Ryan Day

UGA won the last 2 NC's with a QB who may never see a down in the NFL. If Day were to leave in the future my choice would be Vrabel, but I don't know if he would want anything to do with college.
It would be a hard sell due to his record as HC, but I’ve always liked Wilcox at Cal. He’s a great defensive mind and I think he’s done well in a very difficult place to coach football. His teams always compete hard, they are just outgunned most games. Like I said, though, the Buckeyes could never sell him to the public.

If Day does get fired in the near future, the 2 most successful programs in college football UGA and Alabama have defensive coaches as their HC's. I believe in imitating what the best do, I don't want another Lincoln Riley, still need to have a capable defense to win NC's.
Choosing a Big 12 DC was not the way to go.

Go root for the SEC. Last year when Penn State blasted 5 - 7 Auburn it was because Auburn was so bad. This year Auburn finished 6 - 6 and Alabama was very lucky to pull out the win, but that just shows how great the SEC is (ok). OSU would have def. UGA from your beloved SEC if the Buckeyes had a decent kicker or is Day that great of a coach that OSU came within one pt. of the great SEC UGA.
I remember a 2013 Buckeye squad ranked 3rd lucky to survive 7-6, 3-5 Big Ten Michigan. Took stopping a 2point conversion

May I remind a Michigan squad led by Hoke. What was wrong with Urban that day?

He was at Indiana, also. He’s spent a little time in the Midwest. He’s from South Dakota. Not a West Coast guy.
Yeah, came from NAIA. TBH the HC at EMU, Chris Creighton, is excellent as well. Anyone who can win at EMU is a solid HC. Very surprised he has not been scooped up by someone larger yet but the MAC does not have the same allure it did 20 years ago.

Yeah, came from NAIA. TBH the HC at EMU, Chris Creighton, is excellent as well. Anyone who can win at EMU is a solid HC. Very surprised he has not been scooped up by someone larger yet but the MAC does not have the same allure it did 20 years ago.
Yeah, I agree about Creighton. You would think he would be scooped up by some school that saw what the dude at Kansas has done.

Again, IMO, it's not so much Day, as the coaches around him. People with eyes on the sideline commented that Laurinaitas was the only coach getting in players faces and grabbing jerseys on Saturday. Hell, I'd take a look at poaching JT from the Lions or Smooth Jazz from the Hogs and send Dennis packing. And I was initially on board with Knowles, but I'm starting to sour. The LB's, along with his penchant for overcorrection are costing the Bucks in big games. Bend but don't brake looks nice on a stat sheet for lack of explosives, but does not help when you can't adjust in real-time to stop your rival from killing you via death by a thousand cuts.

And some of the feedback from folks at field level had concern about the Bucks being wound too tightly. McCord's pregame speech was essentially telling his guys not to make mistakes. He reportedly said it four times. And going up the tunnel down 14-10 at halftime, it was radio silence with the exception of Jack Sawyer trying to pump up the team. If this stuff is true, it would appear the team is mimicking Day's approach. Again, my speculation and opinion, but Day does not reek of playing loose and letting it rip. And while this approach will likely get it done in 95% of their games with this talent, the 5% kills you in the games that really matter.

I'll also be interested to see what happens if Chip gets fired at UCLA. Does Day bring him aboard in some capacity, as they're close friends and have a long history together.

Oh, and blow up your Special Teams room. Lol. Maybe hold student tryouts for punter and kicker.

Again, IMO, it's not so much Day, as the coaches around him. People with eyes on the sideline commented that Laurinaitas was the only coach getting in players faces and grabbing jerseys on Saturday. Hell, I'd take a look at poaching JT from the Lions or Smooth Jazz from the Hogs and send Dennis packing. And I was initially on board with Knowles, but I'm starting to sour. The LB's, along with his penchant for overcorrection are costing the Bucks in big games. Bend but don't brake looks nice on a stat sheet for lack of explosives, but does not help when you can't adjust in real-time to stop your rival from killing you via death by a thousand cuts.

