The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I think the season Billy was a free agent and no one signed him said it all. Teams in 2020 don't value defense and the stolen base. It's metrics and shifts. You can compensated for a weaker defense today with the shift.
Yeah, everyone tried to tell you no one in baseball valued him. ??‍♂️

Yeah, everyone tried to tell you no one in baseball valued him. ??‍♂️
The Reds were rebuilding and Billy fit for us during that time. Not the first, won't be the last. He certainly was one of the most exciting players in baseball the past decade.

The Reds were rebuilding and Billy fit for us during that time. Not the first, won't be the last. He certainly was one of the most exciting players in baseball the past decade.
He wasnt exciting bc he struck out so much. Also we were in a rebuild and at the time Billy would have brought in a decent haul before he was exposed. The reds had limited assets then and trading Billy would have hopefully added a player or two who would be more in the long term plans than a guy who cant get on base and never was even an average player. Big missed opportunity

i mean baseball people really value what billy brings to the table— instant offense. Lol.

Again, since offense = runs, the only play that creates offense all by itself is the homerun. Stolen bases SOMETIMES creates a run; homeruns ALWAYS create runs.

A homerun is worth 1.5 runs on average. A stolen base leads to a run much less than 50% of the time.
Just curious where the 1.5 runs per HR came from.

Just curious where the 1.5 runs per HR came from.
1592153304397.png

Lol. Imagine thinking Billy was one of the most exciting players in baseball in the past decade.

I think the REDS are in pretty good shape for a sprint to the finish line. I see a playoff spot and a deep run in the tourney.

I think the DH helps the Reds. I don't want to make any predictions because one bad week could essentially ruin your team. Also not sure how COVID will affect lineups. We know guys are going to test positive. What's the plan then?

The Reds have an incredibly high ceiling. We have 2 #1 starters in Gray and Castillo, another potenial #1 in Bauer. Desclafani is coming off his best year and Wade Miley is a good, solid #4 or #5.

Although I don't like the DH, I do think the Reds are equipped to utilize the DH better than ever. You essentially can rotate the outfielders, in Winker, Senzel, Castanos and Akiyama and DH a different person daily if you want.

lol....but how could he steal 8 bases a game and wipe out at least 5 runs for the opponent?

jtk
()

Prediction:
Brewers. 36-24
Reds 34-26
Cards 30-30
Cubs 28-32
Pirates 25-35

Dodgers 45-15

Nationals 39-21

I'm interested in the schedule. I'm assuming they'll play each divisional team 10 times. Then each AL Central teams 4 times? Just for fun anyone want to try and rank the NL/AL East, NL/AL Central and AL/NL East? I like the Reds playing 1/3 of their schedule against the AL Central much more than their chances had they played say the AL East when all those teams are clicking.

I'm interested in the schedule. I'm assuming they'll play each divisional team 10 times. Then each AL Central teams 4 times? Just for fun anyone want to try and rank the NL/AL East, NL/AL Central and AL/NL East? I like the Reds playing 1/3 of their schedule against the AL Central much more than their chances had they played say the AL East when all those teams are clicking.
You are correct about the schedule
Probably be something like a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 series format against each divisional team, then one 4 game series against each IL opponent to reduce travel as much as possible. They could also do two five game series vs each divisional opponent but that would just be weird

I wonder if there's ever been a 5 game series sweep? I think as we learn more there will be some decent storylines to follow. Last I heard you could get 8-1 odds on a batter hitting .400. Basically 5 weeks till the Trade Deadline. Dang, just realized we probably aren't going to have any sweet grabs by fans on foul balls but whatever.

It's going to be different, it's going to be odd, I just hope it happens.

I wonder if there's ever been a 5 game series sweep? I think as we learn more there will be some decent storylines to follow. Last I heard you could get 8-1 odds on a batter hitting .400. Basically 5 weeks till the Trade Deadline. Dang, just realized we probably aren't going to have any sweet grabs by fans on foul balls but whatever.

It's going to be different, it's going to be odd, I just hope it happens.
The only five game regular season series I can remember was from 2014; it was originally a four gamer vs the Cubs but another game was added because of a previous rainout. Reds won the first four games but lost the fifth.

MLB said that the away team will not be able to bring a tv crew on the road, but radio announcers will be allowed to travel with the team and broadcast from the stadium like normal. So I'm hoping FS Ohio just plays the radio broadcast over television instead of having Chris and Thom announce the game from a studio somewhere. Anyone who's watched the KBO games can see that the remote broadcasts are crap. It's hard to call a baseball game off of a tv.

I think the AL Central is the weakest AL division. I agree we are happy to avoid the AL East. AL West is probably just a touch above the Central, IMO. Also nice to avoid the Dodgers.

The only five game regular season series I can remember was from 2014; it was originally a four gamer vs the Cubs but another game was added because of a previous rainout. Reds won the first four games but lost the fifth.

MLB said that the away team will not be able to bring a tv crew on the road, but radio announcers will be allowed to travel with the team and broadcast from the stadium like normal. So I'm hoping FS Ohio just plays the radio broadcast over television instead of having Chris and Thom announce the game from a studio somewhere. Anyone who's watched the KBO games can see that the remote broadcasts are crap. It's hard to call a baseball game off of a tv.
I agree, show the home team's TV feed with our radio team - much better. Second choice is just watch the other team's TV broadcast. I'd be OK with that, it can be interesting to hear the other teams' perspective on our guys. Except for the dipsh*ts that announce for Pittsburgh.

Prediction:
Brewers. 36-24
Reds 34-26
Cards 30-30
Cubs 28-32
Pirates 25-35

Dodgers 45-15

Nationals 39-21

This is the first prediction I have seen that did not have the Dodgers going at least 58-2. Just kidding of course. But they are the epitome of an overwhelming favorite.

But I can't see the Brewers winning the Central. 3rd or maybe even 4th in my book. Cards or Reds seem to be the best rosters IMO.

It’s a 60 game season almost anything can happen. Plenty of teams have been leading their division over the years after 60 games and never smelled the POs after 162. I think any team in the Central could win sans the Pirates and I’m a Buc fan.