St Ignatius Football 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's continually tried to overinflate Ignatius ever since they had his Springfield team on the ropes. I do think this Ignatius team deserves a little more credit than what they are getting from their fans, but Riverboy's agenda is quite clear.
Agenda?? What might that be? I don't have any hidden insidious Agenda. I agree with you. Ignatius is better than what bloggers here give them credit for. That's all.

Cats' next opponent River Rouge has only had 1 competitive game this season (out of 3) - they lost to Warren (MI) De La Salle 29-38

River Rouge is ranked #3 in Michigan's Division 3
De La Salle is ranked #1 in Michigan's Division 2

Last edited:
You seem to be unaware that with longstanding big rivalry games, you throw the stats and record books out the window. Sorry to disappoint you.
Yep, this guy who has played in rivalry games is unaware. That is one take. The other take is I strongly suspect the differing talent levels will not lie in that game. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the game is an upset. But, we will see

Agenda?? What might that be? I don't have any hidden insidious Agenda. I agree with you. Ignatius is better than what bloggers here give them credit for. That's all.
What has told us they are better than what those of us who are actually aligned with the school say? Beating a euclid team that could go winless? Beating a team that traveled from MD? Beating a Hoban team that is down compared to past years and has coaches that do it no favors in play calling? Playing close games, and losing, to Mentor and Springfield who are down or nor to the same level as years past?

Yep, this guy who has played in rivalry games is unaware. That is one take. The other take is I strongly suspect the differing talent levels will not lie in that game. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the game is an upset. But, we will see
Stranger things have happened. Remember how in the 90s, average Michigan teams had Ohio State's number when OSU was undefeated going into that game.

What has told us they are better than what those of us who are actually aligned with the school say? Beating a euclid team that could go winless? Beating a team that traveled from MD? Beating a Hoban team that is down compared to past years and has coaches that do it no favors in play calling? Playing close games, and losing, to Mentor and Springfield who are down or nor to the same level as years past?
I don't know or understand why you want to bring your own team down. I understand they may not live up to the past teams of the past 30 years. But that doesn't mean they're a bad team. They are very close to being undefeated. Both losses occurred in the final minutes and were to highly regarded state ranked teams on the road who went to State the past 2 years. But for a late INT and a late punt return, your team would be undefeated, possibly rated as high as #2 in the State polls behind St X and probably would the top playoff seed in current computer rankings. They're better than what people here are saying. And, I think the ending of the Hoban game may show their luck is changing. Try to look at the glass as high full.

I don't know or understand why you want to bring your own team down. I understand they may not live up to the past teams of the past 30 years. But that doesn't mean they're a bad team. They are very close to being undefeated. Both losses occurred in the final minutes and were to highly regarded state ranked teams on the road who went to State the past 2 years. But for a late INT and a late punt return, your team would be undefeated, possibly rated as high as #2 in the State polls behind St X and probably would the top playoff seed in current computer rankings. They're better than what people here are saying. And, I think the ending of the Hoban game may show their luck is changing. Try to look at the glass as high full.
They are a mediocre team by my standards, which I will admit are very high. But you wouldn’t understand unless you’ve been a part of the rich winning football tradition at the school in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. This program was once THE gold standard of excellence for high school football in the state of Ohio. Many alumni of the football program are very disappointed and upset at how this program has been declining and how they are getting absolutely curb stomped every year it seems by rivals Mentor, St. X, and St. Ed, but particularly St. Ed and Mentor sting more. A win over a down Hoban team is better than a loss, but it doesn’t change anything. Hoban is way down from last year. Most of us know we are probably going to see the same problems over and over again in these upcoming games… The offense will struggle once again to put up points. Seriously, if you think I’m exaggerating I will enlighten you since you’re new to the thread. They have not scored a touchdown on St. Ed since 2018. 3 points have been scored over the last two games in 2019 and 2020. I will not be surprised if they don’t put the ball in the end zone again this year. The program has not defeated Ed’s and St. X in 3 years and they have not beaten Mentor in 4 years. It’s been brutal to watch.

They are a mediocre team by my standards, which I will admit are very high. But you wouldn’t understand unless you’ve been a part of the rich winning football tradition at the school in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. This program was once THE gold standard of excellence for high school football in the state of Ohio. Many alumni of the football program are very disappointed and upset at how this program has been declining and how they are getting absolutely curb stomped every year it seems by rivals Mentor, St. X, and St. Ed, but particularly St. Ed and Mentor sting more. A win over a down Hoban team is better than a loss, but it doesn’t change anything. Hoban is way down from last year. Most of us know we are probably going to see the same problems over and over again in these upcoming games… The offense will struggle once again to put up points. Seriously, if you think I’m exaggerating I will enlighten you since you’re new to the thread. They have not scored a touchdown on St. Ed since 2018. 3 points have been scored over the last two games in 2019 and 2020. I will not be surprised if they don’t put the ball in the end zone again this year. The program has not defeated Ed’s and St. X in 3 years and they have not beaten Mentor in 4 years. It’s been brutal to watch.
Youre right that I don't know what it's like to be part of 30+ year tradition like what Ignatius has. All I can say is I thought this year's team seemed pretty good against SHS. It was very similar to the last 2 state semis we lost to Elder and to St X which were pretty close games where we had the ball last and were on a final drive to try to win but ran out of time. As I said above, this year's Ignatius team is just 2 plays away from being unbeaten and with 2 road wins over teams that were rated top 5 in the state at the time. I would encourage everyone to just look at this year's team by themselves and not compare them to the past. They seem like they're on an upswing lately. So, send them some positive energy and vibes.

