• Sycamore (8-16)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown (7-16)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Colerain (1-22)

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't be surprised if it's tied to the "transfer situation" that the Hamilton Principal and Asst. Principal were told to resign effective at the end of this school year a few weeks ago--the more you know---makes no sense to leave HHS for Badin--and I'm a Badin grad!

Maybe... but Hamilton acted pretty quickly getting rid of AD and Principal. If they were going to get rid of head coach they probably would have done it by now.

I would be shocked if that's true. The people at Hamilton wouldn't look to kindly to that.

I hear Higgins is upset with the Hamiilton folks from the “transfer” issue during the season and having to work from home. Told this kind of fell to him in a Seniority-Department thing from hybrid learning being available. Im told Higgins really doesn’t care much for Teaching from Home.

Hamilton basketball has been subpar since coach Allen retired. Hiring tim Robinson was a total disaster. They have been playing catch up ever since. IMO Kevin Higgins was a good hire and could permanently turn the corner for the program but it appears he was caught up in something above his pay grade. Don’t really know. I watched many games this past year and you could tell they had some discipline issues at the end of the season. Still 13-15 wins is a humongous upgrade to what they were ten years ago.
If he has interest in the Badin job the Rams would benefit greatly if he was given the job. His style would work perfectly at a parochial school.

I can no longer standby and witness the cheating at Sycamore High School. The program is being destroyed by the "one parent" who has been referenced. His name is Gregg Darbyshire. It is a fact the the Southerland family has never lived in the Sycamore School District. Mr. Darbyshire, Tim Southerland and Mark Hardin lied and said they lived in a house in front of the Darbyshire's. Funny how the Southerland boys had to drive to the Darbyshire house for a team building meal. Our program has been held hostage by Mr. Darbyshire for years. He is there only to promote his sons and demote any player that is better. Our sons are totally demoralized and most do not want to return. The hiring of a new coach was a light of hope that maybe something is changing. Alas, nothing will change. Coach Austing spoke about changing the culture and that the boys will earn their way regardless of their last name. Sounds good but now after the public relations campaign. We now see that this coach is in Darbyshire's pocket just like the others. Gregg is bragging that he hand picked Coach Austing. I am receiving emails about the Aves/ProCamps Camp. I see the Midwest Basketball Club sponsored by Sycamore High School. Now I hear that Austing is coaching in Darbyshire's AAU program.

OHSAA, the news media, or some authoritative body needs to investigate Sycamore High School and put a stop to this cheating. What they are doing is no different that what happened in Hamilton. Perhaps the clout of our community covers our sins.

I can no longer standby and witness the cheating at Sycamore High School. The program is being destroyed by the "one parent" who has been referenced. His name is Gregg Darbyshire. It is a fact the the Southerland family has never lived in the Sycamore School District. Mr. Darbyshire, Tim Southerland and Mark Hardin lied and said they lived in a house in front of the Darbyshire's. Funny how the Southerland boys had to drive to the Darbyshire house for a team building meal. Our program has been held hostage by Mr. Darbyshire for years. He is there only to promote his sons and demote any player that is better. Our sons are totally demoralized and most do not want to return. The hiring of a new coach was a light of hope that maybe something is changing. Alas, nothing will change. Coach Austing spoke about changing the culture and that the boys will earn their way regardless of their last name. Sounds good but now after the public relations campaign. We now see that this coach is in Darbyshire's pocket just like the others. Gregg is bragging that he hand picked Coach Austing. I am receiving emails about the Aves/ProCamps Camp. I see the Midwest Basketball Club sponsored by Sycamore High School. Now I hear that Austing is coaching in Darbyshire's AAU program.

OHSAA, the news media, or some authoritative body needs to investigate Sycamore High School and put a stop to this cheating. What they are doing is no different that what happened in Hamilton. Perhaps the clout of our community covers our sins.

:oops::oops:

Wow! I did question the Darbyshire's playing varsity in 2020 and the younger one this year but I just thought they have been playing the last couple of years because they didn't have talent. Didn't know there was a puppet master at work. I did hear that the kid that transferred back in from St. X was a play made by Darbyshire but because that kid was originally a Sycamore kid and he lives in the district no harm no foul. So you're saying the Southerland family lives in a house in front of the Darbyshires??? What did they build it in front??? How does that work??
Makes sense that Ovington "left" he probably got tired of the puppeteering and if what you say is true and that Darbyshire orchestrated the Austing move. That is just awful!

