Battle of Pickerington - OCC

I love how every year about this time PN comes on here saying how great they are going to be. Last years “BUILDING A DYNASTY” post was hilarious. With all the recruiting they do each and ever year they have only beat PC 1 time in the past 11 years ( and that was because PC had a late fumble ). 6-4 is not a dynasty. What really cracks me up is how you describe PN as loaded this with a good amount of lineman? LOL. The only OL returning are Lahr (which he is not bad) and Annarino (who PN recruited away from PC). Unless PN recruited a bunch of massive OL they will be just line last year very average. DL has the Olentangy recruit coming back (McCullom ) who is a very good player. But the rest of the DL is gone to graduation. Unless there is some magical pipeline of lineman that have suddenly showed up since season end I don’t see how they can say they have a good amount of good lineman.

PC (on the other hand) goes through replacing great players each year. This year will be no exception. But the talent pool at PC is deep this year (much deeper than last year). And both sides of the ball will have big, strong, physical lineman. The difference this year is the players are not as experienced as the ones that graduated (Egan and Smith will be hard positions to replace). But mark my word the lineman are huge. Speed and depth will also be a huge part of PC’s team this year. Remember, Biles 3 years ago was a JV kid. No one knew who he was until his junior year. Right out of the gate everyone asked who he was. We knew all along…………he was a JV kid that came through the program.

The retirement of Coach Sharrett will be odd at first. But Lomanico has been with the program since the 90’s and is an outstanding coach. The entire coaching staff is back. So, there will be little change (if any) at PC this year.

Finally, 8-2 at worse is your prediction for PN? Well good luck with that. Elder will be a huge hurdle in “The Pit!” 0-1 to start the season could unravel PN early and quickly when that happen.
Yeah after watching both teams last season PC clearly has championship mentality that spreads through the program.The coaching staff especially on defense do a great job so I agree on the odd at first statement. I would like to see them involve the pass game more and if successful they will be on the same path of winning.

PN has talent but I think a change in coaching staff would be the solution. I don’t see them winning against Elder and could be a downhill season if what you say is true about the offensive line.

PC has always had big strong lineman. This year will be no different. Big strong kids, and if there was a bench press on the 50 yard line, they’d have won state the last two years. Problem is they have a hard time moving and blocking DL that can move. Elder , Wayne, Gahanna, and even north gave them fits up front. None of them had close to the size up front as PC

And just like PC- PN has some classes with good sized kids coming up. That’s been the difference- finally getting a little depth up front

imo, both qbs need to take a step for them to make a run

And just like PC- PN has some classes with good sized kids coming up. That’s been the difference- finally getting a little depth up front

imo, both qbs need to take a step for them to make a run
The difference has been coaching TBH. PN is stuck between a rock and a hard place until a change is made. They have the pieces, but coaching seems to be holding them up.

The difference has been coaching TBH. PN is stuck between a rock and a hard place until a change is made. They have the pieces, but coaching seems to be holding them up.
I’d usually agree with that- but in the playoff rematch last year, that was the best the PN O has looked against PC since Jimmy. Most of the PC/PN games are close regardless of coaching- PC ends up overwhelming them on Defense.
Last game, however, the PN coaching staff made adjustments(!). A bad snap away from that game getting interesting bc PC couldn’t stop their passing game. Lets see if they can take that into this season and see if they can live up to the potential we’ve been hearing about

We can talk about both teams but Gahanna smoked both of them last year- are they the new PC? They have no reason not to be with the size of that school

We can talk about both teams but Gahanna smoked both of them last year- are they the new PC? They have no reason not to be with the size of that school
Gahanna has a great opportunity to build on to the success of last season. The question is will they take a step forward or backwards.

Yeah after watching both teams last season PC clearly has championship mentality that spreads through the program.The coaching staff especially on defense do a great job so I agree on the odd at first statement. I would like to see them involve the pass game more and if successful they will be on the same path of winning.

