MVAC Football 2020

Nice win for WR, they will be pretty good next year, definitely solidly second in the league. Springfield will still have that #21 so they’ll be favorites. I came away from the WR-McDonald game this year thinking Reserve was going to have a nice team next year. McDonald is going to struggle losing 15 seniors and small classes coming up. Skill wise they’ll be solid with 23 and 42 leading the way with a couple freshman that looked nice, but they are going to struggle up front mightily.
I will believe McDonald will be down when I see it. They always find a way

I felt like the WR coaching staff should be commended. They got a late start, they had to deal with Corona in their first year as a staff and they had to overcome lots of injuries. With all that going on they had the team ready to compete and they got better every week. I think administration should feel lucky to have them. If they don’t want them I know there are lots of schools in the area would be happy to have this staff.
While I agree, there needs to be some consistency going forward. Offensively the running game was their strength, but the passing game left a lot to be desired. Defensively, way too many big plays. It’s been a long time since a WR defense gave up as many big plays as they did this year. Lots of turnover with staff and barely any time to install, but a lot needs cleaned up. I think this staff is capable for sure. This newer version of the Stack I is also very good. I wonder if this Wildcat or whatever it is can be like Hake’s Stack I was for him.

I will believe McDonald will be down when I see it. They always find a way

It's been something that has been talked about on here the last few years. The numbers in the program are way down, they could not even field a JV team last year. They did this year but used a few seniors that did not start varsity and the jr high team only had around 15 players. This is not just a problem for football, the basketball program after this year looks bleak too.

From the vindy roster here is the breakdown of the team this year:
Sr- 15
Jr- 6
So- 7
Fr- 7

Now by down I don't think they will be like 2-8 next year. I think they'll be around 5-5 and maybe if things fall right 7-3. They're gonna have to rely on young linemen as there was only 1 junior and 2 soph linemen on roster. Hopefully covid is less of a concern next year and with the success of the last 3 years and new stadium that'll get more kids to come out.

It's been something that has been talked about on here the last few years. The numbers in the program are way down, they could not even field a JV team last year. They did this year but used a few seniors that did not start varsity and the jr high team only had around 15 players. This is not just a problem for football, the basketball program after this year looks bleak too.

From the vindy roster here is the breakdown of the team this year:
Sr- 15
Jr- 6
So- 7
Fr- 7

Now by down I don't think they will be like 2-8 next year. I think they'll be around 5-5 and maybe if things fall right 7-3. They're gonna have to rely on young linemen as there was only 1 junior and 2 soph linemen on roster. Hopefully covid is less of a concern next year and with the success of the last 3 years and new stadium that'll get more kids to come out.

I’m hopeful more boys will want to play on the new field. It’s one thing to say your getting and new field and to see it start to be built.. it is another thing to see it when finished..
I dont see how you look at that field and not get fired up about playing on it.
Maybe the younger Gen is just that far gone..... hope not.

I’m hopeful more boys will want to play on the new field. It’s one thing to say your getting and new field and to see it start to be built.. it is another thing to see it when finished..
I dont see how you look at that field and not get fired up about playing on it.
Maybe the younger Gen is just that far gone..... hope not.

It's a long time coming and it was awesome seeing pictures of the team practicing on it. Hopefully that with the other factors I listed get the kids out. There certainly will be opportunity to play varsity with only 3 starters returning.

Big news coming out of Berlin Center the last couple days. The big rumor today is there will be a board meeting next Tuesday with the intentions being to open up the job. I may not agree with everything Coach Lude and his staff did this year, but this is crazy. The rumor is a board member has it out for Coach Lude over not keeping her family on staff. I have spoken to many parents and community members who plan on attending this meeting. People are not happy. In what world does it make sense to get rid of this staff after only 3 months with everything they endured this year?

Big news coming out of Berlin Center the last couple days. The big rumor today is there will be a board meeting next Tuesday with the intentions being to open up the job. I may not agree with everything Coach Lude and his staff did this year, but this is crazy. The rumor is a board member has it out for Coach Lude over not keeping her family on staff. I have spoken to many parents and community members who plan on attending this meeting. People are not happy. In what world does it make sense to get rid of this staff after only 3 months with everything they endured this year?

Wow this is not good... you are going the way of the Niles football program.

Wow this is not good... you are going the way of the Niles football program.
Four separate phone calls I had from parents in the know today.

1) “Same people who ran Coach Rach out are now after Coach Lude”
2) “If they do this again I am taking my son out of this school and I won’t be the only one”
3) “why would anyone want this job if they are willing to do that to someone who is from here?”
4) “Trying to rally support to get Hake back this season or next, what a joke”

This board meeting should be a Netflix Series. I want to see them justify trying to hire a 4th coach in under a year. I thought this staff did a great job. I may have to go to this board meeting.

That’s pretty awful if true and even though there’s no love lost towards Berlin Center, I’d hope coach Lude gets a fair shake. He did a solid job and got a nice win over Labrae to cap the season. No matter what, WR was gonna struggle some this year (compared to the last decade), it was a major rebuilding after losing so much from last year.

As an outsider my opinion is #4 is probably the root of it. There’s probably some die hard Hake supporters who will try to clear the path to get him back. Hopefully the WR community shows up in support of Coach Lude otherwise this could be very bad for the WR program

That’s pretty awful if true and even though there’s no love lost towards Berlin Center, I’d hope coach Lude gets a fair shake. He did a solid job and got a nice win over Labrae to cap the season. No matter what, WR was gonna struggle some this year (compared to the last decade), it was a major rebuilding after losing so much from last year.

As an outsider my opinion is #4 is probably the root of it. There’s probably some die hard Hake supporters who will try to clear the path to get him back. Hopefully the WR community shows up in support of Coach Lude otherwise this could be very bad for the WR program
Hake had a year of rehab. He’s ready to come back

You have to feel for Coach Lude and his family. There is no reason they should be having to endure this. 6-4 with two losses coming to Springfield who is still playing. McDonald is a toss up every year. The Jackson Milton loss is bad, but also their best team in 20 years. I was there, they had no business beating LaBrae last week. They got better every week and kids seemed behind him. This will continue to happen until someone stands up to that board and the people on it. Coach Lude does not deserve this, the kids deserve better, and it’s embarrassing we are even talking about this.

Four separate phone calls I had from parents in the know today.

1) “Same people who ran Coach Rach out are now after Coach Lude”
2) “If they do this again I am taking my son out of this school and I won’t be the only one”
3) “why would anyone want this job if they are willing to do that to someone who is from here?”
4) “Trying to rally support to get Hake back this season or next, what a joke”

This board meeting should be a Netflix Series. I want to see them justify trying to hire a 4th coach in under a year. I thought this staff did a great job. I may have to go to this board meeting.

I'm sure that I've missed something along the way, but did Rach really get run out before the season even started??? If so, why?

I'm sure that I've missed something along the way, but did Rach really get run out before the season even started??? If so, why?

The rumors were all over the place when all that happened with Coach Rach. They tried to spin it as he wanted to leave, but his supporters were at that meeting and it was clear that was not the case. If this happens again, I think it is safe to say those rumors were true. Same family are again behind the rumors of being the ones pushing hard to get Coach Lude out. It is not a coincidence to anyone in the community that certain families were not hired or retained and now the board, led by that family want Coach Lude gone. The only change that needs to be made is the leadership on that board.

First off let me say I hope this isn't true. Coach Lude did a very solid job in a tough situation. If it is true this is the textbook way to destroy a football program and do long lasting damage in the school and in the community. Also, how can coach Hake be anywhere near kids at this point. Did Western Reserve alert the state to what happened last year? If so he would be facing suspension, loss of his teaching license, and probably disqualified from working with students again. If the school did not alert the state then the retired superintendent and the current superintendent who was the principal when all this went down are in danger of losing their teaching and administrative credentials. It is time someone who is sane contact the ODE to make sure things are being done the right way in WR.

First off let me say I hope this isn't true. Coach Lude did a very solid job in a tough situation. If it is true this is the textbook way to destroy a football program and do long lasting damage in the school and in the community. Also, how can coach Hake be anywhere near kids at this point. Did Western Reserve alert the state to what happened last year? If so he would be facing suspension, loss of his teaching license, and probably disqualified from working with students again. If the school did not alert the state then the retired superintendent and the current superintendent who was the principal when all this went down are in danger of losing their teaching and administrative credentials. It is time someone who is sane contact the ODE to make sure things are being done the right way in WR.

This is why I would think it is not true

The rumors were all over the place when all that happened with Coach Rach. They tried to spin it as he wanted to leave, but his supporters were at that meeting and it was clear that was not the case. If this happens again, I think it is safe to say those rumors were true. Same family are again behind the rumors of being the ones pushing hard to get Coach Lude out. It is not a coincidence to anyone in the community that certain families were not hired or retained and now the board, led by that family want Coach Lude gone. The only change that needs to be made is the leadership on that board.

Found on the WRHS website. Seems as if two board members relatives were on last years staff and were not brought on this year with Coach Lude. Two relatives of Powell and one of Clegg..... “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire”

Board Of Education
Tracy Sinn, President…..……………330-272-1402
Richard Blevins, Vice-President…… ….. 330.533.5734
Cathy Romack, Treasurer……………. 330.547.4100

Members
Lisa Powell : 330.565.4662 - Lpowell1012@yahoo.com
Mark Halls : 330.398.4262 - mb13685@aol.com
Debra Clegg : 330.718.8122 - Debra.CleggWR@gmail.com

I'm taking a wait and see approach right now. But if this happens I will seriously have to rethink my families relationship with the district. Maybe the district does not care but I cannot have my family in a district that condones or shields drug use in the classroom by faculty. I also am not comfortable with a board of education using the district for the personal benefit of their relatives or as a platform to even petty scores. Once again, I am not saying this has happened but be aware the residents of this district are watching you board of education, make the right decisions here not the ones that benefit you personally!

There was a meeting with next years senior parents last night. I just got off the phone with a parent at that meeting. He said Coach Lude said he is not acknowledging rumors and approaching every day like he is the head football coach until told otherwise. The parent said Lude discussed the season, answered questions, and the focus was about the offseason and football. He said parents came away impressed with all the other distractions going on. I told that parent they all need to show up to the board meeting and make their voices heard.

I'm taking a wait and see approach right now. But if this happens I will seriously have to rethink my families relationship with the district. Maybe the district does not care but I cannot have my family in a district that condones or shields drug use in the classroom by faculty. I also am not comfortable with a board of education using the district for the personal benefit of their relatives or as a platform to even petty scores. Once again, I am not saying this has happened but be aware the residents of this district are watching you board of education, make the right decisions here not the ones that benefit you personally!

I don’t think there is any truth to the rumor of his returning. No one is that blind to the situation and legally you would have to think it’s not possible. The background checks you have to pass alone wouldn’t allow it. At the same time I do think there is a push to open up the job and see what happens. I think it’s crazy to go through that again and if that’s already set in stone, you just hope they give Lude a fair shot to return. Assuming he would even want to if those people get their way.

Good Luck Springfield

Also good luck to Coach Lude and his staff. Hoping it’s good news for them on Tuesday. I for one plan on attending and speaking my mind on the matter. It sounds like I won’t be alone.

Some of the high school football historians might be able to answer the following question. Where there any ITCL schools that made it to the state championship? I know that league was relatively short lived (which is sad because in my opinion it was a great league with 2 competitive tiers) but I can't remember if anyone made it that far. I know Columbiana, South Range, and Crestview all had runs at one point just not sure how far.

