• Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to do this but didn’t Ed’s have like 3 fumbles and 4 missed field goals with a backup kicker? I don’t remember the details from what I read, but that’s uncharacteristic for the eagles.

Hope this doesn’t bring a swarm of posters and deter the thread. Congratulations for winning that
The kicker was Lavelle, who was a good punter, but so-so kicker.

In the 2021 championship game, St. Edward had touchdown drives of 72, 51 and 92 yards, during which almost 13 minutes elapsed on the clock. On top of that, Eds controlled the ball for just under 6 minutes as game time ran out.

Last year, the Eagle TD drives were 65, 56, 87 and 78 yards, consuming nearly 15 minutes on the clock. Once again, they possessed the ball for the last 4+ minutes as the clock expired.

For the two games combined, the Eagles ran the ball nearly 80% of the time, with over 75% of their yards gained on the ground. They averaged 5.9 yards per rush, 10.8 yards per completed pass and 6.1 yards per play overall.

Their run-heavy approach should be expected again in this year’s championship contest. If the Wildcats are to have any chance of winning, they must find a way to contain Eds prolific ball control game. That’s a very tall task. To date, only Massillon has been successful in doing that.
The one GWOC team that has regularly given Springfield fits is the only team that runs the option. Long drives and eat up the clock. That team is definitely smaller, slower and not as deep as St Ed’s. so seeing those stats makes me see why SHS has not beaten them year.

I want and expect SHS to win. They can't make a movie out of this unless they finish the job. And I'm not making excuses for anything. Other people leveled the competitive advantage and recruiting accusations last year when they advocated for separate playoffs for public and private schools. It was in the newspapers actually. I just think it makes a great angle to build the David vs Goliath theme around for a movie.
Just saying.

Even if it is Cuyahoga and Lorain that is access to a population center of 1.6 million people. What is Springfield.. 60k? I think this joke too flippantly ignores the other side's argument.

It wasn’t a joke, it’s a quote. And the other side wasn’t making an argument, he was making an excuse.

It would be cool if private schools and public school split . St Ed’s just been running the show for a decade + must be nice to have the elite of the elite up there in Cleveland to pick from . Y’all get super excited about beating public schools in the state final.
But it's ok when a handful of public schools "run the show" in other divisions?

In the 2021 championship game, St. Edward had touchdown drives of 72, 51 and 92 yards, during which almost 13 minutes elapsed on the clock. On top of that, Eds controlled the ball for just under 6 minutes as game time ran out.

Last year, the Eagle TD drives were 65, 56, 87 and 78 yards, consuming nearly 15 minutes on the clock. Once again, they possessed the ball for the last 4+ minutes as the clock expired.

For the two games combined, the Eagles ran the ball nearly 80% of the time, with over 75% of their yards gained on the ground. They averaged 5.9 yards per rush, 10.8 yards per completed pass and 6.1 yards per play overall.

Their run-heavy approach should be expected again in this year’s championship contest. If the Wildcats are to have any chance of winning, they must find a way to contain Eds prolific ball control game. That’s a very tall task. To date, only Massillon has been successful in doing that.
Don't forget Moeller was down 21-0 but they came back and nearly tied it up at the end, losing 28-21. Also, Elder led St Eds by double digits and seemed to control most of the game. Eds needed a FG as time expired to edge Elder 34-33. So, there may be some chinks in the armor.

I've got:

St. Edward 28
Springfield 14

Remarkable turn around by Springfield's football team. They've been outstanding these playoffs. I have to go with St. Edward though. I think that's a hurdle the Wildcats just can't figure out how to get over.

Don't forget Moeller was down 21-0 but they came back and nearly tied it up at the end, losing 28-21. Also, Elder led St Eds by double digits and seemed to control most of the game. Eds needed a FG as time expired to edge Elder 34-33. So, there may be some chinks in the armor.
Exposing “chinks in the armor” is precisely why St. Edward puts together a challenging schedule each year. The Eagles have a proven track record of fixing any such issues, as demonstrated by their current win streak of 17 consecutive playoff games.

