OHSAA Memo To Member Schools Dissects Governor DeWine's Re-opening Of Sports

Its definately been here in January. Heck, probably December too. The CDC is telling us to beware a second wave. This might already be the second wave. Coventry Local Schools did take a calamity day back in January to address an awful lot of kids getting sick in a short amount of time. It definately could have been that.
Warren JFK shutdown for an entire week in early January because so many students and teachers were sick. They cleaned and disinfected the school too at that time. My youngest son, who is in elementary school was sick at this time for about 8-9 days and my wife took him to urgent care a couple days before we went on a college visit to get some meds because his cough was just hanging around. They took swabs and said they would get back to us. We got billed $1100 for the tests(we shouldn't I have great insurance) and my wife, who works in the industry demanded the EOB(explanation of benefits). They tested him for everything and I mean everything. From every flu to legionairres diseases to RSV to you name it. They never did give a definitive answer to what he had. They did not have a covid test at this time remember. This was early January which means he would of contracted it in December. I am 100% convinced that this has been around much longer than we probably even realize, meaning just about everyone, or at least a very large percentage of us, has already been exposed to it.

Because the flu "going around" every year is different and the vaccine is an educated guess. Covid-19 is specific virus like polio or smallpox (which is actually two) so a vaccination specific to the disease might be possible.
Absolutely and unequivocally false. Covid-19 is a SARS based coronavirus. Similar to that of SARS (H1N1), MERS, and other Coronavirus relatives, this too will take on multiple forms. All coronaviruses do. In order for viruses to survive, they must mutate and try to keep their hosts alive. Hence the major flattening and downturn of the curve in death rates (if you want to call them accurate) compared to positive and expectant positive cases.

Herd immunity is much more likely with a vaccination that is somewhere around 20-50% effective, just like the flu. We will eventually see multiple vaccinations for multiple strands with some "expert" guessing which vaccination to pump people full of every year, just as we do with the flu now.

People are very confused on how this is different from influenza. The simple fact of the matter is that influenza typically ONLY has a negative effect on humans. Coronaviruses (including Covid-19) can affect animals as well as humans. Quick biology lesson for those that have also been arguing over this and the flu. Both are respiratory illnesses.

Absolutely and unequivocally false. Covid-19 is a SARS based coronavirus. Similar to that of SARS (H1N1), MERS, and other Coronavirus relatives, this too will take on multiple forms. All coronaviruses do. In order for viruses to survive, they must mutate and try to keep their hosts alive. Hence the major flattening and downturn of the curve in death rates (if you want to call them accurate) compared to positive and expectant positive cases.

Herd immunity is much more likely with a vaccination that is somewhere around 20-50% effective, just like the flu. We will eventually see multiple vaccinations for multiple strands with some "expert" guessing which vaccination to pump people full of every year, just as we do with the flu now.

People are very confused on how this is different from influenza. The simple fact of the matter is that influenza typically ONLY has a negative effect on humans. Coronaviruses (including Covid-19) can affect animals as well as humans. Quick biology lesson for those that have also been arguing over this and the flu. Both are respiratory illnesses.

I am not a medical professional, but that is how I always understood this. Coronoviruses and influenza viruses are very similar and have been around forever with many different strains. The symptoms of both viruses are essentially identical and strains of each virus vary from mild to deadly. Many coronoviruses that can infect humans are not dangerous. I believe some of the common cold strains are coronoviruses. I am pessimistic that there will ever be an effective vaccine for Covid-19 so it is going to have to run its course and hopefully mutate to a weakened strain. Covid-19 does not appear to be anywhere close to as deadly as the Spanish Flu.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. It just seems that far too many people posting on this topic have gross misunderstandings of what a coronovirus or influenza virus actually are.

I am not a medical professional, but that is how I always understood this. Coronoviruses and influenza viruses are very similar and have been around forever with many different strains. The symptoms of both viruses are essentially identical and strains of each virus vary from mild to deadly. Many coronoviruses that can infect humans are not dangerous. I believe some of the common cold strains are coronoviruses. I am pessimistic that there will ever be an effective vaccine for Covid-19 so it is going to have to run its course and hopefully mutate to a weakened strain. Covid-19 does not appear to be anywhere close to as deadly as the Spanish Flu.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. It just seems that far too many people posting on this topic have gross misunderstandings of what a coronovirus or influenza virus actually are.
Very correct. You hit the nail on the head. Viruses mutate and weaken but when mutations happen, sometimes the initial effects are worse (such as new flu viruses) because our immune systems are going crazy trying to figure out what this new mutation is. There is an extremely gross misunderstanding by many of what the two are. Coronavirus is a generic term for most respiratory illnesses. It can effect humans and animals. Influenza is also a respiratory illness but mainly effects humans. Both mutate. But can be contained by natural immunities.

