UC Bearcats

I think the door is open for UC if they win out and ND doesn’t lose another game.

- The ACC isn’t getting a team in this year.

- The PAC 12 needs Oregon to win out. No other team has a shot.

- The Big XII looks suspect. Oklahoma has not been all that impressive and the only other unbeaten is OK State. Texas’ only shot is to run the table.

If I had to guess, it’ll be:
1. Bama
2. Big Ten Champ
3. UC
4. Georgia

I think the door is open for UC if they win out and ND doesn’t lose another game.

- The ACC isn’t getting a team in this year.

- The PAC 12 needs Oregon to win out. No other team has a shot.

- The Big XII looks suspect. Oklahoma has not been all that impressive and the only other unbeaten is OK State. Texas’ only shot is to run the table.

If I had to guess, it’ll be:
1. Bama
2. Big Ten Champ
3. UC
4. Georgia
I agree with your 4 teams, but, if those are the 4, there's no way the "committee" puts a 1 loss (to Alabama, I'm guessing) Georgia below UC even if UC's undefeated. I tend to think that if Bama and Georgia meet in the SEC championship, winner will be the 1 seed and the loser the 2 seed. They're not gonna let Bama and Georgia play each other in a semi-final.

UC could gain more momentum as well by beating SMU as long as SMU keeps winning and keeps moving up in the polls until then. Really, just gotta hope that all of UC's opponents keep winning before and after facing UC.

I think the debate will be if there are a group of 1 loss power 5 teams that all finish strong. If Oregon, Oklahoma, and B1G all have a 1 loss team and UGA and 'Bama meet undefeated in the SEC title game then it will become a beauty contest come title game time ala tOSU in 2014 when they ran up the score on Wiscy in the B1G title game.

NCAA football, the only team sport where style counts!

Unfortunately for UC they will not make the playoffs unless teams stumble.

They better hope the Big Ten cannibalizes themselves and there is an absolute blowout in the Georgia/Alabama game that matters.

The worst thing to happen to UC is if they win out but there is a one loss Alabama, a one loss Georgia, a one loss PAC 12 champion Oregon, and Oklahoma. The committee will not put then in the playoffs.

December 31 Orange Bowl
#1 Georgia
v.
#4 Ohio State
December 31 Cotton Bowl @ Jerry world
#2 Cincinnati
v.
#3 Oklahoma
January 10 National Championship @ Indianapolis
#1 Georgia
v.
#2 Cincinnati
Them Notre Dame folks thought we took over their stadium a couple of weeks ago, wait til Bearcat fans descend on Indy for the National Championship.

Last edited:
Oklahoma beat Tulane by 5. Nebraska by 7. West Virginia by 3. Kansas State by 6.

So would you say Oklahoma is not in the discussion?
I understand what your saying but this was1-6 (now) Navy. UC doesn’t have any room to play them close. The voters are just waiting for any reason to drop them out of the top 4. Oklahoma has a pedigree. It is what it is. Depending on what other Big 5 teams do these close calls may very well put Oklahoma out of the discussion. Oklahoma has a bigger cushion then UC. I’ll guess the Bearcats fall to 4 or 5.

Alabama and tOSU will both jump both UC and Oklahoma this week. And they should. Even though they both have a loss, they are better and definitely two of the top four teams in the country. UC should be number four ahead of Oklahoma. Other than those two teams, I don't see any other teams that UC can't beat. Michigan looks pretty tough, but they struggled with teams like Rutgers and Nebraska. That should keep them out of the top four. Plus, I don't think their QB is all that great. He is better than they have had, but not a dominant player. Michigan's defense is winning them games.

Ohio State was -21 at Indiana and slaughtered them. Cincy was -3.5 and scuffled with them. Big gap between those teams in Vegas’s mind.

Why would winning out in the American be difficult? Who’s going to make them sweat? SMU? Lolz

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

The B10, that loses to MAC schools is much better? A conference grind is tough at the top G5 as it is most anywhere. No, they don't get the raw talent of the top P5's but the coaching proves its worth by how much the top schools recruit them. Your team is not a one-off OOC. You are studied, teams recruit the pieces to try and beat you. It's a grind. A low team can beat you with the luck of match-ups and by out-planning and out-coaching. This is why weak Purdues beat Ohio Sts and Iowas. No different any other conference. It is hard to go undefeated.

Cinci was fortunate to get P5's on their schedule. The P5's don't want to risk the American teams, when they can risk to lower conference teams. If they won't put the American on their schedules then as far as my opinion, they forfeit a spot in the play-offs to an undefeated team from the conference.

Last edited:
I understand what your saying but this was1-6 (now) Navy. UC doesn’t have any room to play them close. The voters are just waiting for any reason to drop them out of the top 4. Oklahoma has a pedigree. It is what it is. Depending on what other Big 5 teams do these close calls may very well put Oklahoma out of the discussion. Oklahoma has a bigger cushion then UC. I’ll guess the Bearcats fall to 4 or 5.
Tulane is 1-6. Nebraska is 3-5, WVU is 3-4. KSU is 4-3 and it took a second offensive meltdown by TTU to get that winning record. Just an FYI.

It’s unfortunate for the G5 teams. They don’t get the benefit of the doubt when they play a bad game but still win. Hopefully this doesn’t hurt UC too bad. IMO, they are still playoff worthy until they lose.

TCU is the test case that proves the majority correct. They were flying high as a mid-major but very quickly sunk to mediocrity and current irrelevance once they joined the Big 12. What’d they have, one last gasp of a good year before the bottom fell out?

Im not sure what this rambling has to do with my post, but thanks for sharing your opinion.

IMO this is the most wide open the playoff picture has been in years. We really could have used an 8 or 12 team field.

Beating Navy by a TD in a game that the Bearcats led by 17 going into the 4h quarter should not impact their ranking. You can't blow every team out, just ask Oklahoma. Now if UC only beats Tulane by a TD then you start to get a problem with perception.

As an aside with ND winning convincingly last night and likley to be ranked #11, of the teams behind UC only Bama has a better quality win (Mississippi) then UC has had based on where those teams are TODAY.

The other bad news for UC long-term is that the New Big XII is going to have a similar national perception as the American currently has. They’ll be stepping up big-time in basketball, but no such much in football:

Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
West Virginia
Baylor
Texas Tech
TCU
Oklahoma State
Houston
BYU
UCF
Cincinnati

Maybe you’ve got 4 or 5 fringe top 25 programs in there, which in itself makes it better than the American, but there is no power and that is still going to be a highly disrespected conference marked by one-and-done playoff exits once the field inevitably expands to 8 or 12. And if it stays at four, the New Big XII may as well be the Sun Belt as far as playoff chances.

What is also true, and you can trust me.....You take Ohio State out of the BIG10, and you've got a bunch of Clydesdales named Fred. Glass houses homey...

UC is in good shape IMO as long as they win the rest of their games, preferably with some style against some of the under .500 opponents they have coming up.

SMU appears to have a tougher schedule the rest of the way, but could get to that matchup undefeated which would be a boost. Notre Dame even with incompetent QB play should win out and at worst lose one more game.