PN has talent but I think a change in coaching staff would be the solution. I don’t see them winning against Elder and could be a downhill season if what you say is true about the offensive line.

Are you kidding me? PC lost the first game 22-20. Had several chances to win the game but did not take advantage of the opportunities that were given. Game 2 I will say Gahanna made great adjustments in the second half and took over the game. However, lets not forget that Gahanna was down 14-7 at halftime against PC. Funny but when PC gets beat the whole world thinks they are done. Keep thinking that. When PC steps on the field this year you will see size, speed, depth and a lot of intensity. PC wont forget what happened last year. Next man up!

Are you kidding me? PC lost the first game 22-20. Had several chances to win the game but did not take advantage of the opportunities that were given. Game 2 I will say Gahanna made great adjustments in the second half and took over the game. However, let’s not forget that Gahanna was down 14-7 at halftime against PC. Funny but when PC gets beat the whole world thinks they are done. Keep thinking that. When PC steps on the field this year you will see size, speed, depth and a lot of intensity. PC wont forget what happened last year. Next man up!
How is that different for PC? Every year they win the “Getting off the bus” test. Always have size, speed, etc. You called it when they got smoked in the playoffs- hate to say it but Gahanna made adjustments- where were PC’s?
no doubt they’ll be one of the last ones in R3 and have a chance to win it, but it’s wide open this year

How is that different for PC? Every year they win the “Getting off the bus” test. Always have size, speed, etc. You called it when they got smoked in the playoffs- hate to say it but Gahanna made adjustments- where were PC’s?
no doubt they’ll be one of the last ones in R3 and have a chance to win it, but it’s wide open this year
As I stated Gahanna made adjustments in the second half of the playoff game. They found an opening in the defense and exploited it. That was just great adjustments that were made by Gahanna. PC tried to adjust but did not have the personnel to quick strike against the Gahanna defensive front. From what I was told this was Gahanna's best team in over 2 decades. They lost a lot of players last year but still have a very nice stable of talent waiting in the wings. PC will rebound like they always do. A lot of size and speed this year. Just need experience. That will come with time.

I imagine when we’re using phrasings like “being the next PC”, we’re talking about (at minimum) who is best positioned to be as regionally dominant as PC is. “Is.” Present tense. Six regional titles in twelve seasons. Three of those years where they didn’t win were the gloated Region 2 with SW Ohio spilled in and Division I was split into two halves. The non-PC teams to win regional crowns (Region 3) in that span were North (2011) — Central reels off five straight from 2016-2020 — UA (2021) and Gahanna (2022.)

Being “the next PC” is a climb. It’s a heavy title. It’s doubtful any program in Central OH is going to reach the heights Jay Sharrett’s PC reached — state rings, let alone state runner-ups. On a regional scale it’s still impressive but comparatively lower-hanging fruit. UA has the facilities and student base that makes the foundation to be regionally-dominant possible; they also have one of the best coaches in the state. Gahanna has the student base that helps form the foundation; they also didn’t get to where they are right now without a ton of patience put toward Bruce Ward. North has always had one of the highest-ceiling programs in Central OH — they just have had nothing to truly show for it in a decade. New Albany doesn’t have the recent accolades at the level that UA nor G-L have had, but even they are within earshot of potentially getting toward PC-level dominance of Region 3 (at least closer toward it than North has been.)

An under the radar team with potential is Grove City. This team has a QB who I believe is the best passer in Central Ohio .Their coaching staff did a great job providing plays for him to showcase his arm talent. GC will need a decent line to protect the pocket.

An under the radar team with potential is Grove City. This team has a QB who I believe is the best passer in Central Ohio .Their coaching staff did a great job providing plays for him to showcase his arm talent. GC will need a decent line to protect the pocket.
I like what GC did last year, and think that Pappas is a good HS QB. Are they (can they be) further ahead competitively than Westerville Central? WC is probably a good measuring stick for most of the Region.