Upsets happen all the time. If you think about it, at 5-5 SHS wasn't favored in any of their playoff games. I feel like upset #6 is on its way.
I do too. Maybe a 1 point win. It'd be very ironic if SHS wins State in football after Elks win State in basketball. When each school actually is better known for success in the other sport. The key will be qb protection and avoiding self inflicted mistakes. SHS's lines are much better than last year, so I don't see Upshaw getting pressured the way Schondelmyer was. On self inflicted mistakes, the game 2 years ago was lost in the 2d quarter when St Eds scored a bunch of points in a 2-3 minute stretch right before halftime. That bad stretch was triggered by a safety when a punt sailed over the punter into the endzone. Things went down the sh**er from there. Last year, Eds had a 3 TD outburst in 2d qtr. Still, it was 21-14 in 4th qtr. Except for those 2 bad 2d qtr stretches, SHS played them tough. Hoping this time they will keep pace with Eds throughout.
In the 2021 championship game, St. Edward scored nine points (“a bunch”?) in just under four minutes of the second quarter on a safety and a touchdown. After the safety, Eds returned the ensuing kickoff to their own 49-yard line, then then marched down the field for a touchdown. Had Springfield successfully punted, St. Edward would have gained possession anyway. They likely would have started at about their own 44-yard line, just five yards farther back. (That’s based on the Wildcat’s kicker’s season average of 34 yards per punt.) So, the flubbed punt attempt might really have led to a net gain of just two points for the Eagles, not nine. We'll never know for sure.

In last year’s game, Springfield scored first, after St. Edward turned the ball over on downs on their own 39-yard line. The Eagles then took the lead on two touchdowns in the second quarter (not three). Still, those TDs were indeed critical, as the Wildcats never regained the lead.

Exposing “chinks in the armor” is precisely why St. Edward puts together a challenging schedule each year. The Eagles have a proven track record of fixing any such issues, as demonstrated by their current win streak of 17 consecutive playoff games.
There's nothing to add, as St. Edward's playoff results say it all.
A point would be nice. So far, I don't see one. This year, Springfield's playoff results are more impressive.
A big reason for St. Edward’s playoff success in recent years is that by the time the playoffs began they had cleaned up shortcomings discovered during the regular season. That is my point.

Let me give you a specific example to illustrate. In last year’s Massillon game in mid-September, the Tigers scored passing touchdowns of 70, 32 and 24 yards. After that game, defensive coordinator Pete Pappas made substantial changes to the Eagles defensive scheme. The result: St. Edward allowed no more than one passing touchdown in any of the remaining eleven games through the end of the season.

A big reason for St. Edward’s playoff success in recent years is that by the time the playoffs began they had cleaned up shortcomings discovered during the regular season. That is my point.
Let me give you a specific example to illustrate. In last year’s Massillon game in mid-September, the Tigers scored passing touchdowns of 70, 32 and 24 yards. After that game, defensive coordinator Pete Pappas made substantial changes to the Eagles defensive scheme. The result: St. Edward allowed no more than one passing touchdown in any of the remaining eleven games through the end of the season.
In 1984, they said all of this and more before Centerville's playoff game vs Moeller who was rated #1 in the nation. They said it in 1996 before Lima Sr played 5-time defending state champion St Ignatius. They said it in 1997 before St Ignatius played #1 USAToday ranked Canton McKinley which McKinley won 20-19 on a last second TD. Everyone agrees St Eds is the favorite to repeat this year. But upsets happen and playoff success last year and before mean absolutely nothing now. Both schools have different teams this year. They're both 5-0 in this year's playoffs. SHS has pulled a string of upsets and are poised for another one. The most impressive aspect of SHS's playoff run is the impact of their halftime adjustments. After halftime, they have absolutely dominated everyone and completely shut down opponents' offenses. Olentangy's 4-star qb couldnt do anything after halftime. Moeller's dominant O-line couldn't protect their qb who scrambled outside the pocket frantically after halftime. In sports, anyone can beat anyone on a given night. The players will decide it on Friday night. But if you think SHS has no chance to win or at least compete well, you're wrong. Believe it or not, this year's SHS team seems to be the most motivated and hungriest to win of the past 5 years. All the pressure is on Eds. They're the ones who have all the hype to live up to and everything to lose. They're an apple just ripe for the picking...

