Dayton D3 Boys Soccer

yakyak

This is an interesting point. I understand the reason that soccer is looked at a contact sport vs. a non-contact sport for the sport itself. But sometimes I think in regards to this pandemic, football is it's own animal when considering the sports. I only say that due to the number of players on teams, fans in the stands, etc. compared to other sports. If you're worried about large gatherings in particular, your average football game would have a much greater concern than your average soccer match. In reality though, soccer is being looked at in the same light as football.
Even though there are very intense one one one confrontations, they are spaced out a bit in time (time between events). Wouldn't the only time of concern when the ball is at midfield, in the box or corners (when 6+ people are in close together)? Those do not happen every 30 seconds.

ex_dc_atc

Even though there are very intense one one one confrontations, they are spaced out a bit in time (time between events). Wouldn't the only time of concern when the ball is at midfield, in the box or corners (when 6+ people are in close together)? Those do not happen every 30 seconds.
I totally agree. I feel as though both sports are very different when considering the actual risk to the players or fans. In reality, I would like to see all fall sports have the opportunity to play. If infections happen, they can then deviate at that time. But if the teams follow guidelines and are given a chance, maybe a lot of these kids can enjoy a full season.

yakyak

I totally agree. I feel as though both sports are very different when considering the actual risk to the players or fans. In reality, I would like to see all fall sports have the opportunity to play. If infections happen, they can then deviate at that time. But if the teams follow guidelines and are given a chance, maybe a lot of these kids can enjoy a full season.
I wonder if soccer moved to spring if that would work. But it would destroy the club time, where a lot of kids get their looks for college. But that is such a minority of the kids that impacts that would be hard. HS+Club team in some magic shared universe?

I dont think Midwest kids can play soccer in the freezing February, March time frame can they?

ex_dc_atc

I wonder if soccer moved to spring if that would work. But it would destroy the club time, where a lot of kids get their looks for college. But that is such a minority of the kids that impacts that would be hard. HS+Club team in some magic shared universe?

I dont think Midwest kids can play soccer in the freezing February, March time frame can they?
Yes, that would be tough. I have a youth soccer player. They already had their spring season essentially cancelled with their club last spring. I'm just hopeful they can put something together for fall. The weather is also pretty detrimental in the early spring. March can be horrible with rain, cold, etc. Two years ago the spring season was filled with cancellations and reschedules due to weather. I think that's something that people don't always consider when discussing moving things back. Ohio's weather is much different than say a state like California. You never know how cold, wet, or warm a spring or fall might be here in Ohio.

winbypin

They already play during that time in club soccer.

yakyak

If it's cancelled this fall they will for sure.

Wonder if club will be able to get schedules together for the fall quickly if this happens.
And the already ref shortage, it might become a math problem that is not solvable with getting ref. Might have to go without a full ref crew?

Either way, I hope we really work to get these kids games.

winbypin

And the already ref shortage, it might become a math problem that is not solvable with getting ref. Might have to go without a full ref crew?

Either way, I hope we really work to get these kids games.
Do you mean in the spring regarding the ref shortage?

ex_dc_atc

The ODH essentially extended their order today in regards to contact and non-contact sports. Soccer can still train among its own team but nothing against other schools. There are definitely major hurdles including the aspect of testing.