Columbus city no sports

I think you don't understand how our government was formed, and why it was formed the way it was formed. The power resides with the states, which is what I prefer. You continue to blame Trump for this. It seems you prefer an all powerful single individual at the federal level to run things. You are living in the wrong country for that. If Trump had chosen to not close things down, you would have been absolutely livid. Ironic that you claim we are arguing both sides.
I prefer that the Federal Government do what the Federal Government is supposed to do. The State Government does what it's supposed to do. My son is a doctor in the Army. Do I blame the Governors for not having the proper stock piles of essential protective gear for Army doctors 3 years into it being the Presidents responsibility? Everything dated back to 2016. For about the 170,000th time. Who is in charge and why is this different from evey other flu or cold we deal with every year? Why is this so botched? Why are the doors flying open to every school next Monday? Other states are an absolute mess.

So, Trump closed things down? When exactly was that. I thought each state did their own thing? No Federal plan for the United States of America.

Response to the virus. ( LOL So we are 13 year old girls now?) 6% die if they end up in the hospital. 0.1% for a really bad flu at the worst case. 171,000 American's will have died from it by the end of this week. Again, from a tiny little virus that is nothing. Why can't it be handled then in responsible manner. Please explain why hospitals all over the country could not handle this? You can't cuz you won't hold your leaders responsible. How many times in your life have you seen Americans on travel bans? Because of a cold? Explain why we are not back to normal.
Covid does not have a 6% death rate.

I prefer that the Federal Government do what the Federal Government is supposed to do. The State Government does what it's supposed to do. My son is a doctor in the Army. Do I blame the Governors for not having the proper stock piles of essential protective gear for Army doctors 3 years into it being the Presidents responsibility? Everything dated back to 2016. For about the 170,000th time. Who is in charge and why is this different from evey other flu or cold we deal with every year? Why is this so botched? Why are the doors flying open to every school next Monday? Other states are an absolute mess.

So, Trump closed things down? When exactly was that. I thought each state did their own thing? No Federal plan for the United States of America.
No states are in a mess. The numbers simply do not support that characterization, despite your hyperventilating about it. And yes, we closed things down, which is why millions lost their jobs. Did you miss that part somehow?

No states are in a mess. The numbers simply do not support that characterization, despite your hyperventilating about it. And yes, we closed things down, which is why millions lost their jobs. Did you miss that part somehow?
STATES closed things down. Each state a different shut down plan. The numbers do support that. You are clueless. Again, we agree that it should not be that bad. It's just a virus like we deal with all the time. Are schools opening up as usual next week? Can you go to the movie theater today? Can you travel to France today? Are you free to go do all the normal legal things you could do this time last year?

STATES closed things down. Each state a different shut down plan. The numbers do support that. You are clueless. Again, we agree that it should not be that bad. It's just a virus like we deal with all the time. Are schools opening up as usual next week? Can you go to the movie theater today? Can you travel to France today? Are you free to go do all the normal legal things you could do this time last year?
No, we can't do those things, because the government that you claim didn't do anything, or enough, or the right things, closed them down. The numbers I am referring to are the deaths. When it is all said and done, the deaths will be no different than the flu, with the exception that the flu will kill the very young, as well as the very old.

No, we can't do those things, because the government that you claim didn't do anything, or enough, or the right things, closed them down. The numbers I am referring to are the deaths. When it is all said and done, the deaths will be no different than the flu, with the exception that the flu will kill the very young, as well as the very old.
I just cannot get over the avg deaths/day in the US for this year so far to past years. Shouldnt we see a huge spike, instead of a decline?

I'm not a big fan of the Columbus City schools superintendent and there director Student Activities.

These kids need something to do they're all going to be doing online schooling this fall. They've got to have an outlet and sports is a major outlet for so many kids, not just inner city kids.

I don't agree with this decision at all. That's just my thoughts.

I'm not a big fan of the Columbus City schools superintendent and there director Student Activities.

These kids need something to do they're all going to be doing online schooling this fall. They've got to have an outlet and sports is a major outlet for so many kids, not just inner city kids.

I don't agree with this decision at all. That's just my thoughts.
Do you live in Columbus? Or any other urban city?

I do and went to Columbus schools. Activities are sometimes the only thing that keeps these kids out of trouble. With nothing good to do, a lot of kids fall into bad situations.
I don't disagree with this. At the same time, I think most posters on here (not you) fail to recognize sports in Columbus City are merely a band-aid to some of the finer, interlinked problems that truly require stitches to take care of.

When it comes to football, there are some hard situations within Columbus like the Hilltop (Briggs and West) and S Linden (McKinley) barely being able to field teams that obviously got harder. I would think going forward the district would be better served for a year or two consolidating some of the struggling programs and combining them into Co-Op programs (Briggs + West, McKinley + Whetstone or Mifflin.) None of these programs I mention have had any real chance to make any noise (West has fallen off a cliff), so playoff purposes really don't matter so much as survival and keeping HS football relevant and meaningful in these neighborhoods.

The bummer is Northland, Beechcroft and Walnut Ridge, Eastmoor have had sustained success in the last two decades and now a year w/o football could hinder that big time. Same goes for Independence, East and South who have been mediocre/bad but have had better participation fortunes than other schools.

I just cannot get over the avg deaths/day in the US for this year so far to past years. Shouldnt we see a huge spike, instead of a decline?
I think we don't know the accurate numbers wrt that, at this time. But that raises another question. Why don't we know these numbers, and how they compared to the past? Seems this would be a fundamental data point that would be easily found.

