• Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Springfield was widely regarded as a top 5 (at worst) team coming into the season. They are healthy now, not a Cinderella. This will be a game, especially if Mason and Thomas cannot suit up for the Eagles.

Springfield was widely regarded as a top 5 (at worst) team coming into the season. They are healthy now, not a Cinderella. This will be a game, especially if Mason and Thomas cannot suit up for the Eagles.
Plain Dealer rated SHS #2 in preseason D1 rankings behind St Eds.

It would be cool if private schools and public school split . St Ed’s just been running the show for a decade + must be nice to have the elite of the elite up there in Cleveland to pick from . Y’all get super excited about beating public schools in the state final.

It would be cool if private schools and public school split . St Ed’s just been running the show for a decade + must be nice to have the elite of the elite up there in Cleveland to pick from . Y’all get super excited about beating public schools in the state final.
Split or no split is fine with me. Whatever. But after the split don't assert you'd always beat the big Catholics in a title match that will no longer happen. Unless of course you're Massillon who isn't afraid to play the Catholics and often beats them. I'll also give accolades to Springfield since they at least scheduled Ignatius (albeit a down Ignatius program) in the regular season. Springfield certainly isn't afraid of the competition.
As far as having the "elite of the elite" we don't get to pick every kid we want at St. Edward. If that was the case we'd likely cherry pick a lot of talent from Cleveland Heights, Euclid, Avon, Glenville, Mentor, Medina and a few others.
This ongoing resentment towards Catholic education always seems to permeate these threads/posts. What's rarely appreciated is how expensive it is to attend St Edward. Annual tuition is in the $20,000 range. Even if you're voucher eligible, that only pays a fraction of the overall cost. Sure there are some scholarships, but we don't get to just write checks for all the kids entering. You're living in a dream world about private education and how costs are met. All of these kids almost always pay something based on family income. And Eds isn't rolling in money with big endowment donors. We don't even have our own stadium (we have to rent Lakewood's). Nor do we have an indoor training facility like many big privates have at public expense. (And good for those that do have them.) There are many unseen sacrifices made on a daily basis. The payoff is a great education. Eds has a renowned engineering and robotics program that many of these kids participate in off the gridiron.
Many big publics offer great educational programs as well. We have public schools in this area like Solon and Hudson to name just two that are often ranked near the top of the academic lists in all of Ohio. And I have no problem with big public schools adopting open enrollment or kids moving into those districts to play in a successful program. Good for them. I marvel at how good Massillon is year after year in that regard. They offer kids a great opportunity to play and be seen at a high level of competition while they also get a great education. Kids want to go there and play there. I'd guess the same is true of Springfield and Coach Douglas.
Lastly, we don't (at least not true Eds fans) gloat or "get super excited" about beating public schools just because they are public schools. I can assure you that's reserved for beating Ignatius, or more recently, Hoban.
So if you want a split that's fine with me. We can't get any Ohio publics to schedule us anymore anyway (except Massillon) so for us the split has already happened. I was looking forward to playing Moeller in a "all private" rematch anyway, but Springfield proved they were better, so I don't get my wish.
I hope you write or contact the OHSAA and push for the split. It's fine with me.

Last edited:
Upsets happen all the time. If you think about it, at 5-5 SHS wasn't favored in any of their playoff games. I feel like upset #6 is on its way.
I do too. Maybe a 1 point win. It'd be very ironic if SHS wins State in football after Elks win State in basketball. When each school actually is better known for success in the other sport. The key will be qb protection and avoiding self inflicted mistakes. SHS's lines are much better than last year, so I don't see Upshaw getting pressured the way Schondelmyer was. On self inflicted mistakes, the game 2 years ago was lost in the 2d quarter when St Eds scored a bunch of points in a 2-3 minute stretch right before halftime. That bad stretch was triggered by a safety when a punt sailed over the punter into the endzone. Things went down the sh**er from there. Last year, Eds had a 3 TD outburst in 2d qtr. Still, it was 21-14 in 4th qtr. Except for those 2 bad 2d qtr stretches, SHS played them tough. Hoping this time they will keep pace with Eds throughout.

