Ohio Cardinal Conference

The class of this conference this year is obviously West Holmes and Mansfield Sr. Second tier is Wooster and Ashland, then everyone else. You guys have nothing to worry about from the Quackers this year.

Madison has been in both games but they just can’t finish. Up 28-24 with 7 minutes left in the 4th and end up losing 44-28. Madison passed for 348 yards and should have been more but wide open deep ball was dropped which would have went for about 60 yard Td. Im really happy Valentine has them playing better but they need to find a way to finish games. Also the defense gives up way to many 3rd down conversions. They will get a team in 3rd and 15 and give up a 1st down. They lose to Shelby 10-7 which was by far better then this River Valley team. I expect Shelby to beat River Valley by 3 tds. Lets see if Madison can get a win against Ontario which will most likely be their easiest out of conference game. I know Ontario is 2-0 but they have beaten a weak Lexington team barely and a smaller weaker St. Paul team. Ontario doesn’t have near the Athletes that Shelby or River Valley has.

Tier 1 west Holmes Mansfield
Tier 2 Wooster new Philadelphia ashland
Tier 3 madison
Tier 4 mt Vernon Lexington
How do you put Ashland in tier 2 after losing 66-28 to Norwayne lol? They come back and beat a very weak Marion Harding team that lost to a very weak Mount Vernon team. right now Ashland is in tier 3 for sure. New Philly has a bad offense but a very good defense that held Steubenville to 20 points. Wooster and New Philly will beat Ashland.

Tier 1: West Holmes and Mansfield

Tier 2: New Philly and Wooster

Tier 3: Madison and Ashland

Tier 4: Lexington and Mount Vernon

Madison has been in both games but they just can’t finish. Up 28-24 with 7 minutes left in the 4th and end up losing 44-28. Madison passed for 348 yards and should have been more but wide open deep ball was dropped which would have went for about 60 yard Td. Im really happy Valentine has them playing better but they need to find a way to finish games. Also the defense gives up way to many 3rd down conversions. They will get a team in 3rd and 15 and give up a 1st down. They lose to Shelby 10-7 which was by far better then this River Valley team. I expect Shelby to beat River Valley by 3 tds. Lets see if Madison can get a win against Ontario which will most likely be their easiest out of conference game. I know Ontario is 2-0 but they have beaten a weak Lexington team barely and a smaller weaker St. Paul team. Ontario doesn’t have near the Athletes that Shelby or River Valley has.
At least you guys are competitive. I don’t think Madison scored 28 points in a game all last season. Give it time, they will be fine

How do you put Ashland in tier 2 after losing 66-28 to Norwayne lol? They come back and beat a very weak Marion Harding team that lost to a very weak Mount Vernon team. right now Ashland is in tier 3 for sure. New Philly has a bad offense but a very good defense that held Steubenville to 20 points. Wooster and New Philly will beat Ashland.

I’m not sure how you can put a Madison team who has won 1 game in the past 4 years in any tier but last place. I don’t care how many moral victories you have, until Madison starts winning games constantly, they should be at the bottom.

Tend to agree with this layout. And would add the gap from Tier 1 to Tier 2 is LARGE!!!!

My take is,
Tier 1 West Holmes / Mansfield
Tier 2 Wooster
Tier 3 Ashland and New Phil
Tier 4 Mt Vernon
Tier 4.5 Madison / Lexington

I think this is a good list right now!

Ashland and New Philly could go up or down between 2-4. I have Mansfield at the top and West Holmes #2. I know the Ashland haters/Madison lovers won't like them at the bottom, but until they start winning I think they have to be. Their coaching staff should get them 2-3 wins minimum though so I could see them finishing between 3-4

I think this is a good list right now!

Ashland and New Philly could go up or down between 2-4. I have Mansfield at the top and West Holmes #2. I know the Ashland haters/Madison lovers won't like them at the bottom, but until they start winning I think they have to be. Their coaching staff should get them 2-3 wins minimum though so I could see them finishing between 3-4
I can't wait to see Mansfield and West Holmes go at it in week 4. I would have liked to see these teams play later in the year when both are hitting their stride....

I can't wait to see Mansfield and West Holmes go at it in week 4. I would have liked to see these teams play later in the year when both are hitting their stride....
Agreed. Have had that game circled for months. With Massillon this week and W. Holmes in week 3, Senior could lock up a top 3 seed before mid-season.

Side note - historically, the Knights have been a wee bit notorious for forgetting to cut the grass before a fast team comes to town (thinking back to those great Ashland spread teams where you could barely tell what color cleats the players were wearing). Haven't been to Millersburg for a game in awhile, but would have to image with SWD leading their team the groundskeepers have had to lower the mower decks more than they're used to doing. ; )

1) Thank you for noticing. It's nice to know someone is watching.

2) @spirit454 was polite in how he worded it. There are a multitude of things, but for me it started 20 years ago when Wooster left the Federal League (where they were among peer sized schools) and joined the OCC in what most saw as an attempt to take advantage of becoming the "biggest kid in class."

3) These are the 6 oldest rivalries in Ohio, not in order, with the school's current division. See if you can find the one that's "different" than the rest.
Massillon (2) - McKinley (1)
Ironton (5) - Portsmouth (5)
Bellaire (6) - Martins Ferry (6)
Sandusky (3) - Fremont Ross (2)
Ravenna (3) - Roosevelt (4)
Wooster (2) - Orrville (5)

I understand and respect the history of the rivalry with your neighbors to the east. And I'm sure they probably would never want to cancel the game, but at some point things change. Frankly, it's a no-win situation for Wooster. If you win - congrat, you beat a school 3 divisions smaller than you. Yay! If you lose......yikes. Considering the game has been played for over 100 years and (last I heard) the Generals had a 15 game advantage is, as they say, "not great."

Obviously we see this differently and I can respect that. But please understand, outside of folks wearing gold & blue (and especially on the football forum), Wooster's kind of a joke.

Biggest positive - naming the field after Charles Follis. To me, that's one of the best backstory of all the named fields in Ohio. (for anyone interested - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Follis)
How about the Dover - New Philadelphia rivalry that began in 1896??
Source: https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/5103066

Agreed. Have had that game circled for months. With Massillon this week and W. Holmes in week 3, Senior could lock up a top 3 seed before mid-season.

Side note - historically, the Knights have been a wee bit notorious for forgetting to cut the grass before a fast team comes to town (thinking back to those great Ashland spread teams where you could barely tell what color cleats the players were wearing). Haven't been to Millersburg for a game in awhile, but would have to image with SWD leading their team the groundskeepers have had to lower the mower decks more than they're used to doing. ; )
The same guy that does Lexington's field does West Holmes or at least it has been that way the last few years. I wonder if he takes requests for turf height lol. Last year at Shelby was the tallest grass I have ever seen on a football field!

WEEK 3 Picks!!

Went 6-2 last week, I still think Madison is better than River Valley, not sure how they let that one slip away. Here's the picks for this week:

Madison over Ontario 28-17
- Ontario may have played 2 of the worst teams in the area.. BUT they are 2-0, I still have the Rams in this one

Ashland over Buckeye Valley 28-21
- This game worries me a little bit because of how close they played Alder last week

Clear Fork over Lexington 42-14
- Lex is in a tough place right now

New Philly over Wooster 24-14
- Is New Philly for real? Should be a good game and tell a lot

Mansfield over Massillon 31-28
- Definitely my OCC homer pick, Massillon is the smart choice

Delaware Hayes over Mt Vernon 35-14
- Not a good matchup

West Holmes over Licking Valley 42-13
- I didn't realize how weak WH non-league schedule was!