Region 28 Playoffs

Last year how many posters expected Ansonia to come with in 4pts. of New Bremen in the playoffs or Tri Village def. New Bremen 2 years ago I know I didn't. Is Ansonia as good as last year I have no idea but to have St. Henry and New Bremen ranked ahead of Ansonia is very ? as neither of these 2 teams are close to that New Bremen team of last year or the year before.
Calpreps' projected last year: New Bremen (OH) 26 Ansonia (OH) 22 [projection and percent chances to win: New Bremen (OH) 31 (74%) Ansonia (OH) 21 (26%)]

Calpreps' projection for a possible St Henry and Ansonia matchup: [2023] St. Henry (OH) 22 (57%), [2023] Ansonia (OH) 20 (43%)

Last year how many posters expected Ansonia to come with in 4pts. of New Bremen in the playoffs or Tri Village def. New Bremen 2 years ago I know I didn't. Is Ansonia as good as last year I have no idea but to have St. Henry and New Bremen ranked ahead of Ansonia is very ? as neither of these 2 teams are close to that New Bremen team of last year or the year before.
Using that logic, the same New Bremen team lost to Marion by 22 and the same Tri-Village team lost the next week to St Hank 34-0. I do not think it’s unfair or unrealistic to think Marion beats Ansonia by 30-40 points if they play. But Marion still has to get by Minster (assuming they beat Bremen) and Ansonia still has a couple tough games ahead of them.

In my opinion Marion and Minster are the class of this region and beat every other team by at least 20, probably more on most nights. Ansonia, New Bremen, St Henry and Ft Loramie (maybe throw Mechanicsburg and Ceaderville in there?) are all pretty even and any of them could beat the other on any given night, and in some case maybe badly. It’s a shame Marion v Minster won’t be for the regional title, because it could be a really good game, that being said I could see New Bremen giving Minster all they can handle this week. Rivalry games in the playoffs are always fun.

For what it’s worth. V Tigers JVs lost 2 games on the year (Marion Local and Coldwater) so they were a solid squad. They beat Ansonia's JV 21-7.

I think this is one of the toughest regions in SW Ohio to predict when looking at the region past Round 1. Just for fun:

Round 1:
#16 Lewisburg Tri-Country North (4-6) at #1 Maria Stein Marion Local (10-0)
#15 Lockland (4-5) at #2 Ansonia (10-0)
#14 St. Henry (3-7)
at #3 DeGraff Riverside (9-1)
#13 New Bremen (4-6) at #4 Cincinnati College Prep (7-2)
#12 Bradford (4-4) at #5 Minster (8-2)
#11 Fort Loramie (5-5)
at #6 South Charleston Southeastern (7-3)
#10 Mechanicsburg (6-4) at #7 St. Bernard-Elmwood Place (7-2)
#9 Sidney Lehman Catholic (7-3) at #8 Cedarville (7-3)

Round 2:
#1 Marion Local
vs. #8 Cedarville
#2 Ansonia vs. #10 Mechanicsburg
#14 St. Henry vs. #11 Fort Loramie
#13 New Bremen vs. #5 Minster

Regional Semi-Finals:
#1 Marion Local vs.
#5 Minster
#2 Ansonia vs. #11 Fort Loramie

Regional Final:
#1 Marion Local
vs. #2 Ansonia

I think Marion Local is the heavy favorite to win the region. Beyond that, there's a lot up for grabs. I see more seed upsets in this region than most due to the wealth of MAC teams, a stronger Independent in Fort Loramie, and perennial playoff team Mechanicsburg. I could see Ansonia, Fort Loramie, Mechanicsburg, and even St. Henry/Riverside moving all the way to the finals to face Marion Local. I'm actually really intrigued by a potential Regional Semi-Final of Marion Local vs. Minster. Minster is probably the most equipped team to challenge Marion Local. Should be exciting all around!
Perfect through Round 1. Not a lot of surprises despite the seed upsets. In Round 2, we'll have 3 really competitive matchups in Ansonia/Mechanicsburg, St. Henry/Fort Loramie, and New Bremen/Minster.

Using that logic, the same New Bremen team lost to Marion by 22 and the same Tri-Village team lost the next week to St Hank 34-0. I do not think it’s unfair or unrealistic to think Marion beats Ansonia by 30-40 points if they play. But Marion still has to get by Minster (assuming they beat Bremen) and Ansonia still has a couple tough games ahead of them.
No what I am posting is I don't know how anyone can have SH or NB favored over Ansonia based on this year's results considering the top 2 WOAC schools the last 2 years have competed very well with 2 good New Bremen squads. It is not unrealistic to think if ML and Ansonia play that the game would be closer than 30 pts.

