2023 TRC football

Covington not sure of anymore. Heard it over the weekend.
Interesting. As a parent I would ask why the school feels they have the right to subject my minor child to a drug test to participate in a sporting event. Again, not arguing this because I think kids should be doing drugs, but just because something is a good thing doesnt mean a government entity should have the right to force people to do it. But we are getting dangerously close to political discussions. Back to football!

Is that why the numbers have dropped off the face of the earth? Lol
Doubtful but could be some not sure what the testing is for or how true. I was out with some friends Saturday and one of them said something about it. That’s why I was asking if it was something maybe the TRC did or lone school.

Interesting. New Bremen is a wild card to me and we'll see how they do against Mechanicsburg but considering West Lib...they have been down and may not be the best to judge for a 7-7, they are kind of a full package deal and can be very good. Northwestern, they couldn't beat themselves out of a wet paper bag in a 7-7 or inter-squad scrimmage.

Dont get me wrong, I love Riverside football and going to games in De Graff and I love how hard those kids play and there always seems to be talent there.. I even picked them to beat Northridge but in reality, MU is the team to beat. When MU is down they are probably still better than most if not all TRC teams when they are up

IMO, MU needs to look to join the CBC or OHC and those conferences would probably exchange Northwestern or Catholic Central...lol.
Riverside will be fine. I think they win the TRC this year. I think Milton is going to be down. Bethel might be a wildcard, doubt it though. I think Lehman, Milton and Riverside will be the top 3. MU is much smaller than most CBC schools and the OHC is hella travel.

Riverside will be fine. I think they win the TRC this year. I think Milton is going to be down. Bethel might be a wildcard, doubt it though. I think Lehman, Milton and Riverside will be the top 3. MU is much smaller than most CBC schools and the OHC is hella travel.
I'm tracking what you are saying. I do like this league but maybe not so much with MU in it.

I have been to several TRC venues and my favorite is Riverside. Great atmosphere, good players and good people. IMO, this is what Friday Night football games are about. Plus, they give us old vets a designated parking spots, lol.

Not sure why so much negativity about Milton on here. I’d like to know what the motivation is. Everyone knew that Milton was a football powerhouse. They have been since the 70s and maybe earlier. I think any school that can compete in the SWBL, will dominate in the TRC. Riverside is a very good little school. Covington will be back at some point, I’m sure.
as for venues, no one gets you closer to the action than Milton and Lehman. I think Lehman is a nicer facility but MU has a great atmosphere. Having a track around the field pushes everyone away from the field. Riverside seems nice, but there are a lot of schools that honor the vets. Not sure how Bethel’s new field is. Best small school field to me is New Bremen. That is a great field.

I think most teams in the OHC would love to add Riverside and Milton Union. Riverside for sure, I think they've always been the "next school up." They were a part of the original OHC plan back in 2001. Milton Union would be a bit of a drive for schools like Fairbanks and Triad, but we've seen the OHC overlook that to add good competition (ie West Jeff). I think the only school in danger of leaving the OHC at this point is Catholic Central. I believe that everyone else is fairly content with each other. I still think there's a chance that WLS at some point may move to the CBC or West Jeff may get fed up and head back to a Columbus area league.

Saw some talk earlier on the Riverside/New Bremen/WLS/Northwestern 7 on 7. I agree that the Riverside offense looked the best. Platfoot is a "dude." New Bremen seemed to be working through some kinks with the new QB. Northwestern honestly didn't look bad. I saw a great comment on WLS - if they're doing "okay" in a 7 on 7, that's a great sign. WLS will be a ground and pound team, maybe throwing 10 passes a game. Riverside and WLS scrimmage in 2 weeks and I think that's going to be a great match-up and tell us a lot about both teams.

I believe the 2023 TRC title is between Milton Union and Riverside.

Side note, Miami East was at WLS for a 7 on 7 last night with Kenton Ridge and USV. They looked athletic and if they have any sort of a line, I think could be a sneaky sleeper in the TRC. Probably the most energy and tempo that I've see so far this year through three 7 on 7s. I think they made a good hire with their new HC.

