• Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do the Elks feel about Friday's game? Do they want SHS to win? Or are they still bitter about the playoff loss and the fact Elks still have not won State themselves yet? I suspect Wayne is bitter and wants SHS to lose.
As an Elks fan, no bitterness toward Springfield football team on my part and hope they win. Springfield earned a good chunk of my respect back in 2016 when Danny Davis caught the 40-yard Hail Mary touchdown pass to defeat the Elks. Elk fans were expecting the game to go into overtime as the Elks had just tied the game. I think that season was Springfield's first winning season in a while. As for their Coach Maurice Douglas, his past has some good and negative tidbits as a college athlete, pro player, and high school coach that I find interesting. However, he appears to be a good fit for Springfield and has developed a winning program. Come Friday, I think he will have the Wildcats fired up.

Looks like it's going to rain for sure during the day on Friday and possibly taper off as it gets late. Hopefully that neutralizes some of Springfields speed and hopefully we don't get a fumble bug from a wet field.

If it ain't broke don't fit it: just run it and run it again and play big boy physical football.

Looks like it's going to rain for sure during the day on Friday and possibly taper off as it gets late. Hopefully that neutralizes some of Springfields speed and hopefully we don't get a fumble bug from a wet field.

If it ain't broke don't fit it: just run it and run it again and play big boy physical football.
But that's exactly why I honestly don't think this game will be close in my personal opinion. I have tremendous amount of respect for what Springfield has done this season finishing the season 5-5 and then ripping off five straight wins and now playing for the division 1 state championship is a remarkable story but at the end of the day that Juggernaut is standing in the way that Juggernaut is Lakewood St. Ed's. I just don't think Springfield has what it takes to win the game in the trenches yes they have great skill players but it's week 16 you got to be able to hold up in the trenches in order to win the championship and I just don't think they can do it nobody in the state of Ohio has the sizes on their offensive line like the eagles do not only do they have the size they also are very well coached not saying that Springfield is not very well coached but one damn near your entire offensive line is going to the B1G that gives you a huge advantage against most opposing teams if I had to guess the score right now im going Eds 28 Springfield 10.

But that's exactly why I honestly don't think this game will be close in my personal opinion. I have tremendous amount of respect for what Springfield has done this season finishing the season 5-5 and then ripping off five straight wins and now playing for the division 1 state championship is a remarkable story but at the end of the day that Juggernaut is standing in the way that Juggernaut is Lakewood St. Ed's. I just don't think Springfield has what it takes to win the game in the trenches yes they have great skill players but it's week 16 you got to be able to hold up in the trenches in order to win the championship and I just don't think they can do it nobody in the state of Ohio has the sizes on their offensive line like the eagles do not only do they have the size they also are very well coached not saying that Springfield is not very well coached but one damn near your entire offensive line is going to the B1G that gives you a huge advantage against most opposing teams if I had to guess the score right now im going Eds 28 Springfield 10.
How exactly does a school amass an offensive line whereas nearly every player is being offered a Big 10 DI scholarship? I believe in most normal circumstances, a team might have up to 3 players on either sides of the ball who might earn DI scholarships. I would love to know how much each family is paying for their child to attend St. Eds; certainly not the full $19,350 plus the $250 technology fee. Can't imagine paying $78,400 over the course of 4 years for my child to attend a high school of any kind.

How exactly does a school amass an offensive line whereas nearly every player is being offered a Big 10 DI scholarship? I believe in most normal circumstances, a team might have up to 3 players on either sides of the ball who might earn DI scholarships. I would love to know how much each family is paying for their child to attend St. Eds; certainly not the full $19,350 plus the $250 technology fee. Can't imagine paying $78,400 over the course of 4 years for my child to attend a high school of any kind.
That means the twins would be at around 150k

It's really not a revelation that an open borders private school, especially a successful one located in a large metropolitan area such as St. Edward, can assemble a line such as what we have here. It's also just part luck to have three kids of this high a caliber in one class (helps that there are twins). Our 2010 group was thought to be a 100-year storm type of class (with 5 D1 commits), but here we are again. As far as the cost of education, most of the St. Edward student body (athlete and mathlete alike) receives some sort of financial assistance. Can't tell you what the Roebuck and Armstrong families pay, but I can tell you all three are high honors students in addition to fantastic football players. Roebuck is a legacy at the school as well.

