Columbus city no sports

Wait until angry parents come to the board meeting
I would’ve bought this if it were the 90’s/early-00’s, or even earlier. With everything being so up in the air and probably more-pressing pandemic related struggles for many of the Columbus families, I don’t see there being a sizable protest representing all 15 of the high schools. Might see some Clintonville Karen’s gripe about no Whetstone soccer or girls’ tennis.

It's one thing to talk about the inequality of the virus from a health perspective...certainly has affected minority populations more and generally hit urban areas a little harder, especially at the beginning. But it's another thing for these school districts in the cities to essentially strip all activities from these (predominately minority) kids. Lives are being ruined, and it isn't from COVID in this subset...

It's one thing to talk about the inequality of the virus from a health perspective...certainly has affected minority populations more and generally hit urban areas a little harder, especially at the beginning. But it's another thing for these school districts in the cities to essentially strip all activities from these (predominately minority) kids. Lives are being ruined, and it isn't from COVID in this subset...

I see this becoming a major issue if bordering school districts a mile away continue with all sports.

So the Columbus Public students will all be "virtually' learning with no extra curricular activities? Yes, this is going to go well. Whitehall is about to become a powerhouse if they accept transfer students.
Yeah they are going to do this thinking students are going to be good and stay at home. Lol. These people in charge have no clue. Let’s see, we can either control a students environment by offering some in class learning and sports that offer a plan of organizing an activity with safety precautions or we can just see if they will stay in and not go hangout somewhere in an uncontrolled environment. Yeah that will work.

Lives are being ruined because of no extracurricular activities? People are that fragile that it's ruining their lives? One year of hardship and lives are ruined, never to be good again? That's the fighting spirit.

They absolutely could. Just because your life is grand doesn’t mean someone else’s is
If lives are ruined due to sports being cancelled, that is not the fault of the school district. We have bigger issues and people want to pin it on the schools.

Here is a scenario that is playing out. There are a number of players heading into their Senior season that are in line to get some non D1 Offers. Many have worked their butts off all summer but were not able to hit the camps because they were cancelled. Now there is no season for them to display their skills/improvement. On top of that, with many non D1 teams/leagues cancelling their season, they will have a very limited number of scholarships available to begin with. This might sound petty to some but for many of these kids, this is their ticket. That is not to say they don't have other options or that they can't figure something out, but it has become significantly more challenging to make it happen.

Lives are being ruined because of no extracurricular activities? People are that fragile that it's ruining their lives? One year of hardship and lives are ruined, never to be good again? That's the fighting spirit.
Do you live in Columbus? Or any other urban city?

I do and went to Columbus schools. Activities are sometimes the only thing that keeps these kids out of trouble. With nothing good to do, a lot of kids fall into bad situations.

If lives are ruined due to sports being cancelled, that is not the fault of the school district. We have bigger issues and people want to pin it on the schools.
No one is blaming the schools but blowing off these activities as if they don’t matter to the kids isn’t true

Here is a scenario that is playing out. There are a number of players heading into their Senior season that are in line to get some non D1 Offers. Many have worked their butts off all summer but were not able to hit the camps because they were cancelled. Now there is no season for them to display their skills/improvement. On top of that, with many non D1 teams/leagues cancelling their season, they will have a very limited number of scholarships available to begin with. This might sound petty to some but for many of these kids, this is their ticket. That is not to say they don't have other options or that they can't figure something out, but it has become significantly more challenging to make it happen.
People arguing about this aspect just want to argue and not add anything to help solve the problem.

They absolutely could. Just because your life is grand doesn’t mean someone else’s is
Who said my life is grand! I'm still recovering from 2008 financial garbage. Dad died a year and a half ago. Mom died March 16 and brother died July 5th. My HS senior son had a real bad Spring and was in counseling for depression before then and has not been able to go back since March. Counseling helps him a lot. He can't go to the college he wants or do 90% of things he likes to do. Had to sell my house at a huge loss in Peninsula, the best place in the state of Ohio to live and move into an apartment because instead of filing for bankruptcy, I paid off all my debt. Took 11 years, but no one lost a single penny because of me except my dad. Can't tell you how much interest I paid over the years. I was owed over $300,000 from others that filed bankruptcy, so I'll never see that. Instead of having $500,000 in the bank a house that's paid off and cruising towards retirement, I have zero and I make 1/3 the money that I used to, but it's worth it because I love coaching. I wasn't able to coach this past Spring. My life is perfect. Guess what, you do the best you can. Someone always has it worse.

To solve the problem was 5 months ago when we shut things down, BUT we did not have proper testing and tracing and it's a disaster now. Absolute disaster. No leadership. My family is doing as good as can be expected, because we are problem solvers and not just talkers.

It's funny there is no complaints about the fact kids in band and choir are not going to be able to do those at all. I was the only one of my family of 5 that did not do band, many forget not only is this extremely important to communities, but also those bands have as many if not more students than the football teams often.

