Will the 2020 Season Be Played This Year?

Will the 2020 Season Be Played This Year?

• Yes - complete season with no interuptions

Votes: 96 39.3%
  • Yes - but there will be games missed due to local Coronavirus issues

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • Yes - season will start late but we will finish it playing fewer games than normal

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • No - season will start but get interrupted and cancelled

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • No - season will be completely cancelled

Votes: 52 21.3%
  • Other - post below

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Colleges, specially smaller one, are dealing with an increased amount of online enrollment and a lack of student walking the campus. Add that to the amount of cost to covid guidelines to allow you to play other colleges from across state lines. Maybe from another state that has been hit very hard with deaths or your travel and stay in a state with high hospitalizations. OR maybe even the fact that a schools coaching staff is all over the age of 50 could factor. Then you take a school like Bowdoin and know their football team has gone 1-34 in the last 4 seasons and you can imagine the funds they are losing so in some ways canceling could help them.

Institut Pasteur, along with other public health agencies recruited students, teachers, non-teaching staff, parents and siblings of students for the study.

The high school used in the study was in Crépy-en Valois, the same town where a 60-year-old teacher was diagnosed with coronavirus in late February, before dying.

Among the 661 participants, the study found that only 171 were diagnosed as positive – 25.9 percent.

The students, teachers and non-teaching staff of the school, tested at a higher rate of 40.9 percent compared to only 10.9 percent of parents and siblings.

They have no idea where he caught the covid from. All the study SUGGESTS is that he was more likely to have caught it from one of the students then from one of their parents or siblings. But the study doesn't address the odds of him getting infected from someone else in the town unaffiliated with the school. There's no data on the infection rate for the rest of the town nor do we know what the infection rate was among his circle of friends/family.

Crépy-en Valois is a town of 15,090 people, They only surveyed 661 people and the survey was not a randomized one where they could extrapolate their sample to the whole population but a targeted survey of the students and their families.

Sorry but IMO you're taking the wrong message from the results of this study.

Cincinnati Public just announced a blender option for next year. It's the most ridiculous and confusing option out there that no staff member or parent wanted, so of course they chose that one. It's going to be interesting to see if athletes show up for practice when they are not on campus that day, especially when the vast majority rise the METRO bus. Every person I know that works for or has kids in CPS are beyond pissed.

They have no idea where he caught the covid from. All the study SUGGESTS is that he was more likely to have caught it from one of the students then from one of their parents or siblings. But the study doesn't address the odds of him getting infected from someone else in the town unaffiliated with the school. There's no data on the infection rate for the rest of the town nor do we know what the infection rate was among his circle of friends/family.

Crépy-en Valois is a town of 15,090 people, They only surveyed 661 people and the survey was not a randomized one where they could extrapolate their sample to the whole population but a targeted survey of the students and their families.

Sorry but IMO you're taking the wrong message from the results of this study.
That is the thing with this, there is really no way to prove where anyone gets infected. Sure there would some obvious ones where 3 people in your immediate family has it, but who can definitively say where they contract any virus. That is where the whole liability argument falls apart for the schools. No one would be able to prove where someone caught an airborne virus.

Cincinnati Public just announced a blender option for next year. It's the most ridiculous and confusing option out there that no staff member or parent wanted, so of course they chose that one. It's going to be interesting to see if athletes show up for practice when they are not on campus that day, especially when the vast majority rise the METRO bus. Every person I know that works for or has kids in CPS are beyond pissed.

They have done what bureaucrats almost always do - taken the CYA path of least resistance. They never really considered the kids, the teachers or the parents. Are we really surprised at this?

They have done what bureaucrats almost always do - taken the CYA path of least resistance. They never really considered the kids, the teachers or the parents. Are we really surprised at this?
It was actually the cheapest of all the options considered.

Akron Public Schools plan for Fall has zero high school students attending in school classes. They ridiculously state that those high school students will continue "on line learning", whatever that is. Have friends who teach in APS and they report that as few as 25% of their students even bothered to log on to on line learning during the Spring. Kids knew that they weren't going to fail, so why bother. So I imagine these students will have a lot of free time on their hands in the Fall. Just what working parents need to hear. Countries all over Europe are already back to full time in class instruction. There is absolutely zero science to back up this decision, regarding the minuscule risk of infection for these students, or the chances of them spreading Covid to their class mates. If the student athletes aren't in school, how can they then be permitted to play any Fall sport when they also, according to APS are gathering in some potentially contagious activity such as football. I just don't see how APS could sanction football with this recently released policy. I'm just glad now my youngest just graduated from high school, rather than having to deal with this for the entire school year. I certainly imagine there will quickly come a point when the public wonders why to they need to financially support schools with like policies, when they literally are not providing the students with a complete learning and social experiences that high school should offer, not some lame online learning substitute. If the schools aren't providing that well rounded educational experience for the kids, why pay for it? I mean, anybody can research any basic high school curriculum on line for themselves rather than pay for the same sub par program offered by the schools. Think it's time for parents to wise up and expect more from our school administrators, while they venture off to work daily in the same kind of Covid environment the schools profess to be to dangerous to perform their job responsibilities. If these schools continue like policies, maybe they owe us a rebate from their current tax levy funding for not providing the services they have been paid for.

