as I can. However, that ignores the point made by one of the coaches in a prior post - Saturday games result in a greater number of hours spent on the job and not with family for the entire weekend. Same goes for players. HS football is a large part of our fabric, but it is not the only thing in our lives. Making the week harder for players so that adults have 2 games to watch on the weekend gives our teenagers one more reason to not play football. The "normal" HS schedule is Friday night, so asking the same Division each year to play Saturday games is unfair (and you can see the assignment of divisions to Friday/Saturday was in part based on increased attendance. For a State Final, no big deal, I'd play Tuesday at 6:30 am (though no one would watch). Once a season, no big deal, including from the coach's perspective. But half of the games during the regular season and/or all the games in a 6-game playoff run being on Saturday night is not the best thing for the PLAYERS. It's not the best thing for coaches. And other than the big OCC, GCCL and St Eds of the world, those coaches get paid $10,000 or less to coach our crazy game. Asking them to give ANOTHER night to accommodate HS fans getting to watch 2 games in a weekend or for a slight bump in gate revenue seems over the top. This is not the NFL or NCAA football. And as a sidenote, D-3 College has it figured right. D-3 games are consistently on Saturday afternoons (with an occasional night game) - mostly in accord with the home team's traditions and with respect for the travel needs of the visiting team. Those D-3 players get Saturday night off, they have Sundays to themselves and have light/short practices at least one day each week to allow for classwork, etc... Attendance and fan enjoyment may be on the list of their considerations, but far down the priority list. Player considerations come first, second and third. As it should be.

Last edited:
Although Ohio buckeyes and horse chestnuts are closely related, they are not the same thing. . Both are types of Aesculus trees: Ohio buckeye (Aesculus glabra) and common horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum).

Trust me, I was being extremely nice putting it the way I did. But nice was not good enough for you. Lol! I really wanted to write the F***eyes.

I am sure everyone does it differently, but we alter the schedule so our walkthrough is Friday, it’s short but still a couple of hours after school, we then have the kids come in Saturday am for a stretch (mostly to get them out of bed) then back at early evening for game prep.
Its a good problem to have, but I find it personally annoying that D5 keep getting out in saturday.
It sounds like you simply value your time on Saturday more than you value your time on Friday.

A second on Friday is the same as a second on Saturday. A minute on Friday is the same as a minute on Saturday. An hour on Friday is the same as an hour on Saturday.

It sounds like you simply value your time on Saturday more than you value your time on Friday.

A second on Friday is the same as a second on Saturday. A minute on Friday is the same as a minute on Saturday. An hour on Friday is the same as an hour on Saturday.
Mathematically if it’s a Saturday game, I have more time invested then if it’s a Friday game. 90 minute walkthrough on Friday, 60 minutes Saturday morning and then 4-10 that night. Again playoffs are a good problem to have, I would just prefer to have all of Saturday off. I can attend a college game or go out of town with my family. I like to coach, I just enjoy my family more.

i’ll throw in my two sense, for what it’s worth.

why not play saturday games at 1pm? why does everything need to be at 7pm? i understand playing under the lights is cool and all, but if you ask the kids and the coaches, i bet 80% of them would rather play it a little earlier and get it done with, that way they can have the rest of the evening with family.

Would you rather work 7 hours a day for five days a week or 5 hours a day for seven days a week?

i’ll throw in my two sense, for what it’s worth.

why not play saturday games at 1pm? why does everything need to be at 7pm? i understand playing under the lights is cool and all, but if you ask the kids and the coaches, i bet 80% of them would rather play it a little earlier and get it done with, that way they can have the rest of the evening with family.
This is where I love how Texas does it. The two schools paired against each other decide on a venue together. They pay the rental from the gate receipts and they cover their own transportation costs. The UIL gets $1/ticket for their purposes. The two teams also pay the officials from gate receipts or their own finances.

If the two can't decide, the teams flip for the choice. Which can also mean flipping for home field. And if the two teams go home and home in the playoffs, the next time they face each other they automatically switch venues, no flip.

This also all includes the date and time. Entirely up to the two schools for anywhere from Thursday to Saturday. No mandate but the state association.

"the State means The State of Ohio, the State in which we live. the OHSAA is not "the state" it may be "the state high school athletic association" but is not "the state" even saying "the state athetic association" implies it to be an organ of the State, because people don't actually what an athletic association is, but it is a business. supposedly a "not for profit" business.

i know high school football announcers who pronounce the name OHSAA as OSHA. "state tournament" is a tournament held state wide. "state champions" is the winner of the state wide tournament. people get easily confused when you use the term "the state" to mean anything but the State of Ohio. the OHSAA is not "the state" and when you refer to it as "the state" many many people confuse it with something it is not. It is not even The State of Ohio Education Dept" which is closer to being "the state" than the OHSAA. so I believe in and try to practice accuracy in language use.
Doesn’t Ohio High School Athletic Association imply “the state”. Or is their some other language interpretation for the word Ohio by most people that I am not aware of? Since you want to be so technical!