No what I am posting is I don't know how anyone can have SH or NB favored over Ansonia based on this year's results considering the top 2 WOAC schools the last 2 years have competed very well with 2 good New Bremen squads. It is not unrealistic to think if ML and Ansonia play that the game would be closer than 30 pts.
I wouldn’t favor Bremen or St Henry over Ansonia, but I wouldn’t be surprised either if they beat them.
Both of those Bremen teams had three losses in the MAC so I’m not sure I would put them in the same class as Marion this year, and probably not Minster either. The great thing about Yappi is it gives us something to do between games, and if I’m wrong I can make a bunch of excuses after the fact 🤣

Perfect through Round 1. Not a lot of surprises despite the seed upsets. In Round 2, we'll have 3 really competitive matchups in Ansonia/Mechanicsburg, St. Henry/Fort Loramie, and New Bremen/Minster.
Agreed. They should be very competitive games.

Ansonia is the exact team equipped to hang with Marion. Not saying they’d win but it wouldn’t be 30+ as you state.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Why are we laughing? Lucas can’t even make it out of the weak region.
Weak? Lmao. Please. Minus Marion Local and the other MAC schools, R28 is buns. When is the last time a non-MAC team even won that region?

I'm sure Ansonia has a good team this season, but acting like they have a shot is laughable. They'll get slaughtered against Local, Minster or NB.

Weak? Lmao. Please. Minus Marion Local and the other MAC schools, R28 is buns. When is the last time a non-MAC team even won that region?

I'm sure Ansonia has a good team this season, but acting like they have a shot is laughable. They'll get slaughtered against Local, Minster or NB.
Take out the MAC in R28 and you have R25

Why are we laughing? Lucas can’t even make it out of the weak region.
1. #12 Marion Local (11-0 D7 R28)
2. #94 Dalton (9-1 D7 R25)
3. #150 Minster (9-2 D7 R28)
4. #157 Pandora-Gilboa (8-3 D7 R26)
5. #167 Lima Central Catholic (7-3 D7 R26)
6. #175 McComb (9-2 D7 R26)
7. #208 Hopewell-Loudon (11-0 D7 R26)
8. #211 New Bremen (5-6 D7 R28)
9. #213 Patrick Henry (9-2 D7 R26)
10. #215 Lucas (8-3 D7 R25)
11. #222 Leipsic (8-3 D7 R26)
12. #232 St Paul (7-4 D7 R25)
13. #237 St Henry (4-7 D7 R28)
14. #238 Danville (11-0 D7 R25)
15. #240 Springfield (New Middletown) (8-3 D7 R25)

16. #242 Ansonia (11-0 D7 R28)

Ansonia would be 6th in our "weak" region. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ahh yes Drew Pasteurs rankings that mean ZILCH. How mistaken I am.

Take out the MAC in R28 and you have R25
SMH. Really? Please elaborate. Take out the MAC schools and tell me the list of schools that can stack up with:

Warren John F. Kennedy
Norwalk Saint Paul
Lucas
Dalton
New Middletown Springfield
Danville

Go!

Last edited:

I know this was rhetorical but Fort Loramie won it in 2018. Since then it went Marion, Bremen, Marion, Bremen oddly enough.

I know this was rhetorical but Fort Loramie won it in 2018. Since then it went Marion, Bremen, Marion, Bremen oddly enough.
Also, played in the regional final against ML one season too, if I remember correctly. Ansonia WISHES they were Fort Loramie.
That same season (2018), powerhouse Ansonia got bounced in the 1st round by SLC.

Also, played in the regional final against ML one season too, if I remember correctly. Ansonia WISHES they were Fort Loramie.
If your talkin Loramie they didn't play them in a regional final in that run although they did way back in 2009. They lost in OT in the second round to Marion in 2019. Marion went on to win every game by at least three touchdowns (as you are well aware for the state title game at least).