It's really not a revelation that an open borders private school, especially a successful one located in a large metropolitan area such as St. Edward, can assemble a line such as what we have here. It's also just part luck to have three kids of this high a caliber in one class (helps that there are twins). Our 2010 group was thought to be a 100-year storm type of class (with 5 D1 commits), but here we are again. As far as the cost of education, most of the St. Edward student body (athlete and mathlete alike) receives some sort of financial assistance. Can't tell you what the Roebuck and Armstrong families pay, but I can tell you all three are high honors students in addition to fantastic football players. Roebuck is a legacy at the school as well.
What does the future of St. Eds look like? I know they will always be good but how close to this level of dominance

What does the future of St. Eds look like? I know they will always be good but how close to this level of dominance
Really depends on what happens with Ignatius, and whether Mentor or another school like Mentor (Medina?) can become what the Cardinals were during the Triv years.

High school football across the state is down. There isn't nearly as much parity as there used to be. Especially in Region 1. For the last three years Eds playoff schedule (minus the title games) was cakewalk compared to their regular season schedule.

Really depends on what happens with Ignatius, and whether Mentor or another school like Mentor (Medina?) can become what the Cardinals were during the Triv years.

High school football across the state is down. There isn't nearly as much parity as there used to be. Especially in Region 1. For the last three years Eds playoff schedule (minus the title games) was cakewalk compared to their regular season schedule.
Upper Arlington in 2021 was maybe the toughest game of the year. At least offensively.

Scholarships is how it is done. Scholarships based on financial need. If you are good enough they will find a way to get it funded.

That is completely false! I know a lot of students that attend and some play zero sports and some are minorities and some are not and they get the same amount of need based money as some of the top athletes. So send your hate and jealousy somewhere else. Almost 70% of the students are getting need based tuition. St Ed’s has fund raisers that raise into the millions for helping all students with need base financial help. Just because your schools are greedy does not mean all schools don’t look out for everyone!

That is completely false! I know a lot of students that attend and some play zero sports and some are minorities and some are not and they get the same amount of need based money as some of the top athletes. So send your hate and jealousy somewhere else. Almost 70% of the students are getting need based tuition. St Ed’s has fund raisers that raise into the millions for helping all students with need base financial help. Just because your schools are greedy does not mean all schools don’t look out for everyone!
There was no hate or jealousy from me. That is your projection.

You just spoke the truth, that's all. Sure they will "fund" non athletes, but they will also fund those studs as well. When you have alumni that donate big bucks, you know they'll have the best talent, bar none.

His truth, I know plenty of studs on team and past teams. That make huge sacrifices to keep sending their sons to the school. I know of a few kids that pay for UBER rides every morning to get the kids to pick up area. Dads had to pick up second job to afford the daily Uber. I try as do others to try to get kids home. Some single parents some not. In bad weather kids stay At friends homes so they can get to school in mornings. The sacrifices made to send your child to a faith based great education and sports programs are huge. I know of plenty non sports kids that make similar sacrifices. Does
Some top athletes get more help than others? I haven’t seen it. Has it happened? I’m sure.
But come to our school and see the help each of these kids do! After practices let out. They take friends or acquaintances home to help the kids and parents out. You have no idea about the community st Ed’s puts out. These kids come from numerous backgrounds and as far as conneut Ohio. The sacrifices these public school families make pale in comparison to st Ed’s.
But I do understand every parent makes sacrifices
For their children so I shouldn’t speak on everyone.
Until you walk in their shoes. But if you want to see a community come watch practices let out and see the brotherhood of help these kids and families provide help to each other

