COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2024-2025

Go ahead and let them strike, only would be hurting themselves.
Really? I'm guessing maybe these parties would be hurt:
- ESPN, Fox and other TV networks.
- The universities themselves lose a ton of revenue
- All of the hotels, restaurants and bars in the vicinity of games
- The youth soccer programs that work stadium concessions to raise the money they need for the season
- etc. etc.

Really? I'm guessing maybe these parties would be hurt:
- ESPN, Fox and other TV networks.
- The universities themselves lose a ton of revenue
- All of the hotels, restaurants and bars in the vicinity of games
- The youth soccer programs that work stadium concessions to raise the money they need for the season
- etc. etc.
All of those lose revenue and the players lose revenue.

Some more realignment talk going on now that recruiting is done...

FSU to the B1G is looking very much like a done deal, while the SEC made sense a year ago it appears that FSU has some really bad blood on the playoff snub this past year that will be tough to over come and the SEC sees them as a duplicate market. Now there is some chatter bubbling up that the biggest plums in the ACC, UNC & UVA, are having internal debates on where to go. The admin want B1G because of the Academic and snooty alumni angle but the Athletic Departments want SEC from a cultural and geography stand point. Will be a big fight as the SEC needs these markets to grow their eyeball foot print for ESPN ratings as schools like Clemson and Miami are in existing SEC markets. After these schools sort things out, probably this summer, the balance will need to figure out what to do with one guy saying the remaining ACC schools could collab with the Big 12 and come up with 2 updated conferences based more on geography to save $s as they will be far behind the big 2 in that category. Send Stanford & Cal to the Big 12 and shoot UC & WVU to the ACC, both Conferences would probably keep their auto bids to the CFP too. Finally everyone outside of the B1G wants to see ND stay as an Independent for football as the only logical move for the Irish is to that conference and it would solidify the B1G as a ratings juggernaut.

Meant to also post this a couple days ago when it was annouced:

Would be a big deal to NCAA football as ESPN & Fox are the big players and would basically move this sport to primarily a streaming entity.

Meant to also post this a couple days ago when it was annouced:

Would be a big deal to NCAA football as ESPN & Fox are the big players and would basically move this sport to primarily a streaming entity.
The Big 10 has a seven year contract that includes CBS and NBC. I wonder how this will work out? Fox games go to a streaming service and CBS and NBC broadcast as they do now? Do CBS broadcast all their games to Paramount+ forcing the viewer to purchase that streaming service too? Would the consumer end up having to buy multiple streaming services and end up with a bill comparable to cable to get the same sport coverage they have now?

To The Victors goes the spoils:

Does he still wrestle?
1707523088932.png
1707523229875.png

The Big 10 has a seven year contract that includes CBS and NBC. I wonder how this will work out? Fox games go to a streaming service and CBS and NBC broadcast as they do now? Do CBS broadcast all their games to Paramount+ forcing the viewer to purchase that streaming service too? Would the consumer end up having to buy multiple streaming services and end up with a bill comparable to cable to get the same sport coverage they have now?
Probably heading towards pay per view for all sports. Got to pay for those billion dollar broadcast rights you know.

I've been getting mentally prepared for that. Less sports viewing, more everything else.
Honestly though, the current TV viewing experience for a college game is not enjoyable with one hour plus of commercials and innumerable delays for review. In contrast I attend an occasional SoCon FBS game. Kick at 1pm, often on the road home at 3:30.

Honestly though, the current TV viewing experience for a college game is not enjoyable with one hour plus of commercials and innumerable delays for review. In contrast I attend an occasional SoCon FBS game. Kick at 1pm, often on the road home at 3:30.
Some times I will start recording a game, wait an hour or so and start watch the recording. I fast forward the commercials and end up catching up with the live broadcast before the game has ended.

At this point major college football is destroying college athletics.

The top 64, or whatever, need to break away from the NCAA and form their own football only organization and break it into whatever divisional line ups and playoff system they desire.

The rest of college athletics can go back to normal with mostly sensible and traditional geographic leagues under NCAA governance. For example, the PAC 12 can be re-formed for all sports but football, while the football programs of those schools are flung all over the place and governed by a different body.
Even though that seems like it would make sense, it can't happen. Ohio State athletics, Michigan athletics, are tied to ALL the sports. Yes, the networks pay for football, but that money then goes to the schools athletic departments. Obviously football would be ok with it, but you'd literally end most of the other sports at the college level becasue they'd have no revenue.

Kind of shocked that Fox or anyone else didn't get in on this thing, this doesn't pass the smell test.
Or did they?