Youre right that I don't know what it's like to be part of 30+ year tradition like what Ignatius has. All I can say is I thought this year's team seemed pretty good against SHS. It was very similar to the last 2 state semis we lost to Elder and to St X which were pretty close games where we had the ball last and were on a final drive to try to win but ran out of time. As I said above, this year's Ignatius team is just 2 plays away from being unbeaten and with 2 road wins over teams that were rated top 5 in the state at the time. I would encourage everyone to just look at this year's team by themselves and not compare them to the past. They seem like they're on an upswing lately. So, send them some positive energy and vibes.
Don’t think getting the ball with enough time in the game to run 1 play from your own 30 counts as “on a game winning drive and ran out of time”

I appreciate the positive energy. The problem is you cannot simply look at this team where they are now without also looking at where their rivals are… which is why I am disappointed where the program is at this moment. Improvement means nothing when you lose all three rivalry games, and you are bounced from the playoffs early… or don’t even make the playoffs at all.

I appreciate the positive energy. The problem is you cannot simply look at this team where they are now without also looking at where their rivals are… which is why I am disappointed where the program is at this moment. Improvement means nothing when you lose all three rivalry games, and you are bounced from the playoffs early… or don’t even make the playoffs at all.
But remember, the pressure is all on St X and St Eds. I just have a gut feeling Ignatius will pull off a shocker and be a tough out in the playoffs. SHS is a veteran team that returned everyone from the last 2 state semifinal squads. Their offense and defense are anchored by 1st team all state players. Ignatius played them very tough and their defense played well enough to win. Don't forget that.

You are overrating both of those games. Further, that would not have made them #2 in the polls. You can accuse me of whatever you desire, but spare me. You are just trying to overinflate your week 1 win. Isn't there a Springfield thread somewhere for you to discuss your team? You have no dog in this fight in this thread

Those 2 losses did not hinge and turn on 2 plays. Just stop

But remember, the pressure is all on St X and St Eds. I just have a gut feeling Ignatius will pull off a shocker and be a tough out in the playoffs. SHS is a veteran team that returned everyone from the last 2 state semifinal squads. Their offense and defense are anchored by 1st team all state players. Ignatius played them very tough and their defense played well enough to win. Don't forget that.
Also, what if I told you I wasn't impressed with Springfield? Would that change your assessment of a loss in that game? No, I wasn't impressed at all and I have seen bunches and bunches of top tier teams since the 80s

Also, what if I told you I wasn't impressed with Springfield? Would that change your assessment of a loss in that game? No, I wasn't impressed at all and I have seen bunches and bunches of top tier teams since the 80s
Sounds like you're still stinging and burnt to a crisp from SHS's win.

You are overrating both of those games. Further, that would not have made them #2 in the polls. You can accuse me of whatever you desire, but spare me. You are just trying to overinflate your week 1 win. Isn't there a Springfield thread somewhere for you to discuss your team? You have no dog in this fight in this thread
Actually, if you would stay out of it, I'm having a very nice discussion here with other Ignatius fans.

Actually, if you would stay out of it, I'm having a very nice discussion here with other Ignatius fans.
Cmon Springfield. You are Gonzaga. You play in the weakest region and you will never beat the powerhouses of Region 4, much less Region 1. If you couldn't beat X last year when they were practically handing it to you, you will never get to the State Championship. Enjoy your 3rd trip to the Final 4. See you in the next decade or so.

Some observations from the clips you kindly supplied.

1. Make sure all kicks go into the end zone.
2. It appears that River Rouge does not have a place kicker.
3. Cats secondary should be prepared for long bombs (which they give up on a regular basis).
4. Lenahan might rush for 200 yards on Saturday.

Cmon Springfield. You are Gonzaga. You play in the weakest region and you will never beat the powerhouses of Region 4, much less Region 1. If you couldn't beat X last year when they were practically handing it to you, you will never get to the State Championship. Enjoy your 3rd trip to the Final 4. See you in the next decade or so.
Fyi, Gonzaga won the national semifinal and was in the national championship game

Some observations from the clips you kindly supplied.

1. Make sure all kicks go into the end zone.
2. It appears that River Rouge does not have a place kicker.
3. Cats secondary should be prepared for long bombs (which they give up on a regular basis).
4. Lenahan might rush for 200 yards on Saturday.

I agree about the secondary. River Rouge looks very fast. Huge up front, reminiscent of old Glenville, but with a passing attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.