Why Canton?

Being from SW Ohio, I would like to see the games come this way or closer to this way occasionally. I think Fawcett Stadium is a fantastic venue for the games and I think Canton is a good city to host. There are plenty of hotels and places to eat and drink. Parking and getting in and out of the lots isn't optimal but it is manageable. I think the Thursday game is a bit much, especially if you are coming from SW Ohio. With that being said, there are plenty of other cities in Ohio that could be good host cities. A rotation could be cool, but I think the OHSAA would have to seek out places to host and make it worth their time and effort. If they continue to operate on the current plan of waiting for a bid, then the games will likely stay in Canton. Many of the smaller colleges, like UC, Miami, OU, Toledo, have stadiums that would be a good size to host, but do they want to.

2. Posters continue to keep ramming Columbus and the Shoe down our throats. That is fine, but I think they have made it VERY clear they don't want the games.
They've made it clear they don't want to games, right now. The easiest way for the OHSAA to get the games in the Shoe (which is what they want, btw) is to put them in Nippert for one season. I can almost promise you OSU will magically be interested in hosting again if the games get put in Cincinnati.

I get it, but I would assume that most people making the commute from WW would have a child or relative playing. Taking a day and half of vacation and dropping $300 - $400 seems like a small price to pay for such an event. BTW, Winton Woods was closed on both Thursday and Friday.
$300-$400 for many of us may be a small price to pay, but for many families, especially this close to the holidays that might not be the case.

I get it, but I would assume that most people making the commute from WW would have a child or relative playing. Taking a day and half of vacation and dropping $300 - $400 seems like a small price to pay for such an event. BTW, Winton Woods was closed on both Thursday and Friday.

Everyone has a different perspective. We are talking an entire state full of people. For me personally it is 70 minutes to Akron, 90 minutes to Canton, 3 hrs to Cbus, 4.5 hrs to Cincy. Like you, if my team is in I am going. The inconvenience is admittedly greatest in Cincy but the degree (to me) is pretty minor between all 4. Benson and Infocision are GREAT venues imo. Not familiar enough w/ all the Cbus or Cincy venues. I like Arlin too.

I like the idea of various neutral fields around the state based off of location of participating teams and potential draw, this was the condition in the earlier days of the the tournament so why not now? I understand they wanted everything in 1 location to make it easy for the OHSAA staff and for the coaching community to take in all games but with early December weather not being all that great the neutral coach isn't showing up like they use to. This would also allow all games to be played on Friday evening so you don't have the dreaded 11:00 Friday kick off.

$300-$400 for many of us may be a small price to pay, but for many families, especially this close to the holidays that might not be the case.
Understood, but would $150 dollars really make that big of difference then? Because per the OP, you wouldn't need a hotel if the games were in Columbus and you were coming from Cincy. So all other costs would still apply.

Btw, I know I'm splitting hairs here, but we only paid $108.00 a night out the door to stay at the Hampton just north of the stadium.

Nailed it, I didn't get home to 3am Friday am & had to be to work at 730am. Took a half day Thursday so I could ride up on the parents bus. My kid has attended the HOF camp and to say that isn't a rough drive is crazy. I remember having to take my son to Columbus afterwards and I got lost it took me 2 hrs to get to Columbus lol
That's a product of the silly 7 divisions.

The crew don’t have grass at the old stadium anymore. They put in turf this year.

that being said, it’s going to be the home stadium for the newly announced “crew 2” minor league team and still serves as the training field for the pro team. Not sure they’d want to rent it out. They’ve never put a bid in for it before, but they never had turf before either.
Good place to watch a game. Didn't know that they put in turf. That would certainly bring it into play of they wanted it. Outside of getting the field prepped with the proper lines, (would they be willing to do that?) there aren't many logistical issues to overcome.

I don't understand why people keep saying the parking is horrible. We parked in lot A for all seven games. We got there about 45 minutes to an hour before kickoff for each. We never had to wait to get into the lot or to leave the lot. Took 5 minutes to walk from our vehicle into the stadium.
Because they were smallish crowds 5/6 thousand. The parking sucks. With larger crowds, the parking is miserable. I am not against moving the games from Canton. I personally do not enjoy going there. Rotating venues would be fine with me.

