ITCL upper and Lower tier what does everyone think

So way to cut her some slack. Lol
I believe she and her sister were a part of that pretty darn good run you spoke of. can't argue with the rough start just found the cutting some slack somewhat untrue.
Building a program takes time and doesn't happen overnight.

Last edited:
It sounds like McDonald will have a rough year on the girls side. However, I don't always blame it on the coaches, To some degree it is there fault, and to another degree, they can't help which classes are better than others. Every school deals with the Small Public School Syndrome, where classes just aren't as good as others, or kids don't really care. Trust me I see it everyday. I have nothing to agree or disagree with anything that was said, you both know way more than I do, but I wish them the best, and I hope they turn things around, and at least compete in games. It's amazing how much youth programs can really effect your program down the road, and you can see which teams, have a youth program that are beneficial to the program as a whole.
- Sorry for stepping in on conversation, I just felt the need to throw my 2 cents in there, whether it was worth anything or not lol.

Anyways. Who does everyone have tomorrow? I stole this from the boys forum, I'd imagine the girls is pretty much the same?
Thoughts? Predictions? Opinions?
Leetonia @ Southern
Sebring @ Lowellville
McDonald @ Western Reserve
Wellsville @ Columbiana

South Range @ Mineral Ridge
East Palestine @ Crestview
Jackson-Milton @ Lisbon
Springfield @ United

upper:
range, crest, lisb and united; the milton lisb game might be interesting

lower:
dont know anything bout souther or leet.. low, wr, and the clippers... when does low and col play.. i will need to go to that game...

upper:
range, crest, lisb and united; the milton lisb game might be interesting

lower:
dont know anything bout souther or leet.. low, wr, and the clippers... when does low and col play.. i will need to go to that game...
Lowellville plays Col. Next Monday the 17th at Col. Should be a good game.

That will be a good one to watch. Hows Wellsville? I know they lost there main scorer from the past few years, and I had to pull teeth to convince someone the other day Lowellville is still the team to beat. They were convinced Wellsville would win the league, and they weren't from Wellsville lol.

That will be a good one to watch. Hows Wellsville? I know they lost there main scorer from the past few years, and I had to pull teeth to convince someone the other day Lowellville is still the team to beat. They were convinced Wellsville would win the league, and they weren't from Wellsville lol.
If they were talking about the boys side of the league I would say they would be talking about a team that has a shoot, In fact I would say it will most likely be between them and McDonald and after watching McDonald I have to go with McDonald. But on the girls side I don't think they will be a contenter this year for the title. I think the two that will contend for the title will be Lowellville and Columbiana. And I am inclined to go with Lowellville as the favorite till someone proves otherwise.

Blue - I'm one of the people, that a team like Lowellville, who has been good year in year out, has to be the favorite until they are totally out of contention, or don't win it. In fact, I wouldnt be shocked if Columbiana and the Rockets split this year. Columbiana is playing very well, they difference between this year and last year are only 2 things. Maturity and Playing as a team What really stood out to me was against Crestview, Columbiana went box and 1 on Harrison. Roncone held her to 10 points, and did a fantastic job, in fact I'd probably make her the MVP of the team thus far. What helps Columbiana is they have 5 or 6 girls that can get you 10-15 points any given night and they aren't forcing shots. In years past it was get it to there best player and let them force up a shot. I really think this Lowellville/Columbiana game will be one to see. I don't know much about Lowellville, who they have or anything like that, but I know they do have some pretty d**n good teams, and know how to play ball.

so do u think columbiana's resurgence is related to "the mosh"?

just like we were talking about mcDonald girls. it all starts with the younger group... love or hate what hammond did he always put a lot of time in the little kids programs. yes it may have been because his kids were/are that age but i do feel he should get a lot of credit for there success...

