High School Football Rules Misconceptions - 2020 Version (originally posted in 2019)

cincifbfan

Are you still coaching? Send the clips in question to the league assigner or Beau Rugg/Bruce Maurer if you think the rules are being misapplied. Seriously.

And hopefully no high school officials are justifying no-calls with this non-NFHS verbiage.
I am not still coaching; however spent much of my career in CMAC and have sent in very glaring clips of that rule and others way more egregious than the rules mentioned to league assigners and up the line and to no avail. Unfortunately the not power leagues/teams get bottom barrel officials and the response was always essentially along the lines of "sorry, but be happy you had officials at the game. You get what you get." So I eventually gave up and accepted pi$$ poor officiating.

Whenever we played like a GMC, or GWOC, or other good team from a good conference, we were always amazed at how the officiating was improved dramatically!

Mokforce

Team A attempts a FG.
Team B blocks FG.
Team B possesses the ball and starts returning the ball for a TD. The IW was after Team B was returning the ball.

What should have been called?

The officials decided to do a redo. Team A decides to go for it (end of the first half) instead of trying another FG and scores a TD. So at the end of the day it was a 14 point turn around (assuming Team B makes their EP ) because no one was catching the guy returing the FG down the sideline.
The options on this are to redo the entire play and allow A to kick again or to give B the ball where the whistle blew, since they had secured possession, thus ending the kick. If the whistle blows prior to B securing possession, the only option is to redo the play.

zebrastripes

Thought it would be fun to revive this thread with the start of practice for the (hopefully) 2020 season in two days.

Here are the rules changes and points of emphasis for 2020:

Defining Team Designated Representative for Penalty Decisions [1-4-1, 1-4-4 (NEW), 2-32-5, 3-5-2, 10-1-1, 10-1-2, 10-2-4] — Prior to the game, the head coach will notify the referee of the designated representative (coach or player) who will make decisions regarding penalty acceptance or declination.

Halftime Intermission Option Following Weather Delay [3-1-6c EXCEPTION (NEW)] — The halftime intermission may be shortened by mutual agreement of opposing coaches if a weather delay occurs during the last three minutes of the second period.

40-Second Play Clock Clarification [3-6-1a(1)e EXCEPTIONS 2 and 3 (NEW)] — To eliminate a potential timing advantage gained by the defensive team, the rules committee approved the play clock being set to 40 seconds when an officials’ time-out is taken for an injury to a defensive player or a defensive player has an equipment issue.

25-Second Play Clock Clarification [3-6-1a(1)f (NEW)] — Following a legal kick when either team is awarded a new series, the play clock will be set to 25 seconds.

Disconcerting Act Foul and Penalty Reclassified [7-1-9 (NEW), 7-1-9 PENALTY (NEW)] — Disconcerting acts or words by the defense has been reclassified from a unsportsmanlike foul to a disconcerting act foul, and the penalty changed from 15 yards to 5 yards.

Spiking the Ball to Conserve Time (7-5-2e EXCEPTION, TABLE 7-5-2e EXCEPTION, TABLE 7-5e EXCEPTION) — The exception to allow a player to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving the snap, has been expanded to include any player positioned directly behind the center. This exception now includes snaps that are not hand-to-hand.

2020 EDITORIAL CHANGES

NOCSAE Warning Label, 1-3-1d and g, 1-3-1i (NEW), Table 1-7, 2-33-2, 2-41-9, 3-1-6 (NEW), 3-1-7 (NEW), Table 3-1, 3-4-8, 3-4-9 (NEW), 7-2-5a, 7-5-12, Table 7-5, 8-2-4, 9-5-1d, 9-9 PENALTY, 10-4-2 EXCEPTION, 10-5-1j, Penalty Summary, Official Signal 17 (NEW) and 23, Appendix H (NEW), Index

2020 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. Sportsmanship
  2. Intentional Grounding
  3. Ineligible Downfield and Line of Scrimmage Formation

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Spiking the Ball to Conserve Time (7-5-2e EXCEPTION, TABLE 7-5-2e EXCEPTION, TABLE 7-5e EXCEPTION) — The exception to allow a player to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving the snap, has been expanded to include any player positioned directly behind the center. This exception now includes snaps that are not hand-to-hand.
Although I enjoyed watching teams struggle to snap the ball hand-to-hand in the closing seconds of a game that were shotgun only teams, I do think this is a good change to the rule. So many teams are shotgun only or primarily shotgun that it was time to make the change.

zebrastripes

Although I enjoyed watching teams struggle to snap the ball hand-to-hand in the closing seconds of a game that were shotgun only teams, I do think this is a good change to the rule. So many teams are shotgun only or primarily shotgun that it was time to make the change.
And note that if that snap touches the ground and/or is muffed, the allowance to spike the ball is off and it will be a foul for intentional grounding. And in that situation the Referee should start the clock on the ready under Rule 3-4-6.

This will happen often. High school players rushing in crunch time is a perfect recipe for mishandled snaps.

CedarBuck92

And note that if that snap touches the ground and/or is muffed, the allowance to spike the ball is off and it will be a foul for intentional grounding. And in that situation the Referee should start the clock on the ready under Rule 3-4-6.

This will happen often. High school players rushing in crunch time is a perfect recipe for mishandled snaps.
These rules will apply to both High School and JR High correct?