Region 18 Final: Coldwater (12-1) vs Liberty Center (13-0)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whoever you root for just remember buy some things from the concession stands get 50/50 don’t complain if they charge for parking (I think it’s free tonight) it’s the only income they make tonight besides a hosting fee and support these young athletes it’s just a game and both teams are gonna lay it all on the line.

Go Tigers!!

Last edited:
Whoever you root for just remember buy some things from the concession stands get 50/50 don’t complain if they charge for parking (I think it’s free tonight) it’s the only income they make tonight besides a hosting fee and support these young athletes it’s just a game and both teams are gonna lay it all on the line.

Go Tigers!!
5 dollars for parking tonight

School parking lot. Plenty of spaces, 1/4 mile walk over the bridge
Appreciate the info. Just a neutral observer looking to catch a good game. Based on what I was finding online, I thought the school lot was the most likely choice. Was just hoping that there might be more available parking right outside the stadium.

Yep, it's definitely going to take a miracle for this 12-1 team, with victories over a D3 regional finalist and a D6 regional finalist, to win tonight. Yeah, I know Liberty Center put a whoopin' on the Cavs' last year, but this is a totally different scenario. Last year is in the books. LC better hope it's not a repeat of last year because the region 17 winner whooped them pretty good. I think Coldwater will win this game tonight, but it could go either way. Good luck Cavs!
Well, you said it, totally different scenario. Last year is in the books. However LC is up for any challenge no matter who or where or what year. Win or lose. Just play baby.

Appreciate the info. Just a neutral observer looking to catch a good game. Based on what I was finding online, I thought the school lot was the most likely choice. Was just hoping that there might be more available parking right outside the stadium.
There is a funeral home and also an accounting firm across the street (Bellefontaine) that will sell you a spot for $5. Both are a little closer than the school lot.

December 1st, 2007.
State Championship
Coldwater 28
tuYCM 27.
Cardinal Mooney was ranked 11th in the Nation according to ESPN and had 4 D1 recruits (Notre Dame, although this QB/DB was injured) 2 Penn State and 1 Oklahoma.

YCM took a 2 TD lead, CW stormed back to take the late lead. The Cardinals drove and scored a TD and decided to kick the EP, but on the attempt they failed to squeeze the Schlarman and the kick was blocked, sealing the Cavalier victory.

One of the best HS games I've ever seen. This was a team that took down D1 runner up Mooney that season!

Rise and Shine campers because its G A M E D A Y !

It may be a little cold.
It may be a little wet.

but doggone it, go support your team tonite. Offer still stands, if you feel the tickets being too expensive and the reason you are not going, hit me up and Ill pay your way.

Part 5 in this series of biggest upsets of all time is shared accomplishment between the same team.

Can Coldwater pull of the upset and be included on this list?

2005 Coldwater won their first State Football Title, but many teams are one title chumps and the legacy wasnt born until 2007when the Cavaliers took that next step with 2 victories fit for Hollywood.

November 11th, 2007.
Coldwater 59
tuAKA (the university of Archbishop Kettering Alter) 52
3OT.
Coldwater was down 28-7, and 42-21 before mounting the improbable comeback win.
Alter had the Borland kid who went to Wisky, and then the 49ers.
CW offensive assistant coach was the QB of that team.
It was such an incredible game, Alter's video guy sold copIies of it around the area.

December 1st, 2007.
State Championship
Coldwater 28
tuYCM 27.
Cardinal Mooney was ranked 11th in the Nation according to ESPN and had 4 D1 recruits (Notre Dame, although this QB/DB was injured) 2 Penn State and 1 Oklahoma.

YCM took a 2 TD lead, CW stormed back to take the late lead. The Cardinals drove and scored a TD and decided to kick the EP, but on the attempt they failed to squeeze the Schlarman and the kick was blocked, sealing the Cavalier victory.

If a ragtag group of kids can beat two private, star studded programs on the way to a title then the 6 seeded, second place Cavaliers who were beaten by a D7 team can hang with LC and maybe, just MAYBE, shock the world like they did in 2007 and beat what most consider an unbeatable opponent.

Do you believe in miracles?

I do.