Because they were smallish crowds 5/6 thousand. The parking sucks. With larger crowds, the parking is miserable. I am not against moving the games from Canton. I personally do not enjoy going there. Rotating venues would be fine with me.
Been there when the place was darn near full and the weather bad...... no problems.

You are at a football stadium. Expect to have to walk to your car.

If you are in a hurry, leave early.

Jesus Christ you people act like you have to drive across the country. It's four hours. if you think it's worth it you'll make the trip. If you don't, freaking STAY HOME.

I know we do this every year, but enjoying the conversation. Couple items:
1. It's been mentioned a few times, but the 7th division is what REALLY causes the problem requiring that Thursday game. Without that, we're talking about Friday & Saturday only.
2. Reminder that the HoF/Canton bid on the right to host the games. They didn't steal them with a mask & revolver. OHSAA awarded them. Just something to keep in mind when you start chucking spears.
3. Not sure we can have this conversation without someone from the MAC contributing. MSML & Coldwater have been to the final a bajillion times in the last 10 years and their trip is every bit as far as the Cincy folks.

The cranky folks still don’t understand - it’s not about travel time or any other “ comfort” consideration. It’s about money and staffing at a venue. The games get put up for bids often. Did your city make a bid ? Did it outline the costs to OHSAA ? Did it guarantee staffing to pull it off ? Parking ? Concessions ? Organizational details ? Did you win a bid ?
If the answer is no, stop ! Go complain to your local power brokers. Have them submit a bid proposal next time. Don’t want to ? End of story. Get beat by a better proposal ? End of story.

Otherwise, put a sock in it. You are looking stupid and foolish again............... again.

The cranky folks still don’t understand - it’s not about travel time or any other “ comfort” consideration. It’s about money and staffing at a venue. The games get put up for bids often. Did your city make a bid ? Did it outline the costs to OHSAA ? Did it guarantee staffing to pull it off ? Parking ? Concessions ? Organizational details ? Did you win a bid ?
If the answer is no, stop ! Go complain to your local power brokers. Have them submit a bid proposal next time. Don’t want to ? End of story. Get beat by a better proposal ? End of story.

Otherwise, put a sock in it. You are looking stupid and foolish again............... again.
Ok, so you never opine on anything you don't have control over either, just put a sock in it. It's a forum where people discuss ideas and opinions whether you like it or not. What are you a democrat or bureaucrat or both?

Benson Stadium is very nice! Not sure if the game I attended was at 10:30 that I would have made the effort.
It was 60 degrees last friday/saturday in southwest ohio, just saying! Nippert would be great, plenty of dining, hotels, etc all around. UC hosted their conference championship last Saturday.

Benson Stadium is very nice! Not sure if the game I attended was at 10:30 that I would have made the effort.
It was 60 degrees last friday/saturday in southwest ohio, just saying! Nippert would be great, plenty of dining, hotels, etc all around. UC hosted their conference championship last Saturday.
Nippert is such a cool facility! I used to go there a lot back in the 90's when Minter was there.

Traffic is Cincy is bad enough, it would be reality-tv worthy to watch 4-5000 fans negotiating those streets to get there! Buy one of your favorite beverages and sit and watch the chaos then roll into the game. : )

Nippert is such a cool facility! I used to go there a lot back in the 90's when Minter was there.

Traffic is Cincy is bad enough, it would be reality-tv worthy to watch 4-5000 fans negotiating those streets to get there! Buy one of your favorite beverages and sit and watch the chaos then roll into the game. : )
If 30,000 can handle it for a college game, I think 5 - 10000, could handle it for a H.S. game.

If 30,000 can handle it for a college game, I think 5 - 10000, could handle it for a H.S. game.
Doesn't matter, Nippert isn't going to happen as long as the state championships and conference championships happen on the same weekend (which they have for decades). Cincy could possibly host like they did this year, so Nippert needs to be free that weekend.

Those stadiums you refer to cannot hold the State Tournament. This isn't the CYO "Super Bowl". There's more to it, if you want it done right, than that.

As long as Crew has grass, it's not happening there either.
If those stadiums can hold other playoff games, they can hold the state title game. Nothing special about Fawcett. This visiting side there is worse than any visiting side at the schools I mentioned.

I also noticed how you did not touch on the cost that I list. I guess you agree I am correct in all those numbers.