Pure speculation, but the CFP could be headed to pay per view streaming instead of broadcast or cable.

Last edited:
Bummer Omega. Article is behind a paywall. I am saving my bucks for future pay to view college football.:cool:
I subscribe and can give the readers digest version of the column.

First of all listed in the by line are 4 respected journalists in the NCAA FB business including Stewart Mandel, also of note ESPN's news division is not reporting this and the others are citing only the Athletic column.

Deal is not done but framework is in place; they are waiting on the finalization of the CFP format, they vote on that 1st then the media deal. Current payout is $608 million a year, rumored payment in the new deal is $1.3 billion a year. (Remember there is more inventory with the expanded field.) Need to also figure out payment for the final 2 years of the current agreement as it did not take into account the expansion. ESPN has the right to sub license games to other media entities, including digital platforms, at its discretion. ESPN now controls all NCAA championship games for the NCAA except men's basketball.

Again to me this doesn't past the smell test. Why not go the route of the NFL and rotate this thing a bit to maximize the payment? You would think that Fox/CBS/NBC would want some games as the ratings for live football are fantastic and demand a premium from advertisers. Also could be a good way to get folks to buy subscriptions to their streaming platforms if they want to go that route.

Way to early CFB SP+ rankings:

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Oregon
4. Texas
5. Michigan
6. Alabama
7. Penn State
8. Ole Miss
9. Notre Dame
10. LSU
11. Mizzou
12. Florida State

Pending if the CFP includes the G5 or not, are these teams the participants in the first ever FBS 22 team platoffs?

And speaking of money:

A lot of reports out that this was an inaccurate column and there have been no talks about media rights as they still need to navigate how the playoffs will be laid out before talking $s. Nobody is quite sure who planted the story as many fully expect a more formal multi company bid to be done before announcing the final package. Also of note are the initial studies by ESPN & FOX show that the 1st round games might not be as desirable as the CFP was hoping especially if they have to be played on a mid-week night to accommodate the NFL's December schedule which includes games Saturday-Monday.

A lot of reports out that this was an inaccurate column and there have been no talks about media rights as they still need to navigate how the playoffs will be laid out before talking $s. Nobody is quite sure who planted the story as many fully expect a more formal multi company bid to be done before announcing the final package. Also of note are the initial studies by ESPN & FOX show that the 1st round games might not be as desirable as the CFP was hoping especially if they have to be played on a mid-week night to accommodate the NFL's December schedule which includes games Saturday-Monday.
Interesting. In retrospect, the lack of protest by the other media outlets might be telling .

Basically Oregon St. & Washington St. were filibustering the process and to buy their vote the CFP is giving them Power Conference $s for the next 2 years.

Also of note is starting in 2026 there is an expectation that the NY 6 Bowls will no longer have conference tie ins so that when possible geography is the primary decider on where a team plays. The old B1G teams better get Indy or some domed NFL stadium to step up so the Midwestern teams have a place to play nearby.

So the highest ranked group of 5 school gets in, regardless of how high they are ranked?
Although it does not specify G5, the five highest ranked conference champs would have to include a G5 since there are now only 4 of the original P5 conferences left.

Way to early CFB SP+ rankings:

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Oregon
4. Texas
5. Michigan
6. Alabama
7. Penn State
8. Ole Miss
9. Notre Dame
10. LSU
11. Mizzou
12. Florida State

Pending if the CFP includes the G5 or not, are these teams the participants in the first ever FBS 22 team platoffs?
You have to put Tennessee in there somewhere. They looked awful tough with Nico Iamaleava at QB in the Citrus bowl. They just might win the SEC next year.

At first glance that doesn’t seem to make sense. So they could be outside the top 12 and get in?
I think this was done to buy their votes for the format. The next two years are basically a transition anyway until the the long game kicks in starting in 2026, there might be some weird results like a 11-1 Liberty ranked 18 getting in but that will be OK for a couple of years. Either it will be a couple of one off type champs or more than likely the end of the 4 school playoff era that was dominated by the big names of the game.

Many think in '26 we will have a power 2 conference alignment with everyone else fighting for scraps; a playoff spot being the ceiling for anyone outside of the B1G & the SEC. We already see it developing with the "advisory group" that is forming between the SEC & the B1G, one person I talked to sees the power divide in the future as Sankey being the operations guy and Petitti being the business and media guy. Still a fluid situation as so much can change but today the Presidents meet and many think this will be the 1st time the Power 2 will really assert their will. Expect to hear some kind of news later today.