FYI:

Universities in nearly a dozen states have said they expect to hold classes on campus in the fall. Schools in at least four states plan to end in-person classes after Thanksgiving.
"This was done to minimize the mass exit and return of students these breaks created," Purdue University in Indiana said in a statement Monday.
Universities are trying to avoid exposing students and faculty to the highly contagious virus through holiday season travel.
"Our best current modeling predicts a spike in cases of Covid-19 at the beginning of December, which also will likely coincide with traditional flu season," said University of South Carolina President Bob Caslen in a message to faculty, staff and students.
Along with South Carolina and Purdue, Creighton University in Nebraska, Rice University in Texas and Notre Dame will also be ending face-to-face classes after Thanksgiving.

Absolutely and unequivocally false. Covid-19 is a SARS based coronavirus. Similar to that of SARS (H1N1), MERS, and other Coronavirus relatives, this too will take on multiple forms. All coronaviruses do. In order for viruses to survive, they must mutate and try to keep their hosts alive.
As little as I know about viruses, I know this is nonsense. The virus does not care if it kills its host. The virus does not care if it kills every human on earth. It makes me think you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you do, but I can't trust that you do.

As little as I know about viruses, I know this is nonsense. The virus does not care if it kills its host. The virus does not care if it kills every human on earth. It makes me think you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you do, but I can't trust that you do.
Viruses have natural “instinct” to spread as quickly as possible. Genetic mutations happen when they jump from host to host and change their own DNA or RNA based upon its genetic material. Sometimes mistakenly. Sometimes purposely to survive. The goal of any virus is to find a host to house its reproduction. A dead host doesn’t work. But mistaken or purposeful adaptation and mutation occurs to keep hosts living for reproduction purposes. It’s biology 101.

Yeah, viruses actually don’t want to kill their host. Think of it as a symbiotic relationship...doesn’t work if you kill the host.

Many news outlets throughout the world are calling this the "first wave" of Covid-19. I see the "second wave" is already being reported in China. This was designed to be here until everyone is "vaccinated". There will be no football this year, and I predict, no basketball either.

Many news outlets throughout the world are calling this the "first wave" of Covid-19. I see the "second wave" is already being reported in China. This was designed to be here until everyone is "vaccinated". There will be no football this year, and I predict, no basketball either.

If one sport is dropped for the school year, I would anticipate all sports being dropped. Not fair to cherry pick activities. 2019-2020 was an exception. No one saw the pandemic coming. I just hope they make the announcement soon before getting our hopes up. NFL players are balking, college Presidents have for the most part agreed that no on campus learning (even 2 days a week) equals no fall sports. MLB players are on the verge of mutiny. The NCAA is toothless when it comes to decision making. Contingency plans are being made for 2020-2021 to be declared an optional red-shirt year. Who in their right mind would opt to play given that option? The better players will opt out and enter the NFL draft. This is an unmitigated disaster for team sports at all levels. The fat lady is warming up and Dandy Don Meredith has his hand on the light switch. I would expect the decision to come sometime in early July. GBM

If one sport is dropped for the school year, I would anticipate all sports being dropped. Not fair to cherry pick activities. 2019-2020 was an exception. No one saw the pandemic coming. I just hope they make the announcement soon before getting our hopes up. NFL players are balking, college Presidents have for the most part agreed that no on campus learning (even 2 days a week) equals no fall sports. MLB players are on the verge of mutiny. The NCAA is toothless when it comes to decision making. Contingency plans are being made for 2020-2021 to be declared an optional red-shirt year. Who in their right mind would opt to play given that option? The better players will opt out and enter the NFL draft. This is an unmitigated disaster for team sports at all levels. The fat lady is warming up and Dandy Don Meredith has his hand on the light switch. I would expect the decision to come sometime in early July. GBM
Well said. What a sad state of affairs. SMH. I cannot help but think of all the kids in Ohio whose dreams have been shattered. This seems like a dream we cannot wake up from.

Selfish to cancel all sports because you can't play one sport. Why in the heck would you cancel golf because you can't play football?