Blue - I'm one of the people, that a team like Lowellville, who has been good year in year out, has to be the favorite until they are totally out of contention, or don't win it. In fact, I wouldnt be shocked if Columbiana and the Rockets split this year. Columbiana is playing very well, they difference between this year and last year are only 2 things. Maturity and Playing as a team What really stood out to me was against Crestview, Columbiana went box and 1 on Harrison. Roncone held her to 10 points, and did a fantastic job, in fact I'd probably make her the MVP of the team thus far. What helps Columbiana is they have 5 or 6 girls that can get you 10-15 points any given night and they aren't forcing shots. In years past it was get it to there best player and let them force up a shot. I really think this Lowellville/Columbiana game will be one to see. I don't know much about Lowellville, who they have or anything like that, but I know they do have some pretty d**n good teams, and know how to play ball.
One of things Lowellville has going for them is they know how to win. They also are a well balanced team. They have 6 or 7 girls that could on any given night be the leading scorer and they have had 4 or 5 girls either in double figures or close to it in most of their games. Plus their starter all can handle the ball and don't get rattled easily.

Lowellville get to finally play their first home game of this season tonight, against Sebring. Before going on the road again against Columbiana on Monday and Wellsville Thurdays next week.

Columbiana 87 Wellsville 31 Fullum broke school scoring record with 37, and it was very unselfish. I think Clippers had 5 or 6 in double digits.

Physco - I give Hammond a lot of credit for the youth programs, he doesn't even coach at Columbiana and is still helping out the 5th and 6th grade teams. I give him full credit for that by all means. I think what Mosch has done, is got these girls to buy into a system, and a team concept. If you would have watched tonight's game you wouldn't have even known fullum scored 37. No Cherry picking, they rebound, pressure, run, and play together. It's actually fun to watch, and you really start to sit there and think "wow, now this is good basketball" -- So to answer your question, I give Hammond a lot of credit, he did and still does a great job with those younger levels. Mosch has just got these ladies to come in, respond, and play more as a team. If you look at any good public school program, they have a good youth program, and that I think you give Hammond credit for. Now he won't get any praise for the high school teams success this year, but he's had a lot of these kids working on the fundamentals at a young age, which is helping with a lot of there success.

I think monday will be a great game, and speaking to the coaches, they prepare for every game as if it's the big one. It will be exciting to watch!

Correction 80 - 33 And a lot of those points where because wellsville pressed and it was 1 pass and a lay up or 3 on 1.
This game should put rest your acquaintances idea that Wellsville would win the league this year. Monday should be a great game. Not going to make any prediction on this one.

Blue - haha I think it did. Wellsville had 10 team fouls 4 minutes into the game. Columbiana wasn't doing anything special, just getting fast breaks, and making lay ups. They quit pressing before half time, and all it turned into was Rebound - Outlet - 4 girls running the floor and finishing.
I'm actually fairly excited to see this game Monday. As I don't know much about Lowellville other than they're a pretty d**n good team, it should be fun to watch 2 teams who have 5 or 6 girls who can score and play.
I agree with the prediction part, I thought about it last night and I can't say I know who would win or even be biased about it.

I heard Wellsville did not go to the foul line in the first half,any truth? How can that be if a team is pressuring and pressing?

I heard Wellsville did not go to the foul line in the first half,any truth? How can that be if a team is pressuring and pressing?

really a school loses 80-30 and we r going to talk about not getting the calls....

anyway i agree mondays game will be a fun one to watch.. i will be skipping range/lisbon for that 1...

If you know how to run a press correctly and the other team does not have a good press breaker sat up and lack good ball handlers it happens. I have not seen Wellsville play this year. But last years team did not handle presses very well.

