Ask The Ref?

USA70PP

Came across a replay of a football game and tuned in.
Jackson State and Alabama State.
A. State backed up to the one yard line. Run takes it to the two yard line. A State is then called for delay of game. Question I have is could J State have declined the penalty?
Is there a number of penalties that must be accepted?

zebrastripes

Came across a replay of a football game and tuned in.
Jackson State and Alabama State.
A. State backed up to the one yard line. Run takes it to the two yard line. A State is then called for delay of game. Question I have is could J State have declined the penalty?
Is there a number of penalties that must be accepted?
Yes they can decline the penalty, no a penalty never has to be accepted.

chs1971

Thanks, thought as much.
Zebrastripes answered your question, but I have a question.

Was the delay of game foul called just before the snap of the two yard run, or before the next play?

If it was called before the two yard run the ball was dead. If it was 3rd down on the 1 yard line and J State accepted the penalty it would be 3rd down on the 1/2 yard line. If they declined it would be 3rd down on the 1 yard line, but there was no option to have the 2 yard run stand because that happened while the ball was dead.

USA70PP

Zebrastripes answered your question, but I have a question.

Was the delay of game foul called just before the snap of the two yard run, or before the next play?

If it was called before the two yard run the ball was dead. If it was 3rd down on the 1 yard line and J State accepted the penalty it would be 3rd down on the 1/2 yard line. If they declined it would be 3rd down on the 1 yard line, but there was no option to have the 2 yard run stand because that happened while the ball was dead.
Before the ball was snapped. A State had a goat rope with shifts and never got the ball snapped.