Worst Mascots in Ohio

Also, you are now part of the "Remember the Titans" era of coming together.

Lorain Titans
Berea-Midpark Titans

Nothing cliche there
Yes nothing like merging with your arch rivals

Not the Netflix show but thecmovie that came out around 2016. I believe it was called My Friend Dahmer

Yes nothing like merging with your arch rivals

Not the Netflix show but thecmovie that came out around 2016. I believe it was called My Friend Dahmer

Mergers and co-ops aren't anything new outside Ohio.

In New York, three schools co-op from Clymer Pirates, Panama Panthers, and Sherman Wildcats to form the CSP Wolfpack. Franklinville and Ellicottville co-op to form the Franklinville/Ellicottville Titans. In North Dakota, the Wyndmere Warriors and Lidgerwood Cardinals became the Wyndmere/Lidgerwood Warbirds. In South Dakota, Eureka, Bowdle, and Edmunds Central co-op to form the North Central Thunder. Also back in North Dakota, the Ashley Mustangs and Wishek Badgers formed a co-op (now for basically every sport) and are the South Border Mustangs. Grant County Coyotes in Elgin, ND co-op with Flasher Bulldogs, and form the Grant County/Flasher Storm.

It's interesting seeing how they progress.

A few others from NY were Maple Grove Red Dragons and Chautauqua Lake Thunderbirds were, for a while, the Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake Thunder Dragons. Maple Grove ended the co-op and CL co-op with Westfield and Brocton, but are the host team and are just the Chautauqua Lake/Westfield/Brocton Thunderbirds. Meanwhile, Maple Grove after a few years on their own were forced into a co-op with Falconer and Cassadaga Valley. Falconer, the Golden Falcons, and Cassadaga Valley, the Cougars, co-oped together as the Cassadaga Valley/Falconer Golden Cougars. Now, as their teams, they're the Falconer/Cassadaga Valley/Maple Grove Golden Cougars. Maple Grove lost their nickname in the process.

Not high school, UCLA was initially called the Cubs and then the Grizzlies. They were the Cubs because the school was a "child" of the Golden Bears at the main university--California in Berkeley.

When UCLA joined the Pacific Coast Conference (a precursor to the current Pac 12), the Montana Grizzlies were also members. So, UCLA dropped Grizzlies in favor of Bruins.

I’ve been cynical toward it, from the beginning, because it felt like they had difficulty coming up with the original Berlin logo design and they just decided to cut bait on the monograms for the other three schools since Berlin’s colors were REALLY difficult to make a good one out of. So, it seemed like a rather forced attempt at getting everyone together in lockstep for Berlin’s sake.

I like Olentangy HS’s rebrand. Liberty — I used to work at Liberty and if you know the area where the school is then you’d understand how the school got its name. The Statue of Liberty in the logo, like, on the one hand it seems overkill but even more egregious is they’re the Patriots: like, it’s just two greatly dignified individual concepts that got weirdly forced together in the interest of a graphic design project.

The one I have the biggest displeasure with, although this is ironically more of a temporary dislike, is Orange’s. When Orange was built, and up to the rebrand, their branding as Pioneers was likened pretty heavily to Daniel Boone and/or Lewis & Clark. It was a cool concept. So, the pivot to space exploration just… I get the argument how that is also “pioneering”, but again it just seems forced and something ‘new’ they landed on as part of the sweeping rebrand. I do however think that particular branding will age well and be enjoyed by kids in generations to come. I just think it nakedly sticks out as “trying to do too much at once.”
Ah, fair critiques. I certainly don't follow Olentangy that closely. For Orange, I just remember the orange and blue OSU double block O with maybe script Pioneers in the middle? I don't know that I recall imagery with Boone or Lewis & Clark. I can see how some of their updated logos feel like a graphic designer went overboard.

Ah, fair critiques. I certainly don't follow Olentangy that closely. For Orange, I just remember the orange and blue OSU double block O with maybe script Pioneers in the middle? I don't know that I recall imagery with Boone or Lewis & Clark. I can see how some of their updated logos feel like a graphic designer went overboard.
FWIW,
FBA15F0E-20D9-460F-8898-A03A4DCE6B78.png

Also: Pioneer Pete!
1666801477114.jpeg

The Whippet is actually a British Racing Dog similar to the Greyhound. But yeah they've always gravitated towards the Devo song since the 80's.

The Whippet is a British dog breed of medium size. They are a sighthound breed that originated in England, where they descended from the Greyhound. Whippets today still strongly resemble a smaller Greyhound.

View attachment 35092
I thought a whippet was a small nitrous oxide cartridge used for great fun....lol

Back in 1969 South Range Schools were created from North Lima and Greenford Schools.
Greenfords mascot was the Bobcats. North Lima was the Zippers.
We had so much fun the week before any game against North Lima.
Banners in the hallways "Unzip the Zippers" Cheers from the stands, the same. Good times.

Steubenville Big Red…… Big Red might be only school recognized more by their mascot than by the name of the high school. If you tell someone you went to Big Red they know you went to Steubenville High School. Makes us having the best Mascot.

Back in 1969 South Range Schools were created from North Lima and Greenford Schools.
Greenfords mascot was the Bobcats. North Lima was the Zippers.
We had so much fun the week before any game against North Lima.
Banners in the hallways "Unzip the Zippers" Cheers from the stands, the same. Good times.
You mean we could've had the Zipcats instead of Raiders?

Fairfield Central HS in SC is the Griffins. The school formed out of 2 other schools after desegregation. One mascot was Lions and one was Eagles. A Griffin is part Eagle and part Lion.

Fairfield Central HS in SC is the Griffins. The school formed out of 2 other schools after desegregation. One mascot was Lions and one was Eagles. A Griffin is part Eagle and part Lion.
You don't have to go South Carolina for a Griffin....just head to Akron Buchtel High School...home of the Griffins

That is pretty interesting! I wonder what year they desegregated.

That is pretty inter
I know it is not pc ...but I am pretty sure Akron East...had the only nickname as the Orientals, before they changed it to be pc
Oh the PC police didn't do their due diligence on this one. Akron East Orientals were not a slang name for Asians. Rather they were named ORIENTALS after the near East. You know the pyramids, shphix, oasis and such. My dad's 1935 ring from Akron East shows all those. Too bad the PC police had their way and did away with a traditional name