They did not in the first half. However, they only got about 7 or 8 shots off and 4 of those where from Baseline out of bounds plays. Columbiana likes to pressure the ball, but they did not foul. A LOT of Wellsville turnovers came from them inbounding the ball, trying to throw it across the court, and one of the Columbiana girls, picking it off. I'm not slighting anyone, but Wellsville threw a lot of weak passes from 15-20 feet away and the Columbiana girls just jumped the passing lane. Any shot Wellsville got was from 15 feet and out. Part of this was because of good pressure, and the other part was due to Wellsville strictly looking for an outside shot.
Blue is correct, Columbiana's press wasn't anything to brag about, they just played fundamental defense, and exploited wellsville not having a dominant guard. Columbiana still had 6 team fouls at the end of the half, so it's not like they werent getting anything called against them. Wellsville just didnt look to attack the hoop.

rough start for coach Dolsak in McD. Cant have 5 of your first 6 games at home and get blown out in every game. I understand they are a young team but from what i hear, youth is the least of their problems right now! Of course you have to give the first time coach a little slack i guess but the kind of basketball they are playing right now does not help the future of the program. Do you think the girls at the Jr high level, more importantly their parents, get excited when they watch the product being put out there right now?

Just throwing a thought out there, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to have the 2 freshman girls that start varsity for McDonald play one quarter of JV. To me, there is no downside to this at all. It would help the JV team run the offensive better and get some plays working since both freshmen are guards. It would also give the 2 freshmen a chance to gain some confidence and fine tune their game. They are both good players for freshmen and, of course, will only get better, but turnovers and dealing with the press have been the main problems as I see it for the varsity. Plus, the JV does not have a point guard that is able to consistently find the person that is open because they still have that tendency to dribble with their head down.

Just throwing a thought out there, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to have the 2 freshman girls that start varsity for McDonald play one quarter of JV. To me, there is no downside to this at all. It would help the JV team run the offensive better and get some plays working since both freshmen are guards. It would also give the 2 freshmen a chance to gain some confidence and fine tune their game. They are both good players for freshmen and, of course, will only get better, but turnovers and dealing with the press have been the main problems as I see it for the varsity. Plus, the JV does not have a point guard that is able to consistently find the person that is open because they still have that tendency to dribble with their head down.

I agree with you 100% a freshman should be playing at least 1 Q JV no matter how good they are. First the more time you play the better you get, the game they play in JV will be different than varsity because they will be the stud on the court, it keeps them playing with girls they will be playing with in 3 years and its also a way to keep them grounded a bit with ego's

Range played M ridge last week, no JV, there varsity team is way down... they said they have been neglecting there younger program. i cant see how that happens..

Dont most schools pay a person to run 5/6th intramural program? let us know what your school does..

I know Columbiana does pay coaches for 5th and 6th grade programs. However, it is up to the head coach or should be atleast to get it started. The JBITCL is a great 2 month tournament, where each school gets to host a weekend of games to make money and let the kids play. I do like the rules, as it teaches the kids fundamentals of basketball, and each kid gets equal playing time. It is also a great feeling to see the officials help the kids on what they did wrong, and why they made the call.
As for what Columbiana does we have 5th and 6th grade girls and boys. They each get 3 days of practice for an hour and a half, and most games are on Sunday. Some are Saturday and those are the JBITCL. Also after the league games are over, they are allowed to get into other Tourny's. I can speak more so for the guys program, but the girls is ran very similar. The practices are nothing more than a lot of fundamental drills, and easy plays for the level they are in. There is a sign up fee, but that fee is mostly to cover the Tournements, and Jersey that they get. All in All I think it's a great program for all the schools that are involved, and it is fun to see how much these kids grow as players and competitors against teams they will see for the majority of there jr high and high school career..

Playing some JV is not a bad idea in principle but may be deemed too risky because of injury. Also it seems to send the wrong message to your upperclassmen who have put in the time over the years and want to try to win some games now! Basically says you are sacrificing any possible success this year to improve in future years. You cant expect 2 varsity starters to play 5 quarters a night and have them be fresh for crunch time in the varsity game. As a coach, how do you explain to your varsity players/parents/fans that you lost a game because your 2 freshman players got outhustled late in the 4th quarter because they were so tired? I have no idea how many varsity players McD has on their team this year but i'm pretty sure those 2 freshman starters play most of the game. So although they are important pieces that need to be developed to have success in the future , it also turns out they are pretty important pieces to this years team as well.