Last edited:
Akron Public Schools plan for Fall has zero high school students attending in school classes. They ridiculously state that those high school students will continue "on line learning", whatever that is. Have friends who teach in APS and they report that as few as 25% of their students even bothered to log on to on line learning during the Spring. Kids knew that they weren't going to fail, so why bother. So I imagine these students will have a lot of free time on their hands in the Fall. Just what working parents need to hear. Countries all over Europe are already back to full time in class instruction. There is absolutely zero science to back up this decision, regarding the minuscule risk of infection for these students, or the chances of them spreading Covid to their class mates. If the student athletes aren't in school, how can they then be permitted to play any Fall sport when they also, according to APS are gathering in some potentially contagious activity such as football. I just don't see how APS could sanction football with this recently released policy. I'm just glad now my youngest just graduated from high school, rather than having to deal with this for the entire school year. I certainly imagine there will quickly come a point when the public wonders why to they need to financially support schools with like policies, when they literally are not providing the students with a complete learning and social experiences that high school should offer, not some lame online learning substitute. If the schools aren't providing that well rounded educational experience for the kids, why pay for it? I mean, anybody can research any basic high school curriculum on line for themselves rather than pay for the same sub par program offered by the schools. Think it's time for parents to wise up and expect more from our school administrators, while they venture off to work daily in the same kind of Covid environment the schools profess to be to dangerous to perform their job responsibilities. If these schools continue like policies, maybe they owe us a rebate from their current tax levy funding for not providing the services they have been paid for.
I am truly saddened by this. What ever happened to the idea of "no child left behind"? People have honestly lost all sense of reason and common sense over this.

Can anyone confirm this? Completely believe this, but this would really be bad news.

Yes, I read the way it was going to be initiated. It's going to be confusing for everyone, the every other Wednesday is incredibly bizarre. Most schools are using Wednesdays as a cleaning day from what I have seen in early plans.

Its on their website and on FB page too. HS is online. Terrible.

A few questions:
- Does this affect any strong football programs?
- Are those schools currently conducting workouts?

This isn't good at all. Thought there was a little hope with Cincy PS at least planning on having kids.

So the real question is, what is DeWine or more so, what does his guidelines even do? Is anyone listening to our government or is straight what schools want to do? What a mess.

I am truly saddened by this. What ever happened to the idea of "no child left behind"? People have honestly lost all sense of reason and common sense over this.

One thing these actions GUARANTEE is that a lot of kids will be left behind. Our society will be dealing with the collateral damage from this for decades.

Shame on DeWine, shame on the school boards and shame on most of the public health departments in the USA. What is wrong with these people?

Numbers out today, cases about the same, new deaths highest in a month, hospitalizations it's looking like two months at it's highest, ICU worst. UGH.

Expect DeWine to drop restrictions on Thursday before the holiday weekend.

Numbers out today, cases about the same, new deaths highest in a month, hospitalizations it's looking like two months at it's highest, ICU worst. UGH.

Expect DeWine to drop restrictions on Thursday before the holiday weekend.

I was just at the Dashboard and deaths have been steady to dropping over the last couple of weeks. For perspective:

June 17
In Hospital = 541
In ICU = 215
On Ventilator = 148

June 30
In Hospital = 722
In ICU = 242
On Ventilator = 115

The only jump is in those hospitalized but even that # is misleading. First, hospitals are admitting more covid patients as the risk of overloading their hospitals recedes. This is a good business practice. And 2nd I believe that the hospital capaciy in Ohio is about 3400 so we're far from overloading the system.

I do know that if DeWine shuts things back down he better plan for a lot more health and social services spending over the next couple of years to account for all the collateral damage caused by the shutdown.

One thing these actions GUARANTEE is that a lot of kids will be left behind. Our society will be dealing with the collateral damage from this for decades.

Shame on DeWine, shame on the school boards and shame on most of the public health departments in the USA. What is wrong with these people?
I am completely dumbfounded. Like I have said, failing these kids, that's all it is.

I was just at the Dashboard and deaths have been steady to dropping over the last couple of weeks. For perspective:

June 17
In Hospital = 541
In ICU = 215
On Ventilator = 148

June 30
In Hospital = 722
In ICU = 242
On Ventilator = 115

The only jump is in those hospitalized but even that # is misleading. First, hospitals are admitting more covid patients as the risk of overloading their hospitals recedes. This is a good business practice. And 2nd I believe that the hospital capaciy in Ohio is about 3400 so we're far from overloading the system.

I do know that if DeWine shuts things back down he better plan for a lot more health and social services spending over the next couple of years to account for all the collateral damage caused by the shutdown.