Split or no split is fine with me. Whatever. But after the split don't assert you'd always beat the big Catholics in a title match that will no longer happen. Unless of course you're Massillon who isn't afraid to play the Catholics and often beats them. I'll also give accolades to Springfield since they at least scheduled Ignatius (albeit a down Ignatius program) in the regular season. Springfield certainly isn't afraid of the competition.
As far as having the "elite of the elite" we don't get to pick every kid we want at St. Edward. If that was the case we'd likely cherry pick a lot of talent from Cleveland Heights, Euclid, Avon, Glenville, Mentor, Medina and a few others.
This ongoing resentment towards Catholic education always seems to permeate these threads/posts. What's rarely appreciated is how expensive it is to attend St Edward. Annual tuition is in the $20,000 range. Even if you're voucher eligible, that only pays a fraction of the overall cost. Sure there are some scholarships, but we don't get to just write checks for all the kids entering. You're living in a dream world about private education and how costs are met. All of these kids almost always pay something based on family income. And Eds isn't rolling in money with big endowment donors. We don't even have our own stadium (we have to rent Lakewood's). Nor do we have an indoor training facility like many big privates have at public expense. (And good for those that do have them.) There are many unseen sacrifices made on a daily basis. The payoff is a great education. Eds has a renowned engineering and robotics program that many of these kids participate in off the gridiron.
Many big publics offer great educational programs as well. We have public schools in this area like Solon and Hudson to name just two that are often ranked near the top of the academic lists in all of Ohio. And I have no problem with big public schools adopting open enrollment or kids moving into those districts to play in a successful program. Good for them. I marvel at how good Massillon is year after year in that regard. They offer kids a great opportunity to play and be seen at a high level of competition while they also get a great education. Kids want to go there and play there. I'd guess the same is true of Springfield and Coach Douglas.
Lastly, we don't (at least not true Eds fans) gloat or "get super excited" about beating public schools just because they are public schools. I can assure you that's reserved for beating Ignatius, or more recently Hoban.
So if you want a split that's fine with me. We can't get any Ohio publics to schedule us anymore anyway (except Massillon) so for us the split has already happened. I was looking forward to playing Moeller in a "all private" rematch anyway, but Springfield proved they were better, so I don't get my wish.
I hope you write or contact the OHSAA and push for the split. It's fine with me.
For me, it's not so much about Eds winning as it's they aren't even getting challenged in their playoff games. When you're on cruise control and getting running clocks in regional finals and state tournament games every year, there's a competive advantage problem.

I'm sure both teams want it the same amount. It comes down to who executes and plays better THAT night. And Yes, Ed's is the heavy favorite and there is a reason for that. They are the better team. But Springfield doesn't have to be the better team. They just have to be the better team Friday night. Truth: It is hard to bet against Ed's.
Because their a damn college picked squad
For me, it's not so much about Eds winning as it's they aren't even getting challenged in their playoff games. When you're on cruise control and getting running clocks in regional finals and state tournament games every year, there's a competive advantage problem

My point / my opinion on it as well.
And I will mention, I freakin respect the heck out of at Ed’s and enjoy streaming / watching them, it’s cracy watching them, it’s just another level.
just personally think it would be nice having public play it out and private

And I will mention, I freakin respect the heck out of at Ed’s and enjoy streaming / watching them, it’s cracy watching them, it’s just another level.
I have always thought that it should be that way. But it's not going to happen. I just sit back, pick the game I have the most interest each week, then head west on I-90.

I was just about to post the same thing about St Eds.

They have the best combination of great talent and great coaching. They don't beat themselves and just play a very good brand of football. Balanced and capable in all 3 phases. The kids are well-rounded and smart players and they get it done in the off-season and on the field just about every year. Yes, they have great players, but alot of programs have great players. They are the complete package every year and the model program for the State of Ohio, as well as right up there with the best in the country.

Ohsaa will never split so the convo is kind of wasted at this point. Cats are probably surprise of the playoffs injuries or not I dont think many expected them this far this season. A first year qb almost complete turnover on defense and several new coaches. But here we are again. Not sure how this game will go but I do think being their the past 2 years helps get over the happy to be there approach.

does the de from Eds return this week or is his season over?

Who are Mason and Thomas? And how is Bullock doing?
Mason is a high school Tyreek Hill and Thomas is a high school TJ Watt. Well, I guess that's how I'd describe their style of play, not that I'm suggesting they are ever going to be those level players. I would say they're arguably two of the best players on offense and defense respectively at Eds. Mason is a verbal commit to Akron U. and Thomas to ND.

Bullock, Mason and Thomas are all hurt. Bullock will likely play, I'd say the other two are doubtful. But we can't cry about injuries. No one cares.

