Youngstown Area Coaching Changes

Not disagreeing honestly believe to be a head coach they need to be in the system, unfortunately not the case much anymore lack of people going into the teaching profession
Not necessary at all. Kuntz was a teacher at Howland (as you know) and was a success at Struthers.

Have rules in place by Union contract, wouldn’t think there’d be much interest anyway
Well aware of Union rules. My point is to by-pass the "dog and pony" show of interviewing outside candidates when all along the choice was the AD's friend. Just hire the guy after the internal posting deadline has passed. Very simple and beneficial for the program. No loss of time.

I have seen you post something similar before and the more I think it about it, you are probably right. There just isn't a "bench" of coaches like past decades. Perhaps this void will now allow for some unknown and/or young coaches to show their abilities or develop into a new generation of program leaders.
I respectfully disagree to some extent of your comment. There are some seasoned coaches out there that have applied for these positions and not been given the jobs nor even an interview. The problem IMO is that the schools have Administrators that don't care about the program or fail to interview experienced coaches. They hire friends. Some of those experienced coaches might have even lived on your street.

I respectfully disagree to some extent of your comment. There are some seasoned coaches out there that have applied for these positions and not been given the jobs nor even an interview. The problem IMO is that the schools have Administrators that don't care about the program or fail to interview experienced coaches. They hire friends. Some of those experienced coaches might have even lived on your street.
Well then it's their loss ;-) Us old East siders know football.
Anyway, you obviously know about this stuff more than I do so I'll defer.

Last edited:
Not much interest because there aren't many qualfied candidates in this area capable of being a head coach. Very few coaches in this area are educators now a days. Non educators focus on the outcomes rather than the process and focus on themselves rather than the experiece for the student athletes. Most established coaches aren't leaving the programs they've built. The established ones who DO leave apply for multiple jobs each year and tend to resemble the coaches who are non-educators.
Boy, that's a can of worms that could go many directions. Do you know a lot of young teachers? Even non-coaching teachers, not just coaches? Many in the teaching field would say that new teachers coming out of school are more focused on the agenda and framework, than teaching. Are many people that coach sports interested in getting into all of that? Especially for low pay.

Boy, that's a can of worms that could go many directions. Do you know a lot of young teachers? Even non-coaching teachers, not just coaches? Many in the teaching field would say that new teachers coming out of school are more focused on the agenda and framework, than teaching. Are many people that coach sports interested in getting into all of that? Especially for low pay.
Young teachers seem to be self-centered and lazy. They do what they hafta do. And sometimes they get caught being inappropriate with students. What about the times they don't get caught? Tell your kids to stay away from young teachers.

I’m not saying it can’t be done it’s just more beneficial
I don’t think this is the case anymore, in 1975 maybe, now anyone is a text/call away. Sports are all year round. You use to need the coach in the building because he would not see his team again until June. It’s just not the case anymore, you see these kids all year round now.

Any word on the other openings in the area? I heard maybe Sikora for the Falls? Wellsville? Leetonia has been open for a while now and seems like their are slim pickens

@Jaws31 has the reason why they played there I think something with Harding but he will have the scoop on what’s going on
Yeah we played at Liberty because of construction at Harding. Originally was supposed to play at Howland but scheduling conflicts prevented it. No "turmoil" involved. Prologo resigning is a little surprising but wasn't earth shattering news.

Yeah we played at Liberty because of construction at Harding. Originally was supposed to play at Howland but scheduling conflicts prevented it. No "turmoil" involved. Prologo resigning is a little surprising but wasn't earth shattering news.
Lots of turmoil, guy’s an idiot

You can add the reigning DV State Champions to the list. Incredible career at South Range for Dan.... beat him once in about 11 tries as an assistant! Who fills this void?

If we are counting the PA side of the border, which it looks like they are and they should, we need to add Lorenzo Styles from Farrell and Andre Coleman from Hickory. Mr. Styles won a ring with Mr. Wilkins and the Rams in SB #34. Mr. Coleman's Chargers team got hammered by the 49ers in SB #29 but he returned a KO 98-yards for a TD.

What about Antwaun Molden? I know he graduated from Glenville but didn't he transfer there from Warren Harding? He played with NE in SB #46 against Harding grad Mario Manningham.

There have been several local coaches, an owner and at least one team GM in the Super Bowl also.

If we are counting the PA side of the border, which it looks like they are and they should, we need to add Lorenzo Styles from Farrell and Andre Coleman from Hickory. Mr. Styles won a ring with Mr. Wilkins and the Rams in SB #34. Mr. Coleman's Chargers team got hammered by the 49ers in SB #29 but he returned a KO 98-yards for a TD.

What about Antwaun Molden? I know he graduated from Glenville but didn't he transfer there from Warren Harding? He played with NE in SB #46 against Harding grad Mario Manningham.

There have been several local coaches, an owner and at least one team GM in the Super Bowl also.
Haven't heard those PA names in years, those guys were great!

As far as Molden, I want to say he transfered after his senior year of football was over to be on those powerhouse Glenville track teams. Maybe Worm can chime in?

As far as Molden, I want to say he transfered after his senior year of football was over to be on those powerhouse Glenville track teams. Maybe Worm can chime in?

I think you are correct about Mr. Molden and if so he should also be added to the list.

You're exactly correct!

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) — A Cardinal Mooney High School spokesperson confirmed to Sports Team 27 on Saturday that longtime football coach and athletic director Don Bucci has passed away at the age of 89.

Also do not forget Marlin Jackson who won the Super Bowl with the Colts. Had the game clinching INT of Tom Brady in the AFC title game that year as well.

A little unrelated to this thread but word is that the MVAC might see some teams flip tiers. Right now I have heard that Springfield is going to the Grey with Newton Falls going to the Scarlett with the possibility of Campbell joining them. I'm guessing it would be a 2 for 2 swap if that happened but have not heard who the other team from the Scarlett would be that would move to the Grey.

Also do not forget Marlin Jackson who won the Super Bowl with the Colts. Had the game clinching INT of Tom Brady in the AFC title game that year as well.

I didn't mention him because he was on the list in the link provided by Gardens35, the other Pa. guys I named were not.

A little unrelated to this thread but word is that the MVAC might see some teams flip tiers. Right now I have heard that Springfield is going to the Grey with Newton Falls going to the Scarlett with the possibility of Campbell joining them. I'm guessing it would be a 2 for 2 swap if that happened but have not heard who the other team from the Scarlett would be that would move to the Grey.
Possibly Mineral Ridge believe they are the largest student wise