And some of the feedback from folks at field level had concern about the Bucks being wound too tightly. McCord's pregame speech was essentially telling his guys not to make mistakes. He reportedly said it four times. And going up the tunnel down 14-10 at halftime, it was radio silence with the exception of Jack Sawyer trying to pump up the team. If this stuff is true, it would appear the team is mimicking Day's approach. Again, my speculation and opinion, but Day does not reek of playing loose and letting it rip. And while this approach will likely get it done in 95% of their games with this talent, the 5% kills you in the games that really matter.

I'll also be interested to see what happens if Chip gets fired at UCLA. Does Day bring him aboard in some capacity, as they're close friends and have a long history together.

Oh, and blow up your Special Teams room. Lol. Maybe hold student tryouts for punter and kicker.
Laurinaitis could do that because who on OSU is going to kick his can? He and his Dad are, for lack of better description, animals

Reminds me of Charles BARKLEY story when Moses Malone told Chuck he was fat and lazy. "I cried. I couldn't kick his , he was Moses Malone."

There's really no other program like Ohio State. It has almost complete dominance of one of the best states for football talent plus one of the top 3 or 4 national brands. A gorilla with a concussion is going to win 8 games here. Ohio State has 3 goals: beat their rivals, win the conference, make the playoff. Aside from beating a mediocre Notre Dame squad and Penn State, Day has not really shown up against other elite programs. Getting shelled at home by Oregon was a red flag. The way he turtled the offense after MHJ went down against Georgia is another. Losing 3 straight to Michigan is a very big problem. Ohio State has to beat Michigan for one very important reason: they fight over the same recruits. Continuously losing to the Wolverines has historically cost the Buckeyes a lot of talent.

There's really no other program like Ohio State. It has almost complete dominance of one of the best states for football talent plus one of the top 3 or 4 national brands. A gorilla with a concussion is going to win 8 games here. Ohio State has 3 goals: beat their rivals, win the conference, make the playoff. Aside from beating a mediocre Notre Dame squad and Penn State, Day has not really shown up against other elite programs. Getting shelled at home by Oregon was a red flag. The way he turtled the offense after MHJ went down against Georgia is another. Losing 3 straight to Michigan is a very big problem. Ohio State has to beat Michigan for one very important reason: they fight over the same recruits. Continuously losing to the Wolverines has historically cost the Buckeyes a lot of talent.
I gained a little amount of respect for Oregon that day. They went into Columbus and told the Buckeyes, Duck You

Jim Tressel only twice in his coaching career at OSU lost less than 2 games in a season at OSU (including a 7-5 and 8-4 record) 2010 season vacated. Now he did win one NC and did beat TTUN however Harbaugh is a better coach than any weasel team Tressel faced. Finding a great HC is not that easy, both Spurrier and Meyer won NC's at UF but since Meyer left it has been a turnstile for the Gator's at the HC position. And Ohio is not near the football factory it was 20 years ago most of the football talent is down south or in California. OSU had 6 starters on their team from Ohio vs TTUN, TTUN just one, Xichigan use to live off of Ohio players not anymore.

A couple of things I've been mulling:

My son sent me an audio link of a fan absolutely losing his $#*& on a Cbus radio call-in post game show. It's funny but the substance of what he was saying isn't much different than some of the takes on here.

Perspective, unfortunately, often requires tragedy to get. If you lose a kid in an auto accident in late Nov, you tend to not get as upset when your CFB team loses a game. Just sayin. Let's hope no one else has to get it that way.

Despite the wishes of some, Day is not going to get fired. Lol. It is a total absurdity to treat it as if it could actually happen. He could resign and take another job - but I doubt it. He has a lot of a championship program in place, but there are some legit questions about how he has his staff arranged, particularly with QB and Special Teams coaches, OC, and whether the HC can/should also call plays.

That game Saturday had two great teams in it and was won in the "margins". It was right there for the Buckeyes to take, but the other guys made more critical plays at critical times.

My harshest criticism of Day is that he lied to me. After losing last year's game to scUM, he said he recognized that you have to play loose, be aggressive on offense, and let it rip. He goes out and does that against Georgia and dang near won that game. So, it looked like he learned his lesson.

