Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, CalPreps has the St. Edward/Springfield matchup as the most competitive of the 7 finals matchups at 60/40.
http://www.calpreps.com/cgi-bin/2022/weekview.pl?week=Ohio_13

Thursday, December 1st

II CHAMPIONSHIP
Archbishop Hoban (Akron, OH) vs. Central Catholic (Toledo, OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 7:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Archbishop Hoban (Akron, OH) 35 (72%) Central Catholic (Toledo, OH) 27 (28%)]

Friday, December 2nd

I CHAMPIONSHIP
St. Edward (Lakewood, OH) vs. Springfield (OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: St. Edward (Lakewood, OH) 24 (60%) Springfield (OH) 20 (40%)]

III CHAMPIONSHIP
Canfield (OH) vs. Bloom-Carroll (Carroll, OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 3:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Canfield (OH) 27 (62%) Bloom-Carroll (Carroll, OH) 21 (38%)]

V CHAMPIONSHIP
South Range (Canfield, OH) vs. Ironton (OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 10:30am [projection and percent chances to win: South Range (Canfield, OH) 28 (65%) Ironton (OH) 21 (35%)]

Saturday, December 3rd

IV CHAMPIONSHIP
Glenville (Cleveland, OH) vs. Wyoming (Cincinnati, OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 7:30pm [projection and percent chances to win: Glenville (Cleveland, OH) 28 (75%) Wyoming (Cincinnati, OH) 17 (25%)]

VI CHAMPIONSHIP
Marion Local (Maria Stein, OH) vs. Kirtland (OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 10:30am [projection and percent chances to win: Marion Local (Maria Stein, OH) 24 (74%) Kirtland (OH) 14 (26%)]

VII CHAMPIONSHIP
New Bremen (OH) vs. Kennedy (Warren, OH) at Benson Stadium (Canton, OH), 3:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: New Bremen (OH) 22 (72%) Kennedy [John F.] (Warren, OH) 14 (28%)]
Man, when's the last time Kirtland was this big of an underdog? Crazy. I can't wait to see that game.

Kilbane and Gedeon are a great tandem for St. Ed's, but I'm not even sure this year's DL is better than last year's. The 2021 DTs - Harvey and Oudeman were fantastic, and Molnar was a terrific DE who rotated in regularly. The 2015 DL with O'Malley, Reynolds, and Herold was another great one. But the 2010 DL with Deontae Gibson, Greg Kuhar, Tom Lally, and Darryl Render might have been the best Eagle DL.

The 2010 OL which featured Kyle Kalis (Michigan), Geoff Mogus (Northwestern), Tyler Orlosky (WVU), Trent Rivera (Penn), Brandon Jackson (WVU), and Sam Grant (TE, Oklahoma) was undoubtedly the best ever for St. Ed's.
Agree. That's why I asked espn if he even watched football in the past.

1669771123175.png

Wow. Lived here my whole life and never even knew that place existed. That is on the west side actually in Millcreek (where McDowell HS is). I live about 20-25 minutes further east. So I don't get to the west side a lot. But I'll bet they are still there. Erie Prep just lost this weekend 21-14 to Pine Richland in the state quarterfinals. McDowell lost last week in a sub regional game in 3 OT's. It was like 56-50. But Pa, in Ot both teams get the ball at the 10 yard line. Which is a joke. So it was in the 30's after regulation.
I know Erie Cath Prep had a field away from the school (Just like St Edward) but the one Erie HS stadium I loved when we went up there was this stadium with an old school in the end zone. A really cool old school made of stone I think, Cath. Prep played there once, but I don't think it was the regular stadium they used. I love that 3B bar in Erie. Really nice folks.

History tends to repeat itself ask HH Wayne about that.
You guys have 5 trophies. You can spare this one. And, you're not dealing with Wayne anymore. There's a new sheriff in town. Btw, how many State title games did St Ed lose before they won 5? You of all people can attest to the fact that history can be changed, reversed actually. I for one believe we will witness that on Friday.

Last edited:
Wasn't Wayne winning the last one with under 1 minute left? Looked like they had it in the bag?
No. St. Edward took the lead 38-35 and then executed a crushing onside kick. They scored on the very next play to make it 45-35 which ended up being the final score.

No. St. Edward took the lead 38-35 and then executed a crushing onside kick. They scored on the very next play to make it 45-35 which ended up being the final score. I remember a game where Wayne was winning at the very end and it looked like they had it.
I remember a game where Wayne was down big, but they came back to take the lead and it looked like they had it won. Does that sound familiar?

Playing 1 dimensional football which Springfield will do is a recipe for disaster.

just stating the facts.

I just want all these Springfield posters to stick around after and not disappear into oblivion for 8 months.
Conventional wisdom says you’re probably right but when an offense is clicking as effectively as Springfield is, if you can’t stop them, you’ll have to match them. Can the Eagles do that? Time will tell. The Eagles should win but it will not surprise me to see Springfield take the title.

Yes, you’re correct. I was there. Wayne was down 31-14 and scored 21 unanswered points to take the lead, 35-31.
Yes! That was it. Watching it, I remember thinking that they were going to win. The St Ed comeback was so unbelievable. Was it 31-14 in the 4th qtr?

