What are these school districts thinking?

They are dealing with an inept and not caring government at the Federal level. The president's own son is doing remote learning...wonder if he even knows?

The sons & daughters of the very wealthy will be just fine. They'll either be schooled in person at private institutions or they'll be the beneficiary's of excellent in home tutoring programs. And for the record this is fine with me. It's a parents duty to do what's best for their child if they're able.

What do you expect the feds to do hear? Beyond extra funding (done) and removing covid liability (in the works) this is best handled by State & Local authorities.

First off most posters on yappi are NOT blaming teachers. They are debating with a minority of posters, some of whom are teachers, who are arguing that we should not return to in school instruction.

Teachers should be declared essential workers.

And yes we need to address the role of district administrators and school boards here. They are ultimately making the decision of whether to open or stay closed or go hybrid.

Keeping the schools closed will lead to enormous collateral damage to the kids. Inequality will sky rocket and we'll lose kids that would have otherwise been saved. The cost to society over the coming decades will be great.

There is no cost free solution to this problem. There are only poor to bad choices. The goal should be to do what causes the least amount of damage to the least amount of people. IMO that is to fully reopen the schools.

There is no reason to bring politics into this or to get nasty with those that disagree with you.
Once again the problems being put on schools when they are closed or remote is years in the making. The schools are just easy to blame. Teachers have to teach, find abuse, shield students from shooters, bring in clothes and supplies for needy students., spot homelessness and the list goes on and on. My mom taught for 30 years all my old clothes went with her to school. I am sick and tired of ignorant people yelling for schools to open as a band aid for societal problems and government failures for the past 50 years.

Once again the problems being put on schools when they are closed or remote is years in the making. The schools are just easy to blame. Teachers have to teach, find abuse, shield students from shooters, bring in clothes and supplies for needy students., spot homelessness and the list goes on and on. My mom taught for 30 years all my old clothes went with her to school. I am sick and tired of ignorant people yelling for schools to open as a band aid for societal problems and government failures for the past 50 years.
BINGO!!!

If teachers are going to be named essential workers, then there should be employer provided PPE, sanitization of work areas, and proper protocols in place. Currently in most districts teachers are responsible for cleaning and sanitizing, providing PPE, etc etc etc. Absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention in no other scenario has an essential business put 1000+ kids in one building and exposed employees to 7 hours of direct exposure.
Bottom line, there will be no football and no school this fall. The opinions of medical experts will carry more clout than our meat head president and the opinions of those on Yappi. You don’t know what you don’t know. It’s unfortunate and it certainly didn’t have to be this way.

If teachers are going to be named essential workers, then there should be employer provided PPE, sanitization of work areas, and proper protocols in place. Currently in most districts teachers are responsible for cleaning and sanitizing, providing PPE, etc etc etc. Absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention in no other scenario has an essential business put 1000+ kids in one building and exposed employees to 7 hours of direct exposure.
Bottom line, there will be no football and no school this fall. The opinions of medical experts will carry more clout than our meat head president and the opinions of those on Yappi. You don’t know what you don’t know. It’s unfortunate and it certainly didn’t have to be this way.
You're right. It didn't have to be this way, but certain state and local government officials (some unelected) just had to intervene, many of them for underhanded purposes that I won't discuss here. But regardless, taking away in-person schooling and sports will cause potentially-irreversibly deleterious effects, and the kids will find a way to socialize anyway. And lastly, the fear-mongering that has been incessantly going on everywhere has been excruciating to listen to, but it feels like with a few folks, it's especially bad on here, and I'm sure I'm one of many who is UNBELIEVABLY tired of it! I come on here because of a game I thoroughly enjoy, but if I have to leave for good because of a few self-righteous losers, I will.

Ohio needs to have an in-person school option as well as having high school football this fall, even if in a delayed and/or abbreviated form. If you want to keep yourself and/or your kids at home, that's on you.

You're right. It didn't have to be this way, but certain state and local government officials (some unelected) just had to intervene, many of them for underhanded purposes that I won't discuss here. But regardless, taking away in-person schooling and sports will cause potentially-irreversibly deleterious effects, and the kids will find a way to socialize anyway. And lastly, the fear-mongering that has been incessantly going on everywhere has been excruciating to listen to, but it feels like with a few folks, it's especially bad on here, and I'm sure I'm one of many who is UNBELIEVABLY tired of it! I come on here because of a game I thoroughly enjoy, but if I have to leave for good because of a few self-righteous losers, I will.

Ohio needs to have an in-person school option as well as having high school football this fall, even if in a delayed and/or abbreviated form. If you want to keep yourself and/or your kids at home, that's on you.

Not sure where to start with this hot garbage. 150,000 deaths and counting...that is all

It's been fine. You just need to keep mixing it up what you do to pass the time. Unfortunately, I tried to do that with Yappi and that lasted all of two days. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
How does the abused and/or hungry child need to mix it up?