Winning team 27
Non Winning team 24.

God Bless the USA.
God Bless the MAC
and May God Bless the Coldwater Cavaliers!
I was at both of those games. Pretty amazing to have not one, but two thrillers like that in the playoffs. Side note. I remember many moons ago playing Swanton in the first round and blocking an extra point to ultimately win, and then having a 2OT shootout against Bellaire.

As someone with no dog in this fight, here's the deal, folks.

Every person in NWO north of Van Wert County thinks Liberty Center is UNTOUCHABLE. They're looking at last year's 34-0 result and saying easy-peasy because this LC team is better. They saw that Marion Local-Coldwater score on October 20th and have Sharpie'd in the Tigers as the R18 winners. After hearing earlier this week that the winner of this game gets the Region 20 winner instead of South Range or Perry, LC fans started purchasing their State Championship Game tickets. They're embracing the "No One Likes Us, We Don't Care" & "We Hit Hard!" mantras. They're not sold on the MAC.

NOT.
SO.
FAST.

If you had to pick a weakness for Liberty Center, it's their pass game (which they haven't needed) and their secondary. LC is going to need both of those this week in order to win. Here's why:

-Baylen. Blockberger. This dude's the real deal, Holyfield. Only 2 other players in the MAC (that I've seen in my lifetime) have thrown a prettier ball than Blockberger. That would be Nathan Bruns from ML & Keith Wenning from Coldwater. He had a TD pass last week where he dropped a ball from the 30yd line into the bucket that is Aaron Harlamert's arms in the back of the endzone between 3 defenders--and it wasn't even his best throw of the night. That one came in the 2nd quarter, again on a connection to Harlamert. Blockberger took one step back after catching the shotgun snap, and launched the ball from CW's own 25-yd line. #6 didn't even break a stride as the ball once again landed perfectly in his arms down the right sideline at the Edison 25-yd line. Liberty Center hasn't seen a QB that can throw it like that this season.

-Aside from the QB, Coldwater's strength of their team is their Run Defense, led by MAC DPOY Cody Depweg. Who do you think has a better run game between Marion Local or Liberty Center? Cavs sold out to stop the run against ML and held the Flyers (who average 6.6 ypc) to just 80 yards on 25 carries. They're going to attempt to do the same this week. They've allowed just 3.2 ypc in the regular season, 2nd in the MAC to just Marion Local's 2.4 ypc allowed.

-Line play. LC has dominated the trenches against everyone they've played the last 2 years aside from South Range. But they don't play in the MAC. They HAVE to get as much pressure on Blockberger as they can. If there's any DLine in D5 that can do it, it's Bockelman and crew at LC. But Coldwater likes their quick pass game, too, which may make it a big tougher to get to Blockberger. LC may have the size advantage on the line across the board, but CW's line is the usual for a tough MAC team. Have 1 or 2 bigger guys, but the rest of them have about 0.1% body fat with a good combo of strength and quickness to counteract any size disadvantage.

-On the flip side of Coldwater's defense, their pass defense is 8th/10 in the MAC, allowing 150.5 ypg. They're going to have the same game plan against LC this week as they had against ML. Stop the run. So how did ML win 35-14, you ask? The answer--PLAY. ACTION. If LC wins this game, it'll be because they threw for 150-200 yards minimum. The rushing yards won't come as easy as they're used to. ML QB Justin Knouff back in Week 10 had just 11 completions for 237 yards against Coldwater. Their big plays via play action doomed the Cavs. LC QB Landon Amstutz through their first 12 games averaged 62 ypg throwing the ball. Again, they haven't needed to throw it much. Last week he threw a bit more and was 10/16 for 194 yds. He'll need a similar statline this week to get the W.

That's what LC has to do. Will they? I don't think so.

Cavs 28
LC 24

7/10 LC opponent's made the playoffs this year. Just sayin
With 16 teams per region making the playoff, the measure of how many playoff opponents are on your schedule is practically meaningless. Seeds 9-16 are simply canon fodder. Top eight seed opponents are more meaningful.