The first 9 games of this year, we didn't really see that. I thought he was babying his young QB along and protecting him - but building up to unleashing him. Then in the 10th game, he did it. Against Sparty they were chucking it more on 1st down, throwing more on all downs, and they erupted for 35 points in 1 half. There it was! I excused him for vanilla/conservative play-calling vs Minny because that is a win and be healthy at the end type of game.

Now it's time to go to AA, be aggressive, score points, make scUM play from behind and... we got another game of very cautious, predictable play-calling with only splashes of aggression that resulted in Ohio St playing it close and hoping for an opportunity to win at the end. It almost worked. They did get that chance, but that's how scUM plays the game. Day never made their offense or defense feel significant anxiety or pressure; never made them feel like what they were doing wasn't going to work or be enough.

Given the experience from the scUM and Ga games last year and what the man said he had learned and intended to do, what I saw Sat made no sense. You have 18, 2, 6, and 4. You have 32 you can use in the pass game out of the backfield. That's where your talent advantage is. 12 games in, you have to trust your QB enough to maximize your use of your advantage. You have what some say is the best player in CFB - and you target him 9 times. That is beyond my comprehension how and why that happens. Besides the staff issues, this is what he needs to change. If you are going to go down, go down getting the ball to your best players, doing what they do best. If it's not good enough, at least you went down giving it your best shot. FWIW

OK Pal, a 70 year old man hits a 250 pound 20 year old with a Helmet
on his head. Give me a Break or a 60 Year Old Man Cheats his way with
his players to 2 CFP’s. Who has more Content of Character.?
I’m sure you will say the Cheater. Like 50% of America Would.
Now comes the integrity Piece.
99.99999% of college football coaches have never punched a player on an opposing team or their own team. Old Woody is in the top 0.1% in that regard. If you consider that a man of integrity and character, one would have to question your character. Trying to find a Buckeye fan with integrity is like Jacques Cousteau trying to find a dry spot in the ocean.

Jim Tressel only twice in his coaching career at OSU lost less than 2 games in a season at OSU (including a 7-5 and 8-4 record) 2010 season vacated. Now he did win one NC and did beat TTUN however Harbaugh is a better coach than any weasel team Tressel faced. Finding a great HC is not that easy, both Spurrier and Meyer won NC's at UF but since Meyer left it has been a turnstile for the Gator's at the HC position. And Ohio is not near the football factory it was 20 years ago most of the football talent is down south or in California. OSU had 6 starters on their team from Ohio vs TTUN, TTUN just one, Xichigan use to live off of Ohio players not anymore.
Disagree. That 06’ Michigan team would beat everyone in this years B10 IMO.

Agree with all else. Ohio is not the football factory it once was. A declining and aging population has hurt the Buckeye State in this regard. Ohio HS ball has dropped a lot over the past 15 years.

With one or two exceptions (2006, maybe one or two other years?), the Michigan teams Day has lost to are better than the teams Urban and Tressel beat up on.

These last few Michigan teams would throttle the majority of the teams Michigan has had over the last 20 years.

Disagree. That 06’ Michigan team would beat everyone in this years B10 IMO.

Agree with all else. Ohio is not the football factory it once was. A declining and aging population has hurt the Buckeye State in this regard. Ohio HS ball has dropped a lot over the past 15 years.
I’ve said this on the HS football board but it’s never a good look for one of the D1 title game participants to have been blown out early in the season by an out of state team.

Coop was in Columbus for 13 seasons and had a worse win percentage during his tenure than Day has. In fact Day is a percentage point for ole Urban Meyer's tenure at tOSU.

I still want to know who would be an actual replacement. No one seems to be settled on a top 3 list or even a top 1.
This is only true if you have your head all the way up your rear end IMO.

Makes zero sense to fire a coach for not winning enough against Michigan to just go hire some big name/hot name coach (unless it's Kirby Smart).

Ohioans or guys with Ohio State ties:
Luke Fickell
Mark Stoops
Mike Vrabel
Marcus Freeman
Brian Hartline
Matt Campbell

Unless you feel like one of those guys would do better...being a realist you need to stick with Ryan Day.