Not sure where to start with this hot garbage. 150,000 deaths and counting...that is all
Exactly 150,000? What about the stage 4 cancer deaths that were tagged with Covid? Just because they say it, doesn’t inherently make it true

What the hell are you talking about, loser?
Well you said you can just mix it up to pass the time. I was just wondering how those kids who need school meals and protection from abusive home lives are going to pass the time? Maybe the yappi team can fix them.

Well you said you can just mix it up to pass the time. I was just wondering how those kids who need school meals and protection from abusive home lives are going to pass the time? Maybe the yappi team can fix them.
Ah, I see you're discussing a straw man. Interesting. Not my concern, but evidently it's yours'?

First off most posters on yappi are NOT blaming teachers. They are debating with a minority of posters, some of whom are teachers, who are arguing that we should not return to in school instruction.

Teachers should be declared essential workers.

And yes we need to address the role of district administrators and school boards here. They are ultimately making the decision of whether to open or stay closed or go hybrid.

Keeping the schools closed will lead to enormous collateral damage to the kids. Inequality will sky rocket and we'll lose kids that would have otherwise been saved. The cost to society over the coming decades will be great.

There is no cost free solution to this problem. There are only poor to bad choices. The goal should be to do what causes the least amount of damage to the least amount of people. IMO that is to fully reopen the schools.

There is no reason to bring politics into this or to get nasty with those that disagree with you.
The world needs Ditch Diggers too........

Best post I’ve seen in some time!!!

Welcome to the real world where the essential workers are cleaning their own stations, wearing their own PPE, and buying their own hand sanatizer......FYI. Part of our children’s return to school protocol in our district involves them cleaning their work space. The kids. And we will comply so that we can have school.

Yes they do.

Here's what they say about youth sports:

There are a number of actions youth sports organizations can take to help lower the risk of COVID-19 exposure and reduce the spread during competition and practice. The more people a child or coach interacts with, the closer the physical interaction, the more sharing of equipment there is by multiple players, and the longer that interaction, the higher the risk of COVID-19 spread. Therefore, risk of COVID-19 spread can be different, depending on the type of activity. The risk of COVID-19 spread increases in youth sports settings as follows:

• Lowest Risk: Performing skill-building drills or conditioning at home, alone or with family members.
  • Increasing Risk: Team-based practice.
  • More Risk: Within-team competition.
  • Even More Risk: Full competition between teams from the same local geographic area.
  • Highest Risk: Full competition between teams from different geographic areas.

If a player on a team tests positive for COVID-19, does the entire team (if they had been in close contact with that athlete) have to quarantine for 14 days, as the CDC recommends

Yes. Consult with local health officials if you determine your team or coaches have been exposed to COVID-19. Individuals who recently had close contact with a person with COVID-19 should follow CDC’s guidance for when you can be around others.

Having no personal opinion for/against the large, urban city systems: I imagine that under the current state of affairs with the virus, there just were so many glaring negatives and potential problems that outweighed the very few positives of actually going to back to in-person. Many parents in these systems aren't going to have paid leave if they get sick with COVID. My observation would be that many of these kids probably aren't living specifically with just a parent, but also/instead an older aunt, uncle or grandparent. Further, it just isn't realistic to expect they could do 5-days a week in-person without any problems. Blended learning would've either been a huge success or a huge joke, no middle ground, in Columbus. How are the schools going to police truancy in these times? Hmm?

I would probably go further to say that a lot of the residents in these neighborhoods take the threat of COVID, both the spread and its accompanied risks, very seriously and perhaps more so than their rural counterparts. Heck, I'll drive through the Hilltop of Columbus and see everybody walking down the streets in surgical masks!
In our area all the kids have continued to associate w/each other this summer in a pretty much normal manner. Kids swimming together at the local lake, riding their bikes in large groups, pick up basketball, kids playing rec & travel baseball & softball, lacrosse tournaments everywhere & golf leagues for the past 4 months. Coaches coaching, umpires & referees officiating, parents supporting their kids. I honestly have not heard of one kid, parent, coach, or referee who has tested positive, although one would think some have. Certainly nothing to cancel
the various leagues & tournaments, or close the local lake or camp grounds. How many of these kids and parents do you figure got tested for Covid prior to participating? I'm guessing few if any. If there was anything close to a Covid outbreak you would have seen this local leagues shut down in a heartbeat. If the numbers are accurate, many of these kids will simply continue to fall behind via virtual learning. What happens when they don't utilize the virtual experience as designed? Hit the streets, malls, etc which just presents another problem.

The idea of getting a tax rebate for your district being shuttered due to COVID is asinine.

Off of the districts that I'm most familiar with, the typical COVID school district financial scenario had the school saving money on facilities operations in the spring, only to lose an equal or greater amount in state budget cuts. Preparations for the fall look like making additional spending on equipment to enact social distancing expectations (if they got CARES funding, a nice chunk of that is going here). Schools are looking into making additional investments in the event that get bumped entirely online again.

