Why Canton?

The games are in Canton for the foreseeable future. And with the coming additions to the HOF Village it will have more to offer.

Next meaningless topic on Yappi:

Should we divide the public's and privates lol

Yep... (I know someone who had a 6pm Thursday Semifinal that didn't start until after 7)

It's never going to be perfect. People just need to deal with it,
People are dealing with it they are not going to the games. Quit having one site for all the games, I have no doubt Piqua would have hosted the lower divisions - what a boon for the local businesses. But to keep doing the same thing with the same results - lower and lower attendance is just plain dumb. But we are dealing with bureaucrats (OHSAA).

People are dealing with it they are not going to the games. Quit having one site for all the games, I have no doubt Piqua would have hosted the lower divisions - what a boon for the local businesses. But to keep doing the same thing with the same results - lower and lower attendance is just plain dumb. But we are dealing with bureaucrats (OHSAA).
Playing the State Finals at different locations is silly on many fronts.

Stirred, I concur with much of what you say but just a big ole N-O to championship games at multiple locations.

I would rather see 4 or 5 divisions. All divisions just need to change the cutoff numbers points for the divisions. Honestly, I wouldn't care if D1 had 30 teams, and D2 had 75 teams and D3 had 50 teams, etc.. To me evening out each division simply by taking the number of schools there are and dividing by 7 is ridiculous. They need to look at the total number of teams, their male enrollment + CB, then spilt off where a gap begins. Then tweak where necessary. (4 divisions, 5 max).

Completely agree. We're missing some wildly entertaining playoff matchups esp. lower divisions. Kirtland and Coldwater for example only separated by about a dozen kids and Marian could prolly compete well with them too. As it is they are 3 different divisions and each pretty much punch their ticket to the finals every year. That's boring. As an outsider I would pay to see Marion Local vs. Kirtland vs. Coldwater etc.

It seems like Winton Woods HS and Tom Benson Stadium keep getting further and further away from each other. It will be a 4.5 hour drive before we know it. I'm seeing 3.5 hours but I digress...

I do get it, but I would assume that most people making the commute from WW would have a child or relative playing. Taking a day and half of vacation and dropping $300 - $400 seems like a small price to pay for such an event. BTW, Winton Woods was closed on both Thursday and Friday.
tell the boosters to put them up over night the kids would love it .....

It seems like Winton Woods HS and Tom Benson Stadium keep getting further and further away from each other. It will be a 4.5 hour drive before we know it. I'm seeing 3.5 hours but I digress...

I do get it, but I would assume that most people making the commute from WW would have a child or relative playing. Taking a day and half of vacation and dropping $300 - $400 seems like a small price to pay for such an event. BTW, Winton Woods was closed on both Thursday and Friday.
excellent point....

OK alot here. First instead of coming on here maybe get with some ADs and get a package together to present to the OHSAA. Remember alot of people who volunteer to help do not have a child that plays or is even tied to a school that participates in the game. I t is not easy getting people to work the game. Stark county does a great job with recruiting people to help. The drive? I cant imagine being all #$%^^@ over a drive to see my child (or team) play in a championship game????? I WILL agree Thursday night games should go! Bring back Massillon. There are cheaper hotels then 150. Cincy to Columbus on a Thursday still would probably need a hotel. If you won the game, I would imagine one would stay for the trophy presentation and little fun with the other fans and team. All boils down to one thing: BID FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!!!! BTW congrats to all the State Champs from this weekend all your hard work paid off!!!!!! And of course GO TIGERS!!!!!
stay in canton

Staying on 71 going through Columbus on a Thursday afternoon.
I can see it being nerve wracking.
For some.
I think it would be awesome.
To take the Hall of fame village concept. Down along route 70

I feel the hall of fame is packed in.
Just too much going on in such a small area.
I avoid the area other than week 10
leave canton alone...outstanding experience this year

If they make extra money on the extra divisions, it means the people want it. The market is there. If people want to pay money to attend, no reason not to have it.

What does it mean when attendance has dropped ever since?

Maybe quantity 7 instead of quality 5 balances out attendance wise, idk.

First off, I would like to say the state championship should be about the teams/players. I think Canton gives a great experience for them. They are the ones lifting weights all year round and practicing for 5 months. Some of the playoff location Versailles played in were not so impressive. Only two showers at Trotwood, cold water at others places. Lighting not real impressive. It is my understanding that locker rooms, showers, lighting, and turf are pretty rewarding for the players at Canton. The long drive is not ideal but we all managed. So if it gets moved from Canton, I hope it is a 1st class venue.

TV.
Streaming media.
Apathetic fans.

Agree. Simply musing if adding divisions helped (as hammer89 implies), or hurt.

Personally as a fan I'd rather go to a final that drew 10000 then 2 that drew 5500. Today it seems the games only draw from each community. No doubt live stream factors into it.

Could you please enlighten us?
Let's start with the obvious ones.....

Do you really think it's going to be a snap to secure multiple locations for either the last week of November or the first week of December?

Multiple locations means multiple productions crews for TV
Multiple locations means media has to pick and choose what to cover and where.
Multiple locations means fans have to choose which site they go to. (whether or not you wish to admit it, there are a bunch of people who go for the weekend)

And probably the most obvious...... Can you imagine the screaming and the bellyaching from the people who "didn't like the visitor side" of the venue their team played at? Holy crap, I can hear it now... "why did we have to play at _______ when "they" got to play at _________?"

Again, this isn't just a football game....... it's the state tournament. The kids deserve equal attention. They also deserve to be a part of the entire event.

Put a group together to underwrite it and you can play it at Paul Brown Stadium or FirstEnergy Stadium. (just like many other states do)..... Until then, keep throwing out the conspiracy theories..... they are quite humorous.

Last edited: