• Sycamore (8-16)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown (7-16)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Colerain (1-22)

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After watching the GMC's top teams get destroyed by the GCL-S, I have to ask what happened to the talent level here? Last year's teams were way more competitive. Is this a trend or just a one off for the GMC? East getting taken down by LaSalle and Hamilton's abysmal showing against Elder are just a few examples. Oak Hills is one of the larger schools in the state. Mason looks like the next team to get whacked. Based on the number of posts on the GMC 20-21- thread you would think this league was a hotbed of boys high school basketball. GBM

After watching the GMC's top teams get destroyed by the GCL-S, I have to ask what happened to the talent level here? Last year's teams were way more competitive. Is this a trend or just a one off for the GMC? East getting taken down by LaSalle and Hamilton's abysmal showing against Elder are just a few examples. Oak Hills is one of the larger schools in the state. Mason looks like the next team to get whacked. Based on the number of posts on the GMC 20-21- thread you would think this league was a hotbed of boys high school basketball. GBM

not really sure if judging the talent level in a league or it being a "hotbed of boys HS Bball" by the number of posts it has on Yappi is the best way to do that.

GMC has plenty of talent. just because the GCL got them in the tourney this post-season doesn't change that.

still plenty of talent in both leagues.

Lol

Parents complaining and a weak AD.
Funny story was at a local wing restaurant last Friday and a parent came in all she did was complain about Kerr , and him not getting kids into college for basketball she said and I quote we ran him out of there for that reason only . I asked her what grade her son was in she said a junior I asked if he starts she said no gets 6-8 minutes game on varsity I told her I guess new coach is getting fired as well because your son is not getting a D-1 or 2 scholarship by only playing 6-8 minutes a game

Troll much?

One the the dumbest posts I’ve seen in a while. Agree, it must be a troll because nobody is the clueless.

One the the dumbest posts I’ve seen in a while. Agree, it must be a troll because nobody is the clueless.
I honestly have to agree with him. GMC has not looked very good this year and not a lot of overall talent. In the playoffs in almost any sport, a GCL school knocks them out the first time they see them

I honestly have to agree with him. GMC has not looked very good this year and not a lot of overall talent. In the playoffs in almost any sport, a GCL school knocks them out the first time they see them
We all know that competition levels ebb and flow. Float on over to the gcl-s thread with whatever what’s her name is.

Last edited:
Do you also agree with him that the overall talent of a conference can be judged by the amount of online discussion by their fans?

Per Mike Dyer - Tim Austing to be named Sycamore coach pending board approval. This is a great choice and it seems to have come from the AD - as Harden was the Fairfield AD when Austing was the coach there.

Per Mike Dyer - Tim Austing to be named Sycamore coach pending board approval. This is a great choice and it seems to have come from the AD - as Harden was the Fairfield AD when Austing was the coach there.

The hire came from the AD with one specific parent's blessing, I'm sure. Either way, its a good hire. I remember some of those Austing teams at FF and they played smart and hard. That Final Four run was pretty cool. I was at the overtime game vs Middletown down at Cintas. Perhaps Austing will actually get the Sycamore kids to play hard.

The hire came from the AD with one specific parent's blessing, I'm sure. Either way, its a good hire. I remember some of those Austing teams at FF and they played smart and hard. That Final Four run was pretty cool. I was at the overtime game vs Middletown down at Cintas. Perhaps Austing will actually get the Sycamore kids to play hard.
I was at Wade E Miller gym when that FF team played Middletown. It was one of the best games that I had seen in a while. Both crowds were completely into the game. The teams played so hard, smart, and hustled their butts off. There was no crap being talked and even the reffing was good. I emailed both coaches that next week.

People warned me about ever getting on this site and it was due to people such as yourself. People like you just have to be heard. The jealousy of the success of others runs so deep in you that you have to try to find a way to make yourself feel better. It is really quite pathetic. The funny part is that you continue to mention "one parent" and "wally" and it just makes you look so inferior and scared. You need to have something else to do other than hold grudges against people over high school basketball. I apologize for being so harsh, but I find it fascinating that a person, who I assume is an adult, could care so much about these types of things. I would really appreciate if you would share why you have such strong and hard opinions. Please show the courage to at least share. Do not fret, you will still be able to go on, like many cowards on theses types of forums, without revealing your true identity....wilbur.