Every person in NWO north of Van Wert County thinks Liberty Center is UNTOUCHABLE. They're looking at last year's 34-0 result and saying easy-peasy because this LC team is better. They saw that Marion Local-Coldwater score on October 20th and have Sharpie'd in the Tigers as the R18 winners. After hearing earlier this week that the winner of this game gets the Region 20 winner instead of South Range or Perry, LC fans started purchasing their State Championship Game tickets. They're embracing the "No One Likes Us, We Don't Care" & "We Hit Hard!" mantras. They're not sold on the MAC.

NOT.
SO.
FAST.

If you had to pick a weakness for Liberty Center, it's their pass game (which they haven't needed) and their secondary. LC is going to need both of those this week in order to win. Here's why:

-Baylen. Blockberger. This dude's the real deal, Holyfield. Only 2 other players in the MAC (that I've seen in my lifetime) have thrown a prettier ball than Blockberger. That would be Nathan Bruns from ML & Keith Wenning from Coldwater. He had a TD pass last week where he dropped a ball from the 30yd line into the bucket that is Aaron Harlamert's arms in the back of the endzone between 3 defenders--and it wasn't even his best throw of the night. That one came in the 2nd quarter, again on a connection to Harlamert. Blockberger took one step back after catching the shotgun snap, and launched the ball from CW's own 25-yd line. #6 didn't even break a stride as the ball once again landed perfectly in his arms down the right sideline at the Edison 25-yd line. Liberty Center hasn't seen a QB that can throw it like that this season.

-Aside from the QB, Coldwater's strength of their team is their Run Defense, led by MAC DPOY Cody Depweg. Who do you think has a better run game between Marion Local or Liberty Center? Cavs sold out to stop the run against ML and held the Flyers (who average 6.6 ypc) to just 80 yards on 25 carries. They're going to attempt to do the same this week. They've allowed just 3.2 ypc in the regular season, 2nd in the MAC to just Marion Local's 2.4 ypc allowed.

-Line play. LC has dominated the trenches against everyone they've played the last 2 years aside from South Range. But they don't play in the MAC. They HAVE to get as much pressure on Blockberger as they can. If there's any DLine in D5 that can do it, it's Bockelman and crew at LC. But Coldwater likes their quick pass game, too, which may make it a big tougher to get to Blockberger. LC may have the size advantage on the line across the board, but CW's line is the usual for a tough MAC team. Have 1 or 2 bigger guys, but the rest of them have about 0.1% body fat with a good combo of strength and quickness to counteract any size disadvantage.

-On the flip side of Coldwater's defense, their pass defense is 8th/10 in the MAC, allowing 150.5 ypg. They're going to have the same game plan against LC this week as they had against ML. Stop the run. So how did ML win 35-14, you ask? The answer--PLAY. ACTION. If LC wins this game, it'll be because they threw for 150-200 yards minimum. The rushing yards won't come as easy as they're used to. ML QB Justin Knouff back in Week 10 had just 11 completions for 237 yards against Coldwater. Their big plays via play action doomed the Cavs. LC QB Landon Amstutz through their first 12 games averaged 62 ypg throwing the ball. Again, they haven't needed to throw it much. Last week he threw a bit more and was 10/16 for 194 yds. He'll need a similar statline this week to get the W.

Cavs 28
LC 24
I may have a bias , but the Nixon boy from Minster that helped us Beat Kirtland in 2014, and i think he is the all time leading passer in the MAC... could sling it...

this should be a GREAT game...

Region 20 winner instead of South Range or Perry, LC fans started purchasing their State Championship Game tickets. They're embracing the "No One Likes Us, We Don't Care" & "We Hit Hard!" mantras. They're not sold on the MAC.
Was good reading until about this part...lol. I think everyone in Ohio understands and respects the MAC teams. No one is rushing out to buy championship tickets just yet, except maybe a few Perry folks. You may be correct about the LC passing game, but I do think the secondary is much better than you give them credit for. Im sure it will be a hard fought close game. Good luck both your Cavs and the Tigers!

NOT.
SO.
FAST.