His truth, I know plenty of studs on team and past teams. That make huge sacrifices to keep sending their sons to the school. I know of a few kids that pay for UBER rides every morning to get the kids to pick up area. Dads had to pick up second job to afford the daily Uber. I try as do others to try to get kids home. Some single parents some not. In bad weather kids stay At friends homes so they can get to school in mornings. The sacrifices made to send your child to a faith based great education and sports programs are huge. I know of plenty non sports kids that make similar sacrifices. Does
Some top athletes get more help than others? I haven’t seen it. Has it happened? I’m sure.
But come to our school and see the help each of these kids do! After practices let out. They take friends or acquaintances home to help the kids and parents out. You have no idea about the community st Ed’s puts out. These kids come from numerous backgrounds and as far as conneut Ohio. The sacrifices these public school families make pale in comparison to st Ed’s.
Until you walk in their shoes. But if you want to see a community come watch practices let out and see the brotherhood of help these kids and families provide help to each other
I never said all of these things don't happen. But what i stated also happens. Also, never said it as a negative. I know kids they were able to go to Eds (or other schools) and it launched them onto to college and beyond. Never meant what i said as a negative, just a fact. I guess i could have added that helping financially is only part of the package, add in all the things you said. Man, people are so sensitive.

Yes you are sensitive, I’m just telling the back story.
People bash these private schools. Thinking just get free tuition and go to these schools and win titles. Yes they have an advantage. The advantage is getting like minded student athletes and families that make huge sacrifices to attend these schools.
To get out of public schools that have little or zero sports culture or weak academics.
I can tell you St Ed’s is not getting athletes out of the Kirtland Chardon mentor Avons. If they do it’s a kid that wanted faith based education to go along with sports. If the public schools have culture and great academics we would have stayed in our district. I didn’t want to pay a college tuition in highschool

I'm sorry, however Eds would have to provide significant discounts, like 90% off tuition for some of these families to afford their school.
My wife and I make a good 6 figure income and yet would not be able to afford even 10K tuition per child after a significant discount and we have 4. My neighbor has 2 children at Moeller and said they received very little in the way of scholarship. I'm guessing the grandparents are helping to subsidize as they are very Catholic and one is a retired engineer turned Deacon. Otherwise, that one income family would be hard pressed to afford Moeller.
I'm guessing some athletes at Eds are paying next to nothing to attend regardless of their parent(s) taking up a second job.
Good for Eds having some wealthy donors who are willing to foot the bill for others less fortunate. Question is, are they doing it for the child to receive an excellent education or to win state titles?
The reason I ask, decades ago, most parochial schools won very few state titles in any sport and during the 90's until now, they simply dominate most sports year after year with all the best athletes from around the area. Obviously something changed!

The reason I ask, decades ago, most parochial schools won very few state titles in any sport and during the 90's until now, they simply dominate most sports year after year with all the best athletes from around the area. Obviously something changed!
The Ohio voucher program came in to existence in 1995. that probably has some impact on the change.

I'm sorry, however Eds would have to provide significant discounts, like 90% off tuition for some of these families to afford their school.
My wife and I make a good 6 figure income and yet would not be able to afford even 10K tuition per child after a significant discount and we have 4. My neighbor has 2 children at Moeller and said they received very little in the way of scholarship. I'm guessing the grandparents are helping to subsidize as they are very Catholic and one is a retired engineer turned Deacon. Otherwise, that one income family would be hard pressed to afford Moeller.
I'm guessing some athletes at Eds are paying next to nothing to attend regardless of their parent(s) taking up a second job.
Good for Eds having some wealthy donors who are willing to foot the bill for others less fortunate. Question is, are they doing it for the child to receive an excellent education or to win state titles?
Privates won 11 of the first 18 large school state football championships from '72-'89.

The new voucher system certainly helps. But each family is different in terms of income, disposable income, number of kids, etc. From my own experience 10-15 years ago now with my eldest, we were maybe "middle income/class" and we got no reduction in cost. It was a not insignificant sacrifice.

Scholarships is how it is done. Scholarships based on financial need. If you are good enough they will find a way to get it funded.
The financial need assessment for Catholic high schools in the region are done by a third-party (similar to FAFSA at the college level). While different schools will have different amount of funding available to them, the determination of need for each student is not done by the school.

Here's proof that St Edward's competitive advantage includes receiving direct support from the NFL and Cleveland Browns

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231130_133337_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_133337_Samsung Internet.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 69
That question came up in that movie The Blind Side. They investigated whether Sandra Bullock's motive in fostering and adopting the player was to groom him to play college football for her alma mater.

Status
Not open for further replies.