People warned me about ever getting on this site and it was due to people such as yourself. People like you just have to be heard. The jealousy of the success of others runs so deep in you that you have to try to find a way to make yourself feel better. It is really quite pathetic. The funny part is that you continue to mention "one parent" and "wally" and it just makes you look so inferior and scared. You need to have something else to do other than hold grudges against people over high school basketball. I apologize for being so harsh, but I find it fascinating that a person, who I assume is an adult, could care so much about these types of things. I would really appreciate if you would share why you have such strong and hard opinions. Please show the courage to at least share. Do not fret, you will still be able to go on, like many cowards on theses types of forums, without revealing your true identity....wilbur.

no axe to grind, im just a follower of Cincinnati hs ball and will call things out as I see them. Look the reality is, sycamore is in an unusual spot and I don’t hold any grudges. Just pointing out the unusual influence that one parent seems to have over the direction of the program. If thats how you see it, that I hold a grudge, then That is not my intent. I’m just a guy who likes to discuss high school ball and truthfully dont have many in my circle to discuss with. Thats why I come on here every so often. That’s it.

no axe to grind, im just a follower of Cincinnati hs ball and will call things out as I see them. Look the reality is, sycamore is in an unusual spot and I don’t hold any grudges. Just pointing out the unusual influence that one parent seems to have over the direction of the program. If thats how you see it, that I hold a grudge, then That is not my intent. I’m just a guy who likes to discuss high school ball and truthfully dont have many in my circle to discuss with. Thats why I come on here every so often. That’s it.
Do not spend too much of your time explaining yourself to someone like that.

Have a great week.

Whatever the case over at Sycamore - where's the talent pool???? The Southerland kid seems to be their only bright spot from the stats and he transferred in. Haven't seen or heard much about them "competing" in the GMC for years. Just checked they've had 2 winning seasons the last 10 years not sure what their pipeline looks like but this is definitely a rebuild for Austing and it could be him trying to build a skyscraper out of sand with high tide in the middle of a rainstorm. Where is the talent??? Fairfield has always had a pipeline of talent and athletes so when he took over that program it was just a buy in and culture change. This is a one man band with the CHCA transfer and he'll be a senior next year unless they get some GCL kids to come back home it'll be tough. Who knows though next year seems to be a down year for the GMC and from the looks of it East and Fairfield will be the favorites East returning all but 1 of their guys and Fairfield returning all of its players. However, Sycamore should win more than 1 or 2 conference games next year that's sure, so that will definitely be a move in the right direction.

Please don't attack me BigMoeFan11. I'm just a guy that loves watching and talking GMC.

God Bless!

Whatever the case over at Sycamore - where's the talent pool???? The Southerland kid seems to be their only bright spot from the stats and he transferred in. Haven't seen or heard much about them "competing" in the GMC for years. Just checked they've had 2 winning seasons the last 10 years not sure what their pipeline looks like but this is definitely a rebuild for Austing and it could be him trying to build a skyscraper out of sand with high tide in the middle of a rainstorm. Where is the talent??? Fairfield has always had a pipeline of talent and athletes so when he took over that program it was just a buy in and culture change. This is a one man band with the CHCA transfer and he'll be a senior next year unless they get some GCL kids to come back home it'll be tough. Who knows though next year seems to be a down year for the GMC and from the looks of it East and Fairfield will be the favorites East returning all but 1 of their guys and Fairfield returning all of its players. However, Sycamore should win more than 1 or 2 conference games next year that's sure, so that will definitely be a move in the right direction.

Please don't attack me BigMoeFan11. I'm just a guy that loves watching and talking GMC.

God Bless!
From looking at gmc stats, everyone who mattered for Syc will be back next season, like I said in a previous post its not a matter of talent in my opinion. Those kids don’t play hard. If not for the two Hamilton forfeits sycamore would have been dead last in the gmc which is not acceptable when you have a D1 kid. Austing is a top notch coach and I expect sycamore to be much improved next season...provided parents/politics don’t derail the whole thing. Hopefully Austing knows what he is walking into in that regards

Will Austing be teaching at Sycamore as well?

I would imagine that this move is more about building some longevity in the role than it is about making them a threat in the GMC. He will make them a respectable program, but they’re not going to be a city or conference powerhouse.

I’m sure he’s good buddies with Dattilo and Austing will have them back to respectability, just like Dattilo did. But neither are the type where they’re going to go out and recruit kids to come to the program. But they will get the best out of the kids that are there.

sycamore kids did play hard. they're just not that talented and they were young this year. Southerland is the first legit D1 talent they've had in like 4-5 years. smallest school in the league - by sheer lack of quantity, the dudes that walk through the halls of those other schools just AREN'T walking through Sycamore. Austing has his work cut out for him but from what i hear, he's up for it.

Will Austing be teaching at Sycamore as well?

I would imagine that this move is more about building some longevity in the role than it is about making them a threat in the GMC. He will make them a respectable program, but they’re not going to be a city or conference powerhouse.

I’m sure he’s good buddies with Dattilo and Austing will have them back to respectability, just like Dattilo did. But neither are the type where they’re going to go out and recruit kids to come to the program. But they will get the best out of the kids that are there.

he will have a job teaching in the Social Studies dept, i believe.

he was Dattilo's OC on the football staff before taking the head boys bball at FF.

He will also be a highly respected piece of the Sycamore community. Both are solid people.