Look up how many people are hospitalized with Covid and how many die. It's at 6%. I'll round down to 5.65%
That’s hospitalized. You’re post makes it as if it’s total for confirmed cases. And to your 6%. If I’m hospitalized with Covid and I have a 94% chance of walking out, that’s unbelievable. Trust me. I’ve worked in hospitals.

I think we don't know the accurate numbers wrt that, at this time. But that raises another question. Why don't we know these numbers, and how they compared to the past? Seems this would be a fundamental data point that would be easily found.
Seen some numbers from the CDC about deaths/day in the US. This year is behind most of the last 5 years.

Couple Ben Franklin quotes that were worth a thought:

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I like this one too, maybe even a little more...

“Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy!”

Seen some numbers from the CDC about deaths/day in the US. This year is behind most of the last 5 years.
I have seen some that says we are not behind. But again, how can that be? How hard is it to compile this data? I have also seen data that shows the leading killers, heart attacks and cancer, are down significantly. How can that be? Logic tells me they are just attributing many deaths to COVID, regardless of the actual cause.

I don't disagree with this. At the same time, I think most posters on here (not you) fail to recognize sports in Columbus City are merely a band-aid to some of the finer, interlinked problems that truly require stitches to take care of.

When it comes to football, there are some hard situations within Columbus like the Hilltop (Briggs and West) and S Linden (McKinley) barely being able to field teams that obviously got harder. I would think going forward the district would be better served for a year or two consolidating some of the struggling programs and combining them into Co-Op programs (Briggs + West, McKinley + Whetstone or Mifflin.) None of these programs I mention have had any real chance to make any noise (West has fallen off a cliff), so playoff purposes really don't matter so much as survival and keeping HS football relevant and meaningful in these neighborhoods.

The bummer is Northland, Beechcroft and Walnut Ridge, Eastmoor have had sustained success in the last two decades and now a year w/o football could hinder that big time. Same goes for Independence, East and South who have been mediocre/bad but have had better participation fortunes than other schools.

I'm pretty familiar with City League sports. You are correct there are some City League football teams that would be better off combining so that the numbers are better.

But you also have teams like Walnut Ridge, Marion-Franklin, and Eastmoor that have been good year after year. Northland and Beechcroft aren't what they used to be, but they are the best in the North Division.

There are other City sports teams in different seasons that are very solid and should never be compared to as a band-aid.

On the flip side of the kids needing outlets, there’s the reality of managing a large district like Columbus has during a pandemic.

Of the roughly 50,000 students in the district, around 37,000 of them ride a bus to and from school. This alone was the main reason CCS decided a while ago that HS students would be entirely online until January. K-8 kids were going to be split in half, each group attending in person two days a week, online the other three. It was only recently that K-8 also went full online.

I’m surprised they waited this long to suspend (it will be canceled) extra curricular activities. Most of the HS kids would have had no way to get to the school to actually participate.

Deaths are already over 165,000. A terrible Flu is maybe 60,000 for the entire year. They don't have any Idea what the actual number of Flu cases are a year because it isn't tracked unless you are hospitalized. 0.1% of people with a flu in a terrible year die. We are actually bringing the percentage of deaths down. It was 7% last month. I'm sure we will be down to 5% and 4% eventually as we learn more, but the deaths will still keep piling up.

That’s hospitalized. You’re post makes it as if it’s total for confirmed cases. And to your 6%. If I’m hospitalized with Covid and I have a 94% chance of walking out, that’s unbelievable. Trust me. I’ve worked in hospitals.
Regular flu, you have a 99.9+% chance of walking out.

So, you are saying the Trump administration has this planned? For the left? 80 year olds and above don't matter. Got ya. Who's in charge again?
Did 80 year olds matter to that dumb Governor of New York that the media fawns over? The same guy who caused more death by forcing nursing homes to take in Covid-19 patients. Or the clowns running Michigan,Pennsylvania and New Jersey who done the same thing. Apparently not.

That isn't how the death rate is figured.
That's how you compare a normal flu to this flu. A normal year, normal flu, you are never tested. You are not determined to have the flu unless you are hospitalized. Apples to Apples...or Virus to Virus comparison.

Did 80 year olds matter to that dumb Governor of New York that the media fawns over? The same guy who caused more death by forcing nursing homes to take in Covid-19 patients. Or the clowns running Michigan,Pennsylvania and New Jersey who done the same thing. Apparently not.
Horrible. No Federal plan! They messed up, but you can see what can happen. How fast this can Spread. I won't excuse it. New York does show though that you can get a handle on it. California has no excuses anymore. They should have it better controlled. Texas and Arizona should have never even been an issue. Florida is 50/50. But overall, we should be back to normal should we not?

If someone HAD Covid, and then developed pneumonia as a result, and dies of pneumonia (not Covid), they are counted as a Covid death

if someone HAD the flu, and then developed pneumonia as a result, and dies of pneumonia (not the flu), they are NOT counted as a flu death.

That’s just one small example of how comparing the data is apple to oranges.

Hey Psycho,
What could President Trump have done different to save 170,000 people from this terrible illness?

That's how you compare a normal flu to this flu. A normal year, normal flu, you are never tested. You are not determined to have the flu unless you are hospitalized. Apples to Apples...or Virus to Virus comparison.
They do sampling, so they know the death rate. You don't have to test everyone to know this. That is they way statistical sampling works.

Of course you realize the difference between army hospitals and "regular" hospitals don't you? I hope.

You can go to a movie theater today. In fact I am going actually to support them on their first day back. They are showing classics right now but still...I am going.