These are for you Ohio River Boy:

They won't because there just aren't enough private schools to create their own tourny

No way! No split. Ohio football would be like Maryland, Jersey, and New York, where the privates absolutely dominate. No thanks.

There's nothing stopping any closed-enrollment district from going open-enrollment, except maybe the demographic differences that will present themselves, especially in large metropolitan areas (Akron, Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, Dayton,Cincinnati)

Mason is a high school Tyreek Hill and Thomas is a high school TJ Watt. Well, I guess that's how I'd describe their style of play, not that I'm suggesting they are ever going to be those level players. I would say they're arguably two of the best players on offense and defense respectively at Eds. Mason is a verbal commit to Akron U. and Thomas to ND.

Bullock, Mason and Thomas are all hurt. Bullock will likely play, I'd say the other two are doubtful. But we can't cry about injuries. No one cares.

These are for you Ohio River Boy:

I remember Bullock from last year. He was very slippery and tricky.

You have to think the 38-country all-star team will be the favorite, but big Mo will have his guys ready.

Even if it is Cuyahoga and Lorain that is access to a population center of 1.6 million people. What is Springfield.. 60k? I think this joke too flippantly ignores the other side's argument.

DP has this at a four score difference game. I think it'll probably look similar to the two previous two score games. Nothing like getting healthy and hitting your stride at the right time. Good luck to both of the schools!

Massillon was lucky to win year 2. Eds fumbled that game away. I felt this year was the first year we deserved the win.
No more lucky than St. Ed winning a game in which Massillon had double the yardage, with 1/3 of St. Ed's offense coming on a single play.

Massillon went toe-to-toe with St,. Ed last year, outplaying them for the last 46 minutes of the game. Was that last St. Ed fumble "lucky"? No more than the Massillon fumble on the second play of the game. Massillon still had to go 52 yards in 1:30.

Last edited:
Upsets happen all the time. If you think about it, at 5-5 SHS wasn't favored in any of their playoff games. I feel like upset #6 is on its way.
I do too. Maybe a 1 point win. It'd be very ironic if SHS wins State in football after Elks win State in basketball. When each school actually is better known for success in the other sport. The key will be qb protection and avoiding self inflicted mistakes. SHS's lines are much better than last year, so I don't see Upshaw getting pressured the way Schondelmyer was. On self inflicted mistakes, the game 2 years ago was lost in the 2d quarter when St Eds scored a bunch of points in a 2-3 minute stretch right before halftime. That bad stretch was triggered by a safety when a punt sailed over the punter into the endzone. Things went down the sh**er from there. Last year, Eds had a 3 TD outburst in 2d qtr. Still, it was 21-14 in 4th qtr. Except for those 2 bad 2d qtr stretches, SHS played them tough. Hoping this time they will keep pace with Eds throughout.
In the 2021 championship game, St. Edward had touchdown drives of 72, 51 and 92 yards, during which almost 13 minutes elapsed on the clock. On top of that, Eds controlled the ball for just under 6 minutes as game time ran out.

Last year, the Eagle TD drives were 65, 56, 87 and 78 yards, consuming nearly 15 minutes on the clock. Once again, they possessed the ball for the last 4+ minutes as the clock expired.

For the two games combined, the Eagles ran the ball nearly 80% of the time, with over 75% of their yards gained on the ground. They averaged 5.9 yards per rush, 10.8 yards per completed pass and 6.1 yards per play overall.

Their run-heavy approach should be expected again in this year’s championship contest. If the Wildcats are to have any chance of winning, they must find a way to contain Eds prolific ball control game. That’s a very tall task. To date, only Massillon has been successful in doing that.

These are the stats that don’t get mentioned when opposing teams recall previous games. St. Edward followers don’t spend a lot of time regurgitating these unlike other avid fan bases so I appreciate the effort to look these up on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

No more lucky than St. Ed winning a game in which Massillon had double the yardage, with 1/3 of St. Ed's offense coming on a single play.

Massillon went toe-to-toe with St,. Ed last year, outplaying them for the last 46 minutes of the game. Was that last St. Ed fumble "lucky"? No more than the Massillon fumble on the second play of the game. Massillon still had to go 52 yards in 1:30.
Hate to do this but didn’t Ed’s have like 3 fumbles and 4 missed field goals with a backup kicker? I don’t remember the details from what I read, but that’s uncharacteristic for the eagles.

Hope this doesn’t bring a swarm of posters and deter the thread. Congratulations for winning that game!

Status
Not open for further replies.