Last edited:
In 1984, they said all of this and more before Centerville's playoff game vs Moeller who was rated #1 in the nation. They said it in 1996 before Lima Sr played 5-time defending state champion St Ignatius. They said it in 1997 before St Ignatius played #1 USAToday ranked Canton McKinley which McKinley won 20-19 on a last second TD. Everyone agrees St Eds is the favorite to repeat this year. But upsets happen and playoff success last year and before mean absolutely nothing now. Both schools have different teams this year. They're both 5-0 in this year's playoffs. SHS has pulled a string of upsets and are poised for another one. The most impressive aspect of SHS's playoff run is the impact of their halftime adjustments. After halftime, they have absolutely dominated everyone and completely shut down opponents' offenses. Olentangy's 4-star qb couldnt do anything after halftime. Moeller's dominant O-line couldn't protect their qb who scrambled outside the pocket frantically after halftime. In sports, anyone can beat anyone on a given night. The players will decide it on Friday night. But if you think SHS has no chance to win or at least compete well, you're wrong. Believe it or not, this year's SHS team seems to be the most motivated and hungriest to win of the past 5 years. All the pressure is on Eds. They're the ones who have all the hype to live up to and everything to lose. They're an apple just ripe for the picking...
Of course, upsets happen and Springfield most definitely has a fighting chance to win. Likewise, St. Edward’s playoff success last year and before are certainly no guarantee of future success. And, yes, both schools have different teams this year. I had absolutely no intent of implying otherwise on any of those points. Instead, what I was getting at was that St. Edward’s experienced coaching staff has a track record of learning from flaws exposed during the regular season and making changes to their schemes accordingly. That is why I am confident that shortcomings uncovered during the wins against Elder and Moeller have since been cleaned up and will not be particularly relevant during the upcoming championship game.

I look forward to a very competitive game on Friday and take nothing for granted as to which team will come out on top. Regardless of the outcome, Springfield already has already earned my respect, based on how they bounced back from key injuries earlier this season.

Of course, upsets happen and Springfield most definitely has a fighting chance to win. Likewise, St. Edward’s playoff success last year and before are certainly no guarantee of future success. And, yes, both schools have different teams this year. I had absolutely no intent of implying otherwise on any of those points. Instead, what I was getting at was that St. Edward’s experienced coaching staff has a track record of learning from flaws exposed during the regular season and making changes to their schemes accordingly. That is why I am confident that shortcomings uncovered during the wins against Elder and Moeller have since been cleaned up and will not be particularly relevant during the upcoming championship game.

I look forward to a very competitive game on Friday and take nothing for granted as to which team will come out on top. Regardless of the outcome, Springfield already has already earned my respect, based on how they bounced back from key injuries earlier this season.
I think St Eds will struggle on offense in the 2d half just like the others. The wild card though is your sophomore RB, whether the halftime adjustments will be enough to stop him. But I know he's gonna be a real pain in the a** in the 1st half. Another thing, this year's SHS playoff team has been really good at creating turnovers at the perfect time. Even though Moeller forced OT, the forced fumble recovered at the Moeller 6 was the play of the game. It swung momentum big time and Moeller emptied their tank to tie it up and force OT. They seemed completely depleted in the OT. Against Coffman, they recovered a fumble at their own 24 where the next play was a 76 yard TD run. Coffman looked poised to score, so arguably that was a 14 point swing. Against Olentangy, they blocked a punt and recovered a muffed kickoff return both for TDs. Against Centerville, they intercepted them twice in the 4th Qtr to kill what looked like promising drives in a 7-3 ballgame. So, there are things about this year's team that are very different from the last 2 teams. So if St Eds fans are expecting a similar game and a team similar to what they saw before, I really think they're in for a rude awakening come Friday.

Last edited:
I think St Eds will struggle on offense in the 2d half just like the others. The wild card though is your sophomore RB, whether the halftime adjustments will be enough to stop him. But I know he's gonna be a real pain in the a** in the 1st half. Another thing, this year's SHS playoff team has been really good at creating turnovers at the perfect time. Even though Moeller forced OT, the forced fumble recovered at the Moeller 6 was the play of the game. It swung momentum big time and Moeller emptied their tank to tie it up and force OT. They seemed completely depleted in the OT. Against Coffman, they recovered a fumble at their own 24 where the next play was a 76 yard TD run. Coffman looked poised to score, so arguably that was a 14 point swing. Against Olentangy, they blocked a punt and recovered a muffed kickoff return both for TDs. Against Centerville, they intercepted them twice in the 4th Qtr to kill what looked like promising drives in a 7-3 ballgame. So, there are things about this year's team that are very different from the last 2 teams. So if St Eds fans are expecting a similar game and a team similar to what they saw before, I really think they're in for a rude awakening come Friday.
So what you're saying is Springfield relies on fluky turnovers to win? Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.