You would want your son to be coached by either of them, regardless of the results.

I really appreciate your response. As I have begun following things on this site, I see so many that seem to only be looking for an outlet to criticize with what seems to be unproven opinions. I have family who have been in coaching and school administration for decades and my experience tells me that when people make statements about parents etc, they are looking at easy targets. I am not a Sycamore alum or tied at all, only live near and so I choose to follow them. I have (in the past) watch many games and the parents/teachers I have spoken with have never complained about people controlling anything, actually only about lack of leadership within the program which sounds like that it being taken care of. I apologize if I came off as overly critical myself. I think we are both on here for the same reasons. I am a lifelong Cincinnati guy who loves basketball and though I have witness many parents who are "out of their minds" I have not seen that in this case. Just my two cents as well.

GMC Returning 2020-21 Season Points Per Game and Top Returning Scorers for each team for 2021-22:

Fairfield -- 48.1 ppg (Woods 16.1, Crim 15.1; Coney 6.2, Rogers 6.5, Bronston 3.2)

Sycamore -- 45.4 ppg (B. Southerland 17.3, B. Darbyshire 8.3, Hall 6.1, Bolden 6.0, G. Darbyshire 4.8, A. Southerland 1.9)

Lakota East -- 43.9 ppg (Kronauge 11.0, Peck 9.2, Coles 8.0, Kenrich 6.0; Poppe 4.6, Spicer 2.7, Adkins 2.4)

Hamilton -- 31.3 ppg (Ishmael 10.4, Tolentino 9.8, Kapihe 5.9, Givens 4.3, Brito 0.9)

Princeton -- 30.8 ppg (Hardman 13.5, Harris 11.0, Woods 6.3)

Lakota West -- 28.9 ppg (Dudukovich 19.8; Lavender 3.9, Barber 1.5, Fussell 2.3, Layfield 1.4)

Oak Hills -- 21.9 ppg (Zongo 8.9???, Schreiber 6.0, Richmond 3.5, Toon 2.2, Weidner 1.3)

Colerain -- 20.1 ppg (Meadows 11.9, Green 3.1, Young 3.1, Crossty 2.0)

Middletown -- 16.9 ppg (Williams 8.7; Hall 7.5; Day 2.7, McCord 1.0)

Mason -- 16.1 ppg (Morton 13.1, Molnar 3.0)

Coach Ovington left Coach Austing as much returning talent as Sycamore has had in years--and with Coach Austing's proven record at Fairfield it bodes well for Sycamore at least in year 1. The biggest move for Coach Austing is the teaching salary bump to move from Fairfield to Sycamore for the rest of his teaching career and $'s into his STRS retirement account--this is a family security move as much as anything--and the Aviators get a well-respected guy on the sideline. Sounds like a win-win!!

GMC Returning 2020-21 Season Points Per Game and Top Returning Scorers for each team for 2021-22:

Fairfield -- 48.1 ppg (Woods 16.1, Crim 15.1; Coney 6.2, Rogers 6.5, Bronston 3.2)

Sycamore -- 45.4 ppg (B. Southerland 17.3, B. Darbyshire 8.3, Hall 6.1, Bolden 6.0, G. Darbyshire 4.8, A. Southerland 1.9)

Lakota East -- 43.9 ppg (Kronauge 11.0, Peck 9.2, Coles 8.0, Kenrich 6.0; Poppe 4.6, Spicer 2.7, Adkins 2.4)

Hamilton -- 31.3 ppg (Ishmael 10.4, Tolentino 9.8, Kapihe 5.9, Givens 4.3, Brito 0.9)

Princeton -- 30.8 ppg (Hardman 13.5, Harris 11.0, Woods 6.3)

Lakota West -- 28.9 ppg (Dudukovich 19.8; Lavender 3.9, Barber 1.5, Fussell 2.3, Layfield 1.4)

Oak Hills -- 21.9 ppg (Zongo 8.9???, Schreiber 6.0, Richmond 3.5, Toon 2.2, Weidner 1.3)

Colerain -- 20.1 ppg (Meadows 11.9, Green 3.1, Young 3.1, Crossty 2.0)

Middletown -- 16.9 ppg (Williams 8.7; Hall 7.5; Day 2.7, McCord 1.0)

Mason -- 16.1 ppg (Morton 13.1, Molnar 3.0)

Coach Ovington left Coach Austing as much returning talent as Sycamore has had in years--and with Coach Austing's proven record at Fairfield it bodes well for Sycamore at least in year 1. The biggest move for Coach Austing is the teaching salary bump to move from Fairfield to Sycamore for the rest of his teaching career and $'s into his STRS retirement account--this is a family security move as much as anything--and the Aviators get a well-respected guy on the sideline. Sounds like a win-win!!
Nothing wrong with increased salary, retained teaching years towards retirement, unlimited resources and a supportive community. GMC should be interesting next year to say the least.