• Russia

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Troy Christian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stop trying to reason with these people. First they had an issue with the small urban privates having an unfair advantage - so those schools were repositioned. You would think that would make them happy - but nooooooo. Now they are going after the open enrollment urban publics. Now next year they will have 7 divisions - and they will still cry. Until their mediocre team has what they feel is a fair chance there will continue to be crying complaining haters.

I wonder how many Richmond Heights kids that have gone to Richmond Heights their entire lives are on the varsity basketball team. How many if any that starts? I would find it disheartening to go to your local school your whole life and not be able to play a sport to represent your school. So many schools have a once in a lifetime sport team made up of all local kids but in today's world they have zero chance of winning a state title. Depending on the region, they wouldn't have a chance of even winning a regional title.

Seems like it means more to you than the kids?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have a vested interest because perhaps a child is on this once-in-a-lifetime, grown from the nutrients of the earth of younameit county team?

I don’t think it’s a mystery that RH brought in Harris (GlenOak), Cox-Holloway (Euclid), Hearst & Maiden (Benedictine), Wilson (Solon), Steele ( Cle Heights), Crumble ( Lutheran East) and all have been key contributors in winning one or more state titles over the last three years. They are an established program now and are going to continue to get the best players in NE Ohio whether people like it or not. I’m not sure why great players on good D1/D2 teams would want to transfer down and compete in the lowest division at Richmond but that’s what we are seeing, and it will likely continue.

Stop trying to reason with these people. First they had an issue with the small urban privates having an unfair advantage - so those schools were repositioned. You would think that would make them happy - but nooooooo. Now they are going after the open enrollment urban publics. Now next year they will have 7 divisions - and they will still cry. Until their mediocre team has what they feel is a fair chance there will continue to be crying complaining haters.
Clueless!!!!!

I don’t think it’s a mystery that RH brought in Harris (GlenOak), Cox-Holloway (Euclid), Hearst & Maiden (Benedictine), Wilson (Solon), Steele ( Cle Heights), Crumble ( Lutheran East) and all have been key contributors in winning one or more state titles over the last three years. They are an established program now and are going to continue to get the best players in NE Ohio whether people like it or not. I’m not sure why great players on good D1/D2 teams would want to transfer down and compete in the lowest division at Richmond but that’s what we are seeing, and it will likely continue.
Because now they are playing a D1 and National schedule. They will compete against the best the state and country has to offer - until.the state playoffs.

I'll give you a good reason why the best players in Ohio would love to finish out the season vs the least likely to compete against them, NIL.
The greater the appeared difference between them and other good competition the greater the likelihood they land a six figure NIL deal coming out of high school. Where there is reward, there is motivation. We added a new incentive to not only try for a free education via a D1 scholarship, now there is a pretty good income associated with getting yourself recognized in the new NIL era.

Facts we have to face as traditional minded high school fans, 1- this is not 1970, times change. 2- we are well into the era of the ability to relocate. Parents can find housing, jobs and establish themselves in a new community much easier than 50 years ago. 3- just because I'm traditional, does not make it wrong to be progressive. There will always be people pushing the fair or moral limits of perceived fairness as they look for that competitive advantage, 4- enrollment numbers in a fluid society means nothing today in terms of a teams ability to put together a top flight group of kids and build a highly successful program. Adding three more divisions next year changed nothing in any of these reasons.

I have concluded I am getting old, and my fond memories of community oriented basketball teams are just that, memories. My children have zero interest in following high school basketball today. They grew up and played, enjoyed their time, played for quality programs, but never won a state title. They learned personal lessons, as valuable today as when I played. Athletics taught then the same lessons of competing without losing ones emotions, developing skill to ones maximum potential, and reaching above ones capability when facing a formidable foe.

So as grandpa now, I realize my grandchildren will not play under my view of the best and optimal conditions, but they will learn the same lessons, should they choose to play.

As Yappi has pointed out on here many times, and I fully agree with him, enrollment number is no longer a good factor to be used to predict the best fair level of competition.

It. Is abundantly clear from the four state champions, collecting kids from a broad region, and bringing them to your program regardless of size is the formula for reaching the pinnacle . With that in mind I present the following as my perception from this 2024 season:

Best public school team- Richmond Heights
Best private school team- co champs Alter and St Iggy
Best homegrown talent from public school- Russia

Do you know? Please share why so many very, very talented players all decided to transfer to play at one school.
Because the vast majority of Ohio schools have open enrollment. Additionally if people can move to give their kids a shot at success and scholarship opportunities. Isn't that the American dream???? Or is that just for rural schools?