Coaching - Central > North

Even with the Central head coaching change I think they may be a couple steps ahead of North.

What about offense, defense or special teams

GC QB is talented with a nice arm , moves around the pocket well , has obviously put some time in mechanically and will be productive . This being said they are a ways off still from being a real factor in November . No shame being run out by last years Gahanna team and even to a lesser extent New Albany , but I think what shows they have a bit to go yet is that playoff loss to Davidson . Just not quite there . May be they take a nice leap this year .

Pick Central will take a step back. Lack skill talent
Other than the 9th grade QB, I didn't see any impressive underclassmen on offense. Maybe there were some jv kids that I never saw who will grow into starting varsity positions. It will be interesting to see if the offensive philosophy changes to where there's at least the threat of passing game. I think PN will overcome their poor coaching and finally break through next season.

Other than the 9th grade QB, I didn't see any impressive underclassmen on offense. Maybe there were some jv kids that I never saw who will grow into starting varsity positions. It will be interesting to see if the offensive philosophy changes to where there's at least the threat of passing game. I think PN will overcome their poor coaching and finally break through next season.
To make a statement like that shows you know nothing about PC. The fact that you say they do not have any impressive underclassman on offense is an ignorant statement. Year in and year out PC has to replace great athletes with the JV kids waiting there turn. This year will be no exception. There is a large number of great athletes just waiting to step in this year. For one, there are a good number of underclassmen that are returning with varsity experience from last year. The JV team went undefeated. And the freshman team has 1 loss and 1 tie. So the pool is far from empty.

As far as PN...........no comment.

To make a statement like that shows you know nothing about PC. The fact that you say they do not have any impressive underclassman on offense is an ignorant statement. Year in and year out PC has to replace great athletes with the JV kids waiting there turn. This year will be no exception. There is a large number of great athletes just waiting to step in this year. For one, there are a good number of underclassmen that are returning with varsity experience from last year. The JV team went undefeated. And the freshman team has 1 loss and 1 tie. So the pool is far from empty.

As far as PN...........no comment.
Haha! Did you actually go to any PC games last year? I went to all but the Elder game. The offense was putrid all year... no firepower on the ground or through the air. Sharrett had to coach his a** off to get the Tigers to regional semifinals. It was a matter of 'talent' not coaching... Only 4-5 returning starters (40+ graduating seniors). So, if you want to believe that some unnamed kids from the j.v. team (who went 6-0) are going to magically become stars -- all I can say is: I hope you are right!!

Haha! Did you actually go to any PC games last year? I went to all but the Elder game. The offense was putrid all year... no firepower on the ground or through the air. Sharrett had to coach his a** off to get the Tigers to regional semifinals. It was a matter of 'talent' not coaching... Only 4-5 returning starters (40+ graduating seniors). So, if you want to believe that some unnamed kids from the j.v. team (who went 6-0) are going to magically become stars -- all I can say is: I hope you are right!!
Gee "Captain Obvious" I went to every game last year. Actually, I have been to every game the past 10+ years. Sharrett is loyal to his seniors (even if they are not that talented). Last year’s team had to manage without Sonny Styles (early enrollee at OSU) and Biles (season ending injury at Gahanna). They had to result to playing guys that have never played before. They won out until they got to the third round of the playoffs. They did lose a lot of seniors from last year. But let’s remember PC is always loyal to seniors. Underclassman have to work their way into the lineup. If you were at every game (except the Elder game) you will notice how many young players were rotating into each game each week. Those players are back this year. Guys like Rocco Williams, Terrance Alexander, A.J. Madison and Dominic Shaw are all playmakers that return with a ton of experience on offense. Factor in the massive OL that will be blocking for them and the talented youngsters and you have the making of potentially a very good team. All they need is game experience. Last year the offense had to basically be one dimensional. The passing offense was not like it was in past years. One thing that will be evident this year will be the upgrade at QB. Williams can flat out throw. Names like Sherone White Jr., Kaejuan Alexander, Myles Harrision, Michael Jones, Justin McCoy and Isaac Dukes will all be new names that will step in on offense. Remember, 3 years ago Biles was an unknown on the JV team behind Lorenzo Styles (Notre Dame WR) and Garner Wallace (DB at Northwestern). This year will be no exception.