Most districts that have been financially tight are going to be reeling come next spring, especially if their locally funding mix includes an income tax.
Perception is reality. Perception being that your business(schools) aren't open for business, regardless of the circumstances. Restaurants, bars, gyms, etc aren't open, they lose customers, money, and many have shut down. Many citizens, not just parents see that schools are shut down, but they continue to pay taxes for services not provided. When other businesses don't provide services, & aren't so fortunate to have citizens tax dollars keeping them a float, they go out of business for not providing services to their customers, despite the circumstances, not just Covid related reasons. The argument that schools top priority is to educate the kids needs to be combined w/a basic business model. Only so much tax $ available to run their business. When the school goes 100% virtual, they are no longer paying for busing, utilities are greatly reduced, maintenance staff are reduced or laid off, cafeteria workers are no longer needed,, fewer support staff needed, no school security, or regular maintenance such as snow removal, etc. How can schools not be saving money? So what logically will happen for those unhappy with these school decisions? Parents & citizens will answer at the ballot box. That's reality.

Tell that to all the people that never had kids and pay school taxes or the elderly that have no kids in school that pay school taxes. They never asked for any refunds. It's not the teachers or schools fault we are living through a pandemic. The schools powers to be have a responsibility to keep the students and staff safe. That is goal number one. A SAFE learning environment. If that can not be met, everything else is second.
Its reality, plain and simple. No services provided that has been the established model for decades, so now fewer tax dollars are required to run their business. Taxes need renewed. Voters really don't care about the who, what, where, or how come. They worry about their bottom line and they get what they are paying for. Now in this economy, school levies will ultimately pay the price.

Its reality, plain and simple. No services provided that has been the established model for decades, so now fewer tax dollars are required to run their business. Taxes need renewed. Voters really don't care about the who, what, where, or how come. They worry about their bottom line and they get what they are paying for. Now in this economy, school levies will ultimately pay the price.
And in turn property values.

If the numbers are accurate, many of these kids will simply continue to fall behind via virtual learning. What happens when they don't utilize the virtual experience as designed? Hit the streets, malls, etc which just presents another problem.
So, parents can make sure kids can swim and play baseball and a host of other fun activities, but it's my daughter's responsibility to educate them in person during a pandemic because the parents can't really parent? It's tiresome to hear all the excuses and responsibility shifting. I'm responsible for my children 24 hours a day. It doesn't matter where I am or where they are. Personal freedoms. Personal responsibility. Blah Blah Blah...This is an embarrassment. Bring in circus tents and let school happen outdoors like swimming, and baseball and bike riding.

Services will be provided, it's up to parents to make sure their kids do the work.

So, parents can make sure kids can swim and play baseball and a host of other fun activities, but it's my daughter's responsibility to educate them in person during a pandemic because the parents can't really parent? It's tiresome to hear all the excuses and responsibility shifting. I'm responsible for my children 24 hours a day. It doesn't matter where I am or where they are. Personal freedoms. Personal responsibility. Blah Blah Blah...This is an embarrassment. Bring in circus tents and let school happen outdoors like swimming, and baseball and bike riding.

Services will be provided, it's up to parents to make sure their kids do the work.
Heck, parents will let their kids miss school for a game. They will travel all summer for games or camps. It is quite entertaining reading some of the posts on this site.

Yes they do.

Here's what they say about youth sports:

There are a number of actions youth sports organizations can take to help lower the risk of COVID-19 exposure and reduce the spread during competition and practice. The more people a child or coach interacts with, the closer the physical interaction, the more sharing of equipment there is by multiple players, and the longer that interaction, the higher the risk of COVID-19 spread. Therefore, risk of COVID-19 spread can be different, depending on the type of activity. The risk of COVID-19 spread increases in youth sports settings as follows:

• Lowest Risk: Performing skill-building drills or conditioning at home, alone or with family members.
  • Increasing Risk: Team-based practice.
  • More Risk: Within-team competition.
  • Even More Risk: Full competition between teams from the same local geographic area.
  • Highest Risk: Full competition between teams from different geographic areas.

If a player on a team tests positive for COVID-19, does the entire team (if they had been in close contact with that athlete) have to quarantine for 14 days, as the CDC recommends

Yes. Consult with local health officials if you determine your team or coaches have been exposed to COVID-19. Individuals who recently had close contact with a person with COVID-19 should follow CDC’s guidance for when you can be around others.
Kids don’t die from it, and rarely spread it. That’s what the numbers say. They should be playing their sport.

False. It’s your daughters responsibility to do her job paid for by taxpayers. If the job is too dangerous, then find another means of work. It’s funny people continue to cry and make excuses for educators when the essential workers are in the middle of it everyday. Factories for example. A guy is making 16 bucks to stand on a line and touch parts that the previous five have handled. Or package food that has been processed by ten other people. Are they exempt from feeding you or making car parts or refrigerators?

Enough with the crying BS from teachers or families of teachers. You want to feel bad for someone? How about the nurse that brings home 50k per year but has to clean the patient up that is dying from Covid. Stop making excuses. It’s lame and played out. YES. we all have to do our part as essential workers. Including teachers.