Do we really know how good of a HC Day is? He was handed the keys to one of the top 4 programs with a loaded roster. Has he continually beat the teams he should, yes, OSU has the most overall talent in the Big Ten and should win every Big Ten game as only two programs have anywhere near the talent to compete with them, Michigan and PSU (and PSU has a Franklin problem). Day has never been a head coach at a program where he had to build and develop a roster and development, is the area that I feel OSU is lacking. They bring in the 5 Stars who are ready to go from Day 1, but it is the rest of the roster that never really seems to reach peak development. If he takes a hard look at himself and his staff and fixes that problem, he will turn around his record versus the top teams he faces, if not, he is James Franklin with more talent.

No risk it no biscuit.

99.99999% of college football coaches have never punched a player on an opposing team or their own team. Old Woody is in the top 0.1% in that regard. If you consider that a man of integrity and character, one would have to question your character. Trying to find a Buckeye fan with integrity is like Jacques Cousteau trying to find a dry spot in the ocean.
You live in a Fantasy Land. It appears you have very little real life
Exposure to D1 College Football in 2023 or to W.W. Hayes.
Your comments clearly define your character.

A couple of sayings come to mind:

"The world will define you by your worst public act."

"The evil men do lives on after them, but the good they do is interred with their bones."

Every good man has done evil at some point or another. Some evil men do some good on occasion. If this is true, and we want to judge each other justly, we need to try to have some sense of proportionality of the good and the evil that a life represents. To be fair to Woody, one would need to know the volume of good be did and balance it against the known bad. Great or famous men are often difficult to judge, if one feels they have to, because we don't know enough about them. But it's good to think about how we would like to be judged, and apply that standard to others. FWIW

You live in a Fantasy Land. It appears you have very little real life
Exposure to D1 College Football in 2023 or to W.W. Hayes.
Your comments clearly define your character.
W.W. Hayes. More like WWF Hayes. Buckeye delusion has clearly clouded your judgement.

Do we really know how good of a HC Day is? He was handed the keys to one of the top 4 programs with a loaded roster. Has he continually beat the teams he should, yes, OSU has the most overall talent in the Big Ten and should win every Big Ten game as only two programs have anywhere near the talent to compete with them, Michigan and PSU (and PSU has a Franklin problem). Day has never been a head coach at a program where he had to build and develop a roster and development, is the area that I feel OSU is lacking. They bring in the 5 Stars who are ready to go from Day 1, but it is the rest of the roster that never really seems to reach peak development. If he takes a hard look at himself and his staff and fixes that problem, he will turn around his record versus the top teams he faces, if not, he is James Franklin with more talent.
We know that he isn't very good. He's average at best. Great recruiter but one of the worst coaches in a big game I've ever seen.

This. Day has never been a HC anywhere, Meyer was at BG, Utah, UF, then OSU. Kirby Smart coached 6 years at UGA before winning a title and UGA has just as much talent as OSU (definitely better recruiting area, amazing OSU gets the talent the Bucks get considering the weather). OSU problem ever since Hafley left has been on the defensive side, it is hard to score pts. when you don't have the football.

We know that he isn't very good. He's average at best. Great recruiter but one of the worst coaches in a big game I've ever seen.
USC, Texas, Florida, UGA, Alabama, Oklahoma all have the same pedigree as OSU. Posters forget before 01-02 OSU had not won a NC in over 30 years. All but bammy and UGA I guess have terrible big game coaches. That terrible big game coach offense scored 40 pts. in the NC last year.

IMO, Day needs to officially hand off play-calling/OC duties to Hartline (not just ceremoniously in title to keep him around). Yesterday was yet another example of tight Ryan playing not to lose, even though they ironically never led in the game. I am now convinced that someone possessed his body during that Georgia game, because that was the outlier. And hopefully Fleming gets his pink slip at some point today. This should go without saying. It would allow them the numbers to give Laurinaitis the official title, and kill his GA tag. Lastly, Honda McCord is clearly not the dude. He made a bizarre statement this week when referring to ‘The Game’ as just another game. Lol. Brown ain’t it either. I would love to see Kienholz & Noland battle for the spot next year.
They tried that this past spring and Hartline couldn’t do it