UC Bearcats

The issue is that getting $20-25 million a year will be a huge step down for the schools that are already in the Big XII currently getting $37 million a year, and they're going to have to find ways to cut budget.

This will be a big win for UC, Houston, and UCF, but a big loss for the current members. Trying to keep pace in the financial war in football is going to be untenable for them, and I'd expect the incoming three to vault to the top of the league quickly as their resources multiply while everyone else is contracting.

Look for current Big 12 members to start cutting Olympic sports. On the flip side football and basketball will probably get increased budgets because there will be a greater emphasis in selling seats for the revenue sports and better players will be needed to field better teams. And that means the new schools will not use those $s for the overall budget but to beef up their revenue sports too to keep up with the arms race. During Clemson's football run their over all athletic budget went up but they actually cut sports. Sounds kind of crazy to me that Clemson's feels that a $55 million football facility that features mini golf, bowling, and a slide is more important than the swimming and diving team.

maxresdefault.jpg

But will the Big 12 still b considered a power 5 conference without a marque team like OU or Texas? Texas and OU would probably still lose a game or two in the new Big 12, but there is not one of the powerhouse teams in the conference. I think they should be still Power 5 with who is left, but I don't think the money brokers will think so. The new Big 12 schools do not have the name recognition and media support to have that support.

But will the Big 12 still b considered a power 5 conference without a marque team like OU or Texas? Texas and OU would probably still lose a game or two in the new Big 12, but there is not one of the powerhouse teams in the conference. I think they should be still Power 5 with who is left, but I don't think the money brokers will think so. The new Big 12 schools do not have the name recognition and media support to have that support.
Ah yes, Texas, the perennial powerhouse who has not won a Big 12 title since 2009, and is currently getting destroyed by an Arkansas team who has won 5 games combined over the past two seasons.

As a UC alum I am elated to join the Big 12, and especially to have WVU back as a local rival. This conference is probably still as good or better than the Pac12 most years. Naysayers can go to hell

Ah yes, Texas, the perennial powerhouse who has not won a Big 12 title since 2009, and is currently getting destroyed by an Arkansas team who has won 5 games combined over the past two seasons.
It doesn't matter. They are considered a big program because of what they've done in the past and the potential they have to be great because of money, alumni support, and name recognition. I think Cinnci would beat them right now, but if they did and then lost a league game, UC would not make it into the playoffs. A one loss UT team would always make it. I think if UC beats Indiana and ND, lose a game in the AAC, and then win the championship, they should be able to get in the top 4. The powers that be would never allow that. They would put ND into the playoffs before UC if ND only lost to UC. I just hope the new Big 12 keeps the power 5 rating.

................................... I just hope the new Big 12 keeps the power 5 rating.
The conferences that comprise the Power Five are designated by the NCAA, individually by name, as "autonomy conferences" under Section 5.3.2.1 of the NCAA Constitution

5.3.2.1.1 Authority to Adopt or Amend Legislation. The Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten Conference, Big 12 Conference, Pac-12 Conference and Southeastern Conference and their member institutions shall have the authority to adopt or amend legislation that is identified as an area of autonomy."

Competitors think competitively, or what their wives tell them to do. Money vs. prestige? LA definitely not for everyone even with that mansion on the hill.

USC is a tough gig in today's NCAA football landscape. There is a reason why all the best recruits in Cali are now going to 'Bama, Clemson, tOSU, and Oklahoma and it's not the cities these schools are located in. Unless USC wants to get into the NCAA arms race, which the admin has basically said no, they will continue to be behind these schools. A recruit visits Tuscaloosa and while not blown away by southern charm or cosmopolitan feel they are blown away by facilities, game day atmosphere, and NFL vibe as to how the program is run. USC has none of that and it doesn't look like they want it either. Until they fix that or the NCAA puts a cap on $s spent by a program they will continue to be a has been program.

I se Fickel sticking around for now...

Luke Fickell​

Fickell is another smaller-school coach who will be getting yearly offers from larger programs around the country. USC would be the biggest so far. He's gone 37-14 in five seasons with the Bearcats and won two of three bowl games. He's a good coach and a good recruiter. It may not be the highest-profile name USC can land, and name recognition matters more for a program like USC than it does for other schools, but from Fickell's body of work at Cincy it would be a smart hire. Fickell also has a big advantage here in that USC Athletic Director Mike Bohn was the one who hired Fickell at Cincinnati in the first place and saw the near-instant success the coach brought with him.

LA Times:

There are obvious deep connections between Fickell and USC, as Bohn hired Fickell to be the Bearcats’ head coach when he was the athletic director at Cincinnati. Bohn saw firsthand how Fickell built the Bearcats into an undefeated playoff contender out of the Group of Five last season. Fickell is an Ohio guy and now has the Bearcats on the verge of joining the Big 12, so it’s possible he would not risk a cushy situation to come across the country to Los Angeles.

I do give Franklin credit for bringing Penn State back from the dead after the Sandusky scandal. No reason he couldn’t do it again at USC