COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2024-2025

bob99

We are into an era never seen before in college football. So many subplots. The first 12 team college playoffs. Good or bad? Shouldn't leave to many questions about the National Championship being won on the field against the most deserving teams. Less importance on regular season games. First year of the expanded conferences and the demise of the Pac as a conference. The big 4 conferences will have 16 to 18 members in 2024. The retirement of the GOAT. Does Alabama take a step back being an annual national power? Does Kirby Smart and Georgia step into the best team with the best coach shoes? With the tidal wave created by Saban leaving, causing coaches to move around playing musical chairs, what will the teams with new coaches look like in 2024? The 30 day transfer portal for players on teams changing coaches is changing the landscape of college football. Weakening some and strengthening others. When all is said and done and after the spring open portal the saying of not knowing the team without buying a program may have never been truer. The questions about Michigan and the NCAA investigations will be an ongoing drama. How long it will take and the results of the final decisions could be monumental. Michigan, another school losing their head coach and facing players transferring, may be facing a major rebuild unlike any other. Preseason polls are totally worthless until the dust clears. That could remain unclear until the spring transfers are completed and the final team rosters are known. This could be the year of college football news every day all year long. I am looking forward to it.

We are into an era never seen before in college football. So many subplots. The first 12 team college playoffs. Good or bad? Shouldn't leave to many questions about the National Championship being won on the field against the most deserving teams. Less importance on regular season games. First year of the expanded conferences and the demise of the Pac as a conference. The big 4 conferences will have 16 to 18 members in 2024. The retirement of the GOAT. Does Alabama take a step back being an annual national power? Does Kirby Smart and Georgia step into the best team with the best coach shoes? With the tidal wave created by Saban leaving, causing coaches to move around playing musical chairs, what will the teams with new coaches look like in 2024? The 30 day transfer portal for players on teams changing coaches is changing the landscape of college football. Weakening some and strengthening others. When all is said and done and after the spring open portal the saying of not knowing the team without buying a program may have never been truer. The questions about Michigan and the NCAA investigations will be an ongoing drama. How long it will take and the results of the final decisions could be monumental. Michigan, another school losing their head coach and facing players transferring, may be facing a major rebuild unlike any other. Preseason polls are totally worthless until the dust clears. That could remain unclear until the spring transfers are completed and the final team rosters are known. This could be the year of college football news every day all year long. I am looking forward to it.
Good summary analysis. The only thing certain about 2024 is the uncertainty. Carousel of coaches, players, and teams. Pay for play and free agency on steroids. Just don't think any predictions can be made until after the second portal closes in May.

A lot of chatter starting back up about FSU leaving the ACC regardless of the grant of rights suite and now it appears they might be talking to a partner(s), primarily UNC, to help make the potential move to the B1G more of a reality. The stuff appears very vague at this time but it appears inevitable , NCAA football is now like Europe after WW 2 where the winners start to carve up what is left.

A lot of chatter starting back up about FSU leaving the ACC regardless of the grant of rights suite and now it appears they might be talking to a partner(s), primarily UNC, to help make the potential move to the B1G more of a reality. The stuff appears very vague at this time but it appears inevitable , NCAA football is now like Europe after WW 2 where the winners start to carve up what is left.
I heard the BIG is interested in FSU, UNC, Miami and Virgina. Looks like 24 teams may be the target goal of the BIG and the SEC. Get those four and add Notre Dame and Duke and call it a day.

The first step towards a "Super College Football" division with rules and regulations separate from the NCAA?

At this point major college football is destroying college athletics.

The top 64, or whatever, need to break away from the NCAA and form their own football only organization and break it into whatever divisional line ups and playoff system they desire.

The rest of college athletics can go back to normal with mostly sensible and traditional geographic leagues under NCAA governance. For example, the PAC 12 can be re-formed for all sports but football, while the football programs of those schools are flung all over the place and governed by a different body.

At this point major college football is destroying college athletics.

The top 64, or whatever, need to break away from the NCAA and form their own football only organization and break it into whatever divisional line ups and playoff system they desire.

The rest of college athletics can go back to normal with mostly sensible and traditional geographic leagues under NCAA governance. For example, the PAC 12 can be re-formed for all sports but football, while the football programs of those schools are flung all over the place and governed by a different body.
The NCAA is the problem. Started NIL with no regulations and now they pick and choose certain cases to investigate

They didn’t want to start NIL, transfer portals or any of this craziness. Those all came about from lawsuits.
I meant when NIL started. My fault. To add to your point though, the NCAA doesn’t want to do much of anything

Last edited:
They didn’t want to start NIL, transfer portals or any of this craziness. Those all came about from lawsuits.
This ^^^^.
Still the NCAA's refusal to adapt and change until the courts and state legislatures forced their hand created the chaos we see today.

And next up will be the Olympic sports athletes that will challenge why is there only 4 FULL years of eligibility? Most students take more than 4 years to get an undergraduate degree and why is graduate school not accounted for? If you are a great swimmer why not stay at Stanford for a couple Olympic cycles and get not only great training but also a great education for free plus earn NIL $s by endorsement deals.

And next up will be the Olympic sports athletes that will challenge why is there only 4 FULL years of eligibility? Most students take more than 4 years to get an undergraduate degree and why is graduate school not accounted for? If you are a great swimmer why not stay at Stanford for a couple Olympic cycles and get not only great training but also a great education for free plus earn NIL $s by endorsement deals.
I mean if you are in a union, how would they get rid of you? Unless you go pro, you will be protected by the union.

I mean if you are in a union, how would they get rid of you? Unless you go pro, you will be protected by the union.
If it is a union they will still need to negotiate a contract. If they are unwilling to "work" without a contract, they don't play.

How will NIL fit into that?
Who will the union contract with? If they are unionizing as employees of the university they are attending, NIL isn't controlled by the university. Will they be drawing a salary from the university? The upper echelon players would be stupid to join the union. They are better off being free agents like they are now.

Who will the union contract with? If they are unionizing as employees of the university they are attending, NIL isn't controlled by the university. Will they be drawing a salary from the university? The upper echelon players would be stupid to join the union. They are better off being free agents like they are now.
They will all be employees of the university. That is the single goal of the union.

They will all be employees of the university. That is the single goal of the union.
Yes. The university doesn't control NIL. A contract may limit what a player can make. If I can make more money from NIL, I won't want to join a union. Some of the lesser sports and less financially stable schools, unionization might kill some sports at the university.

Depends on your point of view. All unions are not equal. All employers are not equal. Unions at the auto companies have more clout than a union at a food service industry. A union might be good at a Dartmouth. I doubt Dartmouth has much if any NIL opportunities. I can't see a national union for the major sports. I don't think the players at the major schools would want to earn the same as Dartmouth athletes.

Not likely to be good at all if you enjoy the current state of college football. Add in when the cable model fails there will be less TV money to go around too. What benefit do you see a union providing?
I don’t enjoy the current state of CFB. These kids have become too greedy and making them employees limits their power over these colleges.