This is where I love how Texas does it. The two schools paired against each other decide on a venue together. They pay the rental from the gate receipts and they cover their own transportation costs. The UIL gets $1/ticket for their purposes. The two teams also pay the officials from gate receipts or their own finances.

If the two can't decide, the teams flip for the choice. Which can also mean flipping for home field. And if the two teams go home and home in the playoffs, the next time they face each other they automatically switch venues, no flip.

This also all includes the date and time. Entirely up to the two schools for anywhere from Thursday to Saturday. No mandate but the state association.

It sounds like a good system. Of course, Texas has had a football playoff since 1920.

West Virginia lets the higher seed pick the site, while the lower seed picks the time and date.

It's hard to tell why OHSAA feels the need to micromanage the playoffs.

Ok as a player hated playing Saturday, why because that is college football day and I wanted to watch it. Now as an official I block all Saturdays before the season and open any up if the OSU game is 330 or later. Come post week 10, I block all Saturdays, if that means I don't get a playoff game, well so be it. High school football is a Friday night game and should be on Friday night. BY week 8 my wife wants me done anyways and hopes I don't get playoff games. I would do a playoff game on Thursday night, but too much in my life happens on Saturdays that I cannot commit to a whole day if I would have a game at night, maybe 10 am kicks on Saturday for playoffs would work.

I
Doesn’t Ohio High School Athletic Association imply “the state”. Or is their some other language interpretation for the word Ohio by most people that I am not aware of? Since you want to be so technical!
It is kind of hard to tell what bluedevil is trying to say.

For me "the state" refers to a geographic place, Ohio, or Texas. I live in one and have visited the other.

But "the State' can also correctly mean the government of one of those places.

The OHSAA is not part of the government of Ohio. Public schools are, the OHSAA is not.

These aren't part of the state government either.

Last edited:
Maybe the best way we should all look at this is that we are all fortunate to be able to see great Ohio HS football and many great upcoming playoff games. Think back to the covid year and how most of us missed out on all of this. I personally am just grateful for the opportunity to get to see many great games. 🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the best way we should all look at this is that we are all fortunate to be able to see great Ohio HS football and many great upcoming playoff games. Think back to the covid year and how most of us missed out on all of this. I personally am just grateful for the opportunity to get to see many great games. 🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but those great high school games are played by some great players that go on to play at The Ohio State university. That must kill you. :D

• Haha
Reactions: y2h

sounds like a great system, if it were 1952.

but those great high school games are played by some great players that go on to play at The Ohio State university. That must kill you. :D
Actually it doesn't. Here's why. When I see an Ohio kid choose Michigan over OSU (Charles Woodson - just to name 1), and then come back and hand it to them, that is pretty awesome. Plus I am very much able to separate my love for Ohio HIGH SCHOOL football from my hatred for "the" OSU Pukeyes. Actually the worst part is that almost every game I go to in Ohio I have to listen to the bands play the fight song from that University in Columbus. And honestly anymore, most of the big dogs in college football are recruiting more from the southern states than their own. It's not like the old days. I love that Joe Burrow wasn't good enough to start for OSU. Then goes on to break passing records left and right at LSU as well as go to a Super Bowl. Nice job OSU. ( I know- he didn't fit THEIR system). MISTAKE!

Last edited:
sounds like a great system, if it were 1952.
How is that a bad thing? You want the state controlling every aspect of the playoff game? Instead, the schools arrange it and can only be upset with themselves if they can't agree and flip for the choice and lose out. They also agree on the officiating crew.

No bi-ching about it.

I

For me "the state" refers to a geographic place, Ohio, or Texas. I live in one and have visited the other.

The OHSAA is not part of the government of Ohio. Public schools are, the OHSAA is not.

But, 'the state' wasn't always just a second order governmental system designation. A state was a territory larger than a city, hence the term 'city-state' in historical accounts, where the prosperous city then claims the rural areas around it as part of its kingdom/ward/territory, etc.

Today, 'the state' is used short hand for any form of governance outside of federalism. OHSAA governs high school athletics inside the state. The NFHS governs it nationally but leaves the power with the state associations to administer and enforce rules within each state, with quite a bit of latitude in their decision making and outcomes.

So when people say 'the state', they're talking of the governance of HS sports in the state of Ohio. They just shorthand it because just like when people talk about "Ohio" they don't need to preface it "State of Ohio" as if someone might think they were talking about the River instead.

How is that a bad thing? You want the state controlling every aspect of the playoff game? Instead, the schools arrange it and can only be upset with themselves if they can't agree and flip for the choice and lose out. They also agree on the officiating crew.

No bi-ching about it.
I like the idea. The 2 schools can decide what works best for them. And you're right, every week many complain about the sites OHSAA picks. Now if you're going to complain, it will be to/about your own school that you follow and SUPPORT!