I wonder how many Richmond Heights kids that have gone to Richmond Heights their entire lives are on the varsity basketball team. How many if any that starts? I would find it disheartening to go to your local school your whole life and not be able to play a sport to represent your school. So many schools have a once in a lifetime sport team made up of all local kids but in today's world they have zero chance of winning a state title. Depending on the region, they wouldn't have a chance of even winning a regional title.
Look at you acting like you care

Congrats to Heights. The best team won. No one ever bit@$^s when Marion Local destroy's all of DVII in football. To be the best you have to beat the best. And I'm not dragging ML into this, they're just a good example of a team that's dominant in football.
Football is a total different animal than bball. Kirtland dominates in football as well but neither dominates in bball in fact no one did in D4 till RH came along with their transfer teams.

This is obviously a small town rural issue. St Ignatius won D1 and they are a Catholic school with 1400 boys that has also won so soccer D1 and hockey D1...but there aren't 11 pages of people asking where St Ignatius gets their starters from and if they live within a 5 mile radius of W. 30 and Lorain.

I am not saying people large suburban districts.and D1 public don't complain about Ed's, Ignatius or Moeller but I don't see Mentor or the Olentangy school or Centerville complaining on threads pages long on D1 thread the way D3 and D4 public fans go on and on and on...its weird and a shame.

A good high school coach wins with the talent he has at his high school. A good coach develops his high school's kids and coaches them to win. He doesn't need to bring in talent from all over to win.
So riddle me this. If a good high school coach wins a state small rural school ..then 15 years later on in his career he wins a championship at prep school or a Catholic power is he still a good coach , or did he become a worse coach.

If a college coach wins at a small school, then like gets a job at like Kansas or Duke and wins,.is he a worse coach?

Trying to follow logic but having some difficulty honestly.

A grown man complaining about attendance at a high school sports tournament is even more embarrassing
What is so embarrassing ? The games are on Sunday in Dayton. 3 of the teams that won titles are 3+ hours away. I'm the casual fan that would have attended the games in Columbus - but won't drive to Dayton. Plus Spectrum had all the games available to watch from the comfort of your home. Times are changing.

Communities arent going to show up for a load up team.

Think parents and students are all excited to see their programs hijacked from kids who didn't come through their school system?

Personally HS sports are about kids who have been playing with each there their whole lives, not who can recruit the most talent.

I look at it this way...if there was no such thing as sports, how many of the kids on a said team woulb attend RH, or the game now of Lutheran East......harvest prep?

I was fortunate enough to play on 2 title teams, and recall playing with each of my teammates at the earliest of ages.

THAT is what HS sports are to me.
That's where you are wrong. I can speak to Lutheran East. Kids go there for more than sports. It's a better environment than the publics IMO.

Also I think people would pick St Ignatius if there were no such thing a sports no doubt.

This is obviously a small town rural issue. St Ignatius won D1 and they are a Catholic school with 1400 boys that has also won so soccer D1 and hockey D1...but there aren't 11 pages of people asking where St Ignatius gets their starters from and if they live within a 5 mile radius of W. 30 and Lorain.

I am not saying people large suburban districts.and D1 public don't complain about Ed's, Ignatius or Moeller but I don't see Mentor or the Olentangy school or Centerville complaining on threads pages long on D1 thread the way D3 and D4 public fans go on and on and on...its weird and a shame.
Dig into the SWOH threads and you will find people complaining about Moeller/X/Elder, but not as much as RH. I think that is because the GCL schools are in D1 so while they can gather kids from around SWOH, they compete against the biggest schools in Ohio.

I think rational people will stop complaining if they choose to play D1 next year and those same rational people will rightfully yell louder if they play a D1 regular season schedule and a D6 tournament schedule.

Good for you….attendance figures reveal that many really don’t care for basketball in Ohio under the current conditions!!
That is not what it reveals. Maybe it does to you so it fits your agenda. Dayton is 3+ hours away for the fans in NE Ohio. I used to go to Columbus almost every year - I have not been to Dayton. It's no secret urban school fans don't travel as well as rural communities - stop rubbing it in, we get it. People care plenty. The state has screwed things up badly in football and basketball. Plus now you can watch the very good live coverage from the comfort of your home - which many do. That eliminates the long drive, fuel costs, food and maybe a hotel room. Watching from home does not reveal that you care less because you are not there live. Not all the fans of some of the school playing can afford a trip like that.