Golf, girls' tennis, ( cross country with modifications) would be the only fall sports allowed, but those kids should be allowed to compete.

Me neither. That was my point.
Viruses need to deliver its DNA or RNA genome into living host cells in order to reproduce. Naturally reproduction and spreading from host to host is the optimal environment for a virus. When a virus is outside of a living cell, it stops metabolizing and cannot reproduce. Sometimes viruses that are fought off by the human immune system become metabolically inert or dormant in a body (which is why you are immune but always carry viruses).

I'm not sure what people think about the "thought process" of a virus, but survival is key. Viruses can adapt, mutate, jump hosts, etc. in order to survive. They may not have a thought process like a human mind, but they have a survival "instinct" unlike most anything in nature.

The major component we are all trying to figure out is whether herd immunity or a vaccine can stave off Covid-19. Right now the R Naught factor (listen to Dewine say we went from 2-1 to 1-1...this is R Naught) has gone down in Ohio (2-1 to 1-1). This means the mutation is weakening as it cannot spread as frequently. Lends the thought process to both experts and the layperson that herd immunity is effective and would be a far better resource to use by opening up than waiting on our country to go to waste.

The state is currently gathering information from school districts about Internet access and devices in home... school districts are in turn asking parents to answer surveys about Internet access. The state is preparing for online learning in the fall. If there is online learning, there will be no sports.

Viruses need to deliver its DNA or RNA genome into living host cells in order to reproduce. Naturally reproduction and spreading from host to host is the optimal environment for a virus. When a virus is outside of a living cell, it stops metabolizing and cannot reproduce. Sometimes viruses that are fought off by the human immune system become metabolically inert or dormant in a body (which is why you are immune but always carry viruses).

I'm not sure what people think about the "thought process" of a virus, but survival is key. Viruses can adapt, mutate, jump hosts, etc. in order to survive. They may not have a thought process like a human mind, but they have a survival "instinct" unlike most anything in nature.

The major component we are all trying to figure out is whether herd immunity or a vaccine can stave off Covid-19. Right now the R Naught factor (listen to Dewine say we went from 2-1 to 1-1...this is R Naught) has gone down in Ohio (2-1 to 1-1). This means the mutation is weakening as it cannot spread as frequently. Lends the thought process to both experts and the layperson that herd immunity is effective and would be a far better resource to use by opening up than waiting on our country to go to waste.
Or the R naught could have been overstated to begin with. This is a new virus and the initial hotspots were areas that had a high rate of close cohabitation. It will be interesting to see how that number begins to vary as we open up.

Or the R naught could have been overstated to begin with. This is a new virus and the initial hotspots were areas that had a high rate of close cohabitation. It will be interesting to see how that number begins to vary as we open up.
Yes. It could have been overstated or it could have been vastly understated as well. With testing procedures becoming more prevalent, yet the R Naught value going down, one can only believe that the value was initially much higher than 2-1 and the 1-1 is showing herd immunity is in full effect.

I would say that this virus is much weaker than it was two months ago. People need not be scared. Open up and let's get back to the OLD normal.

The state is currently gathering information from school districts about Internet access and devices in home... school districts are in turn asking parents to answer surveys about Internet access. The state is preparing for online learning in the fall. If there is online learning, there will be no sports.
According to our local district, the state is gathering information to make it's case that learning from home for the masses can drastically set back education and that in class teaching will provide a far better result for the general student at all ages kindergarten to college. This along with the stats that show children's risks for this virus are being combined to show schools can be reopened safely.

If you say so, should I tell the rest of the state or can you handle it

Someone should let the world know we’ve got a bunch more Doctors and Scientists here in this Yappi thread
I never understood why people think its a bad thing to have an education and post on a forum. Is some of this over your head? It can always be dumbed down. Most of it is 6th grade biology.

You can have both, no? I don't see the huge issue w/ allowing parents the choice of on-line or in class, apart from any decision regarding sports.

You can have both, no? I don't see the huge issue w/ allowing parents the choice of on-line or in class, apart from any decision regarding sports.
That is probably spot on. The only issue I see is what the teachers and administrators feeling is. The reality of the situation is that those will be the people most at risk. As their age gets closer to 50+, the numbers show that they are at a higher risk for severe complications. That risk may be minimal, but it is higher.

They already have the choice to homeschool. Always have. Virtual learning will devastate school districts. Many many parents will unenroll their children to bypass the middle man of the teacher. Fewer enrolled students means even bigger budget cuts