Ryan Day

Tbh I think Mark Stoops would be an upgrade. Should Ryan leave that’s who OSU should go after
He'd be one of a handful of coaches I'd be interested in that have Ohio and/or Ohio State ties.

Had a discussion with some Texas guys I talk hoops with over the Stoops to A&M rumor that rapidly got squashed by the A&M fanbase last night. Stoops has been working with probably half the resources and maybe a tenth of the recruiting base as Jimbo to similar results. Kentucky is a traditional poverty football program and he's made them credible and competitive on a consistent basis. He can build a program and has done it with limited tools to work with.

Recruits Ohio like crazy and has in a lot of ways been the dominant non-Ohio State recruiting power in Ohio regularly out muscling other Big Ten schools for the kids Ohio State doesn't want. Think he would at a minimum safely have the backyard locked down due to the connections and outreach he's done at UK coming north of the border.

My gosh, OSU has to have the most spoiled fanbase in all of sports. The man has lost 7 games total in five years and been to the playoffs 3 times.
I've yet to figure out if tOSU fans are spoiled, nuts, or some kind of legitimate combination OR some sort of combo of both for the sake of attention it receives.

He'd be one of a handful of coaches I'd be interested in that have Ohio and/or Ohio State ties.

Had a discussion with some Texas guys I talk hoops with over the Stoops to A&M rumor that rapidly got squashed by the A&M fanbase last night. Stoops has been working with probably half the resources and maybe a tenth of the recruiting base as Jimbo to similar results. Kentucky is a traditional poverty football program and he's made them credible and competitive on a consistent basis. He can build a program and has done it with limited tools to work with.

Recruits Ohio like crazy and has in a lot of ways been the dominant non-Ohio State recruiting power in Ohio regularly out muscling other Big Ten schools for the kids Ohio State doesn't want. Think he would at a minimum safely have the backyard locked down due to the connections and outreach he's done at UK coming north of the border.
I couldn’t agree more. Stoops is a beast, great win for him yesterday over Louisville. Just shows how much better the SEC is than everyone else right there for the SEC East 3rd or 4th best team to beat the ACCs 2nd best team.

I've yet to figure out if tOSU fans are spoiled, nuts, or some kind of legitimate combination OR some sort of combo of both for the sake of attention it receives.
It's bizarre. My school barely snuck into a bowl game, and I can guarantee 100% of our fans would love to have Ryan Day. The man has won 11 games in three straight seasons and he's on the hot seat, most schools have never had three straight years with 11 wins.

The guy that got fired for assaulting a student athlete? Yea talk about high character and integrity. If you can't beat 'em, slug 'em! What a freakin joke. He did throw one hell of an uppercut, I'll give you that.
OK Pal, a 70 year old man hits a 250 pound 20 year old with a Helmet
on his head. Give me a Break or a 60 Year Old Man Cheats his way with
his players to 2 CFP’s. Who has more Content of Character.?
I’m sure you will say the Cheater. Like 50% of America Would.
Now comes the integrity Piece.

I couldn’t agree more. Stoops is a beast, great win for him yesterday over Louisville. Just shows how much better the SEC is than everyone else right there for the SEC East 3rd or 4th best team to beat the ACCs 2nd best team.
Go root for the SEC. Last year when Penn State blasted 5 - 7 Auburn it was because Auburn was so bad. This year Auburn finished 6 - 6 and Alabama was very lucky to pull out the win, but that just shows how great the SEC is (ok). OSU would have def. UGA from your beloved SEC if the Buckeyes had a decent kicker or is Day that great of a coach that OSU came within one pt. of the great SEC UGA.

FWIW, even though Bo Nix rightly gets the headlines, Oregon looks like a really solid all-around team with staying power assuming they have a decent QB in the wings.
Which, in todays college football world is easier than ever should HS recruiting not pan out. Especially at a school with large NIL coffers like Oregon.

No dumbest response is “who do you hire instead”. No great coach would’ve been hired with that mindset. A program has standards and if a coach doesn’t meet them you move on.
Day's winning pct. is 89% you are going to find a coach that will have a better winning % than that. I guess Jimbo Fisher is available.

Edit: Tom Osborne guess he was not a very good coach, won 3 national championships, lost his first 5 games against Okie, according to your logic the Huskers should have fired him after his first 3 seasons, Harbaugh lost his first 5 games vs OSU, I wish TTUN would have fired him. You make statements without any facts to back them up, less Meyer is willing to come out of retirement I am not going to fire Day with a winning % of 89 %.

Last edited:
Day's winning pct. is 89% you are going to find a coach that will have a better winning % than that. I guess Jimbo Fisher is available.

Edit: Tom Osborne guess he was not a very good coach, won 3 national championships, lost his first 5 games against Okie, according to your logic the Huskers should have fired him after his first 3 seasons, Harbaugh lost his first 5 games vs OSU, I wish TTUN would have fired him. You make statements without any facts to back them up, less Meyer is willing to come out of retirement I am not going to fire Day with a winning % of 89 %.
Osborne, who was a great coach, was always the bridesmaid and was constantly criticized for coming up short every year until he lowered standards the last part of his tenure and starting bringing in a type of player he had avoided in the past…thugs and punks. But they had talent and Osborne got his championships.

Bobby Bowden, as you may recall, had a huge problem beating rival Miami…which was pretty much the only team he couldn’t beat, and was criticized as a coach with great talent, great records, but no championships until he finally started beating Miami and won his championship. He might be a good comparison to Day.

Go root for the SEC. Last year when Penn State blasted 5 - 7 Auburn it was because Auburn was so bad. This year Auburn finished 6 - 6 and Alabama was very lucky to pull out the win, but that just shows how great the SEC is (ok).
No one said the Iron Bowl showed the greatness of the SEC. What was said by me and probably others is that the Iron Bowl, especially when played at Jordan-Hare, is one of those rivalries where crazy things can happen and you can throw the record books out.

