Week 4: Elder vs St Edward

Great effort by the Panthers. Wish I could have watched. Got some text updates and was told it was a great atmosphere and respect all around. (So i am guessing they did not run into Omar, if he was allowed in.)

Both kickers made clutch FG's in closing minutes.

St. Edward defense and coaches have some game film to watch the next couple days.

If we could change one play. They are down to their backup Qb down 2 with no timeouts and two minutes to go. Our kicker is back from the soccer game and can kick the ball usually into the end zone. Make them go 80 yards instead of the 50 we gave them. .

Great effort by the Panthers. Wish I could have watched. Got some text updates and was told it was a great atmosphere and respect all around. (So i am guessing they did not run into Omar, if he was allowed in.)

Both kickers made clutch FG's in closing minutes.

St. Edward defense and coaches have some game film to watch the next couple days.

Elder is a very good team. You guys escaped with a good win.

After week 1, there were a lot of people on here saying they're staring down the barrel of a 5-5, maybe even a 4-6 season. Now don't get me wrong the schedule is an absolute bear, but the Panthers have found something offensively. Brass is getting more comfortable throwing the ball and spreading it around, the OL is finding a groove and starting to open up more holes in the run game. This team is and will be dangerous the rest of this season.

St X isn't beating the doors off people. Moeller is struggling albeit against some stiff competition themselves. Let's say Elder loses next week to Lou X, I honestly believe they can run the table the rest of the way after that. Hell I'm not even sure I want to chalk up next Friday as an auto L after what we saw today. It'll be tough for sure, riding down to Louisville and playing an extremely good team, plus they just had a very physical game today, but they should be feeling pretty confident heading into any game the rest of the way.

Also, and I hate to say this because I know it can and should be a game where the majority of the roster sees some PT, but Elder should call and cancel the game against Life Christian. Will net almost nothing Harbin wise. Without diving into the numbers, I would guess Elder would have a better final Harbin number with a bye instead of playing them.

Also, and I hate to say this because I know it can and should be a game where the majority of the roster sees some PT, but Elder should call and cancel the game against Life Christian. Will net almost nothing Harbin wise. Without diving into the numbers, I would guess Elder would have a better final Harbin number with a bye instead of playing them
Yeah. I don’t expect the game to be canceled since the OHSAA is weird about these things, but like when Elder played ISB or West High, it’d be better Harbin wise to not play the game.

Last edited:
pee boy banned or something.....? i was expecting to come on and read some of his golden rants about the game. lol

jtk
()

Incredible game. Extremely entertaining. Better team won. Kickoff coverage cost Elder the W. If you limit Ed's to the 30-35 yard line with under two minutes, Elder wins this game.

Props to Ed's for finding big-time players that made the necessary plays when it mattered. Years from now when Elder kids are watching football on Saturday's and Sunday's, they will remember giving these Ohio St, Michigan, and Notre Dame players all they could handle and regret they let this one get away. It may end up being Ed's closest game all year.

Neither team did much on defense to stop the other. Ed's only punted once and I think that was in the 4th quarter.

Let's hope both teams came out of the game healthy enough to keep their best available moving forward.

Incredible game. Extremely entertaining. Better team won. Kickoff coverage cost Elder the W. If you limit Ed's to the 30-35 yard line with under two minutes, Elder wins this game.

There was a missed tackle that would have put Ed's at the 35, but I don't know if it would have mattered. The only thing stopping St. Ed's in the 2nd half was themselves with penalties. Other than that, Ed's scored on every drive in 2nd half.

Props to Ed's for finding big-time players that made the necessary plays when it mattered. Years from now when Elder kids are watching football on Saturday's and Sunday's, they will remember giving these Ohio St, Michigan, and Notre Dame players all they could handle and regret they let this one get away. It may end up being Ed's closest game all year.

I think it remains to be seen just how good this St. Ed's team is. Their offense is definitely very good. Teams will have trouble stopping their run game. It looks like they might have lost their starting QB, but their backup played well getting them to the winning field goal.

I have seen much better St. Ed's defenses though. I could be wrong, but I think St. Ed's loses at least one game this season. They will walk out of R1 would easily though.

For Elder, I think they get some confidence from this game even in a loss. No one was giving them a chance. I think Elder wins out the rest of the way to finish 8-2 and their first outright GCL title in awhile.

Another big momentum swing in the game which I have yet to see mentioned was the Ed's onside kick.

After discussing for quite a long time, the official waived his flag back and forth signaling "no penalty" on the Ed's touchdown.

Right before Ed's kicks off, they walk off 15 yards against Elder and let Ed's kick from the 50 (or 45). No one really knows what it was for and what is going on. Elder is still arguing about the penalty and Ed's catches Elder sleeping with an onside kick. Can someone tell me if it got touched before 10 yards?

Props to Ed's for the quick thinking and shame on Elder for not being ready but I still have no idea why the official made the signal he did and what the flag was for.

Also, and I hate to say this because I know it can and should be a game where the majority of the roster sees some PT, but Elder should call and cancel the game against Life Christian. Will net almost nothing Harbin wise. Without diving into the numbers, I would guess Elder would have a better final Harbin number with a bye instead of playing them.
So over the years I have like to study and play with the Harbins. With that knowledge I have learned that Level 2 mean more than Level 1, Problem you can't get Level 2 without Level 1.

