Why Canton?

The trip from Cincinnati to Canton is no joke, Why can't the Championship rotate to a more southern local occasionally i.e Columbus.
I don't think anyone would argue that a more "central" location would be better for everyone. But OSU has made it clear they don't want to host so then you're looking at Crew Stadium. Have no idea if they would want it, but part of me thinks even the OHSAA isn't tone-deaf enough to hold the football championships for Ohio in a soccer stadium.

Considering the President of the OHSAA Board of Directors is a Cincy guy (https://www.ohsaa.org/about/BOD) might be worth dropping an email to ask him about it.

I don't think anyone would argue that a more "central" location would be better for everyone. But OSU has made it clear they don't want to host so then you're looking at Crew Stadium. Have no idea if they would want it, but part of me thinks even the OHSAA isn't tone-deaf enough to hold the football championships for Ohio in a soccer stadium.

Considering the President of the OHSAA Board of Directors is a Cincy guy (https://www.ohsaa.org/about/BOD) might be worth dropping an email to ask him about it.
I don't think people would be too prideful to have a football game in a soccer stadium. Crew stadium is outstanding, though they would have to repurpose the grass? And it would get torn to shreds the way Pittsburgh does.

I would assume a rotation (kind of like how the BCS bowls do it) would make the most sense. You don't need a very large stadium, especially with attendance numbers down the way they are.

Why not neutral site like it's done the rest of the playoffs? Could have, say, Versailles-Kirtland in Mansfield or Fremont. Coldwater-Carey in Lima. Marion Local-Newark Catholic around Marysville. Spreads the games out, no one SHOULD complain about travel (though we all know they still would). Obvious downside is it wouldn't be possible to hit up every game, but with dwindling attendance, is that really a huge issue?

Last edited:
With the Bengals and the Browns.
Working together could get a nice stadium built. Halfway between the two. Where the land could be used for multiple purposes.
I'm sure vendors would rent a spot.
To cater the Tailgaters.

Where? (before you post, really think it through)

What makes the drive so "rough"?
Think of Winton Woods. Thursday a 7pm game. It is a 4 hour drive. So if everything goes ok and you leave at 3pm and you hit no traffic you are good. Now factor in most people work, the standard work hours are 8-5. So Most people get off work 2 hours after the time you need to leave. OHSAA only gives about a week notice for which game is on Thursday so that might take out vacation time. Some jobs don't even have vacation time so people won't get paid.

Most parents I know have more than one child. So say you have a younger sibling do you pull that kid out of school?

We will say the game takes 3 hours. So the game gets over at 10pm. If they hop in the car at 10:01, and drive straight home they are getting home at 2am. You then get to wake up and be at 8am and go to work again.

If you don't drive home you get to pay for a hotel and use another vacation day.

So let's do the math.
We will say two tanks of gas at 25 bucks for 50 total
A hotel room for 150
Tickets to the game for 4. (I believe tickets were 10 bucks each) 40

So we are already at 240 bucks.

The if my team plays I will be their argument doesn't work. They don't factor in jobs, other children, other responsibilities.

Now put that game in Columbus the hotel goes away. The vacation days go away. The hotel goes away. The gas gets cut in half. Columbus has a lot of great stadiums. If OSU doesn't want it, Crew, Upper Arlington, Gahanna Lincoln are all great stadiums I have been to in Columbus.

Think of Winton Woods. Thursday a 7pm game. It is a 4 hour drive. So if everything goes ok and you leave at 3pm and you hit no traffic you are good. Now factor in most people work, the standard work hours are 8-5. So Most people get off work 2 hours after the time you need to leave. OHSAA only gives about a week notice for which game is on Thursday so that might take out vacation time. Some jobs don't even have vacation time so people won't get paid.

Most parents I know have more than one child. So say you have a younger sibling do you pull that kid out of school?

We will say the game takes 3 hours. So the game gets over at 10pm. If they hop in the car at 10:01, and drive straight home they are getting home at 2am. You then get to wake up and be at 8am and go to work again.

If you don't drive home you get to pay for a hotel and use another vacation day.

So let's do the math.
A hotel room for 150

The if my team plays I will be their argument doesn't work. They don't factor in jobs, other children, other responsibilities.

Now put that game in Columbus the hotel goes away. The vacation days go away. The hotel goes away. The gas gets cut in half. Columbus has a lot of great stadiums. If OSU doesn't want it, Crew, Upper Arlington, Gahanna Lincoln are all great stadiums I have been to in Columbus.
Those stadiums you refer to cannot hold the State Tournament. This isn't the CYO "Super Bowl". There's more to it, if you want it done right, than that.

As long as Crew has grass, it's not happening there either.

Hopefully Columbus comes up with a venue and resources to submit a comparable bid. I personally think where they are is the best place but I understand where Cincy fans are coming from esp. for a Thursday game. I would be ok w/ pretty much anywhere except not at OSU or an NFL stadium, please.