Cavs 28
LC 24
Good write up but your mistaken in the passing game and secondary LC hasn’t needed to pass last week we had both run and pass working 551 total yards 198 in the air 353 ground 1st team secondary only has given up 2 passing TD’s all year Tinora and Oak Harbor if you think our secondary is our weakness you haven’t followed LC at all. This is probably there best D they have had in the 24 years. 6.5 hrs till kick off!!!
It’s going to be a great night for football!
Go Tigers!

NOT.
SO.
FAST.

Cavs 28
LC 24
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but did you just compare LC rushing to Marion Local and give ML the edge with 6.6 ypc? LC has brothers that one averages 12 ypc and other is 10.5 ypc. If Coldwater only comes with a 3 man front, they are in trouble. I am sure the coaching staff is smarter than that. But the MAC is pretty pass heavy. Not saying they are not good at it, just confused as I think you’re comparing apples to oranges. But the fun part is, everyone gets to watch how it unfolds tonight.

NOT.
SO.
FAST.

Cavs 28
LC 24
LC has dominated every one in the trenches including CW in the last two years (excluding SR).

O.1% body fat? Are you on drugs? Anything less than 8% is considered a health risk.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but did you just compare LC rushing to Marion Local and give ML the edge with 6.6 ypc? LC has brothers that one averages 12 ypc and other is 10.5 ypc. If Coldwater only comes with a 3 man front, they are in trouble. I am sure the coaching staff is smarter than that. But the MAC is pretty pass heavy. Not saying they are not good at it, just confused as I think you’re comparing apples to oranges. But the fun part is, everyone gets to watch how it unfolds tonight.

No, I didn't give ML the edge between their and LC's run game. I just asked the question--because I don't know who the heck I would give the edge to!

You have good and bad points. First, the MAC's reputation is well known up here and well respected. No doubt about that.
Second, both play different schedule of teams, and none play the same as the others which means each team prepares differently as well.
This week Liberty prepared for Coldwater who happens to be different this year than last. We have 5 hours until we see who has prepared better.
GO TIGER!

So LC can run it and have dynamic receivers who can catch it? Sounds like more doom to CW.

3,4,5,8,11 man front against that LC OL and running attack doesnt matter. Unless CW is trotting out 4-5 Ross Homan type defenders it wont matter.

LC 33
CW 6.

So LC can run it and have dynamic receivers who can catch it? Sounds like more doom to CW.

3,4,5,8,11 man front against that LC OL and running attack doesnt matter. Unless CW is trotting out 4-5 Ross Homan type defenders it wont matter.

LC 33
CW 6.
Actually Oak Harbor had good success on the front if you watched that game. Jammed up the middle and were not able to run the dive they love so much. That is why LC had to put the ball in the air and had 194 yds. More than they are used to. That and they relied on the sweep. Game was closer than the score indicated. Field position played a huge role in that game. OH had many long drives that ended empty.

East is closest to the stadium

Downtown has zero parking

West is several miles away
🤩 thanks
Actually Oak Harbor had good success on the front if you watched that game. Jammed up the middle and were not able to run the dive they love so much. That is why LC had to put the ball in the air and had 194 yds. More than they are used to. That and they relied on the sweep. Game was closer than the score indicated. Field position played a huge role in that game. OH had many long drives that ended empty.
Had 3 runs of 35 yards up the middle kruse had 2 runs up the middle and rentz it doesn’t matter who is in the back field Coach Mohler is fine with the 3-4 who get touches they all have done amazing this year kruse boys get the recognition but they are the first to say they get all there yards from the hogs up front! Gonna be an ole fashion Donnybrook tonight !! Some fans are almost down Lima already! I’m waiting for the kids in the school line and we are south bound and down baby!

🤩 thanks

Had 3 runs of 35 yards up the middle kruse had 2 runs up the middle and rentz it doesn’t matter who is in the back field Coach Mohler is fine with the 3-4 who get touches they all have done amazing this year kruse boys get the recognition but they are the first to say they get all there yards from the hogs up front! Gonna be an ole fashion Donnybrook tonight !! Some fans are almost down Lima already! I’m waiting for the kids in the school line and we are south bound and down baby!
Safe travels everyone, and hopefully it’s a hard fought, injury free game.

More than other small conferences, maybe. But I would not call the MAC pass heavy.