Not sure why so much negativity about Milton on here. I’d like to know what the motivation is. Everyone knew that Milton was a football powerhouse. They have been since the 70s and maybe earlier. I think any school that can compete in the SWBL, will dominate in the TRC. Riverside is a very good little school. Covington will be back at some point, I’m sure.
as for venues, no one gets you closer to the action than Milton and Lehman. I think Lehman is a nicer facility but MU has a great atmosphere. Having a track around the field pushes everyone away from the field. Riverside seems nice, but there are a lot of schools that honor the vets. Not sure how Bethel’s new field is. Best small school field to me is New Bremen. That is a great field.
I think most of the hate going to Milton is just people with recency bias. As you said, Milton has always fielded a good football team, but the last two years has been one of their better stretches. And it came at a time when Miami East, Covington, and Lehman have been down compared to the last two decades. Lehman and Milton played a couple times in the late 2000's and I believe Lehman won one and Milton won one in OT. I think if Lehman, East, and Covington get back on track and the way Bethel is trending along with Riverside this will be a competitive league with a different champion every year or every couple years. People need to realize this is only the third year of the league and the first two years came when most teams were down and Milton was up big. We need 3 or 4 teams to level up and this will be a good football conference.

As far as venues, Lehman's is nice and does sit right on the field, but since it is shared with a D2 school it never feels like a packed house so that takes away from it. Milton's is nice and I do agree with you that having a track around a field takes away from the atmosphere a bit. There are a lot of great stadiums around, but unfortunately due to logistics and cost they have tracks, which I understand, but does take away from it.

I think most teams in the OHC would love to add Riverside and Milton Union. Riverside for sure, I think they've always been the "next school up." They were a part of the original OHC plan back in 2001. Milton Union would be a bit of a drive for schools like Fairbanks and Triad, but we've seen the OHC overlook that to add good competition (ie West Jeff). I think the only school in danger of leaving the OHC at this point is Catholic Central. I believe that everyone else is fairly content with each other. I still think there's a chance that WLS at some point may move to the CBC or West Jeff may get fed up and head back to a Columbus area league.

Saw some talk earlier on the Riverside/New Bremen/WLS/Northwestern 7 on 7. I agree that the Riverside offense looked the best. Platfoot is a "dude." New Bremen seemed to be working through some kinks with the new QB. Northwestern honestly didn't look bad. I saw a great comment on WLS - if they're doing "okay" in a 7 on 7, that's a great sign. WLS will be a ground and pound team, maybe throwing 10 passes a game. Riverside and WLS scrimmage in 2 weeks and I think that's going to be a great match-up and tell us a lot about both teams.

I believe the 2023 TRC title is between Milton Union and Riverside.

Side note, Miami East was at WLS for a 7 on 7 last night with Kenton Ridge and USV. They looked athletic and if they have any sort of a line, I think could be a sneaky sleeper in the TRC. Probably the most energy and tempo that I've see so far this year through three 7 on 7s. I think they made a good hire with their new HC.
would love to see Riverside replace SCC and then bump Northeastern to the south. that would solidify the league geographically and competitively.

A lot of talk that Riverside is one of the favorites to win the TRC this year. Do they have some talent coming up? I know the QB is back, but they are losing their leading rusher and leading receiver, who also were top of the league in their respective categories. I know Riverside is a good team and will be good again this year, but everyone is talking about how much MU lost from last year and either Riverside has some studs to replace those two athletes, or people are overlooking what Riverside lost because of how much MU lost. just curious on peoples thoughts. Weiskittle will probably be the leading authority on this.

A lot of talk that Riverside is one of the favorites to win the TRC this year. Do they have some talent coming up? I know the QB is back, but they are losing their leading rusher and leading receiver, who also were top of the league in their respective categories. I know Riverside is a good team and will be good again this year, but everyone is talking about how much MU lost from last year and either Riverside has some studs to replace those two athletes, or people are overlooking what Riverside lost because of how much MU lost. just curious on peoples thoughts. Weiskittle will probably be the leading authority on this.
I’ve said for 5 years this is Riverside’s window with generational talent. They did lose some studs, but the current senior and junior classes have been loaded for a while. Not sure what they have after that.