Wow Truthnsports! I believe you and agree Sycamore basketball is Daddy $$$$$$$$$$, but all the info u have makes me think your kid played on the team and had his playing time reduced due to who was really running the program. The allegations you make seem to be easily investigated by the AD and OHSAA if you make a complaint. If the Southerlands are still living in their house outside of sycamore then definitely no different than Hamilton and heads should roll.

Southerland might be the best player in the GMC, at least. For other guys. I dont know. Dont they have a 7 foot soph to be?

Southerland might be the best player in the GMC, at least. For other guys. I dont know. Dont they have a 7 foot soph to be?
Best returning player? I did not see his n as me on the Honorable Mention All State. I hope Austing has something to work with.

Wow! I did question the Darbyshire's playing varsity in 2020 and the younger one this year but I just thought they have been playing the last couple of years because they didn't have talent. Didn't know there was a puppet master at work. I did hear that the kid that transferred back in from St. X was a play made by Darbyshire but because that kid was originally a Sycamore kid and he lives in the district no harm no foul. So you're saying the Southerland family lives in a house in front of the Darbyshires??? What did they build it in front??? How does that work??
Makes sense that Ovington "left" he probably got tired of the puppeteering and if what you say is true and that Darbyshire orchestrated the Austing move. That is just awful!

Yikes!!!

Wasn't he given some bs role/title as "Director of Basketball Operations" a couple of years ago? No wonder why Ovington got out. What's going on there may benefit them in the short term, but will have long term effects on that program. Wouldn't imagine Austing will stick around for the rebuild that is going to need to take place after all this.

Sad and pathetic for Sycamore if even an ounce of this is accurate!
Sounds a lot like Dublin Jerome in another thread.

It's a shame that parents THINK they should have any clout. Whether a provate school where they pay tuition or a public school where they pay taxes. If you THINK you need to do shady stuff to get your kid things, that should be a primary signal that your kid is NOT that good. I mentioned this "dad's" name to a pretty connected guy in the city last week, and his response made me think that most of this post about sycamore is pretty accurate.

In the last 15 years, Sycamore has finished BETTER than 6th place only ONE time. And that was a weak GMC year where 4 teams tied for 1st. Over those 15 years they had at least 3 coaches, maybe more. Sycamore certainly wont be better because of "daddy ball!" Maybe they will because of the new coach and great talent. But I don't think people realize what a gauntlet the GMC is. NO EASY GAMES; except maybe when it's YOUR TEAM!

When parents make decisions and have clout, the coach loses the ability to do what he / she needs to do to coach the team. Can you push them as hard? Can you let the bench "wake them up?" or will you get a phone call? Can you demand "defense or you don't play?"

It's just sad. And the funny part is, as I've been a "lesser" parent in the past and watched someone try to hijack a team... every other parent knows these individuals are clowns and fools and jerks. And no one sits near them at games. No one wants to be a part, but no one also wants to "call them out" and fear their kid "being on the outside" now.

Disappointing an AD like Sycamore's allows this. Frankly I think Ovington was pretty solid with what he had in the GMC the last few years. No one is safe!

They got a really good coach now. We'll see if it makes Sycamore any better

so has anything actually come of this? i would think if that family isn't living in the Sycamore District that this would have been found out by now. Can't imagine Coach Austing going into this job/taking it unless he knew that it was HIS program to run and that it didn't have any dark clouds hanging over it (i.e., possibility of ineligibility of some players). Knowing Austing, I'm guessing he's going to coach the way HE wants to and not cater to any parents.

East, OH, Princeton, Hamilton- OH has pretty much everyone back and have added a couple transfers.

Sycamore isn't moving the needle I think they'll compete but they're not jumping out of the basement to penthouse with just one guy. They lost 15 games last year he can't make that difference up.
Young talent with experience will blossom into fine players this year. Experienced new Coach with winning track record must be a huge plus.

The AD & The OHSAA are responsible to take action if & when this occurs @ any school. I have not seen or heard of this taking place @ Sycamore.
to flashback to the Deer Park fiasco, the state will do NOTHING! They SOLELY put it on the school to police themselves.