When I calculate my Harbins I use the final numbers. Joe Eitel adjust his numbers as we go along. His are more fair to look at week by week, while mine gives a minimum score.

With that said Elder currently sits at a 2.4. This is with 10 games and a Level 2 divisor of 92. The Level 2 divisor gets reduced if a team you play does not play 10 games BEFORE Ohio Week 10 or the OHSAA doesn't recognize a team you play. So you start with 100 and subtract 1 for each game not played. Neumann & Goretti only play 8 games before Week 10 so we are down 2. St Eds is playing Football North so we are down 1 more. Louisville St X plays a game after week 10 so down another. Life Christian has had some game canceled and play after week 10 so the reduce the number by 4. 2+1+1+4=8. 100-8=92. So Elder Harbins looks like this.

1694361371222.png

So if you remove Life Christian. That reduce our games to 9. So our L2 divisor goes from 100 to 90. We then need to remove the 4 other games besises Life Christian's non games. That gets us to 86. So when you change the numbers Elder Harbin goes from 2.4 to 2.6149. Now .2 Doesn't seem like much, but in 2017 Elder missed the plyaoffs by .0105 points.

1694361892861.png

I am not one to cancel games, but when this game was schedule the team we were playing was different. The old coach left and brought his players with him.

Another big momentum swing in the game which I have yet to see mentioned was the Ed's onside kick.

After discussing for quite a long time, the official waived his flag back and forth signaling "no penalty" on the Ed's touchdown.

Right before Ed's kicks off, they walk off 15 yards against Elder and let Ed's kick from the 50 (or 45). No one really knows what it was for and what is going on. Elder is still arguing about the penalty and Ed's catches Elder sleeping with an onside kick. Can someone tell me if it got touched before 10 yards?

Props to Ed's for the quick thinking and shame on Elder for not being ready but I still have no idea why the official made the signal he did and what the flag was for.
Wasn't at the game but someone mentioned it was pass interference on Elder and in HS you're allowed to take that penalty on the kickoff.

Elder was penalized for defensive pass interference on the touchdown reception. (This is the penalty that was assessed on the kickoff.)
An official threw a flag that was waived off on the PAT kick.

Neither team did much on defense to stop the other. Ed's only punted once and I think that was in the 4th quarter.

Let's hope both teams came out of the game healthy enough to keep their best available moving forward.

I'm not sure the Ed's qb came out very healthy after seeing him after the game. Hope he's going to be ok.

I'm not sure the Ed's qb came out very healthy after seeing him after the game. Hope he's going to be ok.
I was very pessimistic that we would lose Brass because of this game and ironically they lose their best player. I’ve never seen a high school quarterback run the read option better.

'there are no dumb questions" (except this one)............
Why do H.S. Football Teams (especially struggling to find opponents/GCL ) not have home AND way games each season (like Basketball)?
is there a rule against it? Harbin ratings? would probably increase revenue ? insights.............Thanks

Why do H.S. Football Teams (especially struggling to find opponents/GCL ) not have home AND way games each season (like Basketball)?
is there a rule against it? Harbin ratings? would probably increase revenue ? insights.............Thanks
The home/away games are usually league games.

You answered part of it, would limit Harbin Points, but also those sports like basketball and baseball play many more regular season games that football. Feel like playing any of the GCLS schools twice in the regular season would really take the juice off the rivalry aspect of it.

You answered part of it, would limit Harbin Points, but also those sports like basketball and baseball play many more regular season games that football. Feel like playing any of the GCLS schools twice in the regular season would really take the juice off the rivalry aspect of it.
Agree. And add the possibility of playing a 3rd time in the playoffs. No thanks.

Harbin wise it is not a good idea to play a team twice. If you go 1-1 you start getting level 2 points off your own loses. If you go 2-0 Two of your teams can only go 8-2. Which will lower your Level 2 potential.

If you play twice it does lower the importance of each game. The GCL has 4 teams, so in any year you have 6 games. Moeller vs Elder, Moeller vs X, Moeller vs LaSalle, X vs Elder, X vs LaSalle and LaSalle vs Elder. Now compare that to Cleveland where you have Igntius vs Eds and then Louisville where you have X vs Trinity. The Cleveland and Louisville games are bigger than any GCL game because it is just 1 game per city.

Thanks for the flashback. Both did count in the Harbins, thus no postseason for Moeller. 😩

Back then, they were taking top 4 only in harbins. A quick internet search I saw had Moeller at 6-4 that season with 2 losses to Elder, 1 to Erie Prep, and in week 10 to Princeton. Moeller's playoff game that season was essentially week 10 vs. an undefeated Princeton team. A win I can only guess would have put Moeller in top 4 getting massive harbin points from beating an undefeated Princeton team. Moeller 1991 had a very good win over Massillon Washington that year who went on to lose to St. Ignatius 14-13 in the state semifinals. St. Ignatius then beat Centerville 24-21 in the state finals.

Elder's undefeated team unfortunately lost to Centerville 26-17 in round 1. Elder definitely had the team to win it all that year, but a pesky Centerville team was possibly not a great matchup for that Elder team. Elder would have had to get by Princeton still though.