Like @wls_color said, the senior and junior classes are athletic. Unfortunately hasn’t translated to many wins in the other sports.
In 2020 Riverside had Kale Long at RB, he was the D7 OPOY, they knocked off #2 Tri Village in the playoffs at TV that season. The following year to replace Long, they placed Shockey there, who was the 3rd leading receiver on the team in 2020. Shockey proceeded to run for 1,400+ (2021), and 1,600+ (2022) the next two seasons (in the TRC and not the NWCC). The guy slated to be the next RB, was the 2nd leading receiver on the team last season, Stotler, and he’s been the backup RB the last two seasons to Shockey. It seems the Pirates keep rocking the next man up mentality, and their oline should be a strength again this year. So, as a Riverside fan, not sure if Riverside should be the favorites since MU hasn’t lost a TRC game in two years. But I’d say the Pirates should definitely compete.

Excited to hear about ME, hopefully the coaching change brings the Vikings back to their winning ways, that’ll make the TRC even stronger. Wonder if Covington is wishing they would’ve made a change or not..

Miami East has always had a very good football program with spurts of being down. Overall, with new turf and a new coach, I would agree that they might be a sleeper. I like that the other teams are recovering from a down period. Based on size, Milton should be favored most years. Riverside has a very experienced QB and I think he will have a banner year. Miami East needs to get the Enis kid on the football field. Any coaching changes other than M East?

Miami East has always had a very good football program with spurts of being down. Overall, with new turf and a new coach, I would agree that they might be a sleeper. I like that the other teams are recovering from a down period. Based on size, Milton should be favored most years. Riverside has a very experienced QB and I think he will have a banner year. Miami East needs to get the Enis kid on the football field. Any coaching changes other than M East?
Lehman has a new coach.

FWIW: Bethel 210, 'Ridge 192, MU 172, East 165. Based on size Bethel and Northridge should be the favorites!

The CBC Mad River schools' enrollment ranges from 153-216. Milton-Union would be a fit as far as school size goes - it would be another district that like most of the CBC has seen a sharp decline over the last couple of decades. But the travel would be awful for them.

Milton has to be seen as the favorite until they are beaten. They might have a lost a lot, but their TRC games were non-competitive last season.

The CBC Mad River schools' enrollment ranges from 153-216. Milton-Union would be a fit as far as school size goes - it would be another district that like most of the CBC has seen a sharp decline over the last couple of decades. But the travel would be awful for them.

Milton has to be seen as the favorite until they are beaten. They might have a lost a lot, but their TRC games were non-competitive last season.
Miltons’ best bet is for the TRC to add Graham and Northwestern. easy travel and schools very similar in size/demographics. i think those 3 plus Miami East, Bethel, and Northridge make a nice core for a league.

Miltons’ best bet is for the TRC to add Graham and Northwestern. easy travel and schools very similar in size/demographics. i think those 3 plus Miami East, Bethel, and Northridge make a nice core for a league.
What's the upside for Graham to go to the TRC? You'd be leaving a conference where you can play a full schedule in every sport for one with three small schools (Riverside, Lehman and TC) that don't have every sport that you offer. You have the potential ticking timebomb of Bethel's enrollment, which may swell to Tipp City's size in the next decade. Riverside is going to bail to the OHC the first chance it gets (and with SCC's instability, that chance may be sooner than later), leaving the possibility of trying to figure out a 9-team conference football schedule if both Graham and NW were to go to the TRC. The only positive is losing the hour long drive to North Union. The next longest CBC MR drive is 40 minutes to Ben Logan, the same you'd be driving to Northridge and Milton. As far as football goes, trading Shawnee for Milton doesn't help you much to have a chance to win your conference. The CBC isn't perfect, but it's on more stable ground than the TRC at the moment.