Yes! That was it. Watching it, I remember thinking that they were going to win. The St Ed comeback was so unbelievable. Was it 31-14 in the 4th qtr?
St. Edward went ahead 31-14 with 10:43 left in the 4th quarter. Wayne then scored 21 unanswered points, the last touchdown coming at the 3:47 mark. The Eagles then answered with a 7 play, 68-yard touchdown drive, the score coming with 1:19 remaining. Eds then somehow managed to carom the kickoff off a Warrior player and recovered the ball. On the next play, Cole Gest sprinted 51-yard to the goal line, scoring a TD at the 1:07 mark. Each team scored 21 points in that wild and wooly 4th quarter! Just goes to show you that the game ain’t over ‘til it’s over.

Last edited:
St. Edward went ahead 31-14 with 10:43 left in the 4th quarter. Wayne then scored 21 unanswered points, the last touchdown coming at the 3:47 mark. The Eagles then answered with a 7 play, 68-yard touchdown drive, the score coming with 1:19 remaining. Eds then somehow managed to carom the kickoff off a Warrior player and recovered the ball. On the next play, Cole Gest sprinted 51-yard to the goal line, scoring a TD at the 1:07 mark. Each team scored 21 points in that wild and wooly 4th quarter! Just goes to show you that the game ain’t over ‘til it’s over.
Yes, I do remember all of that now. And I remember the St Eds players were not fazed at all when Wayne took the lead. They drove down field angry and annoyed, like bulldozers. But I did think Wayne would drive downfield and have a shot at the end zone in the final seconds. It was impressive how St Eds' players took control at the end and finished them off.

The 2010 Eds-Wayne game was the one that turned Eds into the proven powerhouse program it is now. Until then we were little brother to Ignatius and their then 10 titles. Winning that game changed the entire landscape of big school football in Northern Ohio. Wayne was always a formidable opponent with great kids and fans. I find myself cheering for them to win (as long as we aren't in it ;)).

It does feel like deja vu with Springfield now, the big public vs the big private playing again for the title, and like those Wayne games, it's the most competitive and hardest to pick a favorite in out of all of the title games.

Let the trolling begin. It really is amazing. The more SHS wins and proves everyone wrong, the more hate, jealousy and trolling there is. They can't stand this!!!
What big recruits does MoDo have coming in next year?
If the fighting douglases win will they beg the public to donate money to buy championship rings for players, coaches and cheerleaders like he did at TM?

I haven't seen Springfield play this year other than the last couple of minutes of the Moeller game on Spectrum News 1 extended coverage after the Ed's game this past Friday night. I have, however, seen St. Ed's play most of their games. While nearly all teams will improve over the course of the season the Ed's players seem to have gotten stronger in just about every aspect of the game. Not only have they improved individually but they really seem to have jelled as a unit. In a nod to both coaching and conditioning I would also suggest that they've played stronger in the second halves of games than in the first halves.

Four of Springfield's eight regular season wins came against teams that ended the season with a losing record, while St. Ed's had only one such opponent out of their nine regular season wins. Furthermore, Springfield's best wins were against a two-loss and a three-loss team while St. Ed's beat three teams who were undefeated in the regular season but for their loss to the Eagles.

While Springfield has a strong team and, as the old adage goes "on any given day", St. Ed's certainly has the stronger pedigree and, should they play to their capabilities, will come away with a win (double-digit).
The same enology was said about Moeller and their strong schedule. Yet they are sitting at home this week. 🤔

Kilbane and Gedeon are a great tandem for St. Ed's, but I'm not even sure this year's DL is better than last year's. The 2021 DTs - Harvey and Oudeman were fantastic, and Molnar was a terrific DE who rotated in regularly. The 2015 DL with O'Malley, Reynolds, and Herold was another great one. But the 2010 DL with Deontae Gibson, Greg Kuhar, Tom Lally, and Darryl Render might have been the best Eagle DL.

The 2010 OL which featured Kyle Kalis (Michigan), Geoff Mogus (Northwestern), Tyler Orlosky (WVU), Trent Rivera (Penn), Brandon Jackson (WVU), and Sam Grant (TE, Oklahoma) was undoubtedly the best ever for St. Ed's.
Agreed on the 2010 o-line. I've considered them the best in Ohio history since then. Coach Lombardi and I have discussed on the radio how the current "Big Three" of Roebuck and the Armstrongs may surpass them more than once. The breadth of the 2010 group--from tackle to tight end--was amazing. They were all good. Kyle Kalis was elite. This group has 3 guys who are elite. At least the college recruiters think so.

Great they have a ton of offers. You immediately put them all in the best category. Have you been watching Ohio football for the past 35 years? Longer?

And I have posted many times how high I am on Kilbane. Gideon is very good but Kilbane is an all-timer.
We seem to agree more than disagree. Although I'm higher on Gedeon than most. Here's how I characterize the two. Knowing the mathematical impossibility it is to make the NFL, I still won't be surprised if Gedeon makes the NFL. And I'll be surprised if Kilbane doesn't.

Oh, about 57 years on that other question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.