2 things based on some other posts:
1. I am in no way in favor of playing the state championship games on a grass field. When there are turf fields available, it makes no sense to play those games on grass. Weather this time of year has the potential to really hamper a game via, rain, field turned into a mud pit, ruts, etc... MANY places have gone to turf for a reason. And weather is the number 1 reason, not money.
2. Posters continue to keep ramming Columbus and the Shoe down our throats. That is fine, but I think they have made it VERY clear they don't want the games.

So let's do the math.
A hotel room for 150

You are spot on with your assessment! You can also add the possibility of a speeding ticket, like I got! SMH. LOL

Most of the stadiums can definitely hold a state tournament.
Crew can't because of grass.

Gahanna.... 8,000 capacity
UA..... 11,500 capacity..... can you say absolute nightmare if you get two really big draws back to back? (also have to shut down school for 2 days)

Look, everyone (the fans) want their chance, I get that. However, the business component (like it or not, the $$) takes over.... Until a big venue owner decides to step up and help with the underwriting, it's going to stay in Canton.

And the drive is the drive......(far from "grueling" :ROFLMAO:) Somehow, the St.X swimming team and their parents have figured out how to make it work for the last 40 or so years....... with wild success.

Crew can't because of grass.

Gahanna.... 8,000 capacity
UA..... 11,500 capacity..... can you say absolute nightmare if you get two really big draws back to back? (also have to shut down school for 2 days)

Look, everyone (the fans) want their chance, I get that. However, the business component (like it or not, the $$) takes over.... Until a big venue owner decides to step up and help with the underwriting, it's going to stay in Canton.

And the drive is the drive......(far from "grueling" :ROFLMAO:) Somehow, the St.X swimming team and their parents have figured out how to make it work for the last 40 or so years....... with wild success.
The crew don’t have grass at the old stadium anymore. They put in turf this year.

that being said, it’s going to be the home stadium for the newly announced “crew 2” minor league team and still serves as the training field for the pro team. Not sure they’d want to rent it out. They’ve never put a bid in for it before, but they never had turf before either.

So let's do the math.
A hotel room for 150

Nailed it, I didn't get home to 3am Friday am & had to be to work at 730am. Took a half day Thursday so I could ride up on the parents bus. My kid has attended the HOF camp and to say that isn't a rough drive is crazy. I remember having to take my son to Columbus afterwards and I got lost it took me 2 hrs to get to Columbus lol

the OHSAA allows all venues interested to present a proposal. Don't forget the media accommodations needed in the requirements of the proposal. Have those venues create a proposal, have them be told no, then complain.

Not really the fault of Canton if their proposal is the top bid???
And “top bid” this last cycle was “only bid.” No other venue put in.

OSU isn’t the only stadium in Columbus there are plenty of venues. The drive to Canton from anywhere in southern Ohio is rough and the parking is horrible. Other then that playing at the HOF is great. I wouldn’t mind seeing it rotated around the state but we all know OHSAA will never do that
I don't understand why people keep saying the parking is horrible. We parked in lot A for all seven games. We got there about 45 minutes to an hour before kickoff for each. We never had to wait to get into the lot or to leave the lot. Took 5 minutes to walk from our vehicle into the stadium.

The drive from Cincinnati is grueling, I would like to cut the travel time to 2 hours or less every few tears.
Boring, maybe....

But grueling? C'mon......
Agreed. I would not call 275 to 71 to 30 grueling by any means. I have the same 3.5 hour commute from my humble abode and do not mind it at all. Love the games being in Canton. Hopefully they stay there for a long time.

Boring, maybe....

But grueling? C'mon......
Staying on 71 going through Columbus on a Thursday afternoon.
I can see it being nerve wracking.
For some.
I think it would be awesome.
To take the Hall of fame village concept. Down along route 70

I feel the hall of fame is packed in.
Just too much going on in such a small area.
I avoid the area other than week 10

OK alot here. First instead of coming on here maybe get with some ADs and get a package together to present to the OHSAA. Remember alot of people who volunteer to help do not have a child that plays or is even tied to a school that participates in the game. I t is not easy getting people to work the game. Stark county does a great job with recruiting people to help. The drive? I cant imagine being all #$%^^@ over a drive to see my child (or team) play in a championship game????? I WILL agree Thursday night games should go! Bring back Massillon. There are cheaper hotels then 150. Cincy to Columbus on a Thursday still would probably need a hotel. If you won the game, I would imagine one would stay for the trophy presentation and little fun with the other fans and team. All boils down to one thing: BID FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!!!! BTW congrats to all the State Champs from this weekend all your hard work paid off!!!!!! And of course GO TIGERS!!!!!

So let's do the math.
A hotel room for 150

It seems like Winton Woods HS and Tom Benson Stadium keep getting further and further away from each other. It will be a 4.5 hour drive before we know it. I'm seeing 3.5 hours but I digress...

I do get it, but I would assume that most people making the commute from WW would have a child or relative playing. Taking a day and half of vacation and dropping $300 - $400 seems like a small price to pay for such an event. BTW, Winton Woods was closed on both Thursday and Friday.

Last edited: