Mentor Cardinals Football 2020

A 2021 schedule of St Ignatius (their class of 2022 is loaded according to their alum), St Eds (always good), Medina (their class of 2022 is loaded), Euclid, Solon, Strongsville, potentially Avon, plus whatever else is on the schedule - yikes. Mentor will have a dynamite national defensive end in 2021/2022, but this schedule could be incredibly overwhelming in the post-Kipp (and post-Triv) era. Due to their previous dominance, Mentor will have a hard time filling out the rest of their schedule still. So you can imagine another tough game will likely be added. 2021 has the potential to be the most challenging schedule in program history.

I share this concern about the 2021 schedule because I have no idea who the next QB will be after Kipp. At Mentor, we usually know the "next guy" by the time "THE guy" is a senior. Sometimes we know sooner than that. It happened with Trubisky, Krizancic, Tatarunas, and Kipp. By the time they were freshman, the hype was present and we knew what was coming. Until I hear about the "next" guy, I'm going to be pretty concerned about the success in 2021. The potential brutal schedule just magnifies it. If I'm Gray/Cassella, I'm doing my best to try and get some freebies and/or harbin cows on that 2021 schedule.

Last edited:
It is possible, though incredibly unlikely that St Ignatius is already booked in 2021 for Weeks 2-5. I am very confident that Mentor would move the game to fit in Avon. It makes too much sense for them. I know you would be happy to get Avon on the schedule...but is Avon eager to schedule a big boy like Mentor? If they are reading the writing on the wall, I think they should speculate that Mentor of 2021/2022 will not be quite as formidable as they have been lately. I mean, they might be like 85% of what they were...which is still pretty good. But it's not like this is a guaranteed loss for Avon or something.
Avon would definitely schedule Mentor if they can find a deal that works for both. Avon opens with Brunswick in 2021, and they are trending up IMO. I believe Glenville is the Week 3 that year, but they are not the Glenville of the glory years.

It will be interesting to see if Gray can keep the program at the heights it has reached under Triv. Triv is a hall of famer.

I’m kind of confused why you want to play public schools that are worse than you? How does that help your program and get you ready for Iggy and Ed’s in the playoffs??

I’m surprised Mentor doesn’t try to schedule some out of state powerhouses since they have so much trouble finding teams in Ohio to play them.

At this point, I imagine that St Ignatius could be pretty flexible in 2021 and especially 2022. As things stand, Mentor will only have 5 league games in 2021. St Eds is listed in Week 1 in Arbiter. St Ignatius will be on the schedule, but it could be moved to any week that is available in Weeks 2-5. A home and home with Avon in Week 2 would be great for both programs. Considering Mentor's new coach is an Avon graduate, I think this is a no-brainer. I would be pretty surprised if they don't work something out. If Avon remains at the level they have been for the last ten years, I think those games are much closer to 50/50 than outsiders would assume. The only way I give Mentor a clear advantage is if they have great QB play. I haven't heard or noticed any promising current 8th, 9th, or 10th graders ready to step up in the post-Kipp era.

For the last twenty or so seasons, Mentor has good QB play in all but one (2009). In at least half of those seasons, it wasn't just good QB play - it was elite QB play. How will Mentor do without that kind of talent behind center?.That remains to be seen.
St Eds looks to be in week 3 in arbiter for 2021. It's the only game on there on September 10. They are week 3 this season on September 11

I agree Iggy could move. Eds could possibly move too. Right now we have Berea in week 8 the next few years. A private school or 2 could move to later in the season if we don't have more than 5 league games.

Still hoping some teams come into the gcc. Even if mentor stayed great in football its just one sport. Many teams can compete with at least half the other programs in football. Great overall sports league

Avon would definitely schedule Mentor if they can find a deal that works for both. Avon opens with Brunswick in 2021, and they are trending up IMO. I believe Glenville is the Week 3 that year, but they are not the Glenville of the glory years.

It will be interesting to see if Gray can keep the program at the heights it has reached under Triv. Triv is a hall of famer.
Brunswick has been beyond awful lately. Glenville is way down. I wouldn't use either of those as a trend of scheduling up to programs like the privates or Mentor or PC etc

Id welcome Avon. Solid public school program and a fresh opponent. Since our coach is an Avon grad as cardz stated , I hope it happens

I would love to see Avon playing Mentor every year. 2 of the most solid programs in Ohio in their classifications. Plus I get the feeling Elder is the type of coach that wants to play good competition. Then you factor in the new Mentor coach is an Avon grad. This is a no brainer if they can fit in in. Book it baby!!

Brunswick has been beyond awful lately. Glenville is way down. I wouldn't use either of those as a trend of scheduling up to programs like the privates or Mentor or PC etc

Id welcome Avon. Solid public school program and a fresh opponent. Since our coach is an Avon grad as cardz stated , I hope it happens
Neither are up to Mentor’s level, but I keep hearing Brunswick is trending up. I hope so. Glenville isn’t the Glenville of old, so I don’t think Mentor in that Week 2 would be an overload. Hopefully they can get it done. It’s a straight shot highway drive for each.

I would love to see Avon playing Mentor every year. 2 of the most solid programs in Ohio in their classifications. Plus I get the feeling Elder is the type of coach that wants to play good competition. Then you factor in the new Mentor coach is an Avon grad. This is a no brainer if they can fit in in. Book it baby!!
I believe Elder is like that. I know when he was at Perry he missed out on the playoffs I believe twice when his teams were 8-2

I’m kind of confused why you want to play public schools that are worse than you? How does that help your program and get you ready for Iggy and Ed’s in the playoffs??

Really? You don’t think that scheduling St Ignatius and St Edward is the regular season is enough to help the program get ready for...St Ignatius and St Edward in the playoffs? Adding Avon is somewhat risky, but a win is a huge harbin get. Makes a ton of sense to schedule them. Mentor has a hard time finding opponents, so if there is a NEO program out there willing to schedule - why not? Worry about Massillon’s schedule. It’s not like every game on their schedule is intended to help prepare them to win a state title.

An article on Ian Kipp’s stalled recruiting. It’s no different than anyone else around the country. In the end, I have a feeling that a MAC school will be the final destination. I wonder how much Floriea being at Kent will have an impact on Kipp’s decision. I wouldn't be surprised if Kent is where he goes unless Kipp gets a Big Ten offer.

While we're talking about recruiting, the other player on the roster with DI offers is Class of 2023 DE Brenan Vernon. Earlier in the week he picked up an offer from Michigan State. This is in addition to Michigan, Notre Dame, and Kentucky. Offers from Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson are likely to come sooner or later. While QB gets a lot of the attention at Mentor (and rightfully so), defensive end has been a position of strength for the program. From 2005-2022, Mentor has had a DI scholarship player at defensive end every year except for 2014 and 2015. Brady DeMell (2005-06, Navy), Ben Pike (2007-08, Toledo/Eastern Michigan), Tom Strobel (2009-11, Michigan), Kent Berger (2012-13, Ohio), Noah Potter (2016-2018, Ohio State), and Vernon (2019-2022).

Really? You don’t think that scheduling St Ignatius and St Edward is the regular season is enough to help the program get ready for...St Ignatius and St Edward in the playoffs? Adding Avon is somewhat risky, but a win is a huge harbin get. Makes a ton of sense to schedule them. Mentor has a hard time finding opponents, so if there is a NEO program out there willing to schedule - why not? Worry about Massillon’s schedule. It’s not like every game on their schedule is intended to help prepare them to win a state title.
Sorry I was under the impression that you were suggesting replacing Ed’s or Iggy so as to not have to play them twice a year. Adding an Avon to the current schedule is a whole different story

Sorry I was under the impression that you were suggesting replacing Ed’s or Iggy so as to not have to play them twice a year. Adding an Avon to the current schedule is a whole different story
Indeed. We have 4 out of conference games this year since shaker left the gcc. We will have 5 starting in 2021 if nobody else joins the current 6 member GCC. They are seeking applications for expansion until May 15

If we indeed have 5 OOC games going forward , I hope we can move Iggy or eds or both to week 4 or later. Easier to schedule in first 3 weeks even though that has still been difficult for us lately

Indeed. We have 4 out of conference games this year since shaker left the gcc. We will have 5 starting in 2021 if nobody else joins the current 6 member GCC. They are seeking applications for expansion until May 15

If we indeed have 5 OOC games going forward , I hope we can move Iggy or eds or both to week 4 or later. Easier to schedule in first 3 weeks even though that has still been difficult for us lately
I love the idea of adding Avon. Maybe look at Erie Prep or Erie McDowell. Prep is usually a very strong team and McDowell is a huge school with a decent program that would be good Harbin points.

On a side note, why hasn't Mentor played any away games against Glenville at Collinwood, Shaw or Case? (those stadiums aren't that far from Glenville High School) or any Saturday afternoon games at Bump Taylor Field? Avon's JV team played Glenville's JV a few years ago. I know that the first two stadiums aren't in the best of neighborhoods, and Glenville's stadium doesn't have lights. I believe that every time the Cardinals have played the 'Ville, they've played against them at home. Does Mentor offer Glenville more money to come to their field or something like that?

On a side note, why hasn't Mentor played any away games against Glenville at Collinwood, Shaw or Case? (those stadiums aren't that far from Glenville High School) or any Saturday afternoon games at Bump Taylor Field? Avon's JV team played Glenville's JV a few years ago. I know that the first two stadiums aren't in the best of neighborhoods, and Glenville's stadium doesn't have lights. I believe that every time the Cardinals have played the 'Ville, they've played against them at home. Does Mentor offer Glenville more money to come to their field or something like that?
We don't play Glenville anymore. They ran away.
But yes they got more to come to our place in the past. And yeah I have no desire to go to dumpster fire areas like you described. Many teams wont play Glenville there. It isn't just Mentor.

Shaker can go play there if they want. It won't be much different than many places they'll see in the LEL after fleeing the GCC

We don't play Glenville anymore. They ran away.
But yes they got more to come to our place in the past. And yeah I have no desire to go to dumpster fire areas like you described. Many teams wont play Glenville there. It isn't just Mentor.

Shaker can go play there if they want. It won't be much different than many places they'll see in the LEL after fleeing the GCC

In all seriousness, I'm surprised that Shaker hasn't played against Glenville since the late 90s. And my senior year, Shaker played against Shaw at 5pm instead of the usual 7pm, but played at Collinwood the year before under the lights. I will say this, Shaw is definitely a step down in competition.

Glenville makes their money on OOC road games. They don’t want home games outside of Senate play.

Avon’s JV played Glenville because neither teams varsity opponents that week had a JV team, but yes...they played it in Cleveland.

MaxPreps unveiled their "Dozen Difference Making QB's" across the Great Lakes Region (Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana). Ian Kipp made the list which is quite impressive when you consider there are probably 4,000 starting QB's across these states. Two other Ohio QB's made the list including NEO's Joey Labas (Brecksville). Vote for Ian!

Kipp's stats are impressive through two years: 3,525 passing yards and 32 TD's along with 1,449 rushing yards and 25 rushing scores. Short of injury, Kipp should easo;u pass 5,000 career passing yards and 2,000 career rushing yards. No Mentor QB has done that. Trubisky is light years ahead of him in passing yards (over 9,000), but Kipp has a shot to do something special too. Unlike some of his talented predecessors, Kipp played in a more run-oriented offense due to some talented linemen and RB Brian Trobel - probably the best back that Triv ever coached. If Kipp was throwing to Fritts, Krizancic, and Daugherty this season (like Trubisky did his senior year) - I think Kipp would have a strong Mr. Football campaign. He might do so anyway thanks to his reputation.

MaxPreps unveiled their "Dozen Difference Making QB's" across the Great Lakes Region (Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana). Ian Kipp made the list which is quite impressive when you consider there are probably 4,000 starting QB's across these states. Two other Ohio QB's made the list including NEO's Joey Labas (Brecksville). Vote for Ian!

Kipp's stats are impressive through two years: 3,525 passing yards and 32 TD's along with 1,449 rushing yards and 25 rushing scores. Short of injury, Kipp should easo;u pass 5,000 career passing yards and 2,000 career rushing yards. No Mentor QB has done that. Trubisky is light years ahead of him in passing yards (over 9,000), but Kipp has a shot to do something special too. Unlike some of his talented predecessors, Kipp played in a more run-oriented offense due to some talented linemen and RB Brian Trobel - probably the best back that Triv ever coached. If Kipp was throwing to Fritts, Krizancic, and Daugherty this season (like Trubisky did his senior year) - I think Kipp would have a strong Mr. Football campaign. He might do so anyway thanks to his reputation.

I would guess Kipp will have 1000 yards rushing this season with Riley Coughlin being the workhorse at RB with around 1200. Junior Evan Harper could be the backup RB, but if he grew much taller than the 6'-1" he was listed at last season, he may switch to WR to pair with Hutch Baird. Nick Farley will compete for carries as a smaller tailback.

Eric Frantz, current editor as MaxPreps following a career as major contributor to JJHuddle/Ohio High Magazine, compiled his list of the top ten Mentor football players over the last decade. Privately, during this lockdown I have been working on my own list of the top 20 of the last 20 years. I am going to try and complete it and have it ready at some point to share this summer. Frantz has a solid list for an outsider IMO. I might not perfectly agree, but his group of ten are certainly all deserving. The biggest names not on the list are Eddie Daugherty and Luke Floriea.

Trubisky at #1...a no doubt about it selection.

I am a little surprised Kipp is on the list. For one, he still has a senior season to go. For two, his sophomore season was rather ordinary (if not below average) compared to Mentor QB play of the last 20 years. It's not a slight on Kipp. For one, he was just a sophomore. Two, he was injured and missed the last few weeks of the regular season. Three, he was a game manager and runner by design due to his own youth/inexperience, the strength of the offensive line, Brian Trobel, and Kipp's own athleticism and running ability. Unlike Abbott, Trubisky, and Tatarunas before him - Kipp wasn't asked to carry as much of the offensive load as a sophomore.

Kipp's junior year was incredibly impressive though. For the record, I think Kipp can put together a senior year that could put his resume as easily a top ten player over the past decade and possibly the 3rd best QB at Mentor in the past 20 years. That would be saying something.

We know that HS football is hardly a lock to happen. But even if it does (fingers crossed), you have to wonder how games against out of state (or even out of the country) will happen. Mentor is scheduled to play Canada's Football North in Week 1. Will that game happen? Considering we are talking about crossing country lines, it can get complicated.

I'm hoping Mentor is proactive rather than reactive to this. If not, they could end up with a bye in Week 1. Even if they don't back out of the game yet, I hope Mentor could find a mutual "wink-wink" arrangement with another Ohio team that could be in the same boat. Teams that are scheduled to play out of state teams in Week 1 include Hilliard Davidson, Olentangy Liberty, Pickerington North, Boardman, Fitch, Hoban, St Xavier, and Walsh Jesuit. It would be nice if the game could be at Mentor, but my hunch is that in order to sweeten the deal - most of these teams would require Mentor to come to them.

I’m waiting for the number crunchers to see what will happen when Ed’s and Ignatius have 6 games and the Mentor and Solon type schools have 9 or 10 games scheduled.

If that is the case, Mentor better jump on it quickly. Walsh Jesuit is the only team I mentioned that is playing a Canadian team in Week 1. Walsh head coach Nick Alexander spent three years as an assistant for Triv. Most of the coaching staff at Mentor were there when Alexander was there last. Hopefully this game becomes a reality. Even though Mentor could possibly be better off with a bye if Walsh goes 1-9 or 0-10 again (as they have done three times since 2015), I would still rather see them play a game Week 1...especially if they can get the game at home.

I know there is a ton of uncertainty, but I'm being optimistic that the season will start (with or without fans...not sure) on time. If it does, Mentor better have a backup plan. Walsh seems like a very natural addition due to the circumstances.

If that is the case, Mentor better jump on it quickly. Walsh Jesuit is the only team I mentioned that is playing a Canadian team in Week 1. Walsh head coach Nick Alexander spent three years as an assistant for Triv. Most of the coaching staff at Mentor were there when Alexander was there last. Hopefully this game becomes a reality. Even though Mentor could possibly be better off with a bye if Walsh goes 1-9 or 0-10 again (as they have done three times since 2015), I would still rather see them play a game Week 1...especially if they can get the game at home.

I know there is a ton of uncertainty, but I'm being optimistic that the season will start (with or without fans...not sure) on time. If it does, Mentor better have a backup plan. Walsh seems like a very natural addition due to the circumstances.
I can't see high school being played with no fans. They don't have a tv contract beyond the pennies at spectrum. And I can't see kids being out there playing a physical game if the schools aren't even letting classes go on in person

I’m waiting for the number crunchers to see what will happen when Ed’s and Ignatius have 6 games and the Mentor and Solon type schools have 9 or 10 games scheduled.

That is a very possible, and unfortunate reality. It would stink for the kids to work so hard and then find themselves unable to get more than 6 or 7 games. If the entire state is in the same boat (with no state crossover games allowed), there will be a lot of schools scrambling for games. Out of desperation, you might see a team willing to do a one year deal with Eds/Ignatius that wouldn't normally do it.

When I took away all of the four OOS games with St Eds, their final harbin score was about the same as it was with all ten games. Their Ohio only record was 5-1. St Ignatius would've dropped a lot though, as they won only two in state games last year - and one of them was against Moeller (2-8 record). Their Ohio only record was just 2-3. Two of their top three harbin wins were against OOS teams.

I can't see high school being played with no fans. They don't have a tv contract beyond the pennies at spectrum. And I can't see kids being out there playing a physical game if the schools aren't even letting classes go on in person

True. Having no fans just isn't going to work for HS. But are we three months away from a full HS stadium on a Friday night being permitted? I hope so, but it is pretty uncertain.

Could HS football function with "social distance limited seating" (let's say 33-50% full) to start the season like college football is exploring? The majority of school athletic budgets count on HS football revenue to support the other sports in the budget. While the majority of HS football games in Ohio don't routinely draw much more than 50% capacity anyways - there are exceptions (like Massillon, Steubenville, etc.) that build a large part of their sports budget on the near capacity crowds for 6-8 home games a year. Even the average HS needs those 5 home games of revenue to support the rest of the sports. Otherwise, schools will have to dip into the general fund, ask for a new tax revenue, or make the painful decision to cancel some winter and/or spring sports even if deemed safe to return. Just like the OHSAA is in jeopardy without HS football revenue, schools' athletic budgets will become incredibly tight without ticket sales.