Some of the high school football historians might be able to answer the following question. Where there any ITCL schools that made it to the state championship? I know that league was relatively short lived (which is sad because in my opinion it was a great league with 2 competitive tiers) but I can't remember if anyone made it that far. I know Columbiana, South Range, and Crestview all had runs at one point just not sure how far.

During the time of the ITCL? No. Western Reserve made it to the semi-finals twice in 2011 and 2013 that’s the farthest anyone went. SR, Crestview, Columbiana, WR, and McDonald all made it to the regional championship at some point during the ITCL.

Now if we are just talking of the schools in general. Lisbon won a title in 95. Wellsville had a runner-up in 94. McDonald had 2 runner ups in 89 and 94.

The ohsaa has every teams playoff history here: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/Sports/Football/history/FootballParticipants.pdf

During the time of the ITCL? No. Western Reserve made it to the semi-finals twice in 2011 and 2013 that’s the farthest anyone went. SR, Crestview, Columbiana, WR, and McDonald all made it to the regional championship at some point during the ITCL.

Now if we are just talking of the schools in general. Lisbon won a title in 95. Wellsville had a runner-up in 94. McDonald had 2 runner ups in 89 and 94.

The ohsaa has every teams playoff history here: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/Sports/Football/history/FootballParticipants.pdf
Thanks, very helpful. If Springfield can win and make it back to the championship that will be quite impressive. I don't know if they can match up against the MAC once they get there but still it is an accomplishment. Several times I have heard people talking about what a weak league the MVAC is but I think that Springfield's success along with McDonald and Western Reserve who both have made deep playoff runs really debunks that idea. I wonder if Springfield will keep it going next year. I know they lose some key players but there seems to be some juniors on their roster and of course their QB unless he declares for the draft early! Maybe some of their fans can enlighten us. Winning region 21 3 years on a row would be quite an accomplishment.

Thanks, very helpful. If Springfield can win and make it back to the championship that will be quite impressive. I don't know if they can match up against the MAC once they get there but still it is an accomplishment. Several times I have heard people talking about what a weak league the MVAC is but I think that Springfield's success along with McDonald and Western Reserve who both have made deep playoff runs really debunks that idea. I wonder if Springfield will keep it going next year. I know they lose some key players but there seems to be some juniors on their roster and of course their QB unless he declares for the draft early! Maybe some of their fans can enlighten us. Winning region 21 3 years on a row would be quite an accomplishment.

I think they have a better shot this year than last if they make it. Last years Anna team was unreal, they beat Coldwater (who is likely to be in the title game this year) 49-8.

I think the MVAC is probably about average. The bottom 5 teams were really really bad in 2017 and 2018 but they have improved a lot the last 2 years. Springfields success the last 2 years is well know but often overlooked now is their 2018 team was really really good but missed the playoffs at 9-1. McDonald has been to the regional semi's 2 of the last 3 years and the other year they lost to the D7 runner-ups in OT. McDonald got really unlucky moving down to D7 one year too late- had the 2018 team been in D7 they very likely would have won R25 and definitely would have had a shot against Trimble in the semi's though I do not think they would have beat McComb who was champs. WR has consistently put out solid playoff caliber squads since the MVAC started in 2017.

Lisbon and Southern won a joint state championship. Lisbon had many Southern players that were recruited by Coach T for that team.

I can't officially verify actual recruiting took place (wink wink), but I can confirm that the 1995 Lisbon team had several kids from Southern play BIG roles for them that year! I know because I was in high school at C-View at the time. However I do remember that Southern was having some issues at the school with a possible teachers strike (can't remember if a strike ever did happen, but I know it was close), so it isn't surprising that some kids went to a neighboring school. The same thing happened in 1988 when Columbiana had a strike. I remember a few kids went to Leetonia that year to play football. That was the first year that C-View stopped being a doormat in football as they went 9-1 and won a share of the league with Lisbon, ironically beating Leetonia in the final week on a last minute TD to secure a share of the title. The following year in 1989, East Palestine joined the TCL, followed by Columbiana leaving the ICL for the TCL in 1991.