If your talkin Loramie they didn't play them in a regional final in that run although they did way back in 2009. They lost in OT in the second round to Marion in 2019. Marion went on to win every game by at least three touchdowns (as you are well aware for the state title game at least).
😐

I’m more inclined to agree with PantherSkin on this one. Just to get this out there, I do think Ansonia is very good and there is some poetic injustice (common over the years in D7) that the regional runner-up in R28 would otherwise be good enough to beat the other three regional champions. Not entirely familiar with this ML team, but alas…

As good as that 2022 New Bremen team was, I don’t agree with the framework that ‘22 NB and performances against them is much of a tell for the impending game against ML. That team wasn’t very comparable to ‘22 ML or ‘21 ML, imo. Two things: 1) the Cards that year had the talent in any preferred personnel package (12 or 22) that could stack up with the talent in ML’s preferred personnel package in either ‘21 or ‘22 season, but NB didn’t have the depth to spell those starters and get the same level of production that ML did; 2) Cards had some vulnerabilities on defense and were prone to giving up long possessions and/or giving up big chunk plays… whereas the Flyers were pretty lights out defensively and impenetrable by comparison.

If ML is similar to their general level of talent and depth as it relates to who is on the field, as they were these last two seasons, then it’s hard not to see them as a confident 2-3 touchdown favorite if chalk holds and we get ML/Ansonia two weeks from now. November is when that defense historically comes truly alive and dominant. I see it as a product of the program DNA, remarkably great coaching and the preparation that comes with playing good offenses in the MAC. Lots of credit to Ansonia already, and if they can upend Goliath it’s because they’re that good.

Dnis30, i like your posts and you say a lot of good things, but this post doesn’t make much sense.

first off, while they are good, Drew Pasteurs’ power rankings aren’t show all tell all. we will know more when Marion Local sees Dalton (who i strongly believe will make it) in the state championship. you can then compare the margins that Marion Local defeats Dalton and potentially Ansonia, and then make your assumptions about how the regions stack up. i believe that Ansonia is on par with teams like Lucas and Norwalk St Paul.

nice wins for your cubs last week over Hillsdale. that’s a matchup that should be played yearly if you ask me.

I’m more inclined to agree with PantherSkin on this one. Just to get this out there, I do think Ansonia is very good and there is some poetic injustice (common over the years in D7) that the regional runner-up in R28 would otherwise be good enough to beat the other three regional champions. Not entirely familiar with this ML team, but alas…

As good as that 2022 New Bremen team was, I don’t agree with the framework that ‘22 NB and performances against them is much of a tell for the impending game against ML. That team wasn’t very comparable to ‘22 ML or ‘21 ML, imo. Two things: 1) the Cards that year had the talent in any preferred personnel package (12 or 22) that could stack up with the talent in ML’s preferred personnel package in either ‘21 or ‘22 season, but NB didn’t have the depth to spell those starters and get the same level of production that ML did; 2) Cards had some vulnerabilities on defense and were prone to giving up long possessions and/or giving up big chunk plays… whereas the Flyers were pretty lights out defensively and impenetrable by comparison.

If ML is similar to their general level of talent and depth as it relates to who is on the field, as they were these last two seasons, then it’s hard not to see them as a confident 2-3 touchdown favorite if chalk holds and we get ML/Ansonia two weeks from now. November is when that defense historically comes truly alive and dominant. I see it as a product of the program DNA, remarkably great coaching and the preparation that comes with playing good offenses in the MAC. Lots of credit to Ansonia already, and if they can upend Goliath it’s because they’re that good.
I believe that’s a first on this site!!

Some (telling) stats:

Total wins for the teams they have beaten(including 1st round of the playoffs):
Marion- 63
Ansonia - 53
Minster- 34
Cedarville - 27
Ft Loramie- 22
St Henry - 22
New Bremen - 21

Round Robin versus teams remaining:

Marion - beat New Bremen, St Henry and Minster
Minster - beat Ft Loramie, New Bremen, St Henry and lost to Marion
St Henry - beat New Bremen and lost to Marion and Minster
New Bremen- beat Mechanicsburg and lost to St Henry, Marion and Minster
Ft Loramie - lost to Minster
Mechanicsburg- lost to New Bremen and Cedarville
Cedarville- beat Mechanicsburg
Ansonia - did not play any of the teams remaining

And just remember… as good as Minster is, ML beat them by 35 @ Minster.

Games are always interesting though… A lot depends on matchups and style of play. Versailles lost to ML by one point. Coldwater beat Versailles by 7. ML beat Coldwater by 21.

Games are always interesting though… A lot depends on matchups and style of play. Versailles lost to ML by one point. Coldwater beat Versailles by 7. ML beat Coldwater by 21.
Match-ups are the name of the game!

I see what you’re saying, but that game was 14-7 at half after two failed trips by Minster into ML’s red zone. Things snowballed in the second half. I have to believe a prospective rematch would be much closer.