High School Football Rules Misconceptions (originally posted in 2019)

K got moved back 5 yards and no coach questioned why?

Was there a five hard penalty and R did not adjust? No coach for R saw the 15 yard wide neutral zone?

This whole thing makes no sense. Which does not mean that it could not have happened.
Yep...

Moving the ball to the 35 causes 11 players to adjust backwards.....

Would have to be the U. I know that where I am standing I have no idea what line they are kicking from.

K got moved back 5 yards and no coach questioned why?

Was there a five hard penalty and R did not adjust? No coach for R saw the 15 yard wide neutral zone?

This whole thing makes no sense. Which does not mean that it could not have happened.
Kicker asked the ball to be moved to the hash, turned around to look at a coach, then went to the referee at the hash not realizing he was 5 yards back. Kicking team lined up based off of the kicker without questioning it, and no one noticed until after the ball was kicked and the players jumped on it after traveling 12 yards.

It worked out in my team's favor as they got the ball back, but I thought the kick should have just been replayed from the correct point on the field

Kicker asked the ball to be moved to the hash, turned around to look at a coach, then went to the referee at the hash not realizing he was 5 yards back. Kicking team lined up based off of the kicker without questioning it, and no one noticed until after the ball was kicked and the players jumped on it after traveling 12 yards.

It worked out in my team's favor as they got the ball back, but I thought the kick should have just been replayed from the correct point on the field
The kicker "asked the ball to be moved"?

Was it already on a tee?

The kicker "asked the ball to be moved"?

Was it already on a tee?
The kicker asked if he could move to the hash, ref said yes and the kicker looked at one of the coaches or toward the sideline when the ref moved to the 35. The kicker turned around then and went and set up his tee where the ref was at on the hash of the 35 yard line

The kicker asked if he could move to the hash, ref said yes and the kicker looked at one of the coaches or toward the sideline when the ref moved to the 35. The kicker turned around then and went and set up his tee where the ref was at on the hash of the 35 yard line
Was the ball on the tee?

I can’t remember if it was already set up or not
The reason why I ask is that once the ball on on the tee, the spot of the kick is designated. It must be kicked from that spot. If a player then moves the ball/tee, a free kick infraction has occurred. The penalty is 5 yards.

This would appear to help answer some questions about this play as the official would have no reason to touch the ball once it's down on a tee. Now, this still leaves the question as to why the receiving team wasn't moved up 5 yards. ( maybe the official tried to move them.... and maybe the officials screwed that up ;) ) but it certainly gives us a reason why the official moved the ball to the 35 as you indicated in your original post.

Then again, maybe the ball was not on the tee and we are right back to where we started. ;)