Last edited:

No bi-ching about it.
Ehh, I’m all for local control and this would work well if both schools are fair-minded. But what if one school is unreasonable and wants to play super close to them or in a facility that doesn’t make sense? If the other school loses the coin flip they just have to deal with it?

Ehh, I’m all for local control and this would work well if both schools are fair-minded. But what if one school is unreasonable and wants to play super close to them or in a facility that doesn’t make sense? If the other school loses the coin flip they just have to deal with it?
Yep. Because then both schools would just choose their home field and they'd flip for the right to host. If the two ever play in the playoffs again, the other team gets to host automatically. Just the risk of being unreasonable.

Sometimes the flip is just because neither can agree on specifics. For instance, in 2010, Denton ISD had two flips because they wanted both Denton Ryan and Denton Guyer to play at SMU, while Longview and Wylie both wanted stadiums closer to them (Tyler and Abilene, I believe). DISD won both flips, so put both at SMU as a doubleheader.

Also, in Texas the 'coin flip' isn't actually a coin flip. Regardless what movies might indicate. The UIL has a directory of every school in the state with their phone number and address for schools to contact each other. On a phone call, one school would randomly say another another school (in the entire state)'s name and the other school would call even or odd for the last digit of their zip code. No looking it up. Call has to be instant.

But, 'the state' wasn't always just a second order governmental system designation. A state was a territory larger than a city, hence the term 'city-state' in historical accounts, where the prosperous city then claims the rural areas around it as part of its kingdom/ward/territory, etc.
No. Columbus can annex all the rural area around it it wants to, that does not make it a city-state.

Today, 'the state' is used short hand for any form of governance outside of federalism.
No it's not.
So when people say 'the state', they're talking of the governance of HS sports in the state of Ohio. They just shorthand it because just like when people talk about "Ohio" they don't need to preface it "State of Ohio" as if someone might think they were talking about the River instead.
No they're not. When most people talk about the state of Ohio they are definitely not talking about the OHSAA.

But clearly if Yappi posters are talking about hs sports and they mention 'the state" they likely mean the OHSAA.

No. Columbus can annex all the rural area around it it wants to, that does not make it a city-state.
Sparta. Not Columbus. Historical. There's more than just the US.
No it's not.
Look up 'govern' and get back to me.

No they're not. When most people talk about the state of Ohio they are definitely not talking about the OHSAA.

But clearly if Yappi posters are talking about hs sports and they mention 'the state" they likely mean the OHSAA.
When we're talking about HS sports, yes. When we're talking about tax rates, we're not.

I

I fully agree the OHSAA is not a government entity however, his rant was off the hook. His condescending explanation into the usage of “the state” in language in all honesty was incorrect. The state is cold in the winter. The state has multpli professional sports teams. The state has all playoff games on Fridays. None of this is any different and all of it is in reference to geography not the government.

No bi-ching about it.

It sounds like a good system.

It also avoids ridiculous situations like having a Dayton team and a Cincinnati play a game in Zanesville. That's an exaggeration, but OHSAA has done stuff like this in the past. It sounds like the staff at OHSAA just wants something to do.

It sounds like a good system.

It also avoids ridiculous situations like having a Dayton team and a Cincinnati play a game in Zanesville. That's an exaggeration, but OHSAA has done stuff like this in the past. It sounds like the staff at OHSAA just wants something to do.
That whole "equal travel" thing that OHSAA claims isn't real, but they'd have two teams 40 miles apart play a 80 miles away just because then both teams have to travel roughly the same distance.

Why? Why? Why? Now I only can spend half the money I have saved all year for parking, admissions, possibly 50/50 and concessions. Is there anyway to get Uber Eats from one game to another game site? Will I have to pay their parking and admission charge at both places? Would this be frowned upon by the OHSAA Parliament that didn't think far enough in advance to impose a surcharge? I'm also concerned about 50/50. Do I have to be present or can I have someone do this by proxy?

So many games, so many questions and I will never have an answer on how to ride two horses with one a##...ugh

"the State means The State of Ohio, the State in which we live. the OHSAA is not "the state" it may be "the state high school athletic association" but is not "the state" even saying "the state athetic association" implies it to be an organ of the State, because people don't actually what an athletic association is, but it is a business. supposedly a "not for profit" business.

i know high school football announcers who pronounce the name OHSAA as OSHA. "state tournament" is a tournament held state wide. "state champions" is the winner of the state wide tournament. people get easily confused when you use the term "the state" to mean anything but the State of Ohio. the OHSAA is not "the state" and when you refer to it as "the state" many many people confuse it with something it is not. It is not even The State of Ohio Education Dept" which is closer to being "the state" than the OHSAA. so I believe in and try to practice accuracy in language use.
We have a semantics nerd on our hands boys.