In the inner city? Unfortunately without extra curriculars, a lot of these kids have nothing. I hate to say it, but more than a few will turn to drugs, gangs, or worse.

It's one thing if a Dublin or Worthington did it. But for some inner city kids, extra curriculars are their only structure.

SHOULD sports be the only thing keeping kids out of trouble? No, there should be other things that keep kids out of trouble (parents, friends, whatever)

ARE sports the only thing that keep some kids out of trouble? Absolutely. That's just as real in the inner city as it is in some rural communities. We can all argue about the pros and cons and why their lives are like that, but it's a real thing for some people.

Who said my life is grand! I'm still recovering from 2008 financial garbage. Dad died a year and a half ago. Mom died March 16 and brother died July 5th. My HS senior son had a real bad Spring and was in counseling for depression before then and has not been able to go back since March. Counseling helps him a lot. He can't go to the college he wants or do 90% of things he likes to do. Had to sell my house at a huge loss in Peninsula, the best place in the state of Ohio to live and move into an apartment because instead of filing for bankruptcy, I paid off all my debt. Took 11 years, but no one lost a single penny because of me except my dad. Can't tell you how much interest I paid over the years. I was owed over $300,000 from others that filed bankruptcy, so I'll never see that. Instead of having $500,000 in the bank a house that's paid off and cruising towards retirement, I have zero and I make 1/3 the money that I used to, but it's worth it because I love coaching. I wasn't able to coach this past Spring. My life is perfect. Guess what, you do the best you can. Someone always has it worse.

To solve the problem was 5 months ago when we shut things down, BUT we did not have proper testing and tracing and it's a disaster now. Absolute disaster. No leadership. My family is doing as good as can be expected, because we are problem solvers and not just talkers.

Good grief, you are your avatar name. If you're a problem solver, then jump on board. This is a problem, you even said it yourself that your son had to cope with it, and Stop with all the leadership nonsense. Quit blaming that. We couldn't stay shut down and you know it. People were losing businesses. IT's here! Deal with it. Shutting down doesn't make this magically disappear.

We need to proceed with life but now it has to be with a little caution, a little more sanitary. That's a good thing. Studies show that you're better able to handle it if you don't lack vitamin D, get out more! That's a good thing! Studies show that obese and diabetics will have more trouble. Eat better foods to be more healthy! That's a good thing! Try to maintain 6ft distance. We don't need to be up in people's faces. That's a good thing!

But saying kids don't need extra curricular activities, which is why I posted in the first place, is a bad thing!

Another bad thing is, they did this at the last minute, and these kids have probably no option to transfer to another school

Good grief, you are your avatar name. If you're a problem solver, then jump on board. This is a problem, you even said it yourself that your son had to cope with it, and Stop with all the leadership nonsense. Quit blaming that. We couldn't stay shut down and you know it. People were losing businesses. IT's here! Deal with it. Shutting down doesn't make this magically disappear.

We need to proceed with life but now it has to be with a little caution, a little more sanitary. That's a good thing. Studies show that you're better able to handle it if you don't lack vitamin D, get out more! That's a good thing! Studies show that obese and diabetics will have more trouble. Eat better foods to be more healthy! That's a good thing! Try to maintain 6ft distance. We don't need to be up in people's faces. That's a good thing!

But saying kids don't need extra curricular activities, which is why I posted in the first place, is a bad thing!
All those things take leadership and that is not nonsense. I do not control Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia, New Jersey. Mississippi etc... This isn't solved on the local level. As long as people can travel, we need to get every state under control, then open up with proper testing and tracing. That is not happening at this point. You and I cannot change that. We pay taxes and vote people into positions for a reason. They need to do their job and stop blaming administrations before them or China. I did not shut down businesses. I cannot open things back up. We blew it and now it's going to take drastic measures to close things up a bit again and then properly open back up. We have handled other viruses. Why not this one? What is different?

Absolutely no reason we should not have schools open and kids participating in anything they want, but we didn't do the hard work early on, so we will need to do it now. Can't be fully open until then.

That guy probably never stepped a foot outside of the burbs in his life. Some of of the posters on here have zero perspective. It's actually sad and a little bit frightening.

All those things take leadership and that is not nonsense. I do not control Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia, New Jersey. Mississippi etc... This isn't solved on the local level. As long as people can travel, we need to get every state under control, then open up with proper testing and tracing. That is not happening at this point. You and I cannot change that. We pay taxes and vote people into positions for a reason. They need to do their job and stop blaming administrations before them or China. I did not shut down businesses. I cannot open things back up. We blew it and now it's going to take drastic measures to close things up a bit again and then properly open back up. We have handled other viruses. Why not this one? What is different?

Absolutely no reason we should not have schools open and kids participating in anything they want, but we didn't do the hard work early on, so we will need to do it now. Can't be fully open until then.
Psycho