GMC Top Returning Scorers for each team for 2021-22 (Not sure of any transfers):

Fairfield -- 14-5--- 48.1 ppg (Woods 16.1, Crim 15.1; Coney 6.2, Rogers 6.5, Bronston 3.2)

Sycamore -- 9-14---45.4 ppg (B. Southerland 17.3, B. Darbyshire 8.3, Hall 6.1, Bolden 6.0, G. Darbyshire 4.8, A. Southerland 1.9)

Lakota East --16-6-- 43.9 ppg (Kronauge 11.0, Peck 9.2, Coles 8.0, Kenrich 6.0; Poppe 4.6, Spicer 2.7, Adkins 2.4)

Hamilton -- 6-17----31.3 ppg (Ishmael 10.4, Tolentino 9.8, Kapihe 5.9, Givens 4.3, Brito 0.9)

Princeton -- 8-6-----30.8 ppg (Hardman 13.5, Harris 11.0, Woods 6.3)

Lakota West -- 16-9---28.9 ppg (Dudukovich 19.8; Lavender 3.9, Barber 1.5, Fussell 2.3, Layfield 1.4)

Colerain -- 2-19-----20.1 ppg (Meadows 11.9, Green 3.1, Young 3.1, Crossty 2.0)

Middletown -- 9-13----16.9 ppg (Williams 8.7; Hall 7.5; Day 2.7, McCord 1.0)

Mason -- 18-6-----16.1 ppg (Morton 13.1, Molnar 3.0)

Oak Hills -- 9-15------13.0 ppg (Schreiber 6.0, Richmond 3.5, Toon 2.2, Weidner 1.3)

Fairfield, Lakota East, and Sycamore should battle for the top spot this season unless some others get immediate help from JV players moving to varsity for 21-22.

Fairfield is loaded with everyone coming back for the most part with the addition of the Keba Prep transfer. East lost Nate Johnson but has everyone returning the core group of seniors have been playing together under Adkins since elementary. Sycamore is an interesting team, not sure what they have beyond Southerland they were at the bottom of the GMC last year and 2 of their wins were the result of forfeits. I think Hamilton could shock a couple people and be at the top half of the league but not a threat for the title.

I know Sycamore has a 6”9 Sophmore that I am sure will play a factor this coming year too. West has a few solid freshman too! Fairfield has a 6”9 Freshman! Middletown’s freshman group is talented and only lost a few games in middle school. Went undefeated 7th grade. So should be fun to watch next few years!

GMC Top Returning Scorers for each team for 2021-22 (Not sure of any transfers):

Fairfield -- 14-5--- 48.1 ppg (Woods 16.1, Crim 15.1; Coney 6.2, Rogers 6.5, Bronston 3.2)

Sycamore -- 9-14---45.4 ppg (B. Southerland 17.3, B. Darbyshire 8.3, Hall 6.1, Bolden 6.0, G. Darbyshire 4.8, A. Southerland 1.9)

Lakota East --16-6-- 43.9 ppg (Kronauge 11.0, Peck 9.2, Coles 8.0, Kenrich 6.0; Poppe 4.6, Spicer 2.7, Adkins 2.4)

Hamilton -- 6-17----31.3 ppg (Ishmael 10.4, Tolentino 9.8, Kapihe 5.9, Givens 4.3, Brito 0.9)

Princeton -- 8-6-----30.8 ppg (Hardman 13.5, Harris 11.0, Woods 6.3)

Lakota West -- 16-9---28.9 ppg (Dudukovich 19.8; Lavender 3.9, Barber 1.5, Fussell 2.3, Layfield 1.4)

Colerain -- 2-19-----20.1 ppg (Meadows 11.9, Green 3.1, Young 3.1, Crossty 2.0)

Middletown -- 9-13----16.9 ppg (Williams 8.7; Hall 7.5; Day 2.7, McCord 1.0)

Mason -- 18-6-----16.1 ppg (Morton 13.1, Molnar 3.0)

Oak Hills -- 9-15------13.0 ppg (Schreiber 6.0, Richmond 3.5, Toon 2.2, Weidner 1.3)

Fairfield, Lakota East, and Sycamore should battle for the top spot this season unless some others get immediate help from JV players moving to varsity for 21-22.
i believe meadows has left colerain for lakoa east university