What's the upside for Graham to go to the TRC? You'd be leaving a conference where you can play a full schedule in every sport for one with three small schools (Riverside, Lehman and TC) that don't have every sport that you offer. You have the potential ticking timebomb of Bethel's enrollment, which may swell to Tipp City's size in the next decade. Riverside is going to bail to the OHC the first chance it gets (and with SCC's instability, that chance may be sooner than later), leaving the possibility of trying to figure out a 9-team conference football schedule if both Graham and NW were to go to the TRC. The only positive is losing the hour long drive to North Union. The next longest CBC MR drive is 40 minutes to Ben Logan, the same you'd be driving to Northridge and Milton. As far as football goes, trading Shawnee for Milton doesn't help you much to have a chance to win your conference. The CBC isn't perfect, but it's on more stable ground than the TRC at the moment.
you make some great points but i think you’re blowing a few things out of proportion. the TRC has the ability to become very stable. right now, Graham has several long drives for league games. they also have to deal with getting rocked by the likes of London and Jonathan Alder in crossover games. outside of wrestling, Graham has been far from a powerhouse athletic program year in and year out. i think they’d fit quite well will a lot of the TRC.

you may be a bit unfamiliar with the CBC but that league (especially the Mad River division) is a ticking time bomb. North Union was a forced fit. Ben Logan and Indian Lake are a haul from the clark county schools. i expect Shawnee to be dominant in the Mad River. Northwestern will leave at some point and Graham will likely follow when that happens. Graham doesn’t share a division with rival Urbana anymore which eliminates much incentive for them to stay.

not to mention, Graham and NW have a ton of history with a number of TRC schools. don’t forget that Graham was a member of the old SWRC with the likes of Miami East, Covington, and Milton.

on top of that, travel is much easier. taking 36 and 41 is a much more desirable drive than taking county roads to Ben Logan or North Union

my proposal:

TRC
-Milton Union
-Miami East
-Bethel
-Northridge
-Brookville
-Northwestern
-Graham
-Riverside/Troy Christian/Covington/Greenon (??)

Riverside will bolt for the OHC the first chance they get. Lehman Catholic, Troy Christian, and Covington should be in the WOAC eventually.

you make some great points but i think you’re blowing a few things out of proportion. the TRC has the ability to become very stable. right now, Graham has several long drives for league games. they also have to deal with getting rocked by the likes of London and Jonathan Alder in crossover games. outside of wrestling, Graham has been far from a powerhouse athletic program year in and year out. i think they’d fit quite well will a lot of the TRC.

you may be a bit unfamiliar with the CBC but that league (especially the Mad River division) is a ticking time bomb. North Union was a forced fit. Ben Logan and Indian Lake are a haul from the clark county schools. i expect Shawnee to be dominant in the Mad River. Northwestern will leave at some point and Graham will likely follow when that happens. Graham doesn’t share a division with rival Urbana anymore which eliminates much incentive for them to stay.

not to mention, Graham and NW have a ton of history with a number of TRC schools. don’t forget that Graham was a member of the old SWRC with the likes of Miami East, Covington, and Milton.

on top of that, travel is much easier. taking 36 and 41 is a much more desirable drive than taking county roads to Ben Logan or North Union

my proposal:

TRC
-Milton Union
-Miami East
-Bethel
-Northridge
-Brookville
-Northwestern
-Graham
-Riverside/Troy Christian/Covington/Greenon (??)

Riverside will bolt for the OHC the first chance they get. Lehman Catholic, Troy Christian, and Covington should be in the WOAC eventually.
I lived in Champaign County for many years, so I'm very familiar with the CBC. I've also seen you on here for years saying the CBC is going to blow up (because Greenon bailed?) when by all accounts the actual school administrators who make these decisions are content with where the league is at the moment. What you are proposing is more driving for Graham, not less. As far as traveling to the Logan County teams, It's 40 minutes to Ben Logan and 35 minutes to the Lake. Brookville would be 50+ minutes, basically the same drive as North Union with Brookville being more of a threat to blow Graham out in football each year than NU would be. And if Brookville wanted in the TRC, they would have been an original member. Yes, Graham gets beat up in at least one football crossover, but they get to have complete schedules in other sports. Northwestern is going to be bad in football and basketball no matter their league, but they do just fine in other MRD sports. I don't see them giving up a full conference soccer schedule just to chase a couple of wins in football. Regarding Shawnee dominating the MRD, the Shawnee folks claim that they are about to hit a downturn in talent, but they've said that for a while. However, if they were going to stay at their current talent level, I don't think they would have pushed for the league bylaws to be followed in regards to divisions being split up by enrollment. Urbana did NOT want to go to the KT. Shawnee was fine staying there until now because they could compete. They don't think they can anymore. I don't know if Graham or NW can beat Shawnee in football, but they can't beat Milton-Union, either.

Troy Christian and Lehman would never get a WOAC invite. If the WOAC schools were afraid of Miami East and Covington, then I don't see them wanting private schools whose talent can fluctuate in a given year (especially with EdChoice). They are stuck in the TRC. I'm not sure the WOAC would want Covington back, either... although trading Covington for Preble Shawnee turned out to be a big mistake.

If this were a football only discussion, I think you'd be on to something. I think the TRC would make more sense for Graham, NW, and the four smaller schools (Riverside, LC, TC, Covington) if you could get to two divisions... or if North Union and/or Jonathan Alder blew up the CBC.

Was told that that Covington was in the upper 20s this year. With 22 freshman. What hit me about those numbers was last year that had 23 players with 3 seniors.

So that mean of the 20 kids that were left, around 5 are playing again….? So he they lost their whole team for the 3rd year in a row!

I lived in Champaign County for many years, so I'm very familiar with the CBC. I've also seen you on here for years saying the CBC is going to blow up (because Greenon bailed?) when by all accounts the actual school administrators who make these decisions are content with where the league is at the moment. What you are proposing is more driving for Graham, not less. As far as traveling to the Logan County teams, It's 40 minutes to Ben Logan and 35 minutes to the Lake. Brookville would be 50+ minutes, basically the same drive as North Union with Brookville being more of a threat to blow Graham out in football each year than NU would be. And if Brookville wanted in the TRC, they would have been an original member. Yes, Graham gets beat up in at least one football crossover, but they get to have complete schedules in other sports. Northwestern is going to be bad in football and basketball no matter their league, but they do just fine in other MRD sports. I don't see them giving up a full conference soccer schedule just to chase a couple of wins in football. Regarding Shawnee dominating the MRD, the Shawnee folks claim that they are about to hit a downturn in talent, but they've said that for a while. However, if they were going to stay at their current talent level, I don't think they would have pushed for the league bylaws to be followed in regards to divisions being split up by enrollment. Urbana did NOT want to go to the KT. Shawnee was fine staying there until now because they could compete. They don't think they can anymore. I don't know if Graham or NW can beat Shawnee in football, but they can't beat Milton-Union, either.

Troy Christian and Lehman would never get a WOAC invite. If the WOAC schools were afraid of Miami East and Covington, then I don't see them wanting private schools whose talent can fluctuate in a given year (especially with EdChoice). They are stuck in the TRC. I'm not sure the WOAC would want Covington back, either... although trading Covington for Preble Shawnee turned out to be a big mistake.

If this were a football only discussion, I think you'd be on to something. I think the TRC would make more sense for Graham, NW, and the four smaller schools (Riverside, LC, TC, Covington) if you could get to two divisions... or if North Union and/or Jonathan Alder blew up the CBC.
as for Graham, I have spoken to 2 very good sources on here that said Graham to the TRC is not a matter of “if”, it’s a matter of “when”. that “when” is when Northwestern decides they want to go with too (package deal). while i completely understand your arguments for all-sports being important, football and basketball drive expansion and that’s a known fact. no one is moving leagues so that the country club sports can compete better. some version of the TRC that i proposed has the potential to be a very competitive league in both football and basketball.

as for the WOAC, you’re probably right on all accounts. i think Covington and Troy Christian are likley stuck in the TRC. Lehman Catholic will end up back in the NWC if i had to guess (although Miss Valley and Bradford would be great opponents for them). i’m not sure how much the new version of EdChoice will impact TC/LC.

i think you’re underestimating how good of a fit the TRC is for Graham and Northwestern. Milton had a few good classes roll through, but they are not a powerhouse. Northridge, Miami East, and Bethel will be competetive in phases. Troy Christian and Covington aren’t far removed from a good bit of success. Graham has been had a few good classes come through recently and Northwestern (although things look bleak) is 4 years removed from a playoff berth in D4. i think it would be a seamless fit.