As for the quality of Auburn, that team was a tire fire last year, regularly embarrassing itself as the ill-fated Bryan Harsin tenure circled the drain. This year’s Auburn team had two really poor performances (at LSU, vs NMSU) but otherwise was much more competitive and competent, as evidenced by playing tight games with Georgia, Ole Miss and Alabama.

Day out guns 97% of the opponents he faces. The metrics do not lie, he out guns UM in talent. It is actually one of his only saving graces at the moment and one that will go away as they keep getting their butt kicked in The Game.

And for the record Day does a lot of good things. He is good in front of the camera and says the right thing most of the time and thus far has recruited relatively well even though one could argue the OSU program that Tressel and Meyer left him does a lot of that. There is no doubting he is a great offensive X and O mind. But hiring Knowles was a disaster. Not being bale to have a better QB than Honda McCord is another. They are OSU and he is Ryan Day, 99% of the QBs in the country would want to play for OSU. And then there is the attention to detail that has eroded much of what made them great under the previous regime. Remember when Larry Johnson was thought of as Dline God? His Dline is still very talented, but the schemes and their DC's emphasis are not very good. Knowles is also the LBer coach, which has been a glaring problem for OSU since his arrival. I said it before and will say it again, Jim Knowles is Don Brown (former UM DC), Don Brown is Jim Knowles. They both run gimmick defenses and Harbaugh finally wised up, canned Brown, and went after an assistant from his brother's defensive NFL staff who turned things around.

Last edited:
Go root for the SEC. Last year when Penn State blasted 5 - 7 Auburn it was because Auburn was so bad. This year Auburn finished 6 - 6 and Alabama was very lucky to pull out the win, but that just shows how great the SEC is (ok). OSU would have def. UGA from your beloved SEC if the Buckeyes had a decent kicker or is Day that great of a coach that OSU came within one pt. of the great SEC UGA.
Last I checked OSU didn't win and still got out gained by Georgia offensively by 80 yards. You can take your moral victory though, I would like actual wins.

Day out guns 97% of the opponents he faces. The metrics do not lie, he out guns UM in talent. It is actually one of his only saving graces at the moment and one that will go away as they keep getting their butt kicked in The Game.

And for the record Day does a lot of good things. He is good in front of the camera and says the right thing most of the time and thus far has recruited relatively well even though one could argue the OSU program that Tressel and Meyer left him does a lot of that. There is no doubting he is a great offensive X and O mind. But hiring Knowles was a disaster. Not being bale to have a better QB than Honda McCord is another. They are OSU and he is Ryan Day, 99% of the QBs in the country would want to play for OSU. And then there is the attention to detail that has eroded much of what made them great under the previous regime. Remember when Larry Johnson was thought of as Dline God? His Dline is still very talented, but the schemes and their DC's emphasis are not very good. Knowles is also the LBer coach, which has been a glaring problem for OSU since his arrival. I said it before and will say it again, Jim Knowles is Don Brown (former UM DC), Don Brown is Jim Knowles. They both run gimmick defenses and Harbaugh finally wised up, canned Brown, and went after an assistant from his brother's defensive staff who turned things around.
i agree, Knowles has to go but to fire Day would be a big gamble, OSU could do lot worse. Again timing is everything when Tressel got hired he followed Cooper (Day followed 7-0 Meyer) and Carr was the HC at TTUN, Carr is not Harbaugh.

Day isn't being fired. Who the new AD is, and where they are from, will be a huge factor in his future. A fourth straight loss to Michigan and the new AD might decide they want to make their own mark and invite Day to seek out an NFL job. The coach I have my eye on is DeBoer from Washington. He started at a small school, then to Fresno Sate, then Washington. He's won at every stop. He's QB-centric in background, as well. Another great year at Washington, coupled with another loss to Michigan by Day, and I would ask him how much it would take to jump from Seattle to Columbus. Might not want to leave UW, of course, but I would make him an offer he can't refuse. Lanning might be my second choice.

Last edited:
Day isn't being fired. Who the new AD is, and where they are from, will be a huge factor in his future. A fourth straight loss to Michigan and the new AD might decide they want to make their own mark and invite Day to seek out an NFL job. The coach I have my eye on is DeBoer from Washington. He started at a small school, then to Fresno Sate, then Washington. He's won at every stop. He's QB-centric in background, as well. Another great year at Washington, coupled with another loss to Michigan by Day, and I would ask him how much it would take to jump from Seattle to Columbus. Might not want to leave UW, of course, but I would make him an offer he can't refuse. Lanning might be my second choice.
If Day does get fired in the near future, the 2 most successful programs in college football UGA and Alabama have defensive coaches as their HC's. I believe in imitating what the best do, I don't want another Lincoln Riley, still need to have a capable defense to win NC's.

I actually met and clinicked with DeBoer when he was the OC at EMU. One of the best football minds I have ever been around.

If Day does get fired in the near future, the 2 most successful programs in college football UGA and Alabama have defensive coaches as their HC's. I believe in imitating what the best do, I don't want another Lincoln Riley, still need to have a capable defense to win NC's.
I’ve always been of the school of thought that the best HCs are former defensive guys.

It's bizarre. My school barely snuck into a bowl game, and I can guarantee 100% of our fans would love to have Ryan Day. The man has won 11 games in three straight seasons and he's on the hot seat, most schools have never had three straight years with 11 wins.
Coop was in Columbus for 13 seasons and had a worse win percentage during his tenure than Day has. In fact Day is a percentage point for ole Urban Meyer's tenure at tOSU.

I still want to know who would be an actual replacement. No one seems to be settled on a top 3 list or even a top 1.