Your statistics are even more misleading, you chose a two week mark at its lowest. Please post the difference from a week ago, also, look at the difference in cases from then (up 300%). Business practice?

I am mindblown at how dim some of you are. What Republican Governor (TX, FL, OH) would re-shut things down just to do it? Just to cripple their own economy, their selling point to why they are in office? Do you see how out of it that you all sound? They are shutting down because people are getting sick! More of them! Quit trying to find loopholes in a damn pandemic!

Your statistics are even more misleading, you chose a two week mark at its lowest. Please post the difference from a week ago, also, look at the difference in cases from then (up 300%). Business practice?

I am mindblown at how dim some of you are. What Republican Governor (TX, FL, OH) would re-shut things down just to do it? Just to cripple their own economy, their selling point to why they are in office? Do you see how out of it that you all sound? They are shutting down because people are getting sick! More of them! Quit trying to find loopholes in a damn pandemic!

21 day trend. What they are looking at in our government. It's really fairly flat. We have seen a slight spike the past week, but the sky isn't falling, there, Chicken Little.

As far as a "re-shutdown" in Ohio, it sounded to me like Dewine wanted to give us guidance on his next phase of opening from his presser yesterday. Further, he started with "outside visitations" at nursing homes, which is a very large step, considering they are Ohio's number 1 hot spot. Barring a bunch of people falling over dead between now and Thursday, I would say his speech trended towards opening Ohio even more. He just wasn't ready to do it over the 4th, which is fine by me. People will be going to barbecues and gathering enough how it is. And sports teams will be taking a break for the holiday.

I kinda got the opposite from his press conference. It appeared to be more of a warning that there would be addition measures put in place. I look for on-site alcohol consumption to be shut down as other states have down. And I didn't really see the nursing home announcement as anything more than political speak. If nursing homes are still hot beds...July 20 visitation ain't happening.

It's pretty disgraceful that Europe has band American citizens from entering they're continent. This has been a complete failure of government. I really thought we'd be able to start back with everything normal in the fall, but it's looking pretty bad as of right now. I can't imagine these kids being deprived of their season. It makes me ill and pissed. When we have all of these football states in a crisis of epic proportion, the 2020 season maybe at risk. I think the college's will direct the progress going further. If the osu's and clemson's have football then it will be hard for the high schools not to follow. The next 4 weeks will answer a lot of questions.

It wasn't my intention to mislead. I was in a hurry and I just gabbed the data from the first entry (June 17) and the last (today) on one of the Ohio Dashboard's graphs to show that over the last 2 weeks we haven't seen any big changes beyond cases & hospitalizations. CKnights has the better data using a 21 day average but again there isn't much to see.

If you want to get pissed at someone for misleading you take a look at the MSM and health departments fixation on case numbers to the exclusion of all other measurements.

I don't think cases mean much as they are heavily influenced by the amount of testing and who is being tested. I also think hospitalizations don't tell us much anymore as the admittance standards for covd patients has really loosened up. As long as the # of covid patients in the hospitals doesn't approach the hospitals capacity I wouldn't worry about it to much.

And for the record the main reason these states are shutting back down IMO is because the MSM is telling everyone that these governors are killing people and that their states will look like NY in a matter of weeks if they don't shut down.

Of course this is a big lie since at the height of the outbreak NY State saw more then 800 people die per day for 12 straight days. In the entire month of June so far the most people who have died in a single day in Florida was 70 (reported deaths so the actual # is probably less) and in Texas it was 46! You could multiply these numbers by 10 and they would still be a lot less then what NY saw. And Texas & Florida each have more people then NY State.

Laughing my *** off at Nursing Home political speech/good news. You tell me in the middle of July when a nice time to take someone outside at that age would be appropriate. Also will be one at a time and by appointment. What? Rolling them all outside and saying **** it at same time, “go see pee paw!”. That ain’t happening.

TSSAA doing that is a huge red flag. We’re doomed.

Correct me if I’m wrong, delaying is probably worse than anything.

I think the stupid Trumper's have forfeited this season. Looking through out the nation, no trump states have taken this disease serious. Now the stupid racist trump states are being hit hard. If the dumb SEC universities can't bring their students back on campus, there's no college football and I hope i'm wrong. If colleges don't, play high schools won't play. The next few weeks are going to be crucial. If these stupid racist states rate of transmission keep going up. This year is going to really suck!

I think the stupid Trumper's have forfeited this season. Looking through out the nation, no trump states have taken this disease serious. Now the stupid racist trump states are being hit hard. If the dumb SEC universities can't bring their students back on campus, there's no college football and I hope i'm wrong. If colleges don't, play high schools won't play. The next few weeks are going to be crucial. If these stupid racist states rate of transmission keep going up. This year is going to really suck!
Trump is living rent free in your head. Never heard of a stupid racist Trump state. You seem like you misplaced your tinfoil hat somewhere. Almost forgot the Dumb SEC universities are also bad bad bad.