I know I said, mostly tongue in cheek of trading SCC or NW from the OHC or CBC to gain MU but now after reading posts...which there are a lot of good opinions that I had not thought about, I will throw this into the mix.

Could there be a possibility for a "Super Conference", combining TRC, OHC and CBC. What would that look like? I just have a gut feeling that Alder and London from the CBC will bail within the next couple of years and that leaves Bellefontaine and Tecumseh (big schools) on the outside looking for comparable sized schools. I cannot see Tecumseh leaving (maybe MVL) but Bellefontaine could just based on their size and other factors (maybe WBL).

This conference alignment is a good hypothetical one for Knightsfan to lay out, lol.

Finally on to TRC. Troy Christian. I was going up I-75 and for the life of me I never noticed it before but TC has one set of bleachers and they dont appear to be very big. I have been to other schools with a home only seating but they were 15-15 yard line and seemed to seat everyone. I have not been to a TC home game, so was curious to how this seating works out.

I know I said, mostly tongue in cheek of trading SCC or NW from the OHC or CBC to gain MU but now after reading posts...which there are a lot of good opinions that I had not thought about, I will throw this into the mix.

Could there be a possibility for a "Super Conference", combining TRC, OHC and CBC. What would that look like? I just have a gut feeling that Alder and London from the CBC will bail within the next couple of years and that leaves Bellefontaine and Tecumseh (big schools) on the outside looking for comparable sized schools. I cannot see Tecumseh leaving (maybe MVL) but Bellefontaine could just based on their size and other factors (maybe WBL).

This conference alignment is a good hypothetical one for Knightsfan to lay out, lol.

Finally on to TRC. Troy Christian. I was going up I-75 and for the life of me I never noticed it before but TC has one set of bleachers and they dont appear to be very big. I have been to other schools with a home only seating but they were 15-15 yard line and seemed to seat everyone. I have not been to a TC home game, so was curious to how this seating works out.
If I remember correctly I do believe TC has away bleachers, but we are talking maybe 10 rows from 35 to 35, or maybe even 40 to 40.

If I remember correctly I do believe TC has away bleachers, but we are talking maybe 10 rows from 35 to 35, or maybe even 40 to 40.
:unsure: driving by this morning I did not see any other bleachers other than those on the "home side". Are visitor bleachers moved in before the season starts?. Not doubting you but just an observation and the home stands go from 25-25... Looks like a nice patch of grass with a track and supporting facilities.

:unsure: driving by this morning I did not see any other bleachers other than those on the "home side". Are visitor bleachers moved in before the season starts?. Not doubting you but just an observation and the home stands go from 25-25... Looks like a nice patch of grass with a track and supporting facilities.
Maybe they are not visible from the interstate? I could also be misremembering, it has been awhile since I have been to a game there.

as for Graham, I have spoken to 2 very good sources on here that said Graham to the TRC is not a matter of “if”, it’s a matter of “when”. that “when” is when Northwestern decides they want to go with too (package deal). while i completely understand your arguments for all-sports being important, football and basketball drive expansion and that’s a known fact. no one is moving leagues so that the country club sports can compete better. some version of the TRC that i proposed has the potential to be a very competitive league in both football and basketball.

as for the WOAC, you’re probably right on all accounts. i think Covington and Troy Christian are likley stuck in the TRC. Lehman Catholic will end up back in the NWC if i had to guess (although Miss Valley and Bradford would be great opponents for them). i’m not sure how much the new version of EdChoice will impact TC/LC.

i think you’re underestimating how good of a fit the TRC is for Graham and Northwestern. Milton had a few good classes roll through, but they are not a powerhouse. Northridge, Miami East, and Bethel will be competetive in phases. Troy Christian and Covington aren’t far removed from a good bit of success. Graham has been had a few good classes come through recently and Northwestern (although things look bleak) is 4 years removed from a playoff berth in D4. i think it would be a seamless fit.
I agree. But i've said it before on here. Id take Covington back only. But have to add Middletown Madison. Create North/ South Division