I got you beat by about 20 yrs... Like i said, I hope you're right. The thing is, none of those guys you called out are proven commodities. Madison showed flashes, but only against poor competition. Williams was the best passer last year, but the O-line rarely gave him time. When Alexander played QB, he couldn't pass and the defenses just played him to run the option. We have one full-time returning offensive lineman, one kid who was a good back-up receiver. So, we have to replace the starting QB, RB, TE, both receivers and 4 O-linemen. I am definitely anxious to see Harden (who you didn't mention) on the field. I thought it odd that you didn't mention him since he has been so highly touted. Oh, and before I forget, we also have to replace the best coach in central Ohio. Next season will be a challenge - in my humble opinion.

I got you beat by about 20 yrs... Like i said, I hope you're right. The thing is, none of those guys you called out are proven commodities. Madison showed flashes, but only against poor competition. Williams was the best passer last year, but the O-line rarely gave him time. When Alexander played QB, he couldn't pass and the defenses just played him to run the option. We have one full-time returning offensive lineman, one kid who was a good back-up receiver. So, we have to replace the starting QB, RB, TE, both receivers and 4 O-linemen. I am definitely anxious to see Harden (who you didn't mention) on the field. I thought it odd that you didn't mention him since he has been so highly touted. Oh, and before I forget, we also have to replace the best coach in central Ohio. Next season will be a challenge - in my humble opinion.
Well then you should know that for over 20 years PC has to replace talent each and every year. Each year none of the players stepping in are proven commodities. As I stated before Coach Sharrett is loyal to the seniors. That being said, QB play could have been better if blocking was better. But two first year senior starters that maybe were not that solid contributed to a lot of pressure on all 3 QBs. The senior QB was not a difference maker. Williams should be a huge upgrade over last years senior QB. Justin Terry is a monster on the OL. Replacing Egan and Smith will be a very difficult task. But, lets not forget, Jackson, Smith and DiNardo rotated onto the OL each and every game last year. So, it’s not like there are just guys that have not played a ton on Friday nights already. I did not mention any OL ( except for Egan and Smith ) in the past because you mentioned the talent on offense was not there. Harden definitely passes the look test (6’4” 295 pounds). We shall see how that translates onto the field this year. Alex Moorehead is a new OL candidate that no one knows about. He is a junior to be C/G and is one of the strongest players on PC this year ( already benching 400+ ). Replacing Coach Sharrett will be very difficult. But, since you have followed the program for over 20 years, I am sure you remember when Jack Johnson stepped down and an unknown DC name Jay Sharrett was appointed the HC. Then the defensive assistant named Jeff Lomonico was named the DC. All Coach Sharrett and Coach Lomanico did was build one of the greatest programs that Central Ohio has ever seen. Coach Lomanico has now taken over and retained the entire coaching staff. So I could see some small changes initially. But the basic PC philosophy ( physical, fast, were you out football ) will be in place this year. Each year is a challenge because each year they have to reload. Consistently they have done that. The last time PC missed the playoffs was 2005. 18 years in a row making the playoffs means this…………….whatever they are doing each and every year is working. I would not think anything different would happen this year.

Word on the street is Pickerington High School North has a new enrollee, hailing from horse and buggy territory.

He’s also pretty good at football.

Word on the street is Pickerington High School North has a new enrollee, hailing from horse and buggy territory.

He’s also pretty good at football.
On paper they have a great offense. Let’s see if they can get over their biggest hurdle……coaching