Mississinawa Valley/Ansonia

Cory Rawson/ Bluffton, Arlington, and Liberty Benton

Ottoville/Ft Jennings/Kalida

Continental/Miller City

Lincolnview/ Van Wert

Ridgemont/ Kenton and Ben Logan

Bridgeport/ Martin's Ferry

I can go on and on

Bucyrus and Wynford high schools are 2 miles (3 mins) apart. Come on, people.
2 miles might be generous.?

Bucyrus's problem is that it is incredibly landlocked. Parts of both the Colonel Crawford and Wynford district boundaries extend into the Bucyrus city limits.

2 miles might be generous.?

Bucyrus's problem is that it is incredibly landlocked. Parts of both the Colonel Crawford and Wynford district boundaries extend into the Bucyrus city limits.
That is true. My point is, those schools are so close together, a merger would seem to make sense. Wynford already has a pretty good thing going. Add Bucyrus' best athletes, could be juggernaut.

I would not suggest high school's should be Mason sized, but I think schools can offer better options when a school is large enough to have the varied staff and teachers that allows.

A 1,000 seat high school would be better than 100, but 2,000 may be too much.
Southern school districts are designed this way for the most part, kids get lost academically and athletically. Bigger is not always better

Southern school districts are designed this way for the most part, kids get lost academically and athletically. Bigger is not always better
I get that. But a 200 person (total) high school really will have a hard time affording the varied educational opportunities. I proposed 1000, and I see a feel think that is too high.

Geography has to play a role too. Bucyrus and Wynford are great examples. Literally like 4 houses and acres of corn is all that is between them

Alot of my ideas have already been said but here's a few:

Vanlue/Arcadia --> Hancock East or Vancadia

Jefferson/ Trotwood, Valley View, and maybe West Carrolton

Antwerp, Wayne Trace, and Paulding --> Paulding County

Bradford/Covington

Continental/Miller City

Lincolnview/ Van Wert

I can go on and on
I was with you until you threw out VV consolidating with any of those schools. That one is unnecessary for VV. Jefferson Township could use a place to join, that I'll give you. Trotwood would be very logical.

Beat me to it........
That or Jefferson dissolves into multiple surrounding ones. Draw up some lines and if you live in X location you to VV, Y you go to Trotwood, etc. That is usually how they do dissolution.

West Carrollton is a tough one. They'd have to do the same thing with Burg, Centerville, etc. It has a way higher enrollment than Jefferson.

When the DeRolph decisions came down, one of the popular fixes was to go to County schools and use county-wide taxes of some sort to fix funding whether that was less reliance on property taxes or county-wide taxes decided by voters. Heck, even sin taxes were proposed.

That was popular from a funding angle but HUGELY unpopular because of the obvious other reasons and fears it would lead to consolidation of other services, which to be honest needs to happen in certain counties in Ohio anyway....

I was with you until you threw out VV consolidating with any of those schools. That one is unnecessary for VV. Jefferson Township could use a place to join, that I'll give you. Trotwood would be very logical.
I mean splitting Jefferson between those 3 schools not consolidating Valley View

Same as Cory Rawsons scenario

Throw in St. Clairsville/Union Local and Bellaire/Shadyside
Alot of my ideas have already been said but here's a few:

Vanlue/Arcadia --> Hancock East or Vancadia

Jefferson/ Trotwood, Valley View, and maybe West Carrolton

Antwerp, Wayne Trace, and Paulding --> Paulding County

Bradford/Covington

Continental/Miller City

Lincolnview/ Van Wert

I can go on and on
Bridgeport just built a new high school in 2007. Martins Ferry built a new “campus” on top of the hill overlooking the city in 2008. Both are fine on their own and this will never happen. The two neighbors are not too fond of each other either. They don’t compete in many sports all that often, but in a way it would be like Coldwater consolidating with Marion Local. There is a history there. From 4 hours away it looks like it makes sense on a map, but being from here, I know better.

Last edited:
Throw in St. Clairsville/Union Local and Bellaire/Shadyside
A lot of pride in these small communities. I simply do not ever see this happening. Too much bad blood and pride. However, we always tossed around this idea for fun.

Belmont East High School- Bridgeport, Martins Ferry, Bellaire, Shadyside

Belmont West High School- St. Clairsville, Barnesville, Union Local

Let’s hope it never comes to this, but always been interested by the thought of it.

Bridgeport just built a new high school in 2007. Martins Ferry built a new “campus” on top of the hill overlooking the city in 2008. Both are fine on their own and this will never happen. The two neighbors are not too fond of each other either. They don’t compete in many sports all that often, but in a way it would be like Coldwater consolidating with Marion Local. There is a history there. From 4 hours away it looks like it makes sense on a map, but being from here, I know better.
Yeah, had the same reaction when I saw the post - "That makes sense, but how many parent fights would their be in the home stands on game day?"
THIS is VERY intriguing.

I get that. But a 200 person (total) high school really will have a hard time affording the varied educational opportunities. I proposed 1000, and I see a feel think that is too high.

Geography has to play a role too. Bucyrus and Wynford are great examples. Literally like 4 houses and acres of corn is all that is between them
I like schools with about 100 to 150 of each sex per class, so 200-300 kids per class which gives you about anywhere from 800 to 1200 kids 9-12, this falls into your model I really didnt look at your post close enough assumed you want 1000 boys and 1000 girls per school. Southern schools are actually much bigger than this at some places with thousands of kids

Brown County has too many schools with empty class rooms. Western Brown is probably too big, but the other schools can really host soccer or volleyball for girls and football or soccer for boys. Winter is basketball or else nothing, then in the spring track survives because it can be a boy or girl sport that has one coach which is crap.

A lot of pride in these small communities. I simply do not ever see this happening. Too much bad blood and pride. However, we always tossed around this idea for fun.

Belmont East High School- Bridgeport, Martins Ferry, Bellaire, Shadyside

Let’s hope it never comes to this, but always been interested by the thought of it.
I do see something like this happening, for better or for worse. There are just too many schools losing enrollment. The OVAC doesn't have any big schools on the Ohio side anymore.

11 public high schools in the district (wiki)
Who and why would you merge

There are a couple others that bleed in from other counties too (West Branch, Minerva) The biggest schools in the county are D4, and 7 of the 11 fully in the county are D6/7 if I counted correctly. Population will only keep shrinking, so you could lop it to 6 probably. Hard part is where to draw the lines.