Playing some JV is not a bad idea in principle but may be deemed too risky because of injury. Also it seems to send the wrong message to your upperclassmen who have put in the time over the years and want to try to win some games now! Basically says you are sacrificing any possible success this year to improve in future years. You cant expect 2 varsity starters to play 5 quarters a night and have them be fresh for crunch time in the varsity game. As a coach, how do you explain to your varsity players/parents/fans that you lost a game because your 2 freshman players got outhustled late in the 4th quarter because they were so tired? I have no idea how many varsity players McD has on their team this year but i'm pretty sure those 2 freshman starters play most of the game. So although they are important pieces that need to be developed to have success in the future , it also turns out they are pretty important pieces to this years team as well.

I see your point but I don't think playing one quarter will cause them to be outhustled in the 4th Q. Especially if it is in the first half of the JV game, which I assume it would be. And remember, the one freshman runs cross country and her Dad is the Boys Head CC Coach. :cool:
And as far as costing them a game, I hope I am wrong, but the only teams I see McDonald having a shot at beating are Sebring and Leetonia. They hung with Southern the first time around, so maybe they can get a win there.

I see your point but I don't think playing one quarter will cause them to be outhustled in the 4th Q. Especially if it is in the first half of the JV game, which I assume it would be. And remember, the one freshman runs cross country and her Dad is the Boys Head CC Coach. :cool:
And as far as costing them a game, I hope I am wrong, but the only teams I see McDonald having a shot at beating are Sebring and Leetonia. They hung with Southern the first time around, so maybe they can get a win there.

I dont see many wins out there for the varsity either besides maybe sebring. But you still have to show your players that you are going to put them in the best position to win. As a former runner and basketball player, i can tell you it is not as easy as you think to prepare to play the game. A lot of stretching, etc., goes into a pregame routine. I just see no way they can get properly loosened up and ready to go at 6 pm and then have to shut it down after 15 min only to have to prepare once again at 7:15 for the varsity game. Even though both girls are runners and in decent shape, that preparation will take its toll by the time the 4th quarter of the varsity game rolls around. That was more of my point when i spoke of injuries. Of course it could happen in the game action but id be more worried about the injuries to the body that comes along with the warming up/cooling down/warming up/cooling down. Not easy for the best of athletes.

Lowellville 51- Columbiana 45. Was a very interesting game to say the least. Saw some of the worst officating so far this year. Only one that did a good job all night was the lady. But a win is a win.

Blue you're absolutely right. Columbiana had there chances, just couldnt capitalize. The calls were very inconsistent, and a lot of missed calls for both teams. Still a great game. I have a feeling the next one will be for a share of the title. Blue - are both of these teams in the same district for Tourny's? I know they were last year.

Blue you're absolutely right. Columbiana had there chances, just couldnt capitalize. The calls were very inconsistent, and a lot of missed calls for both teams. Still a great game. I have a feeling the next one will be for a share of the title. Blue - are both of these teams in the same district for Tourny's? I know they were last year.
Yes thye will be playing at South Range again.

Good - I dont know who is all in that bracket, if I remember correctly a lot of the other lower tier teams. We could possibly see this match up 3 times this year.

was a great game. as far as the ref's they did fine... when you have a physical aggressive team like the style columbiana played they tend to let them play more. i was surprised the first half at lowellville having so much trouble with the full court press... also didnt help that one of your leaders picked up her 4th foul in the 2 Q. 2nd half different story.. loweville started breaking the press and more importantly getting quick scores off it... that and the foul troubble in the 3rd Q forced mosh to pull them back some... from the looks of it this col team is built for the in your face pressure. they just dont look comfortable having to play back..

that fresh low played #12 i think... she is a beast... physical on the boards with just enough pizzed off attitude that u want in the post.. you teach her to hit some foul shots (i think she was like 3-15 at the line) and she will be a tough one to stop....

great game played on both sides was a fun one to watch... good job girls